Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The State of O'Connell St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MajorMax wrote: »
    Georgian architecture is the name given in most English-speaking countries to the set of architectural styles current between 1720 and 1840. It is eponymous for the first four British monarchs of the House of Hanover—George I of Great Britain, George II of Great Britain, George III of the United Kingdom, and George IV of the United Kingdom—who reigned in continuous succession from August 1714 to June 1830
    Did you not spot the smiley at the end of my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

the big problem with oconnel street is the number of scummers that are always there

clear those scumbaggs away and it will improve

also close that massive pennys that place is a scum magnet they all pile in there for the cheap clothes

dr quirkys is a kip too and should be knocked

theres a mad religon shop near kylemore too whats the story with that place

they should do what they did with ballymun again but for the metodone clinics (have one massive high rise clinic on the outskirts of town and all the scumsacks will flock there)

oh yeah they should also add more attractions to the street

why not move the big wheel that was down the docks up to o connels street

it was a good idea for an attraction it just failed cos nobody was ever down that end of the docks

or open an ice skating rink in that old cinema

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It provides some crackin' tunes when you're stuck waiting 40 minutes for a bus that never arrives when it's supposed to. Couldn't be without it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the council should be ashamed of the way they have let the street go. i have no doubt that if o connell street was located south of the liffey it would be a lot more pleasant
    its just another example of an anti north Dublin bias in DCC.

i would like to see the entire street closed to all traffic and developed into an open civic space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

the big problem with oconnel street is the number of scummers that are always there

clear those scumbaggs away and it will improve

also close that massive pennys that place is a scum magnet they all pile in there for the cheap clothes

dr quirkys is a kip too and should be knocked

they should do what they did with ballymun again but for the metodone clinics (have one massive high rise clinic on the outskirts of town and all the scumsacks will flock there)

But they will soon turn up somewhere else, and we'll have a thread called 'The state of XYZ Street :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

The main problem with O'Connell St is that there are no high end shops. We have Penneys, countless fast food outlets, a Penneys, and a few arcades. Realistically it should be full of the the likes of Clearys, Tommy Hilfigher etc. The street is also in the vicinity of methadone clinics so people from all over Dublin - north, south and west wander around the street & surrounding street intimidating tourists and generally being an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

oh yeah they should also add more attractions to the street

why not move the big wheel that was down the docks up to o connels street

it was a good idea for an attraction it just failed cos nobody was ever down that end of the docks

or open an ice skating rink in that old cinema

good idea!Ye it could be a nice street if they made the effort, like maybe replace the arcade with a theatre and replace the fast food places with highclass restaurants and outdoor seating and maybe some artisan shops along the street and some art galleries. Then wed have a classy street we could be proud of:)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    But they will soon turn up somewhere else, and we'll have a thread called 'The state of XYZ Street :rolleyes:

Yes and that would be a good thing, no matter where the scumbags move to its still better than them being on our MAIN thoroughfare!

TheTwiz wrote: »
    The main problem with O'Connell St is that there are no high end shops. We have Penneys, countless fast food outlets, a Penneys, and a few arcades. Realistically it
    should be full of the the likes of Clearys, Tommy Hilfigher etc
    . The street is also in the vicinity of methadone clinics so people from all over Dublin - north, south and west wander around the street & surrounding street intimidating tourists and generally being an eyesore.

Do we really want that? Another characterless street filled with clone stores found all over the world. No chain clothes stores! It should be a street we could be proud of, instead fill it not with chain stores but nice irish craft and artisan stores and art galleries, nice cafes and restaurants and specialty food stores. We already have grafton and henry street for the international chain stores, so oconell street should be different and more charming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well, they should move all the methadone clinics, and low quality high density housing out of the city centre then, shouldn't they?

God no, I'd rather leave them in town and have the choice to just shop elswhere rather than have them any closer to where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Yes and that would be a good thing, no matter where the scumbags move to its still better than them being on our MAIN thoroughfare!

Or if they would just stop behaving like scumbags...well...I won't hold my breath on that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Those donuts aren't worth €3 for 6. I remember when they were 5 for £1, not 100yrs ago. They may be fresh but they are tiny and not very tasty. Would much rather a filled behemoth Tim Hortons coated in chocolate for €1ish from Dunnes or Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Someone mentioned it would be improved if pedestrianized. If we ignore the traffic problems, this would be great. Dublin lacks an open square type area. Imagine the whole area had no kerbs, and just seats around the place with restaurant and cafes that can have proper outdoor seating outside.
    wyndham wrote: »
    Those donuts aren't worth €3 for 6. I remember when they were 5 for £1, not 100yrs ago. They may be fresh but they are tiny and not very tasty. Would much rather a filled behemoth Tim Hortons coated in chocolate for €1ish from Dunnes or Tesco.

Each to their own, but everything you said is wrong. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Its not actually that bad if theyd just get all the junkies off it. Need some sort of bylaw enforced to ban junkies from the city center.

Why are the clinics in the city centre anyway?

Shut them down and build a super clinic down by the docks

The Luas can take them down there and they won't be hanging around shops and places of business all day and angering the owners.

It's industrial down there

Not saying out of sight, out of mind but business owners are paying big money in rates and they are suffering if there is a clinic nearby

And one top clinic may provide better service then many small ones. The Luas slices through these areas so it's not a problem to get down there

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

The main reason seats were not included in the upgrade of the area,was that they would encourage the scumbags to actually sit down and drink their drink,take their drugs,and make the place look worse,rather than just hang around!

Yeah, they went to the boardwalk instead

Lots of seating to hang around, relax and hassle tourists and locals

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Why are the clinics in the city centre anyway?

Shut them down and build a super clinic down by the docks

The Luas can take them down there and they won't be hanging around shops and places of business all day and angering the owners.

It's industrial down there

Not saying out of sight, out of mind but business owners are paying big money in rates and they are suffering if there is a clinic nearby

And one top clinic may provide better service then many small ones. The Luas slices through these areas so it's not a problem to get down there

You're gas

Tell me something better so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

cson wrote: »
    Typing this out on my phone so it'll be brief, but its just struck me there how much of a hole the main thoroughfare in our capital city is. Wall to wall fast food places and tatty neon signs. And despite all of this it still has so much potential - some fantastic georgian architecture if only it was cared for :(

It has the potential to be a lovely street again. I often there quite often and it never ceases to amaze me how tacky and grubby it is. Its one of the widest main streets in Europe, if not the widest, it could be beautiful again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I have been in Dublin 8 months now and due to the awful nature of O'Connell St and its environs I have only crossed O'Connell St Bridge 4 or 5 times in that time (not including trips to the airport and the likes).
    It truly is an awful kip on O'Connell St with a very threatening atmosphere. There are very few places in the world where you are walking down one of the main thoroughfares of a city in broad daylight and have to be wary about someone coming up hassling you for money. No other major cities* seem to allow their main streets descend into a haven for junkies and knackers quite like Dublin has allowed O'Connell St to become one.

Has there ever been a response by the DCC or the Gardai actually acknowledging the shady aspect to the street?

*The Tenderloin district in San Francisco is hella dodge but at least it is 1 block away from the main area. Also, they tend to hassle their own and not tourists so it is relatively safe despite appearances.

yeah to be honest the difference in scummyness is evident the minute you cross the river

westmorland street kind of eases you into it as its pretty kippy but once you cross o connell bridge its instantly rougher and scummyer

im not surprised youve been swerving the area d generate

its disgracful how the guards just ignore the problem as if its not there and theres no problem

im embarased being from dublin when this is what visitors see when they come to ireland

its a long term problem that needs to be solved long term

a. the scaldy shops and fast food places need to go

b. the scum have to be tackled and kept away

3. the street has to be revamped and cleaned

4. high end shops have to be attracted

5. ordinary people not scum bags need to be attracted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Are you kidding OP ?

O'Connell street is ten times better than it was ten years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Being asked for money isn't dangerous. If you just say no, they will leave you alone. Honestly, O'Connell street isn't dangerous in the slightest. It's certainly run down and tatty in parts, and has its share of drunks and addicts, but ignore them and they'll ignore you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Being asked for money isn't dangerous. If you just say no, they will leave you alone. Honestly, O'Connell street isn't dangerous in the slightest. It's certainly run down and tatty in parts, and has its share of drunks and addicts, but ignore them and they'll ignore you.

I agree, but the romas can be extremely annoying during the day. They will happily mumble, "plzbittamoniescanyougivemepleaseIsopoor" at you for 20 minutes while you just keep saying "NO." They're relentless!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

D-Generate wrote: »
    very threatening atmosphere. There are very few places in the world where you are walking down one of the main thoroughfares of a city in broad daylight and have to be wary about someone coming up hassling you for money

http://www.ryanair.com/ie

www.interrailnet.com

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/campers/for-sale/Ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

It looks grand but its full of chippers and pubs which sums up Ireland but what else can afford the rent but booze related activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There are very few places in the world where you are walking down one of the main thoroughfares of a city in broad daylight and have to be wary about someone coming up hassling you for money..

I've never been to a city and NOT seen beggers of some sort or another. Presume some feel extra embaressment because its in their city. It might even be the case were people don't really notice stuff like this while on holiday (too busy enjoying themselves) but get sick of being confronted by it every day/week

I know I've never felt threatened (or close to being threatened) by them, but they're an eyesore. No question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

You don't get asked for "some change bud" every 15 feet when walking along Oxford Street, Champs-Elysees, Unter den Linden, Times Square, Dam Square (you have to go to the designated dodgy area to be pestered).
    Heck, even closer to home you don't get hassled when walking down Patrick St. in Cork.

Saying that it exists in other cities (which it doesn't to the same extent) is to choose to ignore that it is a problem and that it does reflect poorly on the city. I love Dublin, but I certainly hate this aspect of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You don't get asked for "some change bud" every 15 feet when walking along Oxford Street, Champs-Elysees, Unter den Linden, Times Square, Dam Square (you have to go to the designated dodgy area to be pestered).

Thats the point I'm making. You get whatever the local phrase is. You've seriously never been approached by a begger in Times Square or Oxford Street?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement