Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit consequences for Irish farmers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Politicians seem to be capable of settling nothing without at least one all night meeting right upnto the deadline of anything.
    Brexit will be no different, I still 100% beleive a fudge of some sort will materialise that allows both the U.K. and EU say to their side that they got the better deal possible. The fudge may be the U.K. remaining or not but I don’t foresee the anarchy that some expect.

I don’t see flights being grounded etc, the fudge document will string enough stuff together to keep things going. Same for beef exports to U.K., I expect something will be done to keep Irish beef moving to the uk, damn sure Europe won’t want to see us turning to
    Mainland Europe to offload beef, French farmers would burn it at the ports, i can’t t see an intervention scheme starting either due to cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

In terms of movement of people north is going to find itself with a soft border made of hard ground between the south and a hard border made of soft water between Britain. And it’s going to take an insane amount of waffling and northie tantrums to get to that point.
    There will be a trade deal no doubt about that.

In terms of movement of people the north is going to find itself with a soft border made of hard ground between the south and a hard border made of soft water between Britain. And it’s going to take an insane amount of waffling and northie tantrums to get to that point.
    There will be a trade deal no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

_Brian wrote: »
    Politicians seem to be capable of settling nothing without at least one all night meeting right upnto the deadline of anything.
    Brexit will be no different, I still 100% beleive a fudge of some sort will materialise that allows both the U.K. and EU say to their side that they got the better deal possible. The fudge may be the U.K. remaining or not but I don’t foresee the anarchy that some expect.

I don’t see flights being grounded etc, the fudge document will string enough stuff together to keep things going. Same for beef exports to U.K., I expect something will be done to keep Irish beef moving to the uk, damn sure Europe won’t want to see us turning to
    Mainland Europe to offload beef, French farmers would burn it at the ports, i can’t t see an intervention scheme starting either due to cost.

Remember the deadline was october with the hard deadline in november so the
    time for through the night negotiation has passed.
    We're in the ratification time now where each member states rubber stamps the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The eu on its part has belittled the Uk to the point they very well may let the clock rundown and suffer the consequences, a worrying trend was brought up where the top brass ceos and business-heads in London who where pro-eu all along have been turned and appalled by the Eu’s stance throughout the whole process with the lack of leeway given....
    Anything is likely to happen at this stage a game of chicken is been played by both sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

downcow wrote: »
    kerryjack wrote: »
    I wish they pulled the pin and fuucjed off sick of it at this stage, never liked them anyway and if we could get a vote to run them out if the north i would die happy.

Who is “them”?
    You know then who came in to this country and took our best land, you know them if you go on holidays to spain take the best spots by the pool. You know them that caused great suffering in south Africa when they wanted to take over the place. Do you know them now.

You know then who came in to this country and took our best land, you know them if you go on holidays to spain take the best spots by the pool. You know them that caused great suffering in south Africa when they wanted to take over the place. Do you know them now.

Some of my ancestors were Scottish planters, then married “real Irish” catholic’s in subsequent generations.

What do we do, send some back ?? I’ve an few sisters I’d be glad to see gone, or maybe we each chop an arm off and post it somewhere ?

Or Is the fact that they lay with catholic’s get us a pass of some sorts ?

It would be good to know as I’ll not bother going back to work if I’m headed back to Scotland, I say back but I’ve never ever been, I ate haggis once so maybe there’s something to your post after all.

I never holiday in Spain and definitely never harm any Africans, maybe there’s hope for me?

Oh, I’m also an Irish citizen with an Irish passport, I can play tinwhistle a bit, but nonirish dancing, and I think Guinness is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭downcow

By they way you are talking maybe there is a fourth group you didn’t mention. Have a wee look in the mirror and say hello to one of the members

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭downcow

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The eu on its part has belittled the Uk to the point they very well may let the clock rundown and suffer the consequences, a worrying trend was brought up where the top brass ceos and business-heads in London who where pro-eu all along have been turned and appalled by the Eu’s stance throughout the whole process with the lack of leeway given....
    Anything is likely to happen at this stage a game of chicken is been played by both sides
    Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The body the uk were negotiating with were the EU civil servants, have you ever known civil servants to be flexible.

• Advertisement

Those damned Vikings, or is that the romans? Or is it those damned normans? Sure the Scottish planters have Celtic lineage so it can’t be them? The towels on the sun loungers are usually the Germans?

So the British say they are sick of Europe, European rules, European legislation and European people going to work there, they want to be the first country to leave the union.

And then get upset because negotiations are tough going, because they don’t get it all their own way ?? Really, that’s the exact attitude that ran though the Brexit vote in the first place.
    The EU negotiations have to be tough, it can’t be seen to be a good deal or easily done to walk away from Europe or there are other nations that would consider it, in no time the union would be gone.

downcow wrote: »
    By they way you are talking maybe there is a fourth group you didn’t mention. Have a wee look in the mirror and say hello to one of the members
    Don't get that one..what group am i in.

White skinned greedy dairy farmers buying up and leasing all the best land and feckin off to Spain to knock the Germans towels off the sun loungers while some Eastern European milks the cows.. And a bloody big sparkling South African rock on the missus finger.. go back to where ya come from ya hoors!

Willfarman wrote: »

White skinned greedy dairy farmers buying up and leasing all the best land and feckin off to Spain to knock the Germans towels off the sun loungers while some Eastern European milks the cows.. And a bloody big sparkling South African rock on the missus finger.. go back to where ya come from ya hoors!
    LOL great post

You left out fat, mean and bald.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I wish they pulled the pin and fuucjed off sick of it at this stage, never liked them anyway and if we could get a vote to run them out if the north i would die happy.

I'd say you're safe enough.
    There is a 200 mile buffer zone between yourself and NI.

So the British say they are sick of Europe, European rules, European legislation and European people going to work there, they want to be the first country to leave the union.

And then get upset because negotiations are tough going, because they don’t get it all their own way ?? Really, that’s the exact attitude that ran though the Brexit vote in the first place.
    The EU negotiations have to be tough, it can’t be seen to be a good deal or easily done to walk away from Europe or there are other nations that would consider it, in no time the union would be gone.

The Irish government no firsthand what the EU wants/enforces it gets (the guaranting of Anglo senior bond holders illustrates this) but if the Uk don’t blink and wto rules are placed on Irish beef/dairy going into their it will put milk back to 25 cent a litre consevatively and as for beef god only knows, I reckon the Eu would have zero issue making us the scraficial lamb to get their point across and if we are lucky a tiny token payment might come through to farmers

The Irish government no firsthand what the EU wants/enforces it gets (the guaranting of Anglo senior bond holders illustrates this) but if the Uk don’t blink and wto rules are placed on Irish beef/dairy going into their it will put milk back to 25 cent a litre consevatively and as for beef god only knows, I reckon the Eu would have zero issue making us the scraficial lamb to get their point across and if we are lucky a tiny token payment might come through to farmers

What your saying is one possibility, but in reality that is to nobody’s benifet so it’s the least likely outcome, single digit probability in my mind.

I still say the great political “fudge” will be produced to somewhat cover all parties involved.

The EU were never ever going to make this straight forward or easy. The Brits are like headless chickens making no sense and given what is going on in public is have little faith that anything professional is going on behind closed doors either.

Yes, this could all go diddys up for Irish farming, myself I feel it’s unlikely.

The sky is falling!!! The eu doesn’t want an ireexit any more than brexit and in the scenario painted above that would be our only real option. Whatever about a euro trade deal there definitely is no chance of any change to to trade between our neighboring islands.. the only time there ever was before that I know of was that gob****e develaras trade war?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Zeebsisgone654

The UK have to be let join the WTO first, the EU or any other member could delay or block their membership, must be unanimous approval of their membership

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Was that not the Dutch in South Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some of my ancestors were Scottish planters, then married “real Irish” catholic’s in subsequent generations.

What do we do, send some back ?? I’ve an few sisters I’d be glad to see gone, or maybe we each chop an arm off and post it somewhere ?

Or Is the fact that they lay with catholic’s get us a pass of some sorts ?

It would be good to know as I’ll not bother going back to work if I’m headed back to Scotland, I say back but I’ve never ever been, I ate haggis once so maybe there’s something to your post after all.

I never holiday in Spain and definitely never harm any Africans, maybe there’s hope for me?

Oh, I’m also an Irish citizen with an Irish passport, I can play tinwhistle a bit, but nonirish dancing, and I think Guinness is awful
    :eek:
    That's a Boards ban at the very least:pac:

:eek:
    That's a Boards ban at the very least:pac:

In fairness that would free up some serious time. ;)

The UK have to be let join the WTO first, the EU or any other member could delay or block their membership, must be unanimous approval of their membership

Wto rules apply its on page 30 of the action plan released today thy exact wording

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Wto rules apply its on page 30 of the action plan released today thy exact wording

Uk are in wto as associates of the Eu, they will need members to formaly recognise them as independent members(and any t&c's on their membership) 1st. Another thing lost on the cliff edger's.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

I said wrote: »
    Well will it be a disaster or opportunity for us?

Worrying times for the beef sector especially with a no deal brexit looking very likely.. I fear alot of suckler farmers will face a very tough coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

divillybit wrote: »
    Worrying times for the beef sector especially with a no deal brexit looking very likely.. I fear alot of suckler farmers will face a very tough coming year.

If suckler calfs are bad.finished stock are even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

If suckler calfs are bad.finished stock are even worse.

Last week's journal on page 8 predicts a steady decline in beef exports over the medium term but I'd be fearful if there was a no deal brexit it will be a big shock to the irish economy and the agricultural sector.. I think your average suckler farmer is particularly exposed. If the beef exports to the UK market are even temporarily stopped in the event of a no deal brexit what kind of uncertainty will that create and indeed costs on beef finishers trying to offload cattle that factories might not have a market for.. it's all only speculation...lets just hope MP's in Westminster will pass Theresa Mays deal in January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Advertisement