Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WARNING:Risk Of Disruption,High Ground Snow/Ice Likely For Northern Regions, Sat/Sun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Snowing here for the past half an hour, doesn't look like it in the video but coming down nice and heavy, sadly the best snow I've seen all winter outside of the hills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvThRZo5MiU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Snowing heavy enough now, but not sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Bit of ice in the rain here, and some sleet. very strong gusts of wind too

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Is the worst to come during tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

No, activity should begin to diminish throughout the evening and only the north should continue to see some lighter showers.

This is the longest weather descriptor I've ever seen in a metar! Knock at 1 pm, light shower of rain, graupel and snow!

EIKN 181300Z 29021KT 2600NW -SHRAGSSN FEW009 BKN016CB 04/M01 Q1010 NOSIG=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Weirdest day ever weather wise, its snowing now, sleety wet stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Its 6.4c here at the moment, there was a brief hail shower earlier. Have a look at the dew points.

http://www.dromahair.galwaycityweather.com/trends.htm

Gerry Murphy on RTE just now, just the odd mention of wintry showers for the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Just had a moderate rain shower in Cork, with the odd speck of sleet thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Lightning (sferics) being picked up over parts of the NW at the moment:

193252.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Su Campu wrote: »
    No, activity should begin to diminish throughout the evening and only the north should continue to see some lighter showers.

This is the longest weather descriptor I've ever seen in a metar! Knock at 1 pm, light shower of rain, graupel and snow!

EIKN 181300Z 29021KT 2600NW -SHRAGSSN FEW009 BKN016CB 04/M01 Q1010 NOSIG=
    Lot of hype for nothing so, was hoping we might have seen some snow in Galway ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Something of a feature moving south through Ulster now, i wonder what it is falling as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Lot of hype for nothing so, was hoping we might have seen some snow in Galway ;(
    There was only ever a slight chance for Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Something of a feature moving south through Ulster now, i wonder what it is falling as?

A mixed bag of rain sleet AND snow according to Net Weather Radar .. Can't post image thought as I'm on my phone here in work ! :( .. Would of loved to hav gone for a drove for some photos! :(

Fell mostly as snow here and gave a decent covering for a while

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A few sparks thrown in as well.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/lightning.asp

Ballyhaise reported moderate rain from that shower on 4pm reports though temp fell to 2.0c. Snow reported at Knock - from the same shower that just brought rain in Tuam a few mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Looks like a nice band of showers pushing down from the North. Hopefully they don't fizzle out and we get some snow showers.

www.kildareweather.com

Glenanne reported light snow showers at 4pm

sheet of snow or hail to my northwest, but shower may just stay to far inland for me here by the sea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Plenty of thunder to be heard around here.

• Advertisement

Rain! snowy looking cloud though:o

Very heavy hail and squally showers in Meath i'm being told so they should make it to Kildare.

www.kildareweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

sheet of snow or hail to my northwest, but shower may just stay to far inland for me here by the sea!
    I abandoned my cycle training session due to this cloud ( was doing loops of of a circuit just west of the M1 near Balbriggan) as when I hit high ground that cloud looked very ominous. Could feel the wind getting stronger and very cold rain getting lashed against me.But am home 10mns and where has it gone?I would have put money on that cloud containing snow or at least more rain.

That band of showers is the remains of the comma system and has now just reached here with very strong squally gusts and sideways small hail and the odd sleety mush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Better chance as darkness falls for remaining showers to lie on North hills.

193262.JPG

prec_nordeuro-2.gif

We got the edge of it. Saw some snow flakes! That's it for the winter then, was terrific!

Gone very dark here in Naas and wind has picked up a fair bit. Last throw of the dice for here this afternoon so hopefully there is some snow to look at.

www.kildareweather.com

Big squally shower that passed a few minutes ago.... No snow from it though

50B86302E9E9479B9BBE6C618CC2F9A4-0000336016-0002742078-00800L-F56A91B83C5F42C6A44C5434B1CDE9D9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Had some quite strange clouds as one of the heavier showers of hail/snow passed through earlier (it looked more dramatic than the pic shows). Anybody know what type of cloud formation this might be?

20120218_151742-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Darwin wrote: »
    Had some quite strange clouds as one of the heavier showers of hail/snow passed through earlier (it looked more dramatic than the pic shows). Anybody know what type of cloud formation this might be?

Mammatus

Mammatus, nice capture, quite unusual to see any in this country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud

Snowing again here now, impressive to watch with the strong wind blowing it sideways

Looks like mammatus type clouds to me. They form on the underside of the anvil on Towering CB's.
    Excellent picture too.

I think it hasn't turned out to be the event that we thought, with mostly hail and sleet being reported, and the odd snow shower, especially on high ground. All stations on the island of Ireland, and most in Scotlant too, reported either rain or hail at 6 pm, except for Knock (203 m), which reported a snow shower.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2012&mes=02&day=18hora=18&vsg=Sg

There are a few hours left where some of these showers could turn out more wintry but I think we can now probably write off February for cold and look towards starting a Spring 2012 thread. The rest of the month looks fairly mild, with no sign of anything colder than a brief glancing blow like today's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

Had a big snow shower at 5 o'clock, started as hail but turned to heavy snow. Tried its best to stick.

Posting from a mobile so cant imbed the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2fK3cNF7I&context=C35292b1ADOEgsToPDskLX1izNhTYh53P1G9dJj-3p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Do you know - I would not be surprised if weathercheck woke up to a dusting of snow in the morning.;) The snow showers will continue across the North of the country with snow settling readily there. The showers will penetrate inland from time to time aswell and it's not inconceivable that some light showers could reach the East of the country and down into the midlands. And anything that falls will be snow and will settle. So you never know. Turning very cold inland down to -2 or -3c. Dry but cold tomorrow.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Do you know - I would not be surprised if weathercheck woke up to a dusting of snow in the morning.;) The snow showers will continue across the North of the country with snow settling readily there. The showers will penetrate inland from time to time aswell and it's not inconceivable that some light showers could reach the East of the country and down into the midlands. And anything that falls will be snow and will settle. So you never know. Turning very cold inland down to -2 or -3c. Dry but cold tomorrow.

Love your enthusiasm DM2 and Optimism. Good call on today you weren't far off. If you combine 50% of your forecast with 50% of SU's its a damn good forecast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Mammatus
    yeah saw some mammatus here too as a sleety hail shower passed through arklow around 330.
    It left a dusting on the hills here above 1000ft or so.
    It says a lot for how poor a winter we have had considering that's only the 3rd time since November that I've seen any kind of covering on that stretch of high ground west of arklow, none of which lasted more than half a day.
    Up on croghan mtn above it,circa 1800ft and higher,there was a decent cover for a few days in February alright.
    Poor enough though,one of the worst winters,snow wise,if not the worst I remember for the higher ground round this part of the east.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

No showers atall atall here in sunny Sandyford; but some passed to the north (over the City) and a few non-stick snow showers up on Three Rock.

Light wind-driven non-stick snow at 1,500ft asl in an area that has over twenty mornings with snow cover in an average year ain't really very exciting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Had some decent hail and snow showers this afternoon in these parts - never had a hope of sticking though given the toasty ground temps:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pauldry

some really heavy hail in sligo with some sleet at times , may have been more wintry out the country but i was only in the town today. Wind made hail showers quite dramatic. At least its better than the 3 weeks of strata rain and drizzle to come from Monday onwards.

Someone asked me yesterday what I thought Summer would be like.

Well going by the last 6 years wet, cloudy and windy. With very little sun.

Thats generally been the weather here since 2005 and sunshine levels seem to be dropping more readily.

In fact today and last saturday were the sunniest days of the past couple of weeks here and it rained n both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭davehey79

Bucketing snow in Longford town now but to wet to stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Had a snow shower at 3:40pm, it was heavy enough for a short period, blizzard like as the wind gusted to 80km/hr with my 4 metre high anemometer.
    The gust was actually higher than the storm gusts on January 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

blackius wrote: »
    yeah saw some mammatus here too as a sleety hail shower passed through arklow around 330.
    It left a dusting on the hills here above 1000ft or so.
    It says a lot for how poor a winter we have had considering that's only the 3rd time since November that I've seen any kind of covering on that stretch of high ground west of arklow, none of which lasted more than half a day.
    Up on croghan mtn above it,circa 1800ft and higher,there was a decent cover for a few days in February alright.
    Poor enough though,one of the worst winters,snow wise,if not the worst I remember for the higher ground round this part of the east.

I have to say the same, I can't remember a winter with so little snow. We normally get at least a couple of inches.
    I can only remember two dustings of snow this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

I love snow like anyone else but one day is enough lol :pac::pac:

God bless the winter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

I think it hasn't turned out to be the event that we thought, with mostly hail and sleet being reported, and the odd snow shower, especially on high ground. All stations on the island of Ireland, and most in Scotlant too, reported either rain or hail at 6 pm, except for Knock (203 m), which reported a snow shower.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2012&mes=02&day=18hora=18&vsg=Sg

There are a few hours left where some of these showers could turn out more wintry but I think we can now probably write off February for cold and look towards starting a Spring 2012 thread. The rest of the month looks fairly mild, with no sign of anything colder than a brief glancing blow like today's.

We had snow down on east coast of Antrim today. And I am at sea level.

Just to keep this historic, unforgettable day (:pac:) in Irish weather on record, here is a radar animation I did up that covers the last 24hrs or so.

radaran18212.gif
    Radar Images taken from Weatheronline.co.uk

Impressive swing from a west to northwest direction in the shower streams during the afternoon.

Met Eireann radar not picking these up.
    These would be all snow now on high ground
    From NW
    193317.JPG

This belt is still being fed into the north, could add up before it dies off.

193318.JPG

Serious showers up there still

193319.JPG

193322.JPG

Hope those roads are well gritted

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement