Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I missing something about 'diet' coke?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Fat people drinking duet sodas, found the link:

https://www.self.com/story/4-ways-diet-soda-could-make-you-gain-weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I haven't had a coke all year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I stopped drinking Diet Coke when they reduced the bottle size to 1.75 Litres and switched to Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max as they sell it in two litre bottles.

I wouldn't care if they only sold it in thimbles. My decisions on what I eat and drink are based on taste, not packaging size and/or price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Why do people think they're being healthy drinking a diet coke? I heard Ivan Yates recently talking about how he's given up drink, and how he'd often have a diet coke instead. I didn't think anything of it at first, as it sounds like a normal thing to say.

Eventually though, I realised the irony of it. First of all, sodas aren't very good for you, and secondly, aren't people aware that diet coke is worse than regular coke. It'd be one thing if it were just working class who drank diet cokes, but I often see intelligent people going for them. I just don't understand how people can so easily be the victims of marketing?

Its people like yourself who stereotype working class people like myself who aren't intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Its people like yourself who stereotype working class people like myself who aren't intelligent.
    That could be have two meanings. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm sure you will continue to err.

And on the "save" side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Because aspartame is bigger poison than sugar.

Neither are poisons. THe aspartame thing is mostly urban myth.There is very little evidence.

It does contribute to putting on weight however as you continue to crave sweet foods but it is not a poison

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Hang on Now

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Its people like yourself who stereotype working class people like myself as not being intelligent.
    Technically I'm working class too. So if you don't fit the stereotype of a working class, then don't take too much offence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

kneemos wrote: »
    If working class people were intelligent they wouldn't be working class.

QED.

If they were intelligent they'd call themselves middle class and viciously belittle anyone even a millimetre lower than themselves on the social scale in order to validate their superiority.

• Advertisement

I generally prefer drinking loads of water, but pepsi max and diet coke are lovely. I never liked the full sugar ones, always found them too sickly sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Some things are too good to be true kid!

Oh right. Great explanation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And on the "save" side too.

It must be a middle, or upper, class intelligent use of the word that we mere mortals don't comprehend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

A thread implying working class people aren't intelligent from someone who tried (but failed) to cheat his way through university exams, and posted about it on a public forum. I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bluewolf wrote:
    I generally prefer drinking loads of water, but pepsi max and diet coke are lovely. I never liked the full sugar ones, always found them too sickly sweet

I too prefer the taste of those as well as wanting to cut down the option of getting diabetes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A 500ml bottle of coke has about 10 sugar cubes in it. I cannot justify consuming that. Rule number 3 of how not to be fat: don't drink your calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    You can never have enough coke to drink. If 'diet' or zero is all that's available then it does fine.

Not really because.......Pepsi Max is the best option of all :)
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Pepsi Max is where it's at. 2 litres a day.

Preach brother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I just want to note how happy I am at finding out that I'm intelligent because I don't drink any of them. HUZZAH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"and after the break we'll be discussing the death of the founder member and lead singer of acdc, Malcolm young"

Well done ivan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I just opt for it or Pepsi Max on the rare occasion I fancy a soft drink because I just don't like the taste of the full sugar versions. Nothing to do with health or diet reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I sure as hell don't drink diet Coke to be healthy. I never drink fizzy drinks and on rare occasion will have a diet Coke with my meal if we're out. I just prefer the taste. I'm not keen on full Coke. But I'm under no illusion to it being the healthy option.

Agreed. I just much prefer the taste of diet coke. I can taste the vegetable extract strongly in real coke and it's very off-putting

I was thinking this might be worth discussing but the "working class" being portrayed as the antithesis of "intelligent people" told me what I was dealing with.

Unfortunately Emilee Lemon Bath this attitude stems from our political leaders who try to brainwash the public with propaganda that people who are against their policies which are designed to ultimately make the rich even wealthier are some sort of thick, uneducated, anti-social scroungers.

Ironically, its the people who swallow this waffle that are left looking rather dim.

Unfortunately Srameen this attitude stems from our political leaders who try to brainwash the public with propaganda that people who are against their policies which are designed to ultimately make the rich even wealthier are some sort of thick, uneducated, anti-social scroungers.

Ironically, its the people who swallow this waffle that are left looking rather dim.

Sorry, I can't even remotely concur with that, but I'll not go off topic on that issue,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I went to the US and couldn't touch their version of regular Coke. It tastes awful with high fructose corn syrup.

Then I came back here and found normal coke sicklu sweet too.

So no I don't drink either.

Just have a coffee if you're after caffeine and otherwise - water is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Sugar bad, no sugar less bad. Simples.

Unfortunately metabolism isn't simples. If something tastes sweet it will likely lead to a spike in insulin. This leads to pathways being activated which store carbs as fat. It's not just the molecule i.e glucose which leads to fat storage, it's the signals, i.e insulin or glucagon that affect change in our BMI. Below is an article that demonstrates that artificial sweetners lead to insulin increases.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php

Sorry, I can't even remotely concur with that, but I'll not go off topic on that issue,

You can't have escaped the fact some people think class correlates with intelligence?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You can't have escaped the fact some people think class correlates with intelligence?

I'm not trying to in the slightest. But that's not the point I was replying to.

I'm not trying too in the slightest. But that's not the point I was replying to.

Ah apologies S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People drink it because it has no sugar, therefore doesn't make you as fat as full sugar coke. People drink it much more so for this reason than any genuine 'health 'reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

sugarman wrote: »
    Its a funny one, in that most of time and most of the people that find issue with soft drinks have no bother putting away several pints on any weekend.

Moderation with everything is key.

Your username indicates that you have a conflict of interest in the great diet soda debate, and are therefore denied the right to an opinion.

• Advertisement

Hate the taste of drinks containing artificial sweeteners and/or stevia and I hate the way they just aren't anywhere close to as satisfying as drinks containing only sugar as a sweetener. Club rock shandy, fanta orange, club lemon, 7-up, sprite and other drinks have had their taste ruined recently when the formulas have been changed. I wish the drinks producers could just keep the drinks as they were. It's not as if there aren't enough low-calorie versions of each drink to begin with - in fact, most of the time when a new drink comes on the market it is a low-calorie drink. The only fizzy drinks I really drink now are pepsi and club orange. I only drink them occasionally but it's annoying to see that the tide is turning so that foods which previously existed to be considered as satisfying treats are being radically changed to make them healthier, less sugary and less satisfying - makes them kind of pointless.

The same thing is happening to junk cereals that I would have thought everybody knew were not good for you and not to be overconsumed but existed to be eaten as a treat.

"and after the break we'll be discussing the death of the founder member and lead singer of acdc, Malcolm young"

Well done ivan
    I dnt get it?

A thread implying working class people aren't intelligent from someone who tried (but failed) to cheat his way through university exams, and posted about it on a public forum. I love it.
    Hey I'm not saying it was my best moment. And it wasn't like I posted it on facebook.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think it correlates better with ignorance!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Too much sugar in regular coke. A lot of the time I feel terrible after a full coke, so I prefer Coke Zero

Do you feel a little less terrible after a coke zero?
    Why drink it at all!
    After drinking water you feel great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Allinall

17larsson wrote: »
    Do you feel a little less terrible after a coke zero?
    Why drink it at all!
    After drinking water you feel great

How do you know how the poster feels after drinking water?

What's with the "why drink it at all?"

Why not drink whatever you want?

And if Coke Zero feels better than regular coke .... go for it.

Allinall wrote: »
    How do you know how the poster feels after drinking water?
    I LOVE water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They're all bad for you so I drink regular Coke. Diet Coke is horrible. The worst of them all is Coke Zero. It tastes like a melted cola Mr. Freeze mixed with water.

• Advertisement

Water is what we are "meant to" drink though! I think a good trade-off is to drink water maybe 95% of the time and an occasional full sugar drink if you so wish the other 5% of the time. Sugary drinks shouldn't *actually* be drank to quench thirst, instead they should function simply for a treat. I am aware that for most of history dilute sugar solutions were not part of people's diets so I wouldnt want to drink too much of them, but I am willing to drink them in small amounts as I believe the trade-off of enjoyment to potential bad effects makes it worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm a Coke fiend (cans please, not a fan of 500ml bottles, they're too fizzy) but there's no doubting water is infinitely better for you.

Bit of barley water flavouring, or whatever Miwadi you have lying around, and it's less ****ty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I wouldn't care if they only sold it in thimbles. My decisions on what I eat and drink are based on taste, not packaging size and/or price.

Yeah and Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max tastes nicer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Diet coke is my soft drink of choice. I drink it fairly rarely though. Anyone going around drinking large bottles of fizzy soft drinks everyday is going to be overweight regardless of whether it's the diet or full sugar version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lucoxade is unrecognisable these days its changed so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Companies would sell anything, and there will always be people that would buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I used to drink full sugar coke in my late teens when I was my heaviest weight. I switched to diet and lost a couple of stone and I drink diet ever since. I actually find full sugar coke too sweet for me now. I am still overweight so you'll find me being the classic fat girl with a McDonald's and diet coke but if that shaves 200 calories off my meal then why not. I don't drink it to be healthy, I drink it because it doesn't have as many calories, same reason why I put sweetener in my tea instead of sugar. I like three sweeteners per cup and you're looking at about 60 cals that I cut out per drink per day plus I used to drink 3l of diet coke a day (bad addiction to it) so can you imagine the extra calorie/sugar intake if I hadn't switched to diet? I'm still fat but 12 kilos less fat, I'll take that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

sugarman wrote: »
    They're to reduce the bottles to 1.5L and 400ml when the sugar tax is introduced.
    Knew about the first, not the latter. Cheeky feckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I find it funny how angry people get about this. As if people drinking diet drinks are judging them or something.

There are 210kcal in a 500ml coke. About the same in most 500ml full-sugar soft drinks. Realistically that's a big chunk of change - if you have two of them a day, that's more than a fifth of your caloric intake taken in liquid form. You won't feel full afterwards and you'll probably drink it in less than five minutes. Over weeks and months, it's going to make you fat.

So someone orders a pizza and a diet drink, that's still 200kcal less than a pizza and a non-diet drink. At least the pizza is filling and nutritious, even if it is calorific.

I personally prefer Pepsi max over any of the others. Diet Coke/Coke Zero (it's the same drink in a different label!) if I can't get Pepsi. Full Coke/Pepsi is just waaay to sweet and sticky for my liking, I haven't had it in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Diet Coke is not the same as Coke Zero.

• Advertisement
Advertisement