Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I missing something about 'diet' coke?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Saddest thing are those kind of half spastic obese people knocking back the diet version thinking there the healthiest clowns in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

But the thing is, that it's 'slightly' worse!

Why is it worse if it has no sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

Because aspartame is bigger poison than sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The artificial sweetener, Aspertane, is in all those diet drinks and it's linked to diseases like MS.
    Aspartane is ok.
    Aspartame is different.
    "Specifically, the hoax websites allege that aspartame is responsible for multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, and methanol toxicity, causing "blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects" and death." Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

*Citation needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why do people think they're being healthy drinking a diet coke? I heard Ivan Yates recently talking about how he's given up drink, and how he'd often have a diet coke instead. I didn't think anything of it at first, as it sounds like a normal thing to say.

Eventually though, I realised the irony of it. First of all, sodas aren't very good for you, and secondly, aren't people aware that diet coke is worse than regular coke. It'd be one thing if it were just working class who drank diet cokes, but I often see intelligent people going for them. I just don't understand how people can so easily be the victims of marketing?

wut?

The evidence implies that artificial sweeteners in Diet Coke are linked with low IQ, obesity, involuntary hand movements in the presence of attractive women, an inability to see reason, an urge to worsen inequities, compulsive catchphrase repetition, issues with hair and skin coloring, and constant tv watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

It's the drink of lower class fat wans waddling about in their pyjamas

The artificial sweetener, Aspertane, is in all those diet drinks and it's linked to diseases like MS.
    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/What-is-MS/What-Causes-MS/Disproved-theories
    The link is they checked it and found there is no link.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    It's the drink of lower class fat wans waddling about in their pyjamas

are they known for heading out to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Eat healthy..
    Doner Kebad, Chips and A Diet Coke, shure you'll be grand :rolleyes: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Donald Rumsfeld was involved in its creation. Enough said..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Hang on Now

Its much healther then an alcholic drink.

No its not water but much better then a normal coke. Artifical sweetner is largly unproven as a poison that the urban myths promote.

Where do you get the idea that working class people are not intelligent. Stupid post
    More working class smoke. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm sure I read in AH recently someone saying that they have never seen a thin person drinking diet coke.

I think they were right.

Some things are too good to be true kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A bit of an internet myth there.And it was that Aspartame caused MS-like symptoms.
    Magnuson BA; Burdock GA; Doull J; et al. (2007) in "Aspartame: a safety evaluation based on current use levels, regulations, and toxicological and epidemiological studies" state...
    Numerous allegations have been made via the Internet and in consumer magazines purporting neurotoxic effects of aspartame leading to neurological or psychiatric symptoms including seizures, headaches, and mood changes....Review of the biochemistry of aspartame has found no evidence that the doses consumed would plausibly lead to neurotoxic effects.

Several comprehensive reviews have failed to find any evidence for aspartame as a cause of any neurological symptoms.

sugarman wrote: »
    ARE YOU MAD??? WITH ALL THAT FLUORIDE??? :pac:
    He/she didn't say tap water!

A bit of an internet myth there.And it was that Aspartame caused MS-like symptoms.
    Magnuson BA; Burdock GA; Doull J; et al. (2007) in "Aspartame: a safety evaluation based on current use levels, regulations, and toxicological and epidemiological studies" state...

Several comprehensive reviews have failed to find any evidence for aspartame as a cause of any neurological symptoms.
    Ah well, I'll continue to err on the safe side!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I sure as hell don't drink diet Coke to be healthy. I never drink fizzy drinks and on rare occasion will have a diet Coke with my meal if we're out. I just prefer the taste. I'm not keen on full Coke. But I'm under no illusion to it being the healthy option.

You're just weird... :p;)

on topic:
    It has been suggested that drinking something artificially sweet your body releases insulin. Since you didn't ingest any sugar, you have a sugar crash and get hungry and need to eat.
    You will notice that mostly fat people drink diet sodas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ah well, I'll continue to err on the save side!

I'm sure you will continue to err.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Fat people drinking duet sodas, found the link:

https://www.self.com/story/4-ways-diet-soda-could-make-you-gain-weight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I haven't had a coke all year

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I stopped drinking Diet Coke when they reduced the bottle size to 1.75 Litres and switched to Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max as they sell it in two litre bottles.

I wouldn't care if they only sold it in thimbles. My decisions on what I eat and drink are based on taste, not packaging size and/or price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Why do people think they're being healthy drinking a diet coke? I heard Ivan Yates recently talking about how he's given up drink, and how he'd often have a diet coke instead. I didn't think anything of it at first, as it sounds like a normal thing to say.

Eventually though, I realised the irony of it. First of all, sodas aren't very good for you, and secondly, aren't people aware that diet coke is worse than regular coke. It'd be one thing if it were just working class who drank diet cokes, but I often see intelligent people going for them. I just don't understand how people can so easily be the victims of marketing?

Its people like yourself who stereotype working class people like myself who aren't intelligent.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Its people like yourself who stereotype working class people like myself who aren't intelligent.
    That could be have two meanings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm sure you will continue to err.

And on the "save" side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Neither are poisons. THe aspartame thing is mostly urban myth.There is very little evidence.

It does contribute to putting on weight however as you continue to crave sweet foods but it is not a poison

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Its people like yourself who stereotype working class people like myself as not being intelligent.
    Technically I'm working class too. So if you don't fit the stereotype of a working class, then don't take too much offence!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

kneemos wrote: »
    If working class people were intelligent they wouldn't be working class.

QED.

If they were intelligent they'd call themselves middle class and viciously belittle anyone even a millimetre lower than themselves on the social scale in order to validate their superiority.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I generally prefer drinking loads of water, but pepsi max and diet coke are lovely. I never liked the full sugar ones, always found them too sickly sweet

Advertisement