Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No water protesters

• 01-02-2015 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I will be putting my house up for rent in the next few months. I would like to think that I can find a tenant who will pay all the utility bills and not leave me stuck with them if they move out or don't pay them. I consider the water charges to be just the same as any other utility and should be paid as such. Just wondering if it's ok to ask a prospective tenant what they're position on water charges is before they move in. I know some people are really struggling and the water charges are just another expense for people but the way I see it is if they can't afford to pay €100 a year for their water then I don't really want them as a tenant to be honest as it may limit their ability to pay the rent too.
    (I obviously disagree with the water protests and think that if people don't pay the charges then the government will just take it from somewhere else and make other cuts or increase taxes to pay for it but that's a matter for a different thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Would you take them at their word though.. "Will you keep all the bills paid?"

"'Course we will"

"Here's the keys"

If I was worried I'd just ask for a larger deposit. If you're in an anyway good location, you'll get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

aido79 wrote: »
    I will be putting my house up for rent in the next few months. I would like to think that I can find a tenant who will pay all the utility bills and not leave me stuck with them if they move out or don't pay them. I consider the water charges to be just the same as any other utility and should be paid as such. Just wondering if it's ok to ask a prospective tenant what they're position on water charges is before they move in. I know some people are really struggling and the water charges are just another expense for people but the way I see it is if they can't afford to pay €100 a year for their water then I don't really want them as a tenant to be honest as it may limit their ability to pay the rent too.
    (I obviously disagree with the water protests and think that if people don't pay the charges then the government will just take it from somewhere else and make other cuts or increase taxes to pay for it but that's a matter for a different thread)

Surely this will be the same as other utilities; ie the tenant is responsible and maybe simply include a non highlighted clause in the lease?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Would you take them at their word though.. "Will you keep all the bills paid?"

"'Course we will"

"Here's the keys"

If I was worried I'd just ask for a larger deposit. If you're in an anyway good location, you'll get it.

Thats true. Just wondered by asking them through general conversation what their stance on the issue was might help.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Surely this will be the same as other utilities; ie the tenant is responsible and maybe simply include a non highlighted clause in the lease?

Yes but a lot of water protesters see it as a tax and not a utility. It would be a good idea to put it in the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

It's stated in my leases that tenants are liable for all utilities, including water.

OP, you could also send IW the tenants name and they can send a. Registration pack to them.

• Advertisement

garhjw wrote: »
    It's stated in my leases that tenants are liable for all utilities, including water.

OP, you could also send IW the tenants name and they can send a. Registration pack to them.

Good ideas. I'll do that. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It really makes no difference to you as to whether they pay their utilities or not. The contract is between them and the utility company and does not transfer to the landlord if the tenant does not pay. All you need to do to cover yourself completely is to submit meter readings on the day the tenant moves out.
    Now in the event of a default the utility company will often chance their arm and say it is your liability but this is a bluff and has no legal basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Who would cover the cost of a tenant removing the water meter? I would be inclined to ask for a larger deposit to cover the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Goodne wrote: »
    Who would cover the cost of a tenant removing the water meter? I would be inclined to ask for a larger deposit to cover the costs.

Would that not actually be a criminal offence ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id be inclined to add in a line about agreeing to pay the water charges, not obstruct any sierra / IW staff and not tamper woth the meter, any of the people on their moral high ground would kick up a fuss about signing that anyway and youd tell pretty quick who will and wont cause trouble.

To any landlords renting out RA properties , I would collect a seperate water charges deposit to the full ampunt ex conservation grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

To any landlords renting out RA properties , I would collect a seperate water charges deposit to the full ampunt ex conservation grant

A second deposit because there on rent supplement ,
    Might be counted as discrimination .

You do realise people on rent supplement can get all the bills paid through the local cwo from gas and electricity and now likely water ,
    They will probably in a better position to pay than most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Gatling wrote: »

You do realise people on rent supplement can get all the bills paid through the local cwo from gas and electricity and now likely water ,

Since when?

January wrote: »
    Since when?

Since forever ,
    CWO 's pay thousands of utility bills every month ,
    If I remember correctly Joan Burton said on a programme they dept of social protection pays 300,000 bills in full every month,
    It's covered under discretionary payments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It really makes no difference to you as to whether they pay their utilities or not. The contract is between them and the utility company and does not transfer to the landlord if the tenant does not pay.

But that is if they register as customers with Irish Water right?

If they don't send their application pack, there will be no contract between them and Irish Water. And I think if no one is registered, the landlord is legally liable?

Maybe rather that asking them to pay, the best thing to do is to ensure they do indeed register as customers? Then whether they are paying or not is not the landlord's problem anymore, but rather Irish Water's problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

I wouldn't recommend sending any sort of personal information to another party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Would that not actually be a criminal offence ?
    I don't know if it is or not but how would you prove it was the tenant? The meter is on a public footpath after all. But you can be sure the landlord would have to pay to have it reinstall if it was removed.

circadian wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend sending any sort of personal information to another party.

I confirmed with the ODPC that it is permissible to pass on a tenants name and address to IW.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bob24 wrote: »
    If they don't send their application pack, there will be no contract between them and Irish Water. And I think if no one is registered, the landlord is legally liable?
    Nope. IW tried to claim that was the case but it just isn't. In fact a Landlord cannot even check to see if his tenants have registered if he rings Irish Water. The usual utility contract rules apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Nope. IW tried to claim that was the case but it just isn't. In fact a Landlord cannot even check to see if his tenants have registered if he rings Irish Water. The usual utility contract rules apply.

Things don't work like with your "usual" utility though. If neither a tenant not a landlord registers as a customer, IW doesn't have a contract with anyone and is still providing the service for free (whereas Electric Ireland or Eircom would disconnect the premises which would quickly prompt for someone to register as a customer).

It seems like it would be a bit too easy to get free service and not registering would become endemic with tenants. Surely there must be something planned to prevent this from happening?

Things don't work like with your "usual" utility though. If neither a tenant not a landlord registers as a customer, IW doesn't have a contract with anyone and is still providing the service for free (whereas Electric Ireland or Eircom would disconnect the premises which would quickly prompt for someone to register as a customer).

It seems like it would be a bit too easy to get free service and not registering would become endemic with tenants. Surely there must be something planned to prevent this from happening?

What can they legally do ,im registered without even contacting iw ,
    For instance unmetered apartment complexes don't pay cant cut you off or reduce your flow,
    I've heard some management companies have suggest they get the deposits so they can pay if tenants don't cant see how that's remotely legal ,
    Other management companies threatened evictions if tenants didn't register only to face backlashes from owners ,tenants and legal professionals

• Advertisement

They haven't really thought it through very well which is one of the reasons we are seeing problems now. The info they have released has been chaotic and contradictory and in many cases incorrect. The tenant will be ultimately liable but it is not yet clear how the enforcement will work.
    If the Landlord would be chargeable then this benefit would (in some cases) exceed allowable rent thresholds (for SW tenants) thereby breaching the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, yes, of course you can put "Water charges protesters need not apply" when you advertise: you may discriminate on any grounds you like apart from the Big Nine (age, sex, ethnicity, disability ... etc), and this includes environment consciousness.

And I would just put something in into the lease saying that the tenant needs to supply you with a copy of the documents they complete to register with IW. If someone asks you to remove this bit - they're not the tenant for you. Simples.

well then do it to everybody to avoid discrimination. The biggest difference is, if you bring somebody working to small claims youll likely get your money back in full, or in 2-3 installments, if you bring somebody on welfare to small claims youll get 5 euro a week if even.

well then do it to everybody to avoid discrimination. The biggest difference is, if you bring somebody working to small claims youll likely get your money back in full, or in 2-3 installments, if you bring somebody on welfare to small claims youll get 5 euro a week if even.

But people on sw are more likely be able to pay compared to say somebody or a family renting on middle type income that have 1000-1500pm on top of child care ,car costs ,prsi and usc ,
    And as i said earlier people on sw have full access to cwo's and other Assistance ,

People on rent supplement aren't necessarily the first people not to pay there utilities

But people on sw are more likely be able to pay compared to say somebody or a family renting on middle type income that have 1000-1500pm on top of child care ,car costs ,prsi and usc ,
    And as i said earlier people on sw have full access to cwo's and other Assistance ,

People on rent supplement aren't necessarily the first people not to pay there utilities

most of the court cases brought every month by the esb have an 'im unemployed' defense on it. Also look at the water protests, the more people on welfare in an area the bigger they are. There are employed people who protest water charges, but the loudest voices in the room are the unemployed, its why there are loads of those protests on week days during office hours, people arent taking a day off work to moan about it. its a massive risk to any landlord and greater than other utilities. If the esb doesnt get paid, it gets disconnected and the landlord can set up a new account and its all sorted. IW have made it clear that unpaid water bills will fall back on the landlord.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Make the new tenant aware that they will be asked to complete the application pack for IW at the signing of the lease

IW have made it clear that unpaid water bills will fall back on the landlord.
    IW have rowed back on that statement admitting that they have no right whatsoever to do so. This was a couple of months ago now.

Graham wrote: »
    Make the new tenant aware that they will be asked to complete the application pack for IW at the signing of the lease

I think this is what I will do just so that everything is clear from the start. The house is brand new(plastering finished last week) and won't be ready for a couple of months but I have already had people interested in renting it such is the demand for rental properties in the area so I shouldn't have a problem finding a tenant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It really makes no difference to you as to whether they pay their utilities or not. The contract is between them and the utility company and does not transfer to the landlord if the tenant does not pay. All you need to do to cover yourself completely is to submit meter readings on the day the tenant moves out.
    Now in the event of a default the utility company will often chance their arm and say it is your liability but this is a bluff and has no legal basis.

They did this with my current ll and he fell for it. He knows better now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

I confirmed with the ODPC that it is permissible to pass on a tenants name and address to IW.

My concern would be with how the tenant reacts. I'd make it very clear in the lease that names will be forwarded to IW if requested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd also include a clause in any lease that the tenant acquiesces to the landlord passing on their details to IW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I hope more landlord do this because when challenged you will find yourself in court. There is nothing in the Water Services Act to cover you and plenty in the Data Protections act of 2008 to find against you.

You cannot just hand over Tenants information to a Private Utility it is illegal. regardless of your feeling pro or against this charge.

Please inform yourself better before giving out advice such as this. There have been recent fines of 10,000 to 30,000 per incident handed down as little as 6 months ago for agencies giving our receiving private information illegally.

Good luck.

When did you do this? and praytell can you detail the correspondence in full and also state where this information is available freely to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

And I would just put something in into the lease saying that the tenant needs to supply you with a copy of the documents they complete to register with IW. If someone asks you to remove this bit - they're not the tenant for you. Simples.

In theory this should work but with Irish Water's incompetence it probably would cause a lot of people trouble. For example, I'm a tenant who has no issue with paying for water. I have spent since September trying to register. Never received a pack (because if I had I could've signed up online and taken a screenshot) so tried to register over the phone. System apparently failed the three times I signed up over the phone and I was told to try again. I emailed/ sent in a paper form etc and although over the phone last week they claim I'm on the system since Nov 24th - I have yet to receive any proof of registration (or the form for my bfs medical needs).

It's beyond frustrating but at least my landlady trusts me enough to know I've signed up- if this was in our lease I'd be scuppered and it would be the fault of Irish Water.

listermint wrote: »
    There have been recent fines of 10,000 to 30,000 per incident handed down as little as 6 months ago for agencies giving our receiving private information illegally.

Any source for the agencies being fined such amounts? I'm struggling to find them.

• Advertisement

Any source for the agencies being fined such amounts? I'm struggling to find them.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/credit-union-private-detectives-fined-10500-over-data-breach-30642829.html

That's private detectives using subterfuge to illegally obtain information, not quite the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks, I've just deleted a number of posts - can you please stay on topic.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tinz18 wrote: »
    In theory this should work but with Irish Water's incompetence it probably would cause a lot of people trouble. For example, I'm a tenant who has no issue with paying for water. I have spent since September trying to register. Never received a pack (because if I had I could've signed up online and taken a screenshot) so tried to register over the phone. System apparently failed the three times I signed up over the phone and I was told to try again. I emailed/ sent in a paper form etc and although over the phone last week they claim I'm on the system since Nov 24th - I have yet to receive any proof of registration (or the form for my bfs medical needs).

It's beyond frustrating but at least my landlady trusts me enough to know I've signed up- if this was in our lease I'd be scuppered and it would be the fault of Irish Water.

Ahh, but the potential LL doesn't even need to actually see the paperwork. They just need tenants to believe it's a condition of the lease.

Just having the clause in the lease would be enough to scare off any people who are not going to pay their water charges. And that's all a LL really needs to do.

I hope more landlord do this because when challenged you will find yourself in court. There is nothing in the Water Services Act to cover you and plenty in the Data Protections act of 2008 to find against you.

You cannot just hand over Tenants information to a Private Utility it is illegal. regardless of your feeling pro or against this charge.

Please inform yourself better before giving out advice such as this. There have been recent fines of 10,000 to 30,000 per incident handed down as little as 6 months ago for agencies giving our receiving private information illegally.

Good luck.

Maybe get your facts straight before you go running your mouth. I contacted the ODPC by email asking if it s permissible to provide IW with tenants details. I received the following response.

Where are you getting your information from? Either you are a liar or you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I think it is likely both in your case.

I'm right and you are wrong. Ha ha ha

Date: 20 October 2014 17:05:48 IST
    To: xxxxxxxxx
    Subject: ODPC response - 20/10/14

Dear xxxxxx

I refer to your recent email to this Office.

If a pack has not been returned from a particular property then
    Irish Water can write to the owners of the property who have NOT replied,
    seeking information as to whether the property is occupied / unoccupied and
    if occupied then who is the tenant. This Office has advised Irish Water
    that NAME ONLY of the tenant should be provided.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Yours Sincerely

Xxxxxxx
    Information Officer
    Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
    Canal House
    Station Road
    Portarlington
    Co. Laois

Ph: 057 868 4800
    E: info@dataprotection.ie
    www.dataprotection.ie

• Advertisement

That's private detectives using subterfuge to illegally obtain information, not quite the same.

Not quite the same for sure, but illegally obtaining information none the less. Unless the tenant gives permission to hand it over or the tenant hands it over themselves both IW and the landlord would be held accountable.

Not quite the same for sure, but illegally obtaining information none the less. Unless the tenant gives permission to hand it over or the tenant hands it over themselves both IW and the landlord would be held accountable.

Did you read my response? Your wrong AGAIN.

Maybe get your facts straight before you go running your mouth. I contacted the ODPC by email asking if it s permissible to provide IW with tenants details. I received the following response.

Where are you getting your information from? Either you are a liar or you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I think it is likely both in your case.

I'm right and you are wrong. Ha ha ha

Date: 20 October 2014 17:05:48 IST
    To: xxxxxxxxx
    Subject: ODPC response - 20/10/14

Dear xxxxxx

I refer to your recent email to this Office.

If a pack has not been returned from a particular property then
    Irish Water can write to the owners of the property who have NOT replied,
    seeking information as to whether the property is occupied / unoccupied and
    if occupied then who is the tenant. This Office has advised Irish Water
    that NAME ONLY of the tenant should be provided.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Yours Sincerely

Xxxxxxx
    Information Officer
    Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
    Canal House
    Station Road
    Portarlington
    Co. Laois

Ph: 057 868 4800
    E: info@dataprotection.ie
    www.dataprotection.ie

Oh right your information was given to you by some unamed information officer around the same time IW was giving out false information.

Your posts are very aggressive. 'running my mouth'

'ha ha ha'

Are you 12 ?

Oh right your information was given to you by some unamed information officer around the same time IW was giving out false information.

Your posts are very aggressive. 'running my mouth'

'ha ha ha'

Are you 12 ?

So your saying I made it up? I'm not going to give out the name of the person in the ODPC.

I'm laughing at you because you are a liar and don't have a clue what you are talking about. You just go on your loonie left rants with no facts to back it up.

Why not contact the ODPC yourself if you don't believe me. However, I suspect you think the government have them under control too. Perhaps they work for Dennis obrien.

No go back to your commie mates, good girl

So your saying I made it up? I'm not going to give out the name of the person in the ODPC.

I'm laughing at you because you are a liar and don't have a clue what you are talking about. You just go on your loonie left rants with no facts to back it up.

Why not contact the ODPC yourself if you don't believe me. However, I suspect you think the government have them under control too. Perhaps they work for Dennis obrien.

No go back to your commie mates, good girl

You have a ridiculously aggressive post style and i have reported you.

You also need to brush up on your facts, in order to give any information to IW you would have to put this in your lease agreement and make sure tenant has signed it. What you are proposing is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Listermint, Gar behave yourselves. Both of you could do with watching the tone and interactions you use in this thread.

You also need to brush up on your facts, in order to give any information to IW you would have to put this in your lease agreement and make sure tenant has signed it. What you are proposing is illegal.

I will refer you to the email I received from the ODPC which contradicts what you are saying. I will take their advice as they know what they are talking about.

The email from the ODPC appears to be corroborated by todays Irish Times:

337431.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/when-is-a-deadline-not-a-deadline-and-other-irish-water-questions-answered-1.2088182

I think the relavent word is 'wants'. Is there an onus on the LL to respond?

None of this corroborated with current data protection legislation and its amendments since 2008.

And its not like IW to get it all completely wrong exactly the misinformation they were giving out last year.

Id love someone to explain to me how handing over personal information that is not yours to a private utility without that persons explicit consent be it by lease or contract mirrors what is contained in legislation. Unless of course it has been modified recently? Was there some late night Dail sessions I missed honestly looks like they are hanging landlords out to dry.

Id be very careful about this. IW don't care an ounce.

Just to give some clarification on this I have read the 1998 -2003 act and its amendments through and unless i am missing a section there isnt anything there to allow a private individual to hand over another private individuals Name and Address to another private entity, IW are not covered under the legislation under entities payable to the state equally as the ESB would not be.

Even their topical questions section and i can imagine this has been a very topical question over the last year doesnt have an ounce to say on the matter

right here for anyone who wishes to view

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=&fn=/documents/FAQ2012/Topical_Data_Proctection_Issues.htm

It just looks as if everyone is hoping it wont pop up or no one challenges it in court, sure they can say they gave no explicit direction on it either way.

You would have to cover it explicitly in your lease and thats the be all and end all of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement