Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-12-2017, 07:03   #1
dodzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,192
nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

So folks, got the 16GB from Santa. Really enjoying it so far. Superb build quality, both controllers are excellent. Speech function works very well. Downloaded Mame from the play store & Kodi.

Only scratching the surface at this point I’m sure, so what have you done with yours? Any recommendations ?



Mod Edit: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post


This thread is here because so many people have bought the Shield (many are from bargain alerts), and to help posters get the most out of it. But discussion of anything dodgy is not allowed either on thread or by requesting of PM's.

Consider this post as the final warning, automatic ban for anyone not following these rules.

I would ask posters to report any posts and not replying to them please.

Last edited by Davy; 16-01-2019 at 00:26. Reason: Add warning to post #1
dodzy is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-12-2017, 11:32   #2
bloodless_coup
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,467
Haven't tried this yet but looks like nice integration of IPTV directly into the built in "Live Channels" part of android.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/c...der_iptv_into/
bloodless_coup is offline  
Thanks from:
27-12-2017, 11:42   #3
McMurphy
Bannned
 
McMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 10,432
I have RetroX on mine.

Have been playing games from Amiga classics to game cube.

Just this morning I did a few rounds of wipe out from the play station.

I have also introduced my young lad to the Atari classic centipede

Must have app imo.
McMurphy is offline  
Thanks from:
27-12-2017, 21:54   #4
Snake Plisken
Registered User
 
Snake Plisken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,248
One of the downsides of the Android Tv OS is that most of the apps that you might sideload will not show up on the main page you have to dig down through settings apps to launch but there is an app on the Google play store called TV APP Repo that allows you to create shortcuts on the home screen to these unofficial apps. Try it, it works great.
Snake Plisken is offline  
(2) thanks from:
27-12-2017, 23:42   #5
bazzz
Registered User
 
bazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plisken View Post
One of the downsides of the Android Tv OS is that most of the apps that you might sideload will not show up on the main page you have to dig down through settings apps to launch but there is an app on the Google play store called TV APP Repo that allows you to create shortcuts on the home screen to these unofficial apps. Try it, it works great.
And Sideload Launcher too From The PlayStore.
bazzz is online now  
Advertisement
28-12-2017, 09:41   #6
dodzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shaw View Post
I have RetroX on mine.

Have been playing games from Amiga classics to game cube.

Just this morning I did a few rounds of wipe out from the play station.

I have also introduced my young lad to the Atari classic centipede

Must have app imo.
Put mame on mine for 2 of my old favorites, Rygar and Wonderboy. The former is a lot faster than I remember it to be in the arcade, but brilliant nonetheless. Gotta be an age & reflexes thing I guess!
dodzy is offline  
Thanks from:
28-12-2017, 18:06   #7
McMurphy
Bannned
 
McMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 10,432
Mine is giving me warnings about being low on space now, and I'm a bit confused about where I'm supposed to get extra storage space - because I've actually very few apps on mine.

Have plex - kodi - Netflix - and RetroX and a screen saver app (aerial dream)

I'm so low on space that I couldn't download fairy small games from the play store last night.

Anyone know a quick and easy way to free up space?
McMurphy is offline  
28-12-2017, 18:08   #8
dodzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shaw View Post
Mine is giving me warnings about being low on space now, and I'm a bit confused about where I'm supposed to get extra storage space - because I've actually very few apps on mine.

Have plex - kodi - Netflix - and RetroX and a screen saver app (aerial dream)

I'm so low on space that I couldn't download fairy small games from the play store last night.

Anyone know a quick and easy way to free up space?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BGTG3JA
dodzy is offline  
28-12-2017, 18:14   #9
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodzy View Post
May not fix the issue if its Plex using the space
The high horse brigade is offline  
Advertisement
28-12-2017, 19:00   #10
McMurphy
Bannned
 
McMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 10,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The high horse brigade View Post
May not fix the issue if its Plex using the space
I'm a subscriber to plex (if that makes sense) ie I'm availing of an iptv server.

So not sure how that affects space on the shield or not?
McMurphy is offline  
28-12-2017, 19:12   #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shaw View Post
I'm a subscriber to plex (if that makes sense) ie I'm availing of an iptv server.

So not sure how that affects space on the shield or not?
Plex has nothing to do with IPTV. Not sure what you mean
The high horse brigade is offline  
28-12-2017, 19:13   #12
bazzz
Registered User
 
bazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shaw View Post
I'm a subscriber to plex (if that makes sense) ie I'm availing of an iptv server.

So not sure how that affects space on the shield or not?
Check the thumbnail folder in kodi.Not that it always happens,but cached images in the thumbnail folder( in Android>Data>.Kodi>Userdata>Thumbnails ) can grow to huge sizes GB's.
Depending on the content you are using.So if it's large you can delete it and restart Kodi.It'll populate again over time.
Regarding other space usage,you'll have to comb through your setup and see what's eating all the space.....i.e. check retro roms,download folders etc,etc.
bazzz is online now  
Thanks from:
28-12-2017, 19:17   #13
BandMember
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzz View Post
Check the thumbnail folder in kodi.Not that it always happens,but cached images in the thumbnail folder( in Android>Data>.Kodi>Userdata>Thumbnails ) can grow to huge sizes GB's.
Depending on the content you are using.So if it's large you can delete it and restart Kodi.It'll populate again over time.
Regarding other space usage,you'll have to comb through your setup and see what's eating all the space.....i.e. check retro roms,download folders etc,etc.
Should be doing this regularly anyway, along with purging packages, clearing cache etc. Also, some add ons have the facility whereby you can do the same within them so don't forget that.

I don't want to get into specific add ons though as that will probably lead the thread being closed (as per the Android Devices forum).
BandMember is offline  
28-12-2017, 19:20   #14
Rock Paper Scissors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 680
Has anyone figured out how to fast forward a video while using the latest YouTube app?
Rock Paper Scissors is offline  
28-12-2017, 19:31   #15
bazzz
Registered User
 
bazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Paper Scissors View Post
Has anyone figured out how to fast forward a video while using the latest YouTube app?
You just scroll up on to the progress bar and press left(backwards) or right(fastforward).
bazzz is online now  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet