Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't realise the €9 meal in bars was a fad

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The whole country getting warned cause of pubs in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

There's a thing called ... A joke.

Is there? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

In my local in Dublin tonight for 1st time in months. Very surprised that no one (expect our group) was buying food.

I am very annoyed because I suspect that they will close pubs indefinitely which is not good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

alentejo wrote: »
    I am very annoyed because I suspect that they will close pubs indefinitely which is not good too!

Just hope that's the worst that happens. Will be pretty pissed off if they have to to undo some of the phase 3 relaxations as well.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Benimar wrote: »
    You are spot on and all of your points will be ignored by the 'I never knew a €9 meal could cure Covid..hur, hur, hur' brigade.

The post directly below yours being a case in point.

(Some) people are more interested in having a feed of drink than following some pretty basic guidelines.

Either the pubs flouting the current guidelines will be shut this week, or the opening of all pubs on July 20th will be delayed.

These posts are about making the guidelines which are aren't that logical in terms of the virus sound good, they aren't though it's simply 70's style thinking.
    What good does enforcing the meal rules do? What good does enforcing the time limit do?
    What should be enforced is the taking contact details and social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

These posts are about making the guidelines which are aren't that logical in terms of the virus sound good, they aren't though it's simply 70's style thinking.
    What good does enforcing the meal rules do? What good does enforcing the time limit do?
    What should be enforced is the taking contact details and social distancing.

1. Establishments serving food are allowed open. Pubs aren’t. If you are serving alcohol and not food you are a pub. Therefore you should not be open.
    2. If you share an enclosed space with someone for more than 2 hours you can be considered a close contact. If Snotzer McGee at Table 7 tests positive and you have been in the same restaurant as him for over 2 hours, you may have to self isolate pending a test result. That’s some pain in the hole just because you wanted an extra drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Was in Killarney for the last few days for a staycation and have to admit all pubs/restaurants we went to were strict on the 105 minute rule, the 9 euro minimum for food and it had to be per person.

We were given the bill a short time before the 105 minutes were up and told to drink up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The whole country getting warned cause of pubs in Dublin
    It clearly isn't just in Dublin...read the post just before your original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Benimar wrote: »
    1. Establishments serving food are allowed open. Pubs aren’t. If you are serving alcohol and not food you are a pub. Therefore you should not be open.
    2. If you share an enclosed space with someone for more than 2 hours you can be considered a close contact. If Snotzer McGee at Table 7 tests positive and you have been in the same restaurant as him for over 2 hours, you may have to self isolate pending a test result. That’s some pain in the hole just because you wanted an extra drink.

1-That's not answering the question of why these are the rules it's just saying these are the rules? We could bring back the Holy hour and that would be the law, wouldn't make sense though.

2- I'd argue the time limit thing could actually be a negative, time limit is that long that risk isn't going to scale up that much if your sitting there longer, it's not like the time limit is five minutes. The negative is the time limit encourages a higher turnover of customers while being long enough to be high risk anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Unenforceable well-meaning bollocks. Can't say I'm surprised about the Dublin pubs footage, all the rules go out the window when people have pints on board.

If the guards don't have powers to penalise or shut places or clear people off without "my rights" sassmouth it's next to useless.

• Advertisement

1-That's not answering the question of why these are the rules it's just saying these are the rules? We could bring back the Holy hour and that would be the law, wouldn't make sense though.

2- I'd argue the time limit thing could actually be a negative, time limit is that long that risk isn't going to scale up that much if your sitting there longer, it's not like the time limit is five minutes. The negative is the time limit encourages a higher turnover of customers while being long enough to be high risk anyway.

1. I think it’s fair to say that everyone knows why pubs might be considered more high risk than restaurants. That’s hardly a controversial statement. It’s also not unreasonable to allow restaurants open before pubs. For pubs wishing to operate as restaurants they must follow the licensing laws for restaurants (although they don’t actually need the licence itself currently). Within those laws is the reference to the substantial meal and the €9. It has not been pulled out of thin air.
    2. What if you don’t get infected by Snotzer? At 105 minutes you aren’t considered a close contact and can go about your business. At 120 minutes you are Considered a close contact and have to self isolate. I believe you have to have 2 negative tests over 7 days before you are clear (open to correction on that). It’s a big price to pay for not adhering to the time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was trying to watch the second half of the Spurs match in Kilmurry Lodge yesterday. The woman said I need to buy a meal prior to my first pint. Didn't wash with her when I said there is eating and drinking in pints of stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Homelander wrote: »
    I'm actually amazed people attempted to argue it was anything other than this insanely obvious, logical fact.

Like seriously, the people who suggested it was to stop people getting drunk on an empty stomach, you'd swear pubs had just opened up after another mass-famine event.
    What good does enforcing the meal rules do
    Why do you guys think there has been the meal rule for restaurants for so long? There is nothing new about it.

And this law?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html
    Children (anyone under the age of 18) are only allowed in licensed premises if they are with a parent or guardian, but this provision carries certain restrictions. For example, if accompanied by a parent/guardian, the child may remain on the premises between the hours of 10:30am - 9pm (until 10pm from May to September) unless the licence holder feels this is injurious to the child's health, safety and welfare. Children aged between 15 and 17 years may remain on the premises after 9pm where they are attending a private function at which a substantial meal is served. All licensed premises must display a sign to this effect in a prominent place at all times and failure to do so can result in a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Or if a couple go to a pub, is it enough that one of them orders food?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Yes meals all round

Go and enjoy yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yeah ,one should be fine.
    Maybe bring a sandwich in your pocket just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Yes, corona will only stay at bay if everyone at the table orders E9 (no less) of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You don't need to order food if you're having soft drinks because food and soft drinks prevent you contracting Corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup a E9 meal is Irelands vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Genuine question, but why have they taken this approach? Once the pub has social distance in place and there is table service what difference does it make that you have booked ahead and have a bit of food in front of you? I have heard of a lot of publicans complaining about no shows and that if the group had cancelled they could have filled the table. It just makes no sense to me so I must be missing something!

• Advertisement

You'll all be like foreign students. One of them buys a pint while all the others look at them drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Genuine question, but why have they taken this approach? Once the pub has social distance in place and there is table service what difference does it make that you have booked ahead and have a bit of food in front of you? I have heard of a lot of publicans complaining about no shows and that if the group had cancelled they could have filled the table. It just makes no sense to me so I must be missing something!
    I'm guessing here but I'm sure a few people on here did the riveting RSA course over in OZ. The theory is people drink slower when they eat therefore they are more likely to stay sober therefore less likely to start hugging/kissing etc and keep the 2 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

It's because pubs haven't opened yet so are using restaurants opening as a way to open a few weeks early.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Genuine question, but why have they taken this approach?
    If you answer this honestly you might realise.

-Why do you guys think there has been the meal rule for restaurants for so long? There is nothing new about it.

And this law?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html
    Children (anyone under the age of 18) are only allowed in licensed premises if they are with a parent or guardian, but this provision carries certain restrictions. For example, if accompanied by a parent/guardian, the child may remain on the premises between the hours of 10:30am - 9pm (until 10pm from May to September) unless the licence holder feels this is injurious to the child's health, safety and welfare. Children aged between 15 and 17 years may remain on the premises after 9pm where they are attending a private function at which a substantial meal is served. All licensed premises must display a sign to this effect in a prominent place at all times and failure to do so can result in a fine.

You don't need to order food if you're having soft drinks because food and soft drinks prevent you contracting Corona.

Hilarious, I haven’t heard that joke before :rolleyes:

At least I assume it’s a ‘joke’ because at this stage everyone must be aware of the basic fact that any pub currently open has to operate as a restaurant.

Advertisement