Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia?/Tips for good sleep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

My sleeping was bad before but ever since I got the covid vaccine (AZ) its gone to pot completely. Back to sleep aids from the Dr :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

cj maxx wrote: »
    My sleeping was bad before but ever since I got the covid vaccine (AZ) its gone to pot completely. Back to sleep aids from the Dr :(
    Definitely see Dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Fathom wrote: »
    Definitely see Dr.

Oh I have a repeat prescription :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

My wife likes to listen to that low grade skanger crap talk show on FM104 at night (sorry I don't know it's name). It drives me nuts. Even when she uses ear phones I can still hear those morons.

I find it very difficult to sleep in advance of requiring it. Some people can do it. I occasionally start work at 4am which means getting up at 3am but I can only go to bed at the regular time the night before.
    I have to b up at 5 and go to sleep at 11.sometimes not actually falling asleep until after one.
    Shift work is a bitch. The second shift I usually fall asleep straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

I have to b up at 5 and go to sleep at 11.sometimes not actually falling asleep until after one.

The comment you responded to is fifteen years old. Wonder does Wishbone Ash still have to suffer through Adrian Kennedy on a nightly basis. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Ive read several times that long periods of shift work can lower your life expectancy. Highly detrimental to your health.

cj maxx wrote: »
    Oh I have a repeat prescription :(

I think routine is so important, I'm back sleeping a solid 6 hours a night (mostly) because I've a routine that I stick to along with good sleep hygiene and daily exercise and diet. When I break from this routine I can see sleep problems creep back in, good sleep is something I need to maintain all the time and maybe the lockdown and the year we've all had has made this difficult but hopefully all this passes and you can get back to where you where.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

TP_CM wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the 45 minute sleepcasts on Headspace? I'm absolutely loving those at the moment when I wake up at night.

Hi TP_CM. What's your favorite headspace one(s)?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

Never really thought I had an issue with sleep or switching off until I got an injury 6 weeks ago and I am off working since. I used to get home at 7 or 8 PM and bed around 9.30 or10.30. Getting up was usually around 5am but alot of the time could be earlier. While in bed I found it hard to switch off constantly planning next day, next job, going over what had been done the day before sometimes still being awake at 1am. Sometimes worrying about things that could happen.

Now I go to bed around 11pm and wake around 8 or 830am but really sleeping sound.

I am seriously thinking of changing jobs. Probably will have to take a cut in wages but never realised until my injury what an affect my job had on me and my sleeping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I think routine is so important
    Most of the literature I have read suggests this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi TP_CM. What's your favorite headspace one(s)?

Sorry Worztron, I'm only seeing this now. My favourite ones are those "narrated by Simon". He has a David Attenborough type voice. The 2 I go back to are Slow Train and Botanical Gardens. They change it slightly every night to stop me remembering what comes next. Luckily I only need them once or twice a week these days. Last night it was slow train.

I see he also has one called Sandy Cove which i might check out next.

Interesting article on box breathing.

I think routine is so important..."

I'd call it the single most important thing.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Sorry Worztron, I'm only seeing this now. My favourite ones are those "narrated by Simon". He has a David Attenborough type voice. The 2 I go back to are Slow Train and Botanical Gardens. They change it slightly every night to stop me remembering what comes next. Luckily I only need them once or twice a week these days. Last night it was slow train.

I see he also has one called Sandy Cove which i might check out next.

Cheers, TP_CM. I'll check them out. :)

---

Edit: I see Simon is mentioned here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Headspace/comments/jazv10/best_sleepcast_narrator

---

Edit: Is this the Simon guy that you mentioned?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OHvPNatlBc

I'd call it the single most important thing.
    Practice builds routines for sleep. Automaticity. May become unconscious over time. Richard Clark at USC elaborates upon this from learning perspective.

Interesting article on box breathing.
    Hi Fathom. I just tried that. It's great. When I opened my eyes at the 5 minute mark - I was incredibly relaxed. Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ive read several times that long periods of shift work can lower your life expectancy. Highly detrimental to your health.

Certainly had a massive impact on my sleeping and overall wellbeing...

My body and brain hated shift work.. mentioned it before but I dropped about 6 or..7 grand in shift pay to get back on days

There are hundreds if not thousands of studies linking night work to increasing your chances of developing certain cancers, heart problems, strokes...it’s bad for your brain..and body..

No money, and I mean NONE, would entice me to do nights again. Not 100,000 a year.

Sleeping was fücked dot com, wellbeing and energy levels non existent, just couldn’t sleep.

What I found helps me now...

1. Exercising every day. Shortly before bed especially, just 30 minutes on my exercise bike and hit it hard...

2. Ensuring any worries or stresses are sorted and dealt with in my head before bed.. I could be a bit of a worrier so if there was a work or personal situation annoying me, that gets put away now, I’m not lying thinking about it.

3. Good diet, better diet...proven to help... taking your scheduled lunch break at work for the full hour duration regardless of whatever is happening... I used to have a habit of being ‘flexible’.. not now, health first,

Strumms wrote: »

Certainly had a massive impact on my sleeping and overall wellbeing...

My body and brain hated shift work.. mentioned it before but I dropped about 6 or..7 grand in shift pay to get back on days

There are hundreds if not thousands of studies linking night work to increasing your chances of developing certain cancers, heart problems, strokes...it’s bad for your brain..and body..

No money, and I mean NONE, would entice me to do nights again. Not 100,000 a year.

Sleeping was fücked dot com, wellbeing and energy levels non existent, just couldn’t sleep.

What I found helps me now...

1. Exercising every day. Shortly before bed especially, just 30 minutes on my exercise bike and hit it hard...

2. Ensuring any worries or stresses are sorted and dealt with in my head before bed.. I could be a bit of a worrier so if there was a work or personal situation annoying me, that gets put away now, I’m not lying thinking about it.

3. Good diet, better diet...proven to help... taking your scheduled lunch break at work for the full hour duration regardless of whatever is happening... I used to have a habit of being ‘flexible’.. not now, health first,

Good for you, and I agree you cannot put a price on your health. Diet and exercise are the default things that everyone with sleep troubles should adopt but as we all agree are only a part of the overall puzzle. Find what works for you, Im sleeping a solid 6 hours a night now and I feel great from it, I have a bit of a weird routine now that comes from my the fear I had of getting into bed and rolling around. I fall asleep on the couch every night now then wake up soon after, not sure what time as I dont look and get to bed when I'm sleepy and conk out straight away. Not ideal I know but a whole lot better hat it was as I'm getting 6 hours or sometimes a little more of quality sleep every night.

... I have a bit of a weird routine now that comes from my the fear I had of getting into bed and rolling around. I fall asleep on the couch every night now then wake up soon after, not sure what time as I dont look and get to bed when I'm sleepy and conk out straight away. Not ideal I know but a whole lot better hat it was as I'm getting 6 hours or sometimes a little more of quality sleep every night.

Hi olestoepoke. I often fall asleep in bed during the week, watching old TV programs on my PC (with a blue light filter). It's due to being worn out from my job. I usually wake about 1:30-2am, go to the loo and then back to bed and sleep soon after. I find this kind of scenario works great also.

I generally don't have an issue with initially falling asleep -- instead, waking too early and not being able to get back to sleep is my biggest issue.

Hi Fathom. I just tried that. It's great. When I opened my eyes at the 5 minute mark - I was incredibly relaxed. Thank you. :)
    Cool! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I love listening to podcasts or audio lectures as I go to sleep.
    Music seems to stimulate me more, even if it's "relaxing" music (does not work for me).

Most podcasts though, particularly the American ones, can be very annoying, and people laugh way too much.
    BBC In Our Time is OK.

I would find a human voice far too intrusive...Reading helps.. But these days as I have no outside obligations I just sleep when I can and never worry if I cannot. I rather enjoy pottering around the place in the small hours - and now it is light early I can wander the lanes to the shore.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Reading helps..
    Eyes get heavy. Off to sleep I go. Once in a rare occasion my dream relates to what I have read. Active dreaming. Cool! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just an fyi on those interested in trying Melatonin. PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST BEFORE TAKING.This is 1.9mg and has Magnesium and Vitamin B6 so be careful.
    I ordered some from Amazon Spain and arrived within a week. I bought a 3 month supply as they work for me.
    Anyway link below if you are on the Amazon app you can just change the country and buy using your Amazon UK account, not sure if Prime works but cost me €8 for delivery had it in about a week.
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07CWG4T4P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_PNSHWXZZN7P9GRM0YY64?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Just an fyi on those interested in trying Melatonin, I ordered some from Amazon Spain and arrived within a week. I bought a 3 month supply as they work for me.
    Anyway link below if you are on the Amazon app you can just change the country and buy using your Amazon UK account, not sure if Prime works but cost me €8 for delivery had it in about a week.
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07CWG4T4P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_PNSHWXZZN7P9GRM0YY64?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

MOD Caution. You should consult your GP before doing anything with melatonin.

"OTC melatonin has been banned for years in the United Kingdom (UK), European Union, Japan, Australia and most recently Canada. Exogenous melatonin is not outlawed by these countries but regarded as a medicine, available only by prescription."

Source:
    Madeleine M. Grigg-Damberger and Dessislava Ianakieva. Poor Quality Control of Over-the-Counter Melatonin: What They Say Is Often Not What You Get. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 13(2): 163–165 (published online 15 February 2017).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

"OTC melatonin has been banned for years in the United Kingdom (UK), European Union, Japan, Australia and most recently Canada. Exogenous melatonin is not outlawed by these countries but regarded as a medicine, available only by prescription."

Source:
    Madeleine M. Grigg-Damberger and Dessislava Ianakieva. Poor Quality Control of Over-the-Counter Melatonin: What They Say Is Often Not What You Get. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 13(2): 163–165 (published online 15 February 2017).

Thanks I've edited my post to check with their Doctor before using but feel free to delete my post if it breaks any rules or let me know and I'll delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Source:

It's openly available in just about every other country on the planet and it is most certainly not banned over-the-counter in Canada.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Thanks I've edited my post to check with their Doctor before using but feel free to delete my post if it breaks any rules or let me know and I'll delete it.
    No worries. I cited the 2017 article primarily due to quality issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I posted here a while back because I was suffering from sleep maintenance insomnia. For 10+ years no matter what time I fell asleep (10pm/11pm/12am) I would wake up exactly 5 hours later and lie awake for 2-2.5 hours before suddenly feeling (and looking) absolutely exhausted. The Headspace sleepcasts helped a bit but I decided to try the sleep restriction.

So just as the mornings became brighter about a month ago, I decided to set the strict routine. - Bed at 11:10pm and up out of bed at 4:30am (5 hours after waking).

I tried to stay away from screens during this early morning time. So I got dressed and went downstairs and started studying a foreign language from an old book for about an hour. Then at around 6:30am, when I would normally become absolutely exhausted, I drank 2 cups of coffee and went for a long walk in the sun. I drank quite a bit of coffee then until 2pm.

After 3 days of this, the first thing I noticed was a crash at around 8pm-10pm. I was drunk tired and barely able to function. But I kept all lights on, I kept moving around and going for walks to keep myself awake. Definitely day 4,5, and 6 were very difficult in this way. Presumably the lack of sleep and a coffee/caffeine crash.

By day 7 I started to see results. I slept solid from 11:30pm until 6am. The next day was until 6:30am and eventually I started to sleep from 11:30pm to 7:30am eventhough I might be woken up during the night a couple of times.

It seems to work for me but I would still say that I'm a bad sleeper. A week or so ago, I went to bed after 12am and slept until 7:30 and started looking at emails on my phone in bed and the sleep maintenance insomnia started to happen again the following few nights. So again, I got up early around 6/6:30, and went for walks until it was back in order.

I suppose it's just something I need to be a lot more disciplined at than others. I'm sure bad habits will knock me back again sometime. I do know that lying in bed with my phone seems to really knock me out of a better routine.

Lessons learned -

- Better to do it during bright/dry mornings
    - Have literally everything ready for those early hours - clothes/activity/even the coffee mug beside the kettle!
    - Learn what time in the afternoon your body crashes - For me it was 5pm-6pm and 8pm-10pm
    - No alcohol for those few weeks
    - Find a good bed time snack. I have 2 slices of toast with butter about 45 minutes before sleep.
    - No coffee after 2pm

I also have to stop myself sleeping past 7:30am to ensure I stay in the routine. Some days, particularly weekends, I find this difficult.

I'm sure I still have a bit to learn about this but these are my findings so far. Just wanted to share them here in case it helps anyone else who has sleep maintenance insomnia.

I'm sure I still have a bit to learn about this but these are my findings so far. Just wanted to share them here in case it helps anyone else who has sleep maintenance insomnia.
    Reread your post. Useful. Informative. Anecdotal. Suggests to me that we have individual differences. Share some things. Others not. Establishing sleep routines important. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Counting sheep always works well for me. But it sucks when I wake up in the field early morning, frozen, soaked and covered in sh1t, with some mad farmer shouting in my face.

Advertisement