Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit consequences for Irish farmers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

pea be wrote: »

I was listening to that interview yesterday. I don't think he destroyed him by any means. It had potential to be a much better interview but O'Brien cornered him pointedly on his Minford point. It came across as cutting him off a lot though. I listen to James O'Brien quite a bit (his book is worth a read also), he interviewed him like he'd interview any other caller to his show. Thought he could have boxed a bit more cleverly than he did. It's a shame Mogg hasn't taken up his invitations to do a proper studio interview, potential for a mauling there but he keeps dodging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

alps wrote: »
    Great viewing from 47 mins onwards...our friend Sammy gets a mouthful and Mairead McGuinness plays diplomatic...great viewing afterwards also..

Must say Channel 4 interviewing is fab..

https://youtu.be/SR7JwVjWByM

Krishnan Guru-Murthy And John Snow are probably two of the best interviewers when it comes to calling out people’s BS. Unfortunately we haven’t had enough of that.
    You’d miss Paxman on Newsnight in times like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

can paddy power start a book on how much OUR patriotic professional classes will hike their rates BECAUSE of brexit.

and

will OUR learned economists explain why doctors lawyers engineers etc rates would have anything to do with brexit.

any guess what OUR politicians will do about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

downcow wrote: »
    Well you opening paragraph is a bit sweeping ie prods are the problem and catholics are all nice considerate people.
    There is fairly equal levels of sectarianism on both sides with the ira undoubtedly leading the way as an example of sectarianism
    I don’t want to develop this further as it’s fairly of topic

No doubt the IRA engaged in extreme violence and I could never vote for a hard left movement but the sectarianism was far more towards Catholics, unionists in Northern Ireland are Scottish, that is there ancestry and cultural influence, they really don't have that much in common with the English who for all their faults are not a religiously prejudicial people, Scots are as bigoted as it gets, different strand of protestantism practiced in Scotland altogether, read your history

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    Whatever about the DUP all the northern politicians are a disgrace they way they've behaved. Truth is the UK don't give a ****e about them and I'd wager if there was a vote in the morning here for a united Ireland it wouldn't pass. Crowd of crooked, old fashioned, stuck in the same old ****e bastards. Maybe Iceland might take them

The DUP would happily live on three small bowls of rice per day if it was the price to pay for distancing Northern Ireland further from the south, the economy going down the toilet is no concern to the Sammy Wilsons of this world, his ilk would live in a cave as long as they got to hang a union jack outside it

I don't vote SF as they are economically clueless but it must take the patience of a Saint to deal with those people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The DUP would happily live on three small bowls of rice per day if it was the price to pay for distancing Northern Ireland further from the south, the economy going down the toilet is no concern to the Sammy Wilsons of this world, his ilk would live in a cave as long as they got to hang a union jack outside it

I don't vote SF as they are economically clueless but it must take the patience of a Saint to deal with those people

On holidays in France a couple of years ago Nice actually went on a tour of the old town with a group Irish, English, American, one group from northern Ireland as they wanted to be addressed they didn't want to hear of the republic or the people that came out of it. English people appologised to us for there behavior that day they couldn't believe there attitude.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    On holidays in France a couple of years ago Nice actually went on a tour of the old town with a group Irish, English, American, one group from northern Ireland as they wanted to be addressed they didn't want to hear of the republic or the people that came out of it. English people appologised to us for there behavior that day they couldn't believe there attitude.

Had the same experience with Scots

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

When you read the prejudice and hate on many of the posts on here it is little wonder unionists have a deep fear of how they would be treated in a united ireland and why they are so determined to resist being tied into an arrangement of such by the backstop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

I dont see much hate on this thread apart from u downcow everyone else giving there general opinions about every divide but u are just a typical dup baby and i have no affiliation to any political/religious side

• Advertisement

When you read the prejudice and hate on many of the posts on here it is little wonder unionists have a deep fear of how they would be treated in a united ireland and why they are so determined to resist being tied into an arrangement of such by the backstop

No hate here, in fact personally I would support us rejoining the commonwealth as a friendly gesture to unionists, a united Ireland would mean compromise in areas

The DUP are an impossibly intransigent bunch however, at least the reverend Ian paisley was quite funny at times, the current leadership would sour milk

Long before I was born, unionists claimed Ireland was ran by the Catholic Church and they probably had a fair point but Ireland ( as a state) is almost outright anti catholic today yet unionists still want nothing to do with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

I am just saying what happened to me on holidays we had no resentment to them they had to us people on the tour were disgusted at what happened. Do we wont a united Ireland I don't know , I talk to all people that treat me well you are here to help the person that has a problem . Biterness gets you know where.

I am just saying what happened to me on holidays we had no resentment to them they had to us people on the tour were disgusted at what happened. Do we wont a united Ireland I don't know , I talk to all people that treat me well you are here to help the person that has a problem . Biterness gets you know where.

Minority of people in the south give unionists a pass for everything and republicans can do nothing right, say that as someone who wants a united Ireland but has no time for SF or any left wing party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

No doubt the IRA engaged in extreme violence and I could never vote for a hard left movement but the sectarianism was far more towards Catholics, unionists in Northern Ireland are Scottish, that is there ancestry and cultural influence, they really don't have that much in common with the English who for all their faults are not a religiously prejudicial people, Scots are as bigoted as it gets, different strand of protestantism practiced in Scotland altogether, read your history

Have to disagree there. It’s just that the orange side had more opertunity to discriminate because they were the ones in power

Have to disagree there. It’s just that the orange side had more opertunity to discriminate because they were the ones in power

So if the Catholics had been in charge of running the joint, they would have levelled the same discrimination?

" if my aunty had you know what's ,she would be my uncle"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Pretty worrying headline on the journal re €2.50/kg beef if no deal

Dunedin wrote: »

The forestry sector will need to hire a tonne more people to deal with applications

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

The forestry sector will need to hire a tonne more people to deal with applications

55℅ of our timber goes to Britain.

restive wrote: »

Yes but it takes thirty years minimum to grow a forest, time enough to forge new markets hopefully

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: The Norn Iron discussion is going off-topic for this thread and forum so as it seems to have quelled let's leave it at that, thanks.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭alps

Dunedin wrote: »

It's sensationalist muck....

restive wrote: »

Hope I'm not off topic but on ear to the ground last night, farmer near mullingar who planted his farm referred to twenty years of subsidies, thought it was fifteen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Hope I'm not off topic but on ear to the ground last night, farmer near mullingar who planted his farm referred to twenty years of subsidies, thought it was fifteen?

It's 15 years now, but was 20 up to a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

😃

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Yes but it takes thirty years minimum to grow a forest, time enough to forge new markets hopefully

Bnm would easily you up any timber harvested in the next 20 years once peat is fully phased out, serious shortage worldwide as the green agenda has created a huge demand for biomass to fuel power plants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's sensationalist muck....

It would depend on the level of tariffs imposed on English exports into the EU, 25% would be the minimum tariff imposed,
    EU'll need to make sure that they're not seen to encourage withdrawal from the EU. They'll have penalise UK heavily
    England won't be slow to impose tariffs if they're subjected to them themselves

wrangler wrote: »
    It would depend on the level of tariffs imposed on English exports into the EU, 25% would be the minimum tariff imposed,
    EU'll need to make sure that they're not seen to encourage withdrawal from the EU. They'll have penalise UK heavily
    England won't be slow to impose tariffs if they're subjected to them themselves

Yes and in the overall scheme of things, farming is not that important, France will still subsidise heavily its farmers but most EU citizens will live with fifty thousand Irish beef farmers getting a bum deal

Yes and in the overall scheme of things, farming is not that important, France will still subsidise heavily its farmers but most EU citizens will live with fifty thousand Irish beef farmers getting a bum deal

Yeah.
    Like the IFJ, I'd be very concerned, UK will sting us ''just to get even''

All together now.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

whats that i seen today on the quota of new zealand lambs? how will that afeect us?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    whats that i seen today on the quota of new zealand lambs? how will that afeect us?

Where did you see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Do we import our diesel or petrol through the UK or do we have a refinery in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Is it after Brexit..half is going to the uk and half to Eu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭alps

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Do we import our diesel or petrol through the UK or do we have a refinery in Ireland?

No refinery in Ireland now as far as I know.

Oil tankers docked in Irish Ports at the moment have come from
    Plymouth
    Barcelona
    Antwerp
    Palm Beach US
    Finnart GB

Pretty good spread there..

Update..https://irvingoil.com/en/operations-and-partners/operations/whitegate-refinery

Confused now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Is it after Brexit..half is going to the uk and half to Eu.
    Yeah, the NZ sheepmeat quota into the EU is halved once Brexit happens, half to the UK and half to the EU.

• Advertisement

I SUPPOSE THATS GOOD FOR IRISH MARKETS IN SWEDEN, FRANCE AND BENELUX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I SUPPOSE THATS GOOD FOR IRISH MARKETS IN SWEDEN, FRANCE AND BENELUX?

even without it, the uk exports a fair bit of lamb to france et al so that market will be there for the taking

yes but still we should be targeting the like s of germany and scandinavia more there has been huge immigration form muslim countries into these countries.could be agreat market. also we should be targeing usa for this meat, if we could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

ganmo wrote: »
    even without it, the uk exports a fair bit of lamb to france et al so that market will be there for the taking

Uk exports huge amounts of lamb. Be interesting to see how they cope

yeah could it spell the deathknell of sheep farming in uk? what about northern ireland huge sheep numbers in derry, antrim and down. the republic actually dosent have many intensive sheep lowland regions. rosscommon and east galway maybe. wexford,meath and kildare have good sheep numbers too in a lowland setting, after that it wouldnt be very common. what county would have least amount of sheep. ?

• Advertisement

Brexit explained in an hour. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

No refinery in Ireland now as far as I know.

Oil tankers docked in Irish Ports at the moment have come from
    Plymouth
    Barcelona
    Antwerp
    Palm Beach US
    Finnart GB

Pretty good spread there..

Update..https://irvingoil.com/en/operations-and-partners/operations/whitegate-refinery

Confused now

Whiddy is still operating even though it changes ownership every few years. Ive no idea of its capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Whiddy is still operating even though it changes ownership every few years. Ive no idea of its capacity.

Whitegate is Irelands only refinery, whiddy is just storage. Whiddy holds 8 days of irelands consumption, but its never full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Brexit explained in an hour. ;)

An hour of O Toole not for me thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

grassroot1 wrote: »
    An hour of O Toole not for me thanks

As good a summary as I've seen to date. Well worth a listen.

Happy4all wrote: »
    As good a summary as I've seen to date. Well worth a listen.

Ya, I thought it was brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

“With Brexit looming, STOCK UP on all your Detergents and Teat Dips to avoid Price Increases! Call Magenta Direct 053 9236256 Text STOP to unsubscribe”

At least magenta are watching out for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Ireland and EU discuss emergency funds to offset no-deal Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/05/ireland-and-eu-discuss-emergency-funds-to-offset-no-deal-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Wonder if they will try to inject money into farming by doing an enhanced GLAS scheme?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Ireland and EU discuss emergency funds to offset no-deal Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/05/ireland-and-eu-discuss-emergency-funds-to-offset-no-deal-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Wonder if they will try to inject money into farming by doing an enhanced GLAS scheme?

Well at least by doing that the money should bypass the likes of Goodman whom I’ve been told is already stockpiling need to claim intervention payments on.

_Brian wrote: »
    Well at least by doing that the money should bypass the likes of Goodman whom I’ve been told is already stockpiling need to claim intervention payments on.

Imagine what the trade would be like if he wasn't, it's an ill wind that doesn't do some good.
    In case you think I'm gone stupid, I don't believe it,

• Advertisement
Advertisement