Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Part of the problem with the HD remake is that with the addition of higher fidelity, more cut-scenes and a fully voiced cast, is that you lose almost all the nuance and ambiguity that was inherent in a more stripped down, silent narrative that played out on the PS1. Everything was implied, or hinted through the characters' broad gestures, or the char limits of those text boxes; on the other hand, I get the feeling the remake will consist of people standing around shouting what they're feeling.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Midgar :Dfecking autocorrect.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Is it early in the game of is it in the Nibelheim scene from MUCH later on?

Oh I agree the reveal will be early maybe at the Shinra building before the bike chase

Oh I agree the reveal will be early maybe at the Shinra building before the bike chase

But it looks like the haunted mansion in Nibelheim, during clouds remembering of the burning no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

what should happen in this one is Tifa gets killed by Sephiroth rather than Aeris...

Wouldnt work, Jenova kills Aeris because of the threat she posses.. Tifa is waaaay down on the list :)

Also subverting expectations, it hasnt worked much lately in other pop culture outings :)

And they may still go down that line for a bit I hope but the problem is we all know who he is and if they went down that route people be come on show the reveal

He wouldnt be revealed until after midgar though as he only becomes a thing when you get to the top of Shinra HQ and you dont actually see him until Kalm. So including him prior is just fan service instead of whats best for the story telling.

A lot of people that will play this will not have played the original, sure they may have heard the name or know what happens to Aeris, but they wont know the story or the characters.

I'm not sure changing the stories events will work out for the better :(

Aerith is killed because she can use the Holy materia, Tifa is not a threat to Meteor coming. No reason whatsoever to kill her

But it looks like the haunted mansion in Nibelheim, during clouds remembering of the burning no?

Are we talking about Sephiroth in the trailer? Its in an alleyway surround in fire, as they have only done midgar i assumed its a scene after one of the bombs goes off and Cloud loses his **** when hes escaping the vicinity..

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Aerith is killed because she can use the Holy materia, Tifa is not a threat to Meteor coming. No reason whatsoever to kill her

Yeah, also she posthumously pushes the planet along to use the lifestream against Meteor.

I have no regrets about killing her either, I'm looking well in the new trailer.

:pac::pac:

So maybe you shouldn't have killed her at all, ****ed your own plan up you did.

Also it's not Jenova who kills her, except if you look at it a certain way I suppose. Jenova's body is like the host for Sephiroth while zombie Sephiroth chills out in an egg thing, calling all the other body parts up north hoping one of them brings him black materia.

(Sorry to be a pedant about that but it comes up a lot on message boards :pac: )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,870 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think it is a bit fan servicy to show sephiroth early. You never see sephiroth until you leave midgar but he is always a presence and is constantly bigged up during that event. You don't then see him until the flashback in Kalm.

Kind of ruins the build up but then the fanboys will be crying he doesn't show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We need to stop all this crazy talk about Tifa dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They would have to alter the original storyline if Aeris lived and another character died in her stead, which admittedly might be too big a move away from the original source material. If her death is to happen in the remake I hope they do it in a different manner and bring a fresh take on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Think it is a bit fan servicy to show sephiroth early. You never see sephiroth until you leave midgar but he is always a presence and is constantly bigged up during that event. You don't then see him until the flashback in Kalm.

Kind of ruins the build up but then the fanboys will be crying he doesn't show up.

I've mixed feelings on it tbh. On one hand the original story is relatively tight (ignoring some bonkers sidequests) but we all know it, so a few alterations might be no harm.

On the other hand it's supposed to be a remake so... :/

I'm actually more interested in how the Wall Market stuff is going to be portrayed in this PC age. Will they keep Corneo as a lecherous bigamist who marries the prettiest girl every night or alter him in some way :D

You see Corneo in a much gentler way than I ever did...

You see Corneo in a much gentler way than I ever did...

:pac: My innocent 12 year old mind actually believed he was marrying these women:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I remember playing the original for the first time and getting stuck at some point early enough, then thinking this is **** and turned it off.
    Went back to it many years later, when PS had it for free I think, and after much FF games (still have a soft spot for FFX). I had much more fun, even if the graphics were, not there.

Looking forward to this now, another time sink of a game. Think between FFX and it's remaster I clocked over 400 hours. I imagine similar times for this.

I loved FFX apart from that sudden and abrupt difficulty ramp just over halfway through.

FFIX is my personal fave if I'm honest, I liked the return to cartoonish graphics after the darkness of VIII

Never really had issues until the endgame type stuff.
    Oh, now everything can OHK my entire team, wonderful.
    That and the Dark Aeon fights, some of those were tricky enough.

Which Final Fantasy has the mechanic where you had to draw out the magic. Looked great loved the story of the mercenary school but just could not get into it because of that mechanic.

Which Final Fantasy has the mechanic where you had to draw out the magic. Looked great loved the story of the mercenary school but just could not get into it because of that mechanic.

8 was gr8

• Advertisement

That was VIII.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,870 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Never really had issues until the endgame type stuff.
    Oh, now everything can OHK my entire team, wonderful.
    That and the Dark Aeon fights, some of those were tricky enough.

FFX gets very difficult if you don't keep up with side quests. My first playthrough was very challenging but when I played it again I had no issues. The Dark aeon fights were crap though. No strategy other than grinding the arena to level up enough to beat them. They also made backtracking a disaster for end game content.

FFX in retrospect was not a great FF.
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    8 was gr8

8... has issues. Garbage story and was so slow to get going. If you didn't understand the systems then you just spent the whole game summoning until you got stuck on the boss fight in space.

However if you understand how the game works it was great fun breaking the game systems wide open.

FFX gets very difficult if you don't keep up with side quests. My first playthrough was very challenging but when I played it again I had no issues. The Dark aeon fights were crap though. No strategy other than grinding the arena to level up enough to beat them. They also made backtracking a disaster for end game content.

8... has issues. Garbage story and was so slow to get going. If you didn't understand the systems then you just spent the whole game summoning until you got stuck on the boss fight in space.

However if you understand how the game works it was great fun breaking the game systems wide open.

Yes I knew someone who kept everyone not levelled up to a particular point. I forgot the reason but I think it made bosses easier and stronger

My main issue with 8 was the area level up. You fight in an area at level 5 and struggle, come back for something at level 60 and these useless little enemies are levelled right up wit you

I loved FF9 with Vivi and Steiner the way you could combine to make magic swords. Monkey man (he had a tail) was limited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

@Retro - Each to their own. I thought the story was excellent.

I always bypassed the drawing magic part by just refining cards. Helps that I loved Triple Triad.

• Advertisement

In relation to FF7 I hope there is not much of a wait between the first and the second part and maybe that's why it took 5 years my hope anyway

I loved FF9 with Vivi and Steiner the way you could combine to make magic swords. Monkey man (he had a tail) was limited

Zidane?

8 had the greatest limit break of all. I only saw it twice I think (certainly once). Selphie had it and it was called "The End"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In relation to FF7 I hope there is not much of a wait between the first and the second part and maybe that's why it took 5 years my hope anyway

Everything they’ve said doesn’t fill me with confidence they’ll be releasing the episodes in quick succession. Quite the opposite if anything...

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-feels-great-to-play-but-the-p-1835426634
    “Before we actually started working on this, we knew it was going to be a large amount of content,” Kitase told a group of press. “When we started out planning the plot for the first game, it hit us again... at that point we decided we were going to focus first game on Midgar and what happens in Midgar. Unfortunately we can’t say anything more about the future games, because we don’t know ourselves.

Kitase added that the development team is simultaneously finishing Final Fantasy VII Remake’s first game, which is out in March 2020, while planning game number two.

Some of the design work will be done, of course, for episode two... but there’ll still be a lot of game to design.

Everything they’ve said doesn’t fill me with confidence they’ll be releasing the episodes in quick succession. Quite the opposite if anything...

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-feels-great-to-play-but-the-p-1835426634

Some of the design work will be done, of course, for episode two... but there’ll still be a lot of game to design.

The need a slap of a proper Analyst and Project Manager.
    15 was a fecking disaster too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This is my strongest memory of FFX, I was so hyped for this having absolutely loved VI through IX

I probably kept up with the side quests as I went.
    Dark Yojimbo and the three sisters were absolute nightmares, the rest, I just paid Yojimbo to take care of :)

It wasn't that bad a game, although the dodging 200 lightning bolts thing was fairly frustrating. I did like XIII as well mind..
    X-2 on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

I unironically like X-2. The story is not great but the Dressphere class/battle system is really fun.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My main issue with 8 was the area level up. You fight in an area at level 5 and struggle, come back for something at level 60 and these useless little enemies are levelled right up wit you

I think you could get through 8 without being particularly strong, or upgrading etc, which was good, but it made the end impossibly hard. I never did finish it. I'd definitely give the remastered one a shot. tis 20 years old this year!!

FFX-2 really annoyed me but it was more to do with how glitchy it was and the awful requirements to get 100% in the game. When I found out I had screwed myself out of 100% I gave up on it.

Going back to FFX-2 if you ignore the crazy requirements for 100% and just enjoy the game it's actually really good. The story is dirt but the battle system and general silliness is great, even if Brother being a borderline rapist hasn't aged as well.

FFX going back to it suffers from a lot of what made FF13 so bad as the story isn't as good as I remember it. I think a lot was forgiven at the time as it was he first good RPG on the PS2 and looked gorgeous. It's very obviously rushed with a severe lack of end game content in the JP and US release and the Dark Aeons added in the European/International version being not fun at all and designed to stretch out the end game with nothing but grinding.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I think you could get through 8 without being particularly strong, or upgrading etc, which was good, but it made the end impossibly hard. I never did finish it. I'd definitely give the remastered one a shot. tis 20 years old this year!!

It's actually very easy to do as enemies level up with Squall. If you junction high level magic to your stats you become a beast and it's way more important than levels which kind of become useless.

I probably played Blitzball more than any other game the year FFX released.

It's actually very easy to do as enemies level up with Squall. If you junction high level magic to your stats you become a beast and it's way more important than levels which kind of become useless.
    Combine that with how the limit system works it's not hard to have Squall do five or six 5000+ damage hits every turn before the end of disc one.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I really must play VIII again. I have it on my Vita. Controls are meh though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Have Queazactol learn “Card” and “Card-ref” as early as possible on Disc One of FFVIII and it’s great fun for a run-through.

• Advertisement

Have Queazactol learn “Card” and “Card-ref” as early as possible on Disc One of FFVIII and it’s great fun for a run-through.
    And T-Mag ref to turn all those windmills into Tornado magic.

Evade wrote: »
    Combine that with how the limit system works it's not hard to have Squall do five or six 5000+ damage hits every turn before the end of disc one.

The time I went through it with a faq I had his last weapon and thus limit break before disc 2 I think.

It's fun to break the game but when the game gets so broken the fight command is all you really need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Weepsie wrote: »
    I really must play VIII again. I have it on my Vita. Controls are meh though.

8 is being released for PS4 this year.

8 is being released for PS4 Everything this year.

Fixed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I liked FFX in spite of the flaws. There's a funny critique of it by Spoony on Youtube dissecting it in detail.

I was really hooked by what was promised with VIII. Remember playing the trailer that came with a magazine over and over prior to its release; I thought the game was disappointing though despite initially liking the early part of the story. The opposite happened with IX. I didn't like the presentation of that at all before its release but then when I played the story I liked it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

FFVIII was hilarious when you junctioned certain magic to stuff and just steam rolled bosses, i remember watching a fella do a speedrun of it and his draw/junction layout was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

All this fuss because shes wearing a sports bra? **** sake:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sometimes I forget a large swath of gaming/gamers are stupid f*cking adolescents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Having actually read three out of the four articles listed in that tweet (the Sankuku Complex one didn't seem particularly SFW so I left that one out) none of them are actually guilty of what they're being accused of doing. The most egregious example is actually the VG247's tweet which frames the comments differently to the article to which it links.

As for the translations, the Eurogamer piece gets its translation from one of the Digital Foundry guys, the Polygon piece references the Eurogamer piece and the VG247 piece references a translation by Gematsu which as far as I'm aware, are...generally ok with this stuff?

In any case, **** you for making me read three articles about what amounts to a wardrobe change for a bloody JRPG character...

Advertisement