Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

http://www.punditarena.com/mma/sraftery/joe-rogan-claims-floyd-mayweather-2/

Rogan says Dana and flyod are in talks for the second finght in the octagon
    Ah Rogan talks a load of hoop. Why in the world would Floyd ever possibly agree to that? It would make less money than a boxing match and he would literally stand a 0% chance of winning.
    I know Rogan is quoting Dana White but this is the same guy who kept telling everyone that McGregor was going to fight Khabib in Russia in December. Complete nonsense

Ah Rogan talks a load of hoop. Why in the world would Floyd ever possibly agree to that? It would make less money than a boxing match and he would literally stand a 0% chance of winning.
    I know Rogan is quoting Dana White but this is the same guy who kept telling everyone that McGregor was going to fight Khabib in Russia in December. Complete nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

1 kick in the head and it's over, not a hope of this happening

They couldn't even advertise it that Floyd had a punchers chance, it took Floyd 30 mins of punches only to put McGregor away first time around and he didn't even KO him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

dulux99 wrote: »
    They couldn't even advertise it that Floyd had a punchers chance, it took Floyd 30 mins of punches only to put McGregor away first time around and he didn't even KO him.

Don't think this is going to happen but if it did it does astronomical numbers. He doesn't have to have a punchers chance. People will tune in to see him get knocked clean out with a spinning head kick, or to see him
    " tap out like a little bitch"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Isn't this the Conor McGregor thread?

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Floyd let it take 30 minutes of punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

he didn't even KO him.

Lol

he didn't even KO him.

Lol
    What's "Lol" about it? It was a technical knockout where McGregor didn't touch the canvas. That's not a KO.
    If you think I'm trying to stand up for McGregor's performance in the ring - I'm not. I'm under no illusions that Floyd was in control of every moment of the fight, and gave away the rounds. My point that Floyd didn't KO Conor is in conjunction with pointing out the absurdity of McGregor vs Mayweather in an MMA fight.

They're all the same. The ref saved him.

Floyd didn't KO him the way McGregor didn't KO Alvarez, Mendes etc. Pedantic nonsense.

• Advertisement

Floyd didn't KO him the way McGregor didn't KO Alvarez, Mendes etc. Pedantic nonsense.
    What are you on about? None of the examples you listed above were KO's. They're all TKO's.

What are you on about? None of the examples you listed above were KO's. They're all TKO's.

That's the point. If you don't think McGregor knocked out Alvarez, you're an idiot.

That's the point. If you don't think McGregor knocked out Alvarez, you're an idiot.

This is a stupid argument. You're trying to say all KO's are the same. They're not. McGregor dropped Alvarez numerous times en route to a TKO. He dropped Aldo with 1 punch and KO'd him unconscious. This is the difference between a KO and TKO.

Right, so even though TKO stands for Technical Knockout, you don't think McGregor KOed him. Grand job.

Whether it's a KO or TKO, it's still the other person getting knocked out. There is nowhere, in either boxing or MMA, that defines a knockout as knocking someone unconscious.

McGregor knocked out Alvarez.
    Floyd knocked out McGregor.

I'm done with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Right, so even though TKO stands for Technical Knockout, you don't think McGregor KOed him. Grand job.

Whether it's a KO or TKO, it's still the other person getting knocked out. There is nowhere, in either boxing or MMA, that defines a knockout as knocking someone unconscious.

I'm done with this.

The only person Conor "knocked out" in the UFC was Aldo.

I'm done with this.

It's called a knock-out. It's a fairly self descriptive term. To knock someone out is to separate them from consciousness, ie Ngannou on Overeem. If the ref needs to step in then this is a technical knockout. There's a reason why fights are ruled this way....but I guess all the referees are wrong and you're right.

So when a boxer's record is read out, and they call out how many of his wins are by knockout, they don't count TKOs then, no? Again, grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Yous are all mad lads its christmas relax a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So when a boxer's record is read out, and they call out how many of his wins are by knockout, they don't count TKOs then, no? Again, grand job.

Yeah I don't get this. Whether it's a mark hunt walk off or a swarming ref jumping in because the other guy is in LA LA land it's a knockout.
    Even when someone is turtling and barely covering up, they're out of it, it's just primal instinct at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

KO's and TKO's are lumped together mainly for promotional purposes. It's easier for the UFC to say Conor has 18 KO's rather than get into a breakdown of TKO's.

Saying they are always the same thing, though, is crazy. Sometimes they are! In fact, sometimes a TKO can be even worse than a KO. Chris Weidman nearly pounded Mark Munoz's head into oblivion before Josh Rosenthal jumped in.

Generally a KO is an objective fact, whereas a TKO is always a subjective opinion (either from the ref, the doctor, the fighter or his/her corner). When the subjective opinion is a bad one, it can be anything from attempted murder to the furthest thing from a knockout.

Objectively, Alistair Overeem was unconscious the other week and could not continue to fight. There's not much room for opinion when the guy is on the floor asleep with his toes curled up, stiff as a board.

Subjectively, Herb Dean decided Homasi couldn't continue, despite it being obvious to literally everyone else that he could. Fair play to the UFC for re-booking the fight for next week but it still goes down in the record books as a knockout loss.

To say both of them are automatically the same thing (a knockout) is a bit nuts when one guy was asleep and the other guy was busy protesting a stupid refereeing decision.

We get dozens - if not hundreds - of fights every year in MMA where a trigger-happy ref stops the contest far too early and fighters get awarded dubious "knockout" victories while their irate opponent remonstrates about it. Even Conor started immediately arguing with Robert Byrd as soon as he stepped in. He was saying "ah ref!" straight away.

Take the Chiesa-Lauzon fight. That's in the record books as a knockout (TKO) win for Joe Lauzon but in reality Chiesa was grand, he could have fought on and won - other than the doctor deciding for his health he needed stitches for the cut on his eyebrow and called the fight off.

Nobody (including Joe Lauzon) would say Chiesa was knocked out but, again, the record books say he was.

I suppose it's semantics but I do think it's silly to lump all KO's and TKO's in as "knockouts" because it devalues the meaning of the word. What Francis Ngannou did to Overeem was something special and doesn't deserve to be in the same category as Michael Chiesa getting a bad cut on his eyebrow or a ref jumping in too soon.

The closest Conor came to being knocked out remains the Diaz 1 contest because Nate was able to do something Floyd (or anyone else) couldn't do - wobble him with a punch.

I do wonder how long Conor's granite chin will last. He relies on it far less in recent years but there was a long stretch at featherweight he was just walking through punches. It's actually crazy re-watching the Siver and Mendes fights how much they were able to hit him cleanly.

Conor's 4 clean KO's remain Aldo, Buchinger, O' Keefe and Doherty because they all went for a momentary snooze. The worst of the lot was probably the O' Keefe fight, they were brutal elbows and fair play to Marc Goddard for stopping it because a lesser ref lets him take way more damage.

TL;DR - Floyd isn't even counting it as a knockout.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/09/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-brain-damage

"Floyd Mayweather says he didn't knock out Conor McGregor to protect him from brain damage"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

KO's and TKO's are lumped together mainly for promotional purposes. It's easier for the UFC to say Conor has 18 KO's rather than get into a breakdown of TKO's.

Saying they are always the same thing, though, is crazy. Sometimes they are! In fact, sometimes a TKO can be even worse than a KO. Chris Weidman nearly pounded Mark Munoz's head into oblivion before Josh Rosenthal jumped in.

Generally a KO is an objective fact, whereas a TKO is always a subjective opinion (either from the ref, the doctor, the fighter or his/her corner). When the subjective opinion is a bad one, it can be anything from attempted murder to the furthest thing from a knockout.

Objectively, Alistair Overeem was unconscious the other week and could not continue to fight. There's not much room for opinion when the guy is on the floor asleep with his toes curled up, stiff as a board.

Subjectively, Herb Dean decided Homasi couldn't continue, despite it being obvious to literally everyone else that he could. Fair play to the UFC for re-booking the fight for next week but it still goes down in the record books as a knockout loss.

To say both of them are automatically the same thing (a knockout) is a bit nuts when one guy was asleep and the other guy was busy protesting a stupid refereeing decision.

We get dozens - if not hundreds - of fights every year in MMA where a trigger-happy ref stops the contest far too early and fighters get awarded dubious "knockout" victories while their irate opponent remonstrates about it. Even Conor started immediately arguing with Robert Byrd as soon as he stepped in. He was saying "ah ref!" straight away.

Take the Chiesa-Lauzon fight. That's in the record books as a knockout (TKO) win for Joe Lauzon but in reality Chiesa was grand, he could have fought on and won - other than the doctor deciding for his health he needed stitches for the cut on his eyebrow and called the fight off.

Nobody (including Joe Lauzon) would say Chiesa was knocked out but, again, the record books say he was.

I suppose it's semantics but I do think it's silly to lump all KO's and TKO's in as "knockouts" because it devalues the meaning of the word. What Francis Ngannou did to Overeem was something special and doesn't deserve to be in the same category as Michael Chiesa getting a bad cut on his eyebrow or a ref jumping in too soon.

The closest Conor came to being knocked out remains the Diaz 1 contest because Nate was able to do something Floyd (or anyone else) couldn't do - wobble him with a punch.

I do wonder how long Conor's granite chin will last. He relies on it far less in recent years but there was a long stretch at featherweight he was just walking through punches. It's actually crazy re-watching the Siver and Mendes fights how much they were able to hit him cleanly.

Conor's 4 clean KO's remain Aldo, Buchinger, O' Keefe and Doherty because they all went for a momentary snooze. The worst of the lot was probably the O' Keefe fight, they were brutal elbows and fair play to Marc Goddard for stopping it because a lesser ref lets him take way more damage.

TL;DR - Floyd isn't even counting it as a knockout.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/09/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-brain-damage

"Floyd Mayweather says he didn't knock out Conor McGregor to protect him from brain damage"

Disagree Floyd was going to knock him out with a couple more punches imo

also i was at the Siver fight and i cant remember Siver landing at all. Mendes i remember him taking unneccessary smacks alright

Good second captains podcast discussing McGregor yesterday with an excerpt from their live shows a couple of weeks ago. Ken Early, Laura Kennedy and Ewan McKenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He’s gone into overdrive with pictures of himself with Dee lately.

The PR machine has kicked into gear. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Paully D wrote: »
    He’s gone into overdrive with pictures of himself with Dee lately.

The PR machine has kicked into gear. :pac:

Conor Jr. trolling :pac:

436832.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

On the Siver fight - don't think I've seen a more one-sided bout tbh, don't recall Siver landing much of note at all. Mendes he was cracked a bit and got cut up on his back.

Somebody pointed out recently during the Aldo Holloway fight that Max took a full uppercut from Jose, and clapped it off - they stated that the height difference is what helps here, Mendes or a shorter fighter than Max or Conor takes that hit and it's quite possible it's lights out. Height advantage means that even if landing flush, an opponent mightn't generate as much power behind the punch.

I think that might be what we saw with McGregor at FW - he was bigger, he was getting caught but perhaps he wasn't getting hit with the full torque of his opponents punches? Just a thought.

The Diaz punch that stunned him I'll always remember - I'd been wondering when he'd get hit and wobbled like he'd done to so many fellas at FW, the minute he got wobbled you were concerned because of how well Diaz plays those situations - he'll talk shít and continue to light you up, he forced McGregor to look for a take down, which wasn't the answer, but he'd had enough on his feet.

*Waits for the "he wasn't hurt, he was just gassed out so it looked like he was hurt” comments*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

he wasn't hurt, he was just gassed out so it looked like he was hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

D'Agger wrote: »
    On the Siver fight - don't think I've seen a more one-sided bout tbh, don't recall Siver landing much of note at all. Mendes he was cracked a bit and got cut up on his back.

Don't get me wrong, Conor demolished him but, still, Siver landed some nice shots. Conor ate them and kept walking forward. Here's a handful that landed clean:

3:29 - Siver takes Conor off his base with a powerful inside leg kick.
    4:36 - Beautiful left hand counter lands plum on Conor's chin.
    5:16 - Again drops him with a power low kick.
    5:31 - Liver kick lands clean enough, maybe partially blocked.
    5:41 - Left hand lands clean.
    7:05 - Right hand counter snaps Conor's head back.
    7:51 - Right hand counter lands.
    9:08 - Left hand counter lands.

Obviously it's a fight so he's bound to get hit but I feel his defence tightened up substantially after the Diaz 1 loss. In the early rounds against Nate (rematch) and Eddie, you'd be struggling to pick out any meaningful shots landing on him.

I think he didn't respect the power of the featherweights so figured he could just take the smacks and keep moving forward but against Nate he was badly hurt for the first time in his career so he adopted a very risk-averse approach since then.

I'm also very surprised more fighters don't study this fight. Eddie Alvarez opened up with a power low-kick in the first round against Conor and took him off his base but then abandoned it for some unknown reason. Siver is about the only guy off the top of my head to consistently throw the power inside-kick to Conor's lead-leg and it had fantastic results - twice taking him off his base, and led Conor to switch orthodox at one point.

Easier said than done I suppose but if Siver can manage to do it you'd have to suspect someone like Barboza could execute it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Pretty sure that unknown reason is that Conor checked the third leg kick and Eddie didnt like it, and sure then he was on queer street not long later!

• Advertisement

If Conor v Floyd mma fight happens, Conor will let him survive in the same way Floyd did during the boxing fight. There will be an agreement before hand imo, Conor is all about the $$$$

edit: what I am saying is UFC is turning into WWE lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement