Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

App sharing issue is likely to do with the fact that you both need to be logged into the app at the same time.

https://www.itead.cc/wiki/EWeLink_Introduction#Share_Control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

JHet wrote: »
    App sharing issue is likely to do with the fact that you both need to be logged into the app at the same time.

https://www.itead.cc/wiki/EWeLink_Introduction#Share_Control

Thanks for that - I'll try it later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To register you used to have to sign out and back into Ewe from Google so that it would pull the current working set. This is now remediated:
    You can now say "sync my devices" to Google Assistant (on your phone, Google Home, etc) to refresh all of your smart home services. For example, if you have Philips Hue lights and WeMo outlets, Google will pull the full list of your devices from those services. You can also just refresh a certain category, with something like "sync my lights."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

ED E wrote: »
    To register you used to have to sign out and back into Ewe from Google so that it would pull the current working set. This is now remediated:

This worked a treat. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Issues with third party integration today :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

ED E wrote: »
    Issues with third party integration today :rolleyes:

Seems to be sorted now. For me at least with Google home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yep good here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

This - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L31B2CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543836636&sr=8-1&keywords=%E2%9D%A4%EF%B8%8FMChoice%E2%9D%A4%EF%B8%8FSmart+Home+Zigbee+Wireless+Switch+Module+for+Echo%2FSmart+Things+Hub+Module+%E2%80%A6 - just popped up on my FB feed. Does this new unit mean you no longer have to flash the device with Tasmota to get it to integrate with SmartThings or have I read it wrong?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anybody having issues using the ewelink app connecting remotely? I can no longer connect to the devices outside my WiFi network. Trying to figure out if it's an app issue or Vodafone have the connection blocked to their servers

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

antodeco wrote: »
    Anybody having issues using the ewelink app connecting remotely? ....

Just checked mine and its working remotely both via Ewelink app and via google home app.
    (Apologies to the neighbours if my lights turning on and off annoys you!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

davegilly wrote: »
    This - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L31B2CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543836636&sr=8-1&keywords=%E2%9D%A4%EF%B8%8FMChoice%E2%9D%A4%EF%B8%8FSmart+Home+Zigbee+Wireless+Switch+Module+for+Echo%2FSmart+Things+Hub+Module+%E2%80%A6 - just popped up on my FB feed. Does this new unit mean you no longer have to flash the device with Tasmota to get it to integrate with SmartThings or have I read it wrong?

seems that it is a simple zigbee controller that can be paired with the smartthings hub amongst others, not like the sonoff device that can be flashed with different firmware. Bit more details here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

msmx5 wrote: »
    Just checked mine and its working remotely both via Ewelink app and via google home app.
    (Apologies to the neighbours if my lights turning on and off annoys you!)

Thanks. Is this over mobile data? If so, what network are you on?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

Spent a good hour trying to get these to pair and connect to wifi using an iphone.

There is a lot of stuff on line about people having issues with the first time set up.

Was at the point of putting them into the bin and gave it one last try with an android tablet and the process worked first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

What seems to happen a lot is that the phone will detect no internet connectivity on the setup SSID and doesn't allow any app use the wireless network and trys use its data connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Hi guys, hope this is the right place to ask but has anyone installed Sonoff light switches and set them up on google assistant?

My question is, if i have two sets of garden lights which are switched from two different locations, can i replace both light switches for Sonoff switches (wiring and wifi is fine ), group them somehow, and call them both Garden Lights so that a command to google home turns both on at the same time?

I’m both new to Google Home and Sonoff switches so it may be obviously simple, I just don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

GSPfan wrote: »
    Hi guys, hope this is the right place to ask but has anyone installed Sonoff light switches and set them up on google assistant?

My question is, if i have two sets of garden lights which are switched from two different locations, can i replace both light switches for Sonoff switches (wiring and wifi is fine ), group them somehow, and call them both Garden Lights so that a command to google home turns both on at the same time?

I’m both new to Google Home and Sonoff switches so it may be obviously simple, I just don’t know.

Do exactly this with plugs. I’d hope it would have been easy to create a group that Alexa (same thing really) would recognise but I couldn’t find a way so instead I Created a scene with EWeLink so that
    “When plug 1 is turned on, plug 2 turns on”
    And another for off.
    Works perfectly.

GSPfan wrote: »

I've done exactly that. Have 2 Sonoff plugs (called them "Socket1" and "Socket2") connected to two separate lamps in the living room. I created a group in Google home called "Living Room" and added both to it , I can turn on/off both sockets now by saying "OK Google turn on/off the living room" works a treat and Google responds with "ok turning on/off two things"

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

Hi,
    I got a couple of sonoff s26 today, amazing little things. I was wondering if it would be a big job to bypass the old and slow timer in our firebird 50/90 boiler. I would just like to use the sonoff as the timer instead to switch on and off the heating.

There is a single cable going into a mains socket to power the boiler and pump. I did test out the sonoff controlling it through that cable and it seemed to work fine, although I believe its not ideal as the pump will shut down straight away with the boiler. Is this a problem?

Also I am worried that the relay inside the sonoff may not like the load.

Is anyone familiar with this particular boiler and would it be as simple as taking a live from the sonoff to replace the timer switch.

Pic attached.

Many thanks

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Shpongler wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got a couple of sonoff s26 today, amazing little things. I was wondering if it would be a big job to bypass the old and slow timer in our firebird 50/90 boiler. I would just like to use the sonoff as the timer instead to switch on and off the heating.

There is a single cable going into a mains socket to power the boiler and pump. I did test out the sonoff controlling it through that cable and it seemed to work fine, although I believe its not ideal as the pump will shut down straight away with the boiler. Is this a problem?

Also I am worried that the relay inside the sonoff may not like the load.

Is anyone familiar with this particular boiler and would it be as simple as taking a live from the sonoff to replace the timer switch.

Pic attached.

Many thanks

S26 is a smart plug/socket. Your boiler shouldn't be run off a wall socket.

You want to just replace the timer switch with a sonoff basic (it's what I did to my own heating). I have a combi boiler so my boiler always gets power, but when I want the heating to run I pass 240V to a separate wire. This is pretty much what your old timer is doing. Get a volt meter/multimeter and measure the voltage at the pins on your timer against ground. On the output you should find a wire that goes to 240V when your timer is turned on, but drops to 0 (or there abouts) when the timer is turned off. This is the wire you need to connect up to the output on your sonoff basic.

EDIT: If you're not comfortable doing this, don't! Get a professional. It's a 5 minute job for them.

Thanks for that,
    Yeah a sonoff basic would be more suitable for sure. As the boiler was already wired to a mains socket when we moved in I figured I could use an s26 straight to power the unit on and off. It does work but could be dangerous.

I have a good understanding of electronics so finding the switched live cable shouldn't be a problem. I'll order a sonoff basic so. Cheers!

• Advertisement

Shpongler wrote: »
    Thanks for that,
    Yeah a sonoff basic would be more suitable for sure. As the boiler was already wired to a mains socket when we moved in I figured I could use an s26 straight to power the unit on and off. It does work but could be dangerous.

I've used a sonoff basic (and later a Sonoff Th16) to do exactly what you are planning.

As you seem to know, the boiler normally has a constant live supply (so pump can be kept running when boiler isn't fired - for example).

To use the sonoff just find the switched output from the mechanical timer switch and use the sonoff to replicate this.. ie after providing 220v to the sonoff inputs connect the live output to the same terminal the mechanical out is going to. I actually mounted the Sonoff in parallel with an older timer switch (which I programmed to be normally off) so either can be used to control the boiler if needed (with the note that once either is on the boiler is on -- you can't switch off the boiler using the sonoff if the old timer is ON when installed in parallel.

Thanks for the reply,

I found the output live from the mechanical timer and connected the live from the sonoff to it. It's working away fine. I don't need to use the mechanical timer anymore as it runs slow.
    One thing I am wondering is, do I need to wire up the neutral too, or is it fine as is?

I'm still going to do a proper job and order a sonoff basic and use the s26 for something more suitable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy Sonoff devices that ensure a quick delivery?

Every time I buy them it takes at least 2 months for them to arrive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

Amazon....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Amazon....

The last one I ordered from them nothing arrived. Following a 4 month wait they reimbursed me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yes.

Final question for the miin

I have a 4 zone house, two have motorized values which work based on the thermostat(house and water). Once the house is on then all pumps kick in.

I was thinking of putting on two motorized values onto the other two zone, then using one of these switch's to open close it. Does that sound reasonable?

The current heating is run using Climote but if it works I suppose I could use the same setup for everything

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Final question for the miin

I have a 4 zone house, two have motorized values which work based on the thermostat(house and water). Once the house is on then all pumps kick in.

I was thinking of putting on two motorized values onto the other two zone, then using one of these switch's to open close it. Does that sound reasonable?

The current heating is run using Climote but if it works I suppose I could use the same setup for everything

What opens/closed a motorised valve? A sonoff is just a basic switch. It allows power to flow through it or not. Is there a wire on the valve that once power is applied to it the valve opens or closes?

EDIT: I know nothing about how motorised valves work, so feel free to school me

• Advertisement

What opens/closed a motorised valve? A sonoff is just a basic switch. It allows power to flow through it or not. Is there a wire on the valve that once power is applied to it the valve opens or closes?

EDIT: I know nothing about how motorised valves work, so feel free to school me

At the moment the two motorized valve are connected to a thermostat. So once the thermostat gets to a certain temp it will close the value and also it is connected to turn off the boiler.

Now if I connected via the switch, I could manually turn on the valve and it would in turn send hot water to that section of house and then turn it off when I don't want. I would not use the switch to turn on/off the boiler. This would still be managed via the Climote system in place.

So I would have 4 zone, today I don't want bedroom 2,3,4 to heat up as nobody in them, just get switch to turn off motorized value, so then when heating turns on it doesn't send hot water to that section of house......other option is smart thermostatic values on the radiators but I have 20+ rads so it would cost a lot more

Advertisement