Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The State of O'Connell St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭StanMcConnell

I can't believe no one's mentioned this. There's one serious thing that O'Connell Street is missing. No good coffee shops!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I can't believe no one's mentioned this. There's one serious thing that O'Connell Street is missing. No good coffee shops!

There's one called Imagine or something. It's orange, and attached to a Londis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Butlers is close enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

D-Generate wrote: »
    You don't get asked for "some change bud" every 15 feet when walking along Oxford Street, Champs-Elysees, Unter den Linden, Times Square, Dam Square (you have to go to the designated dodgy area to be pestered).
    Heck, even closer to home you don't get hassled when walking down Patrick St. in Cork.

Saying that it exists in other cities (which it doesn't to the same extent) is to choose to ignore that it is a problem and that it does reflect poorly on the city. I love Dublin, but I certainly hate this aspect of it.

The Dam and the Damrak - multi-lingual beggars. I've had a beggar ask for spare change in five languages. I finally replied as gaelige. Ha, that confused him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Its not actually that bad if theyd just get all the junkies off it. Need some sort of bylaw enforced to ban junkies from the city center.
    You don't need by-laws to do that.

You just move the methadone clinics back to the suburbs so they go home and sleep. I think there has been some progress on this in fairness.

Where are addicts congregating since the works began on the quayside near Liberty Hall? Further down the Quay maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

later12 wrote: »

You just move the methadone clinics back to the suburbs so they go home and sleep. I think there has been some progress on this in fairness.

Where are addicts congregating since the works began on the quayside near Liberty Hall? Further down the Quay maybe?

Yes, Just one bridge down towards the docks.

About 10 of them on it a few days ago shouting at each other from opposite ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

later12 wrote: »

Yes and also assign some small park out there where they can be left to their own devices. I know in some cities (like Berlin) they have parks where the police allow to a certain extent drugs so that at least it is contained in the one area.

I know it sounds bad, but at least then they wouldn't be in the city centre making a show of this country to the thousands of tourists who visit that part of the city each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Yous should come to Ballyfermot. The main road is like a mini o'connell st.
    Renn wrote: »

That is truly depressing. It disgusts me how many beautiful buildings have been knocked down in this city, useless bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Yes, but there would be cops about, as is already the case with most of the street already.

In any case, either we are going to improve O'Connell St or we are going to just admit the junkies have won. Which is it?

The high police presence never seems to clear away the existing junkie problem - why would they do more just because there's a park there?

No, the only way to clear up our city centre is to decentralize the methadone clinics. Since people attending them have free travel anyway and all the time in the world, there's no need for them to be in the middle of the city.

Free travel? Where the fuck did you hear that. Some on here are aware of my own battle against that bastard of a drug heroin. I finally overcame it and owe my life to friends and family.

On Topic- free travel my hole. I had to pay twice daily bus fairs to go that clinic. Funny how gullible some can be.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

O'Connell Street is almost a complete cultural D U M P .

• Advertisement

SteoL wrote: »
    Free travel? Where the fuck did you hear that. Some on here are aware of my own battle against that bastard of a drug heroin. I finally overcame it and owe my life to friends and family.

On Topic- free travel my hole. I had to pay twice daily bus fairs to go that clinic. Funny how gullible some can be.

Free luas passes for medical card holders, I believe. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but to be fair you don't sound like the wasters who hang around the Abbey St luas stops hassling people with no intention of bettering themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

i dont go into town anymore , its nothing to do with the junkies i can handle them its the tourists they just take over the city, ya cant walk three feet without having to avoid one of them on the footpath, i'd say there is 1 dub to every 4 tourist on oconnell st .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Moderator, I think this thread is going too far off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

its the tourists they just take over the city, ya cant walk three feet without having to avoid one of them on the footpath

Don't ever go on holiday, abroad or in Ireland. Tourists everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Free luas passes for medical card holders, I believe. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but to be fair you don't sound like the wasters who hang around the Abbey St luas stops hassling people with no intention of bettering themselves.

:confused: Where are you getting that from?

It's something I'd heard a lot - that anyone attending a methadone clinic got a free Luas Travel Card or something. I'm after having a good root around on Google though and I can't come up with a single definitive source to back this up. The idea seems to be widely believed however - lots of people on various forums (including Boards) have this idea. I wonder why this idea prevails if it's not true.

So I apologise. I was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

The junkies can't be blamed for wanting to make O'Connell St their home not with a big needle stuck in the middle of it. Like moths to a flame.

The biggest waste of money ever in the boom and now we're all stuck with it to remind the country of its greed and stupidity for the next few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The high police presence never seems to clear away the existing junkie problem - why would they do more just because there's a park there?

No, the only way to clear up our city centre is to decentralize the methadone clinics. Since people attending them have free travel anyway and all the time in the world, there's no need for them to be in the middle of the city.

Can we move the methadone clinics out to where you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

It's something I'd heard a lot - that anyone attending a methadone clinic got a free Luas Travel Card or something. I'm after having a good root around on Google though and I can't come up with a single definitive source to back this up. The idea seems to be widely believed however - lots of people on various forums (including Boards) have this idea. I wonder why this idea prevails if it's not true.

I definitely think there's some kind of perception that they have free travel. I've no idea if they do or not as a result of attending methadone clinics, but anyone who travels on the Luas Red Line regularly will agree that the ticket inspectors don't seem to bothered by the addicts who hop on and off all day. I have seen various passes being shown to the inspectors in these situations. Perhaps some have other medical conditions/disabilities and so are entitled to free travel based on that.

SteoL wrote: »

Thanks. No I'm not like those who ruin town and even I despise them like every other citizen exposed to them on a daily basis.

Through stupidity, severe anxiety attacks and depression and a fear of going doc I foolishly tried smoking heroin and ended up strung out. Think this proves it is not just the lowest class that suffer addiction problems.I did methadone maintenance for 8 months and did a supervised detox in hospital followed by treatment centre. Clean now thankfully and feel sorry for both the addicts in town and those who have to see them.

I'm one of the lucky ones I suppose. I admit to still smoking a spliff and can sometimes suffer from bad anxiety attacks so take the occasional Xanax or Valium.

I am 100% better than I was though.

• Advertisement

People have to slag some people off particularly the lower classes. Why let the truth get in the way of a decent bitch,

I will admit to looking for one when I was on clinic because I was unemployed and it was costing €19 for a 10 journey travel pass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

O'Connell Street ehy? I ask myself what is wrong with this street everyday of the week getting the bus. I actually walk to the southside to get my bus cause i just really dislike the street. The only time its beautiful is summer time, 8am in the morning, on a sunny day and walking with a blind fold on from A-B:p

I would love to know what the hell is with half of the buildings knocked or bored' up like something out of Ballymun.
    The second thing is Those bus stops have to go. Get them off the street altogether. There should be a proper bus siding or a road dedicated. Not on the main Street of Dublin. Why not put the Luas down Grafton street? :rolleyes:

As for all those junkies what the point of having a garda at the GPO, ive been meaning to approach them one day and ask them whats the idea of guarding one building out of hundred's

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I used to go for walks at night through the city centre ....i don't anymore ...there's freedom for ya these days .Tyranny of low life .

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

stinkle wrote: »
    I definitely think there's some kind of perception that they have free travel. I've no idea if they do or not as a result of attending methadone clinics, but anyone who travels on the Luas Red Line regularly will agree that the ticket inspectors don't seem to bothered by the addicts who hop on and off all day. I have seen various passes being shown to the inspectors in these situations. Perhaps some have other medical conditions/disabilities and so are entitled to free travel based on that.

Some of them are eligible for disability payments. Once you receive a certain amount of disability payments you get a free travel pass too, this appears to be what a lot of the junkies are doing.

Some of them are eligible for disability payments. Once you receive a certain amount of disability payments you get a free travel pass too, this appears to be what a lot of the junkies are doing.

Also with colour printers now available there could be 100 'Jane and Joe Bloggs, 123 Fake Street using same pass. Drivers usually just nod em on :angry:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

the street is just getting out of control now

i was down there yesterday and there was human sh*te on the wall and footpath outside the aib at the parnell street end

not wanting to be too graphic but the stuff was fresh and defo human - it looked like someone just leaned up against the wall, dropped their jocks and let loose

but the thing is it was about 3pm when i passed and the scutter obviously hadnt been there long (sorry i know thats disgusting but its true) the stink off it

so some junkie had literally taken a sh*t openly on our main thoroughfare in broad daylight

what if a kid fell in it or something?

how are we supposed to deal with this kind of sub human scum?

like is this a problem that can actually be solved without resorting to euthanasia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

the street is just getting out of control now

i was down there yesterday and there was human sh*te on the wall and footpath outside the aib at the parnell street end

not wanting to be too graphic but the stuff was fresh and defo human - it looked like someone just leaned up against the wall, dropped their jocks and let loose

but the thing is it was about 3pm when i passed and the scutter obviously hadnt been there long (sorry i know thats disgusting but its true) the stink off it

so some junkie had literally taken a sh*t openly on our main thoroughfare in broad daylight

what if a kid fell in it or something?

how are we supposed to deal with this kind of sub human scum?

like is this a problem that can actually be solved without resorting to euthanasia?

It's a answer I despise to give but realistically there's nothing that can be done. We don't have sufficient resources in healthcare to treat them on a large scale in rehab programmes. Due to the nature of the lifestyle they care little for the law and justice system, when they are caught for minor offences they'll be back out on the street a few hours later with a date for the courts they quite likely wont show up for. If they do, they'll get a fine they wont pay or some other punishment which is largely irrelevant.

Euthanasia will never occur either, this is a democracy. Can't kill people because they made a ridiculously stupid decision previously in there life. What this country needs is a proper rehabilitation service but we don't have the funding for it currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

BeerNut wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was almost all post-1916, saving the shell of the GPO.

I don't really mind O'Connell Street. It's comparable to working urban thoroughfares like Wenceslas Square, Times Square or Picadilly Circus: lively, not stand-offish.

You can't buy hot donuts from a hatch on the Champs Elysées, for example :D

Ya have to say where these doughnuts can be bought

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

cson wrote: »
    tatty neon signs
    I thought the Council had banned neon from O'Connell St. in the mid 90's?

If you really want to see how bad O'Connell St. was in the 1970's, get a copy of Billy Connolly's 'Big Bananna Feet' there's a clip of him walking up O'Connell St. and the state of the place would make your jaw drop.

• Advertisement

Ya have to say where these doughnuts can be bought

It's mentioned a good few times on the thread so far you know. You could try something revolutionary like... reading it :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement