Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

darced wrote: »

Interesting stuff. Where would I find this or what would I search for? Is that only for watching it live or including replays? Do you know any way of checking Slys recent PPV event figures?

Taking McGregor/Aldo as the most recent example and we'll just base it on the early PPV price of £15(think it usually goes upto £20 if purchases on the day) that would have an income of £1.86m.....obviously only IF all those viewers bought the PPV package. Usually PPV fights are only shown on the standard SS channels about 1 week after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I reckon Sky could do that very thing, buy it and have PPV's for Conor and Ronda if she ever comes back.

They only really seem to cover MMA when Conor is involved. I hope they don't get it though, I like that BT just have the American coverage, I could see Sky sending their own presenters to the show for commentary and analysis.

darced wrote: »

Its a pretty confusing website lol I'll try and get my head around it tomorrow. Yeah thats what I was saying maybe only be a few selected events for PPV and obviously with the interest in Conor ATM it would most likely be him.....unfortunately some people seem to insist that I meant every UFC event :rolleyes::D
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I could see Sky sending their own presenters to the show for commentary and analysis.

Well yes its obviously a possibility but Dana has said 1 main principles with the UFC coverage is that they sell it as a package and do everything themselves. Maybe (again IF sly happens) its more likely they'll have their own studio with a few fighters/pundits and talk before and after the fights in a similar way to what fox sports are currently doing,except they're in the arena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I reckon Sky could do that very thing, buy it and have PPV's for Conor and Ronda if she ever comes back.

They only really seem to cover MMA when Conor is involved. I hope they don't get it though, I like that BT just have the American coverage, I could see Sky sending their own presenters to the show for commentary and analysis.

And they wouldn't even be MMA presenters. Would laugh if they sent Froch and Nelson over to cover the events.

On the bright side, there'd more than likely be no more Gareth Davies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Devastator wrote: »

Taking McGregor/Aldo as the most recent example and we'll just base it on the early PPV price of £15(think it usually goes upto £20 if purchases on the day) that would have an income of £1.86m.....obviously only IF all those viewers bought the PPV package. Usually PPV fights are only shown on the standard SS channels about 1 week after the event.

Pre WWE Network, PPV purchases for Wrestling fans converted to generally 10% of TV show viewers for most PPVs bar the big ones.

There is literally no profit making here for Sky Sports. More advertising money up for grabs. BT have ramped up advertising for the numbered events now. They used to have no ads on them in years gone by.

Not sure why someone keeps calling them 'Sly' either.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Pre WWE Network, PPV purchases for Wrestling fans converted to generally 10% of TV show viewers for most PPVs bar the big ones.

There is literally no profit making here for Sky Sports. More advertising money up for grabs. BT have ramped up advertising for the numbered events now. They used to have no ads on them in years gone by.

Not sure why someone keeps calling them 'Sly' either.

I'm not sure using wrestling is a fair example. I thought the majority(or certainly a lot) of wrestling fans were kids who would not be in the position to pay for a PPV event possibly leading to the low numbers quoted. Whereas the majority of UFC fans would be adults, have bank accounts and credit cards who can pay for PPV events. I've not watched wrestling since I was about 12 but thats the impression I get.

Not sure why you would quote me then refer to me as "someone" but whatever. Its my pet name for the rupert murdoch owned company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

That's it wandi get back in your box you moron. He will be realised and be fighting in Rizin I'd assume.

Edit- yep he was realised and will go straight to Rizin.

Wanderlei Silva

Silva's Retraction
    I Was Wrong, apologize.

"In July of last year, I posted a number of comments on Facebook and Twitter, which included repeated claims that the UFC "fixed fights" and that I could "prove it." I hereby retract any such statements in their entirety as I failed to understand that the term "fight-fixing" specifically refers to the illegal action or practice of dishonestly determining the outcome of a contest before it occurs. I understand the UFC's reputation would be harmed if my fans and others actually believed the UFC engaged in fight fixing, and I have no evidence to support such a claim. I apologize for any misunderstanding my comments may have caused."

Wanderlei Silva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

martyos121 wrote: »
    And they wouldn't even be MMA presenters. Would laugh if they sent Froch and Nelson over to cover the events.

On the bright side, there'd more than likely be no more Gareth Davies. :)

Gary Lineker will be rolled out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Matt Mitrione turned up to a press event with Air Jordan's on.

The UFC made him take them off and do the presser in his bare feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's just getting sillier by the day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow...just f*cking wow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Matt Mitrione turned up to a press event with Air Jordan's on.

The UFC made him take them off and do the presser in his bare feet.

Draconian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I wonder what'd happen if a fighter got a huge NIKE tattoo on his back

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I wonder what'd happen if a fighter got a huge NIKE tattoo on his back

They would wake up every day feeling regret? :D

Didn't someone, maybe pre reebok, shave a disallowed sponsor into his chest hair or something?I think UFC came out and forbid it and I'm sure have wrote it into fighter contracts since

Brian Ebersole shaved tapout into his chest hair but thats not what I was thinking of
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/brian-ebersole-uses-shaves-sponsor-name-into-chest-at-ufc-140?urn=mma,wp10610

Sam ALvy is the 1 I had in my head, a spray tan sponsor on his chest LOL
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/sam-alvey-violated-ufc-policy-with-spray-tan-body-logo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

CM Punk has a Pepsi tattoo that won't be in the UFC game.

I wonder if you got your sponsors tattooed on yourself in henna but said it was a real tattoo would they let you fight with it or would they try and cover it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

CM Punk has a Pepsi tattoo that won't be in the UFC game.

I wonder if you got your sponsors tattooed on yourself in henna but said it was a real tattoo would they let you fight with it or would they try and cover it up.
    Yeah I wonder will they make punk fight with a plaster on his shoulder? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I can imagine the UFC is going to have to have a dress code for interviews from now on

giphy.gif

I can imagine the UFC is going to have to have a dress code for interviews from now on

giphy.gif

That reebok top is 20 years old and looks better than the shjte they produce today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I can imagine the UFC is going to have to have a dress code for interviews from now on[/IMG]

Incredible. That made my day. You just won the internets.

I wonder does Dana realise that he's reeboks bitch?

It is hilarious thinking back to pre reebok and fighters used to freak out if they didn't have their t-shirt and cap on for their sponsors, kept Rogan waiting for the interview. Now when they're cornerman goes up with a t-shirt they're like "Get that the f*** away from me!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Devastator wrote: »
    It is hilarious thinking back to pre reebok and fighters used to freak out if they didn't have their t-shirt and cap on for their sponsors, kept Rogan waiting for the interview. Now when they're cornerman goes up with a t-shirt they're like "Get that the f*** away from me!" :D

They should all start throwing the reebok t-shirts into the crowd. They can always just say their trying to make a fans night. One thing i don't miss about the previous arrangement is fighters trying to shoehorn energy drinks and headphones along with the hats and shirts at the post fight interviews, it looked ridiculous. If that continued it would have got gradually worse, probably would have seen fighters bring in branded dumbbells and tvs or some sh1t.

And no i don't agree with the Reebok deal whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Diego Brandao tested positive for weed at 195 during competition (12 hours before the fight). What was he thinking??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Diego Brandao tested positive for weed at 195 during competition (12 hours before the fight). What was he thinking??

i need a good nights sleep maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I heard it was his post fight test. He could have smoked it weeks before. And if his pre fight test was under the limit then it points to the same massive flaw that Diaz suffered.

UFC statement
    The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) informed Diego Brandao of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation involving Carboxy-Tetrahydrocannabinol (“Carboxy-THC”) which is a metabolite of marijuana and/or hashish, above the decision limit of 180 ng/mL, stemming from an in-competition sample collected following his fight on January 2, 2016 in Las Vegas.

USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case involving Brandao, as it relates to the UFC Anti-Doping Policy and future UFC participation. Because the Nevada State Athletic Commission was the regulatory body overseeing the fight in Las Vegas and has state licensing and jurisdiction over Brandao, USADA will work to ensure that the Commission has the necessary information to determine its proper judgment of Brandao’s potential anti-doping violation. Additional information will be provided at the appropriate time as the process moves forward.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Tom Egan cornering Mehdi Baghdad in Boston apparently, pretty cool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Bisping expecting title shot with win against Silva...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

dave1982 wrote: »

Rockhold took him apart when they fought,I think he just wants to end his career knowing he fought for a title,silva is going to starch him anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

dave1982 wrote: »

I don't think it's outrageous.

If he beats Silva he'd be on a 3 fight win streak which includes 2 wins against opponents in the top 10 (I know Silva isn't ranked due to being popped, but I don't think anyone would argue with calling him a top 10 fighter in that division) and have won 4 of his last 5 with the 1 defeat coming to Rockhold.

There's no real buzz for a Weidman rematch (and rightly so), Romero has just been popped, Jacare has just lost to Romero, Machida could do with taking a lot of time off, Kennedy is inactive, then it's Bisping.

I think Belfort gets the next shot due to Rockhold really wanting to avenge that loss, but a Bisping win over Silva should definitely have him in contention with the way that division is at the moment.

Colby Covington missed his first usada test for being unavailable at 6am apparently, hopefully he misses another two and gets banned.

TUF Finale announced for July 8, Team JJ vs. Team Gadelha, they'll fight for the title that night also, the day before UFC 200. I reckon we could see 4 title fights that weekend.

TUF Finale announced for July 8, Team JJ vs. Team Gadelha, they'll fight for the title that night also, the day before UFC 200. I reckon we could see 4 title fights that weekend.

Faber v winner of this,Conor Frankie,Joanna Champion and mighty mouse is my guess.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Faber v winner of this,Conor Frankie,Joanna Champion and mighty mouse is my guess.

First two look like good shouts and the third is confirmed, but Mighty Mouse will get lost in the shuffle that weekend. I'd be looking at either Lawler vs. Condit rematch or Rockhold vs. Belfort. The strawweight title fight isn't a huge deal to the casual viewer so they will want the other title fights to be a good draw.

We'll probably just end up with 3 though and it will probably be the first 3.

• Advertisement

*cough* Jon Jones *cough*

Mellor wrote: »

Isnt he in for april 23rd?

Just don't see it myself. If he fights in New York in April, that's a fairly quick turnaround for a title fight, and Jones will take at least a bit of damage against DC, who in my opinion has gone up half a level since they fought last. They'd of course love to get him on their biggest ever card but it relies a lot on luck whether they can put it together or not.

Also if Bader beats Rumble and becomes the number one contender, that's not a fight anyone wants to see. Wrestling is an effective tool in MMA and Bader and Jones are excellent at it, but it also happens to be boring as hell over 5 rounds and that's how the fight will play out IMO.

So I reckon to get Jones at 200, he'll have to hope Rumble wins and he'll have to beat DC and take little damage. The first is pretty safe but the second is highly doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Also if Bader beats Rumble and becomes the number one contender, that's not a fight anyone wants to see. Wrestling is an effective tool in MMA and Bader and Jones are excellent at it, but it also happens to be boring as hell over 5 rounds and that's how the fight will play out IMO.

Thats a fight we've seen before it didn't play out the way ya think ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

https://www.twitch.tv/mightymouseufc125

Mighty Mouse giving his opinion on the Dillashaw Cruz fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Is Jones v DC locked in for April? With Ronda abandoning plans to fight at UFC 200 I think the Jones/DC should get co-main behind McGregor. Thats a huuuuuge fight and deserves that spotlight in July.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Isnt he in for april 23rd?
    Nothing has been confirmed yet.
    No PPVs have been confirmed past McGregor v RDA
    Just don't see it myself. If he fights in New York in April...

Would be the large question mark I'm refering to New York. If it falls through, they could easily push it back 10 weeks.

Also, did anybody hear about Jones' brother last week...uhh ohh
    http://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/16/10779716/chandler-jones-patriots-synthetic-weed-race-police

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Nothing has been confirmed yet.
    No PPVs have been confirmed past McGregor v RDA

Would be the large question mark I'm refering to New York. If it falls through, they could easily push it back 10 weeks.

Also, did anybody hear about Jones' brother last week...uhh ohh
    http://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/16/10779716/chandler-jones-patriots-synthetic-weed-race-police

Have UFC events happened out of numerical order before?

eg. did it ever go 180, 182, 183, 181* due to a cancellation or something?

BOHtox wrote: »
    Have UFC events happened out of numerical order before?

eg. did it ever go 180, 182, 183, 181* due to a cancellation or something?

Not that I'm aware of. They have skipped numbers though. Both 151 and 176 were cancelled, and no event with those numbers ever took place.

Buy pushing it back 10 weeks, I was referring to moving it to UFC 200.
    If NYC goes ahead, it'll be in the Garden, UFC 198, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Kirby wrote: »
    https://www.twitch.tv/mightymouseufc125

Mighty Mouse giving his opinion on the Dillashaw Cruz fight.

MM vs Cruz could be interesting - He's come on a lot since they fought in 2011. I don't have much interest in Cruz fighting Faber or Assuncao.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Paully D wrote: »
    I don't think it's outrageous.

If he beats Silva he'd be on a 3 fight win streak which includes 2 wins against opponents in the top 10 (I know Silva isn't ranked due to being popped, but I don't think anyone would argue with calling him a top 10 fighter in that division) and have won 4 of his last 5 with the 1 defeat coming to Rockhold.

There's no real buzz for a Weidman rematch (and rightly so), Romero has just been popped, Jacare has just lost to Romero, Machida could do with taking a lot of time off, Kennedy is inactive, then it's Bisping.

I think Belfort gets the next shot due to Rockhold really wanting to avenge that loss, but a Bisping win over Silva should definitely have him in contention with the way that division is at the moment.

I'd like a Weidman rematch! Thought it was a great fight and very back and forth up until that stupid Weidman kick. I'd like Jacare to get the next shot - his Romero fight should be changed to an NC and he didn't lose that fight anyway imo. No interest in seeing Bisping or Vitor fight for the title, they're in the 5-10 bracket and don't last 2 rounds imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement