Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oscars 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

He announced today he was doing it.

I stopped watching the Oscars about 20 years ago.

Meaningless drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How many jokes that the Oscar is taller the Hart will be made.

To many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,595 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Vice, The Favourite, A Star Is Born and Green Book got most nominations at the Globes

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/2019-golden-globes-nominations-full-list-1165090

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm hoping it's finally Glenn Close's turn to win this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Am I missing something in relation to the Golden Globes... seems to be nominations for films that haven't been released unless they've been released already in the states???

• Advertisement

I'm hoping it's finally Glenn Close's turn to win this year.

I didn't realise she had never won, I think Lady GaGa is her biggest threat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I didn't realise she had never won, I think Lady GaGa her biggest threat

6 nominations and counting...I'm assuming she'll be nominated again for The Wife.

Ugh, Gaga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

He announced today he was doing it.

I stopped watching the Oscars about 20 years ago.

Meaningless drivel.

Hes stepped down

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/kevin-hart-steps-down-oscars/

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Does Lady GaGa really deserve a nom?

A good performance but it is elevated massively by her incredible singing talent. Her singing is not acting, that's what she does for a living naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

peteeeed wrote: »

Jesus that was quick.

Ah well, jog on....

• Advertisement

Bring back Ellen!

Otherwise, Steve Martin & Alec Baldwin together again would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

El Duda wrote:
    Does Lady GaGa really deserve a nom?

El Duda wrote:
    A good performance but it is elevated massively by her incredible singing talent. Her singing is not acting, that's what she does for a living naturally.

Just about to say that,never realized what a good singer she is,with all the sh1te she had released,Cooper is nailed on ,imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was about to suggest Kevin Spacey, who I've been saying for years would make a great Oscars host... and then I remembered. :o

I still think it should be an actor. Someone who really knows Hollywood, not an east coaster. Someone with a sense of humour and a bit of gravitas but who isn't a comedian and who really knows and loves movies. Getting a stand-up comedian to host the Oscars doesn't work anymore. Sensitivities in America are such that even Crystal or Martin would have hard time avoiding controversy.

I was about to suggest Kevin Spacey, who I've been saying for years would make a great Oscars host... and then I remembered. :o

I still think it should be an actor. Someone who really knows Hollywood, not an east coaster. Someone with a sense of humour and a bit of gravitas but who isn't a comedian and who really knows and loves movies. Getting a stand-up comedian to host the Oscars doesn't work anymore. Sensitivities in America are such that even Crystal or Martin would have hard time avoiding controversy.

Robert Downey Jnr seems to be mentioned as a possible host, could just all be online speculation

What about Ricky Gervais and Mel Gibson :p

Kevin Spacey would have been great!

Would it be too much to hope for Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum or Christopher Walken...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I'm on my own maybe but I have no interest in these gimmicky hosts that seems to be the rage these days. I'd happily sit through an Oscars ceremony hosted by someone like Russell Crowe or Emily Blunt if they were interested. Respected in their art and well capable of holding your attention without appealing to the lowest common denominator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A-list actors are pretty much totally out of the question unless the Academy is prepared to pay them. Most hosts get about 15k plus (substantial!) freebies. A comedian or media personalty will benefit from the publicity, but for a big name actor or star it's potentially a lot of work for little reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Give it back to Billy Crystal give him one last Hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,564 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That would, literally, be the greatest joke ever for any Oscar night.

Hart is considering returning as host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Oh boy, as if the Academy didn't have enough problems. Bohemian Rhapsody beat A Star is Born at the Golden Globes last night. If there are any more juicy stories about Bryan Singer's poolside escapades out there expect to be reading about them within days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Keatsian

If the Globes are a reliable guide to the Oscars, it looks like it will be a frustrating year. Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book both received mixed reviews, and from the trailers neither looks worth seeing.

Incidentally, why did Rhapsody and A Star Is Born get classed as dramas, but Green Book as a musical/comedy?

Not sure exactly how it works but I think it's mostly down to whichever category the studio submits the film to - based on what they think they have the best chance of winning. However, the HFP can reject them if they wish.

Keatsian wrote: »
    If the Globes are a reliable guide to the Oscars, it looks like it will be a frustrating year. Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book both received mixed reviews, and from the trailers neither looks worth seeing.

Incidentally, why did Rhapsody and A Star Is Born get classed as dramas, but Green Book as a musical/comedy?

Yes I thought both were under the musical category

Also what about Olivia Colman as host, could a nominee host?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Seen Steve Carrell mentioned online as a potential host, I reckon he would be good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

Keatsian wrote: »

I think "The Martian" was a winner in the musical/comedy class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well The Martian was neither a musical nor a comedy.........but it had great music in it and was funny.

Ultimately its just the studio's putting their properties into races they think they can win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The Oscar winners and the year's actual best films/directors/actors is a venn diagram. Sometimes there is a big overlap, other times they are completely different.

For me, the most satisfying part of the Oscars is seeing some young or up-and-coming actor/filmmaker get recognized for their work when they were pretty much unknowns the year before. It helps kick-start a career when someone deserves it. Much more satisfying than seeing Meryl Streep get her forth win.

• Advertisement

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a25799651/bafta-nominations-2019/

No surprise The Favourite leads with most BAFTA nominations

I hope Sam Elliot is a surprise supporting nomination for A Star is Born at the hostless Academy Awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Every year the films getting nominated for Oscars seem to be getting progressively worse.
    Its all so lazy .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a strange old awards season this year. Maybe it was because there was an exceptional batch of awards films last year, but there's something oddly lethargic and lazy about how things are going this year. Don't get me wrong: I'm delighted for everyone being awarded for their stellar work on The Favourite, and it's great to see Roma punching through the foreign-language barrier. But also feels like a few more traditional 'Oscar baity' films are in the running compared to the last year.

Obviously we haven't actually heard the Oscar nominations yet. But going by the precursors to that announcement, it's a haphazard sort of selection of films. Probably just my ambivalence towards A Star Is Born and disinterest in Bohemian Rhapsody / Green Book skewing my perception of things.
    Every year the films getting nominated for Oscars seem to be getting progressively worse.

I'd disagree with that assertion. I'm an Oscars cynic, but when it comes to nominations more good to great films have been getting the nod over the last decade due to the expanded Best Picture category. Look at the 90s and most years you're lucky to have one or two 'keepers'. Now you can easily have four or five - last year was a case in point with (IMO anyway) Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread, Lady Bird, Dunkirk and Get Out all deserving nominees. Shape of Water I wasn't big on, but still has more going for it than Shakespeare in Love, Crash, The English Patient, Argo etc... Moonlight the previous year was probably the best Best Picture winner in a decade. I mean, bad films are absolutely still making the cut when they shouldn't, but that's been the case for pretty much as long as the Oscars have existed.

Best Picture
    Black Panther
    BlacKkKlansman
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Roma
    A Star is Born
    Vice

Best Director
    Spike Lee - BlacKkKlansman
    Pawel Pawlikowski - Cold War
    Yorgos Lanthimos - The Favourite
    Alfonso Cuaron - Roma
    Adam McKay - Vice

Best Actor nominees ��
    Christian Bale, "Vice"
    Bradley Cooper, "A Star Is Born"
    Willem Dafoe, "At Eterenity's Gate"
    Rami Malek, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
    Viggo Mortensen, "Green Book"

Actress in a Leading Role
    Yalitza Aparicio - Roma
    Glenn Close - The Wife
    Olivia Colman - The Favourite
    Lady Gaga - A Star is Born
    Melissa McCarthy - Can You Ever Forgive Me?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Mahershala Ali, Green Book
    Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
    Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
    Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    Sam Rockwell, Vice

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Amy Adams, Vice
    Marina de Tavira, Roma
    Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
    Emma Stone, The Favourite
    Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

BEST FILM EDITING
    BlacKkKlansman
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Vice

Best Documentary Feature
    Free Solo
    Hale County This Morning, This Evening
    Minding The Gap
    Of Father and Sons
    RBG

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Black Panther
    The Favourite
    Mary Poppins Returns
    Mary Queen of Scots

BEST SOUND MIXING
    Black Panther
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    First Man
    Roma
    A Star Is Born

BEST SOUND EDITING
    Black Panther
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    First Man
    A Quiet Place
    Roma

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
    “Animal Behavior”
    “Bao”
    “Late Afternoon”(irish)
    “One Small Step”
    “Weekends”

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
    “Detainment”(irish director)
    “Fauve”
    “Marguerite”
    “Mother”
    “Skin”

Animated Feature
    Incredibles 2
    Isle of Dogs
    Mirai
    Ralph Breaks the Internet
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Makeup and Hairstyling
    Border
    Mary Queen of Scots
    Vice

Visual Effects
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Christopher Robin
    First Man
    Ready Player One
    Solo: A Star Wars Story

Original Screenplay
    The Favourite
    First Reformed
    Green Book
    Roma
    Vice

Best Documentary Short Subject
    Black Sheep
    End Game
    Lifeboat
    A Night at the Garden
    Period. End of Sentence.

Adapted Screenplay
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    BlacKkKlansman
    Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    If Beale Street Could Talk
    A Star is Born

Original Song
    "All the Stars" - Black Panther
    "I'll Fight" - RBG
    The Place Where Lost Things Go" - Mary Poppins Returns
    "Shallow" - A Star is Born
    "When a Cowboy Trades His Surs for Wings" - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

The favourite & Roma with 10 nominations
    a star is born & vice with 8
    Black Panther with 7
    Bradley cooper not nominated is a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

I'd have liked to see Toni Collette get a nom for Hereditary.

A Quiet Place would've been a good shout for original screenplay.

Shame to see Vice dominate so many categories. It isn't even meant to be that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Justin Hurwitz without a nod for First Man's score.

Probably the dullest list of Oscar nominations I've seen but on the flip side much tighter.

valoren wrote: »
    Justin Hurwitz without a nod for First Man's score.

Probably the dullest list of Oscar nominations I've seen but on the flip side much tighter.
    slightly suprised at that
    4 nominations but no best score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Some pretty weak movies getting best picture nods this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

slightly suprised at that
    4 nominations but no best score

Probably a case of "He's got two (oscars) already, let someone else get a nod"

The Favourite did extremely well. Tied with Roma for most nominations.

Pleased to see Pawlikowski got a nom for Cold War. Shame Joanna Kulig was overlooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bradley cooper not nominated is a surprise

He's in your list, second in the best actor category.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the plus side: the two front runners Roma and The Favourite are superb films well deserving of their ten nominations apiece. Would be great to see either of them triumphing in best picture.

On the negative side: whole lot of merely decent or mediocre films punching above their weight in best picture particularly. Felt like the Oscars had moved away from that somewhat. Particularly notable when some much stronger films like Beale Street, Leave No Trace, Widows etc have been overlooked (that’s not even going into foreign films like Shoplifters or Burning) and there’s only eight films in the running. Hell I’d say First Man, very much a theoretically Oscar friendly film, was better than some of what made the cut.

Hurrache wrote: »

sorry, as director

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hurrache wrote: »

Nominated for Best Film and Best Actor, but not for Director, bit surprising.
    Just think it's ordinary enough anyway.

Rami Malek and Glenn Close early favourites with PPs. Christian Bale worth a wager?

The Academy probably felt that Cooper doesn't need any more trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Such a bland year for (award) films, even compared to last year. Nothing as magical as The Shape of Water or as dramatically good as Call Me By Your Name. In fairness, I haven't seen The Favourite yet, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

Black Panther seems like a political nomination to continue the recent streak of Moonlight and Get Out. They were good films though, Black Panther is one of the more blander of the bland MCU films. What Eric Cartman said about the film is very true.

Only 8 nominations out of a possible 10 for Best Picture? Nicolas Cage and Mandy got robbed! Mandy is still my #1 for the year. For a "proper" film, I'm surprised Beautiful Boy didn't get any nominations, that film was brilliant.

Mid90s, Blindspotting, and Wildlife are more great films I thought had chances at some nominations. I'm guessing Under The Silver Lake was ineligible, but that was a minor masterpiece too...maybe next year's awards.

Is Mahershala Ali not lead in Green Book?

I am delighted for Sam Elliot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How is Bohemian Rhapsody doing so well?

Also, how come Meryl Streep was not nominated? Felt almost compulsory that she'd be nominated this year.
    Roma and The Favourite deserved for me. Have not seen A Star is Born as it doesn't appeal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Mahershala Ali not lead in Green Book?

I am delighted for Sam Elliot

No, Viggo Mortenssen is and was also nominated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good to see in a world gone mad, the Oscars still manages to be consistent in it feeling like a weird shotgun blast of films.

• Advertisement
Advertisement