Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adults who don't drive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I learnt to drive when I was in my mid-20's. Didn't need to before then as lived beside bus routes and the DART so was always able to get around myself. The only time I have a problem with people who don't drive is when they expect lifts off you but don't offer anything in return for them. One of my best friends doesn't drive so if we're going somewhere, I'll drive. While she doesn't give me money for petrol, she'll often pick up little presents for me or grab the bill for lunch or something in return. I get that she appreciates the lift and that's enough for me. If she just expected it with no thanks, then it's a problem.

Likewise my brother in law doesn't drive and while it's had annoying moments for my sister, he rarely if ever asks for a lift anywhere and is happy to make his own way places so doesn't cause any problems for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I do think that driving is a necessary life skill and getting the test done and licence sorted as early as possible is a definite must.

If you choose not to have a car after that, fair enough, but the friends or partner you rely on to ferry you around might not be there forever. Life circumstances change and not having the ability to drive closes a lot of options off for you; certain jobs, not being able to hire a car for holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 swaner

I don't know, I am owning 2 cars, driving from 16 years, I couldn't imagine life without "wheels" :) So I respect people who save a fortune for not driving, but I don't drive them, usually I said when they ask for drive, I give the phone number of my friend who is cab driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Any idiot can drive a car, its not anyway a big achievement. DRIVING SAFELY is whats important.
    Not driving is perfectly fine..... only a complete idiot with think otherwise, theres lots of reasons why one may not drive.
    Some victims of car accidents may refuse to drive from physiological damage. Lifetime risk of dieing is 1 in 240 in the UK it may be worse here.
    I dont think you have seen photos from car accidents some are worse than war zones. What if your 3yr old was smashed all over the road could you still drive after?

What about climate change some people take it more serious than others, it takes on average an entire acre of mature woodland to offset the co2 of a car doing 14000km per year.

Yes i drive, but ive no problem with nondrivers neighter should you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I learned to drive when I was in my 30s and had kids. No real need before then.

And as others have said, the idea of learning to drive at 17 'just because' is pretty silly. Learning to drive is expensive and time-consuming, and driving is a skill that takes practice. If I did ten driving lessons and passed a test at 17, then didn't drive for another 15 years, I'd be a terrible driver when I restarted.

"everyone should learn to drive" has the hidden assumption that everyone should drive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I learned in my late 20's because like others here I worked in the city centre.

I wish I did it sooner purely for going on holidays around Ireland or renting a car abroad. It opens up a whole new world you couldn't see without a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 yyt

I couldnt imagine living in Ireland without a car if i was outside one of our cities.
    When i came home from Canada i had to use my mothers car for a time and it was hell and nothing but grief.
    I got a car as quickly as possible, got hit with the insurance jump having left the country for to long
    My gym buddy at the time i used to collect but he previously had collected me so it was no biggie
    But there is always people looking to use you for a lift which honestly i just ignore and dont do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I wish that i didnt drive/need a car. The cost is ridiculous but until publuc transport is magically improved i cant see a day where i can get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I'm strongly considering ditching my car very soon. Living in Dublin city so don't need it day to day, and with GoCars everywhere now it's actually easier to grab one of those as needed than use my own. If I roll my tax, insurance and running costs into a GoCar account I doubt if I'd even spend close to it all in a year so it's a no brainer really. No fuel, tax, insurance or repairs - it's the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I don't drive, but I do have a license. Got it in 2009 during the recession as I thought I'd need it for work. Got a job where I didn't need it, and my car was written off when the car park for our apartment was flooded. Took that as a sign and haven't driven in over 5 years.

I find the hardest thing is convincing friends that you don't need a lift. When you rely on a car you forget that it's entirely possible to survive without one. Way cheaper too. I live in Dublin mind, near the DART and multiple bus routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

silverharp wrote: »
    how can you predict the future like that? I think you would risk going on the undatable list. Would you honestly want to have a family with someone who wouldn't learn to drive, leaving the partner to drive everywhere, shopping , kids, nights out.
    That's the stupidest reason ever for not dating someone, no it wouldn't bother me at all, with how expensive kids are it would make more sense to have the 1 car. I'd be open to driving if a situation called for it but I don't see ANY possible future where I'd need a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I'm 33 and I don't currently have a car - absolutely no need for it, as I live and work in Dublin city centre and I have a free travel pass

How are you:
    1. 33 years old
    2. Working
    and have a Free Travel Pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm 40 soon and dont have a car licence. I've been driving a bike for the past 20 years and never really had the need for a car. My wife has a decent car and we've discussed me getting my licence for the car soon at some stage. Living and working in Dublin city meant it was never a priority for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

How are you:
    1. 33 years old
    2. Working

Disability that doesn't negate one's ability to work. The possibilities are pretty wide nth. Narrow minded much?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Holy hell. We're cross with people who don't drive now?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

People will always say that they don't depend on their partner to take them places, but they do, even if they didn't when they were single, it changes when they partner up.

If ye get invited to a wedding, it's not like you go "no love, you go in the car and I'll get the two connecting buses to the church and a taxi from there to the reception". Bollocks, the person who drives will drive to the church then onto the reception and back the next day. Same goes with needing to go out for cigarettes or walk home from the bus stop in awful weather when your partner is at home and the car is just sitting there. If they don't ferry you around, they end up doing messages for them 'because they've a car and it's handy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Disability that doesn't negate one's ability to work. The possibilities are pretty wide nth. Narrow minded much?

I'm not sorry for asking a question that is obvious to one such as yourself. Go chew on a chill pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

How are you:
    1. 33 years old
    2. Working

I was on disability allowance for a few years. (I'd previously worked full time for most of my twenties.) I've recently managed to get myself off disability and on to a CE scheme, however I've been allowed keep my free travel card. When I say "working", it's not like I'm earning much money, but it's amazing to have my independence and a sense of purpose back in my life. :) Plenty of people never come off disability once they go on it, I'm delighted to be off it and hope never to go back on it again ... the CE scheme is hopefully a stepping stone to getting a career of some sorts back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

I'm not sorry for asking a question that is obvious to one such as yourself. Go chew on a chill pill.

If that's how you take pills I'd say you might have a decent case for a pass yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Holy hell. We're cross with people who don't drive now?

"Anyone who doesn't do all the things that I do is essentially a tosser"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

engiweirdo wrote: »

Nope.

Most paying jobs would mean losing the FTP.

The poster has explained that their job is one of the volunteer schemes - that's how come they have both. Most people would have one or the other.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    If you had read my post properly you would see that I am taking aim at non drivers who are expecting to be carted around by drivers simply because they are too lazy / stingy to learn to drive themselves.

I did read your post properly, the fact that you said you wouldn't date a non driver says you have a problem with people who don't drive. Also lots of drivers give lifts without ever complaining so lots of people don't realise the inconveni

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wish that i didnt drive/need a car. The cost is ridiculous but until publuc transport is magically improved i cant see a day where i can get rid of it.
    Ebikes are getting so good now along with other forms of alternative transport that they are becoming a viable alternative to the car for a lot of people, you won't be doing Dublin to Cork obviously but living in the middle of Dublin a car is a bit ridiculous, total financial handicap. Personally I stick to a decent roadbike because I need to keep the burn on to stop becoming a fat bastard and I'm saving for a mortgage.

I honestly can't wait to see what the options are like in 10 years time though with the rate technology is evolving, young people in places like China and India don't even bother with cars anymore, they're all on Ebikes or Escooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Baffled that it bothers people that some individuals don’t drive. If you live in a city it is possible to get from a to b without your own car.
    The cost of motoring means one car per household make financial sense.
    Some people don’t take to driving. Some don’t drive for medical reasons and some for financial reasons.
    Don’t make judgements without knowing the facts!

If you had read my post properly you would see that I am taking aim at non drivers who are expecting to be carted around by drivers simply because they are too lazy / stingy to learn to drive themselves.[/quote]
    I did read your post properly, the fact you wouldn't date a non driver says you have an issue with non drivers and a bigger issue with non drivers asking for a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

owning a car while living in Dublin city centre is a positive hindrance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Any idiot can drive a car, its not anyway a big achievement. DRIVING SAFELY is whats important.
    Not driving is perfectly fine..... only a complete idiot with think otherwise, theres lots of reasons why one may not drive.
    Some victims of car accidents may refuse to drive from physiological damage. Lifetime risk of dieing is 1 in 240 in the UK it may be worse here.
    I dont think you have seen photos from car accidents some are worse than war zones. What if your 3yr old was smashed all over the road could you still drive after?

You know that a lot of people killed in accidents are pedestrians.
    And get this you can die as a passenger in a car also. :eek:
    owning a car while living in Dublin city centre is a positive hindrance

This isn't about not owning or driving a car, it is about people who actually can't drive, some have never even tried or just given up.

I know of a lad, early 30s who can't drive, refuses to learn.
    Now he gets lifts from two different people to work.
    Both those people will be retired in 5 years.
    There is no suitable public transport to get him to work.
    Actually it would improve his work prospects if sometimes he could hop in a van, but no he can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have a car. Don't really need one as I live in Cork city and there are buses. However, it's handy for when I visit my hometown in Kerry. Also my partners family live in the countryside. He keeps saying he'll learn to drive but doesn't seem to have much interest. Would be nice to share the driving with someone on long journeys but what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I don't have one as the cost is too much for me.

If you have diabetes, generally your license is only for 3 years and on top of that you need to do a medical assesment a month before which is more of an expense. So for me at the moment, there's no point in driving us it's not financially viable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I didn't start learning to drive until I was 37. I had no need to drive before then. As a learner driver I occasionally felt a bit embarrassed to have L plates and an accompanying driver, especially around fully licensed people who were clearly a lot younger than me. And I'd chastise myself for not learning sooner. Then I'd remember the lovely detached house I bought for cash when I was 35 and be relieved I'd never been so stupid as to spend a couple of decades wasting thousands of euros a year on a car I had no need for.

It makes sense to not waste money on a skill that's expensive to gain and maintain. Because when the time comes that you do need it, it really doesn't take that long to get to grips with. I drive all the time now. I've racked up more driving time in the last year and a half than many people do in a decade. I have two vehicles, a car and a campervan and driving the latter, a large heavy vehicle with no rear view requires a reasonably different skillset that many people who have been driving 20 years would struggle to get to grips with. I'm glad I've learned to drive, having the camper in particular gives me access to a lifestyle I couldn't have as a non driver. But waiting to learn until I was at a point in my life where I needed to drive and could afford to drive also contributed to my current lifestyle in positive ways so I'm glad I waited until it was necessary.

Advertisement