Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Bohemian Rhapsody is not “Oscar worthy”. I enjoyed the movie as I’m a massive Queen fan but judging at as a movie it’s incredibly flawed. Even ignoring that most of I didn’t happen like the way the movie portrayed.

This happened.

Then this happened.

Then this thing happens.

AIDS

Live Aid

It’s got the worst structure to a movie I’ve seen in a long time. I mean did anyone get anything out of this movie that they didn’t already know. The best part of the movie was the last 20 minutes...and shur you may as well look up the real thing on YouTube.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

Oh I must have missed your solid argument and reason when you posted almost an identical response to a film in this very thread, compared to the one of mine you took such issue with :pac:

I must have missed the boards rules that require solid argument and reason with every opinion too!

I posted mine in the film thread btw, wouldn’t wanna derail a thread.

Aww did an insult hurt your feelings? Your response to my post was an insult. If you’re gonna dish it out, accept the replies turd lover.

You’re welcome xo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JohnCreedon81, murpho999, can you both take it to pm please and spare the thread, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

And there goes Bohemian Rhapsody's chances of winning Best Picture. Feel sorry for Malek who is now going to be forced to condemn Singer's actions over and over again for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

And there goes Bohemian Rhapsody's chances of winning Best Picture. Feel sorry for Malek who is now going to be forced to condemn Singer's actions over and over again for the next month.

I though Dexter Fletcher took over directing from Singer on it?

• Advertisement

I though Dexter Fletcher took over directing from Singer on it?

Yeah but the film was pretty much in the can at that point. Singer is the only credited director.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bohemian Rhapsody is not “Oscar worthy”. I enjoyed the movie as I’m a massive Queen fan but judging at as a movie it’s incredibly flawed. Even ignoring that most of I didn’t happen like the way the movie portrayed.

As someone with only a passing interest in Queen during the movie I was thinking, I don't think that happened or they have this out of sequence, wait what?.

Didn't Malek and Singer not have a run in during filming hence why Fletcher was brought on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Acosta

Even Ant-Man And The Wasp was much better than Black Panther

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Acosta wrote: »
    Even Ant-Man And The Wasp was much better than Black Panther

totally agree - I thought Black Panther was absolutely terrible. CGI was horrible, acting shocking, no real story or direction in the movie.
    We all know why it go so much 'praise' and that is fair enough but as a movie its just cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Elmo wrote: »
    Didn't Malek and Singer not have a run in during filming hence why Fletcher was brought on.

They had runs ins during production but that's not the full reason why he was replaced. Singer was disappearing or not showing up for set, and then in December 2017 he said he needed take time off to tend to his sick mother (think she he'd said she was in New York, but he was then spotted in LA hanging around). The stories coming out about him around #metoo were not helping matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Since when did sexual misconduct stifle your chances in Hollywood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

According to the BBC, the Academy are not backing down re the James Bulger film.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

totally agree - I thought Black Panther was absolutely terrible. CGI was horrible, acting shocking, no real story or direction in the movie.
    We all know why it go so much 'praise' and that is fair enough but as a movie its just cat.

I’m no fan of superhero movies but it’s not even the best one of the last year! Infinity War was better, Spider-Man into the spider verse is almost a masterpiece and even Deadpool 2 was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I have no idea how Roma is getting the acclaim it is receiving. The main female lead in there for Best Actress?!?! She doesn't act!! Jaysus.

Would win my award for most boring movie of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 85,135 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The only surprise win at the SAGs was Black Panther for cast

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Synode wrote: »
    Would win my award for most boring movie of the year

OK, so what was your film of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The only surprise win at the SAGs was Black Panther for cast

Black Pandering

murpho999 wrote: »
    Black Panther won the biggest film honor of the night, taking home the best ensemble prize, SAG-AFTRA's equivalent of the best picture award.

Other big SAG Award winners included Glenn Close, named best actress in a leading role for The Wife, and Rami Malek, who was tapped as best actor in a film for Bohemian Rhapsody.

Also on the film side, Emily Blunt won the SAG Award for best supporting actress for A Quiet Place, while Mahershala Ali was named best supporting actor for Green Book.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/2019-sag-award-winners-complete-list-1172263

How did Emily Blunt win for A Quiet Place?

Elmo wrote: »
    How did Emily Blunt win for A Quiet Place?

Regina King was not nominated :P

I would put Emily as lead in A Quite Place

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I would put Emily as lead in A Quite Place

It's a very average movie IMO. And yes when I read Micheal Bay's name at the end it put me off even more than when I was watch it. Sandra Bullock's Netflix movie sounds like a different version of the same movie.

Oddly I kind of liked The First Purge (Micheal Bay link), because the ensemble cast were good, the script was crap but at least the cast was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

murpho999 wrote: »

I watched very few films in 2018. I just looked at this 2018 movie list on IMDB and I think I've only seen 6 of the first 100. Of those 6, Ready Player One was my favourite. Then The Christmas Chronicles.

Roma was beautifully shot but it was just far too boring. And I stuck with it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture

It's a fairly weak lineup for Best Picture this year, hope Bohemian Rhapsody gets it rather than the usual boring predictable stuff like Vice. Still, the worst year ever has to be 1998 when Shakespeare in love beat Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Has anybody else seen At Eternity's Gate? I don't think it's getting an Ireland/UK release until March, but it is "available" online. I watched it today, primarily because of Willem Dafoe's Best Actor nomination for his role as Vincent van Gogh. It's a beautiful film, and I loved Dafoe's performance. I actually hope he wins Best Actor. He's been nominated three times previously for Best Supporting Actor, but this is his first Best Actor nomination.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wedwood wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture

It's a fairly weak lineup for Best Picture this year, hope Bohemian Rhapsody gets it rather than the usual boring predictable stuff like Vice. Still, the worst year ever has to be 1998 when Shakespeare in love beat Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful.

Actually the year before isn't great either as Titanic won over Good Will Hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

xtal191 wrote: »

Aiden Gillen ladies and gentleman. Where is his character's accent from? Nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Actually the year before isn't great either as Titanic won over Good Will Hunting.

And LA Confidential.

p to the e wrote: »
    Aiden Gillen ladies and gentleman. Where is his character's accent from? Nobody knows.

Does he ever change is accent? a mid-american Irish person who's lived in London for 20 years accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

On a quiet day, a trivia Oscar quiz.
    A selection of Best Actor winners from the past 40 years. The odd one out in each list and why;

List 1.
    F Murray Abraham (1984), Dustin Hoffman (1988), Daniel Day Lewis (1989), Philip Seymour Hoffman (2005), Gary Oldman (2017).

List 2.
    Robert De Niro (1980), Jeremy Irons (1990), Geoffrey Rush (1996), Jamie Foxx (2004), Matthew McConaughey (2013), Eddie Redmayne (2014).

List 3.
    Ben Kingsley (1982), Adrien Brody (2002), Forest Whitaker (2006), Sean Penn (2008), Colin Firth (2010), Daniel Day Lewis (2012).

Advertisement