Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Didn't realise the €9 meal in bars was a fad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Should it not be the HSE enforcing this?

There is nothing to enforce, cant enforce 'guidelines'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

There is nothing to enforce, cant enforce 'guidelines'

This is true CB, but both the guards and the EHOs can make life very difficult for you, esp at licence renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Awful lot of people getting thick or thinking I posted this for a rise or a reaction! Ha.

Yesterday was my first time going out to a bar /restaurant whatever you wanna call it.

We were heading to our local Indian and wanted to have a drink somewhere beforehand, regardless of whether we needed to spend €9 on a 'meal' with our two drinks, we didn't care that we had to.

But yet when we arrived to said place, there were no menus anywhere, no plastic screen things dividing the bar and the customers, no mention of food or a time limit either. And this place is a gastrobar type place

I didn't post it for a rise, it made me laugh actually, Ireland once again trying to make up rules that barely anyone sticks to.

My one question is, while I was sitting there a member of the Gardaí walked in. Clearly saw large groups of people sitting at tables together with all pints on the table no food, not social distancing the tables beside them, and he just walked right out?

No plastic screens on the bar or table service. 2 hrs later passed the place and it was the same.

Yet the Gardaí are meant to be 'checking for compliance' today...
    Yesterday was your first time? You deserve a medal for resisting the urge until the very first weekend that the pubs reopened.

You were prepared to order a 9 euro meal in the pub before going to an Indian for a meal, so you were going to eat 2 substantial meals in a row then?

Or were you intending on just paying lip service to the first substantial meal to flout the rules just like everyone else you were complaining about?

You’re like the person who drives to the crowded beach, struggles to find parking and then complains about everyone else not acting responsibly

Shelflife wrote: »
    This is true CB, but both the guards and the EHOs can make life very difficult for you, esp at licence renewal time.

Indeed. However have you ever heard of a judge refusing a licence on the basis of a Garda objecting? And in these specific cases there is no legal basis for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Indeed. However have you ever heard of a judge refusing a licence on the basis of a Garda objecting? And in these specific cases there is no legal basis for doing so

I haven’t to be honest, but as we know we’re in different times now, I’d imagine that a judge would take a dim view of someone that was shown to have acted irresponsibly during a pandemic.

They have to be a suitable person I believe.

Aside from that it would be very easy for the guards to clear that pub every weekend bang on closing time.

And very easy for an EHO to be extremely picky and by the book when doing an inspection.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    I haven’t to be honest, but as we know we’re in different times now, I’d imagine that a judge would take a dim view of someone that was shown to have acted irresponsibly during a pandemic.

They have to be a suitable person I believe.

Aside from that it would be very easy for the guards to clear that pub every weekend bang on closing time.

And very easy for an EHO to be extremely picky and by the book when doing an inspection.

Any rejection of a licence on these grounds would be open to serious legal challenges but re the Gardai, certainly they could if they wished could make life very difficult for any publican but i cant see them being too bothered tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

The Crown in wexford is opening today with no time limit stay as long as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ted1 wrote: »
    Pubs aren’t open, those with restaurant licences are

I thought you had to order a €9 meal to get a drink :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

fawlty682 wrote: »
    We just don’t do rules in Ireland. This dithering about flying abroad is ridiculous too. Safer in Costa del Sol where beaches are monitored and most of ones eating/drinking is Jin the open air, mask wearing in close spaces compulsory than here with our sad attempt at masks etc. Spanish health service far superior too. Change of Government at bad time as Martin/Donnelly terrified to make decisions. Leo was more decisive in fairness to him, if I would not support FG.

Sorry but this is all rubbish and typical "Ireland is rubbish" comment.

We don't do rules but coming out of the lockdown slower than other countries.
    People are seeing social distancing and I see it regularly when I queue up at shops and supermarkets.

Just because the OP allegedly went to a pub (why did they go?) does not mean it's the same everywhere or people are not observing rules.

It's not better abroad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Awful lot of people getting thick or thinking I posted this for a rise or a reaction! Ha.

Yesterday was my first time going out to a bar /restaurant whatever you wanna call it.

We were heading to our local Indian and wanted to have a drink somewhere beforehand, regardless of whether we needed to spend €9 on a 'meal' with our two drinks, we didn't care that we had to.

But yet when we arrived to said place, there were no menus anywhere, no plastic screen things dividing the bar and the customers, no mention of food or a time limit either. And this place is a gastrobar type place

I didn't post it for a rise, it made me laugh actually, Ireland once again trying to make up rules that barely anyone sticks to.

My one question is, while I was sitting there a member of the Gardaí walked in. Clearly saw large groups of people sitting at tables together with all pints on the table no food, not social distancing the tables beside them, and he just walked right out?

No plastic screens on the bar or table service. 2 hrs later passed the place and it was the same.

Yet the Gardaí are meant to be 'checking for compliance' today...

So you're complaining about people breaking the rules by going to a pub yourself and breaking the rules by essentially just going for drinks.

Also, just because you have found one pub does not mean it's like that all over the country.

So why didn't you complain to the bar management or ring the Gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

What do you base that on?

There's a thing called ... A joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

some of the hand wringing on this thread is pathetic, there are some amount of gobsh1tes who lack the ability to think for themselves and just follow what the man on the telly says.
    422 cases with only 12 serious at the moment , bit of a recent jump but to be expected.

The original mantra of "flatten the curve" seems to be forgotten. Now people think if we hide away long enough the virus will just die.

While I think the restrictions are stupid and excessive if we are going to do them lets be consistent and try make some sense.

But we are letting foreigners (like the Iraqi fella who infected 14 people) into the country which will do much more damage than Joe and Padjo shooting the breeze in the boozer. And the foreign holiday crowd too will cause a spike in numbers by September.

But few discuss the logic of the restrictions, the useful idiots only talk about what more self imposed punishment we can inflict on ourselves for sod all benefit - and of course the obligatory curtain twitch (online these days) to moan that others are not like you. HOW DARE THEY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

Is the food meant to be made on site? There are pubs that are getting people to order from the local take away. I heard of one pub that has just put fake menus on the table incase a Guard comes in. I'm not whinging about it btw. But some places were always going to find loopholes or just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Acosta wrote: »
    Is the food meant to be made on site? There are pubs that are getting people to order from the local take away.
    I do not think it has to be made on site, there is no reason for there to be a restriction like that in place, it makes absolutely no difference to the intent of the rule.

A pub near me was getting in deliveries from a pizza place long before covid hit.

If people are eating a full meal, made in the pub or not, and drinking on that full stomach in the time limit then they are unlikely to be carried home like this lad in the UK. Again, this is why a restaurant can get planning permission in areas where a pub would never have a hope.

lawless-brits-feat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Collected the brother from a pub on Friday night. He went in at 6 and didn't leave till 1130pm.
    No food in the pub and the owner just got them to sign the register every hour so they could stay. Pub was packed at 1130 and no social distancing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They wont shut them down again unless the infection rate climbs substantially ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They wont shut them down again unless the infection rate climbs substantially ...

What would you call substantially ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

celt262 wrote: »
    What would you call substantially ?

A noticeable enough increase that it could be put down to pubs reopening. Going to be big implications if pubs shut down again. In terms of welfare to be paid out and many wont survive much longer without a return to some normality...

The vulnerable should just stay away from them. If there is TBA spike in cases in a few weeks, happy days...

I think foreign holidays should be curtailed as a balancing act between reestablishing some normality here and not having to lockdown again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

blade1 wrote: »
    Place I was in the other night were selling pizza's for €9.
    Pubs would be crazy not to do it.
    Some killing to be made.
    And no real cleaning up afterwards.
    Probably about 50 pizzas came out from bar while I was there.

Place I was in was the same (maybe same place), rocked up at the door without booking and the guy said he'd find us a table and just to order a pizza between us and that was that. Zero social distancing at seats/tables also. I had envisioned like every second table being closed off or something. Definitely a lot of rule bending going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look, the purpose of the €9 here was to stop pubs opening as pubs. They wanted to be able to open restaurants. But knowing that there's a blurred line between what's a pub and what's a restaurant, the €9 guideline was there to illustrate that if you're going for peanuts and beer, then it's a pub. If you're going for fish and chips and a pint, it's a restaurant.

It's not really anything to do with having a meal to stop you getting lashed out of it, it's to do with the fact that pubs shouldn't be open yet.

The guidelines also do not require that there is social distancing at a given table, merely between tables. You can go for a meal with any randomer, and there is no social distancing. This doesn't mean that you're magically protected. The purpose of the guidelines are not to protect the individual, they are to protect the country.

If you go out for a meal/pint with someone, you are increasing your risk of contracting covid. But with the guidelines in place, it will be easier to trace the people you've been in contact with and make it less likely that you've spread it. It is not "safe" all of a sudden to go for a meal or a pint. Relatively safer than March/April, but not as safe as it was last year. If you go to a place that's following the rules, then you will find out quicker if you've been at risk of infection. If you go to a street party with no social distancing, you will have no idea whether you've been exposed. And therefore no idea what danger you're posing to others.

I'd say there's going to be a big dose of cop on this week and the pubs paying lip service to the food requirement will be told to shut down or risk losing their licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

seamus wrote: »
    Look, the purpose of the €9 here was to stop pubs opening as pubs. They wanted to be able to open restaurants. But knowing that there's a blurred line between what's a pub and what's a restaurant, the €9 guideline was there to illustrate that if you're going for peanuts and beer, then it's a pub. If you're going for fish and chips and a pint, it's a restaurant.

It's not really anything to do with having a meal to stop you getting lashed out of it, it's to do with the fact that pubs shouldn't be open yet.

The guidelines also do not require that there is social distancing at a given table, merely between tables. You can go for a meal with any randomer, and there is no social distancing. This doesn't mean that you're magically protected. The purpose of the guidelines are not to protect the individual, they are to protect the country.

If you go out for a meal/pint with someone, you are increasing your risk of contracting covid. But with the guidelines in place, it will be easier to trace the people you've been in contact with and make it less likely that you've spread it. It is not "safe" all of a sudden to go for a meal or a pint. Relatively safer than March/April, but not as safe as it was last year. If you go to a place that's following the rules, then you will find out quicker if you've been at risk of infection. If you go to a street party with no social distancing, you will have no idea whether you've been exposed. And therefore no idea what danger you're posing to others.

I'd say there's going to be a big dose of cop on this week and the pubs paying lip service to the food requirement will be told to shut down or risk losing their licence.

Would have been easier to post the "Won't somebody please think of the children" meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am in a little bar/restaurant at coast in cork.
    They aren't ridiculous about the 9 euro thing and rightly so. Lots of spacing.
    Two starters and had two pints of San Miguel.
    Lovely stuff altogether!
    Great to get out of house and not have to cook!
    Hand sanitizer everywhere, staff wearing masks, people booking tables and giving mobile numbers.

Staying in a nice hotel nearby, one way system at check in. Little sterilised packs of cutlery with salt and pepper, hand sanitizer everywhere at lifts, reception etc.
    It's a pain not being able to go out for a drink after dinner without ordering more food though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

You are spot on and all of your points will be ignored by the 'I never knew a €9 meal could cure Covid..hur, hur, hur' brigade.

The post directly below yours being a case in point.

(Some) people are more interested in having a feed of drink than following some pretty basic guidelines.

Either the pubs flouting the current guidelines will be shut this week, or the opening of all pubs on July 20th will be delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

A noticeable enough increase that it could be put down to pubs reopening. Going to be big implications if pubs shut down again. In terms of welfare to be paid out and many wont survive much longer without a return to some normality...

The vulnerable should just stay away from them. If there is TBA spike in cases in a few weeks, happy days...

I think foreign holidays should be curtailed as a balancing act between reestablishing some normality here and not having to lockdown again...

And how do you protect staff from a dangerous contagious virus? No one should be put in an unsafe environment. The guidelines are as much to protect those dealing with you as you yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Who exactly are the "vulnerable"? Seems to be anyone over 50. Also it implies that anyone younger living with parents in that age group are also affecting the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Constant discussion of the pubs today focusing on one street in Dublin, Dame Lane, where there was footage of people drinking on the street. Given that most seemed to be drinking cans, presumably bought in shops?, is this a reason to close all pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm actually amazed people attempted to argue it was anything other than this insanely obvious, logical fact.

Like seriously, the people who suggested it was to stop people getting drunk on an empty stomach, you'd swear pubs had just opened up after another mass-famine event.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The meal rules, which are already in several laws, are exactly there to stop the likelihood of people getting drunk!

You would swear they picked names of types of businesses from hats and said "hard luck pubs you close and restaurants get to open". The reason the pubs were set to open later was because they know fine well people tend to get rip roaring drunk in pubs a lot more than restaurants, inhibitions go down etc. And yes of course we have all seen people drinking a lot in restaurants. Again this is why restaurants are premitted to open in areas where pubs would not.

This is from 1988
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/ga/debates/debate/seanad/1988-05-26/4/
    This is very important, from a health point of view. The more people are encouraged to eat and drink together, the less is the likelihood of people becoming drunk. One of the great problems with drink in the past was that people would start drinking on an empty stomach. There was no food available. Even a few sandwiches would make all the difference. Anything which does that is very welcome.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html
    Children aged between 15 and 17 years may remain on the premises after 9pm where they are attending a private function at which a substantial meal is served. All licensed premises must display a sign to this effect in a prominent place at all times and failure to do so can result in a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Constant discussion of the pubs today focusing on one street in Dublin, Dame Lane, where there was footage of people drinking on the street. Given that most seemed to be drinking cans, presumably bought in shops?, is this a reason to close all pubs?

This is the point I was making the other night. What looks to have happened talking to people who work around there is that people arrived up to the bars without bookings and they were already full. This in turn led to some deciding to get cans and stand on the street in their groups for a few hours.

Not sure the pubs can take the blame for this one to be honest.

The gardai themselves today described it as a public order issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Letterkenny. One bar put out chinese takeaway menus as if that should count. Another had no social distance between tables(all full) and queued 3 deep at the bar. This is all going to lead to bother.

Advertisement