Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

I also had the procedure done in Ireland. Didnt want the hassle of going abroad just to save a few quid.
    I got a taxi from home at 7am and was back home at 4pm eating my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

Hi All,

Have spent the last few days scrolling through the 50 plus pages here, and Dr Nel seems to be the forerunner

I have had an online consultation with the MHR clinic (didn't want to travel) and have one with Ailsbury next week. I think Dr Nel might just be out of my price range, although have emailled them anyway. Just wondering if anyone can advise me on MHR or Ailsbury? MHR are quoting €4500 for 4800 hairs (not grafts)

Thanks in Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

1922 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have spent the last few days scrolling through the 50 plus pages here, and Dr Nel seems to be the forerunner

I have had an online consultation with the MHR clinic (didn't want to travel) and have one with Ailsbury next week. I think Dr Nel might just be out of my price range, although have emailled them anyway. Just wondering if anyone can advise me on MHR or Ailsbury? MHR are quoting €4500 for 4800 hairs (not grafts)

Thanks in Advance

4800 hairs would be roughly 2000 grafts, so thats just over 2 euro per graft which would be cheap for Ireland.

I had mine in Ailesbury. Cant really fault the service I got. I'm almost at the 12 month mark now and hair is thickening every time I look. If i wasnt against the mandatory Fin prescription from Dr. Nel I'd be giving him serious consideration for the next time out, but as it stands, I'm probably going back to Ailesbury to get the rest done in a couple of years time

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

1922 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks in Advance

I had a transplant done in MHR about 3 months ago and tbh I probably wouldn't recommend them. Don't want to say too much yet on a public board until a bit further down the line but I've no problem PM'ing you if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

If you don't want to get too specific I understand but can I ask what the issue was in broader terms? Lack of professionalism in the whole set up? Not happy with final result? People not great to deal with?

• Advertisement

Few things. Very unorganized, poor advice, lack of aftercare.

As it's less than three months after the op there's still time but from talking to others It doesn't look like the final result will be anywhere what I was hoping for.

I was bought in by the cheaper option, especially with it being available at home. However I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that in about 9 months time I'll be looking towards another proceedure somewhere else, costing more time and money.

So sorry to hear that bro. :(

Long way to go yet so maybe it's just taking its time? Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Few things. Very unorganized, poor advice, lack of aftercare.

As it's less than three months after the op there's still time but from talking to others It doesn't look like the final result will be anywhere what I was hoping for.

I was bought in by the cheaper option, especially with it being available at home. However I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that in about 9 months time I'll be looking towards another proceedure somewhere else, costing more time and money.

It looks like MHR are charging about €2 per graft - that's about half the price in the Irish market. I went for a consultation with Dr Nel. He's dead straight and will tell you what he can do for you. It might be best to wait until about 9 months after your transplant with MHR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Why are people against a mandatory fin prescription? You're not forced to take it, and you need to stabilise your hair loss with a transplant, otherwise you'll end up with two hairlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Why are people against a mandatory fin prescription? You're not forced to take it, and you need to stabilise your hair loss with a transplant, otherwise you'll end up with two hairlines.

Read up on the side-effects. Many Doctors (without a vested interest in the hair-restoration industry) will not prescribe it.

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    Read up on the side-effects. Many Doctors (without a vested interest in the hair-restoration industry) will not prescribe it.

I understand the side effects, there's a reason I don't take it. But like I said, you need to stabilise your hair loss or else you will be left with just the transplanted hair.

Also Fin is now generic, there's no real incentive to shill it in the way many American doctors push big pharma products.

It looks like MHR are charging about €2 per graft - that's about half the price in the Irish market. I went for a consultation with Dr Nel. He's dead straight and will tell you what he can do for you. It might be best to wait until about 9 months after your transplant with MHR

Yeah that's the plan, heard nothing but good things about Dr Nel.

I think the issue is 1 or 2 in 100 people get bad side effects and people worry that will be them.

Monokne wrote: »
    I think the issue is 1 or 2 in 100 people get bad side effects and people worry that will be them.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Anecdotal evidence from "Post Finasteride Syndrome" forums and websites probably overstate it, but adherents blindly citing the official documentation are also wrong based on what has emerged since the drug's release.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-courts-secrecy-propecia/

Yeah 1 or 2 was just a figure - a low percentage is what I meant.

I think people should just try it and see. If it doesn't work, just get back off. Simples.

Yeah 1 or 2 was just a figure - a low percentage is what I meant.

I think people should just try it and see. If it doesn't work, just get back off. Simples.

Agreed. I think a lot of side effects subside after a month or two from anecdotal evidence. There are also studies emerging that microdosing (e.g. 0.05mg/day) is just as effective with minimal systematic side effects. The same goes for topical application.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Does anyone know if its considered essential travel from Dublin if you are going to Turkey in level 5 restrictions for a hair transplant? As i have read it is a medical procedure and that is . Any advice would be great. Any garda on here that could clarify this for me?? PlzðŸ™

I went in August and there were no questions asked. Travel within the country seems to be the bigger hassle now.

Who you going with in Turkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aaronelon3001

Hi there

Ive been to MHR for a consultation and I must say I was very underwhelmed by the whole experience. Its made me think of not going ahead with procedure. Ive checked out other places but everywhere else is just way too expensive.

Go abroad my man. Way cheaper and these places are hair factories, they have tons of experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 aaronelon3001

Go abroad my man. Way cheaper and these places are hair factories, they have tons of experience.

Im leaning that way now.

Cheers

I'll share pics of mine when it's had a chance to grow in case you are interested in using the same guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I'll share pics of mine when it's had a chance to grow in case you are interested in using the same guy.

Did you use a surgeon who does most of work or go with a clinic which was technicians working mainly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

the one thing that annoys me is that when the wind hits my hair still gets messed up whereby i need to comb it again to get in place, you see naturally full heads have no problem with this. In irish weather this is a constant annoyance.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    the one thing that annoys me is that when the wind hits my hair still gets messed up whereby i need to comb it again to get in place, you see naturally full heads have no problem with this. In irish weather this is a constant annoyance.

How do you mean? Your transplanted hair is more susceptible to win???

Did you use a surgeon who does most of work or go with a clinic which was technicians working mainly?

The surgeon did the opening of the canals (I think this is a particularly important part? Not sure!) and supervised the rest while they had a couple technicians do the work.

no man its just the new hair will never be as thick so blows and reveals the gaps, not badly as my hair quite thick, but you know guys will full intact hairlines the hair doesn't budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

no man its just the new hair will never be as thick so blows and reveals the gaps, not badly as my hair quite thick, but you know guys will full intact hairlines the hair doesn't budge.

Where did you get your transplant done? Unfortunately, and I’m open to correction on this, but only a certain amount of follicles can be transplanted per square cm. And the skill of the surgeon is also a factor.

Oh I see. bloody wind!

• Advertisement

dr nel done it, yeah dense packing can result in alot of lost grafts due to poor blood flow, as i said its just when the wind blows hard its annoying.

Advertisement