Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I missing something about 'diet' coke?

Options
  • 17-12-2017 5:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭

Why do people think they're being healthy drinking a diet coke? I heard Ivan Yates recently talking about how he's given up drink, and how he'd often have a diet coke instead. I didn't think anything of it at first, as it sounds like a normal thing to say.

Eventually though, I realised the irony of it. First of all, sodas aren't very good for you, and secondly, aren't people aware that diet coke is worse than regular coke. It'd be one thing if it were just working class who drank diet cokes, but I often see intelligent people going for them too. I just don't understand how people can so easily be the victims of marketing?

EDIT: Due to an onslaught of comments about what I said towards the working class; my justification lies as follows:

It's mostly the working class that thought water (in this country) was free! Case closed.

And just to tackle back chat from another user:
    Ironically, it's the people who swallow this waffle that are left looking rather dim.
    Ironically it was the working class that swallowed the waffle of Michael Martin about water being free. The subsequent years of deliberation within the Dail can only have cost the country € billions. All thanks to the ignorance of the working class.
    This attitude stems from our political leaders who try to brainwash the public with propaganda that people who are against their policies which are designed to ultimately make the rich even wealthier, are some sort of thick, uneducated, anti-social scroungers.
    No, that's not how I arrived at my conclusion. I take one look at working class folk, smoking and drinking, and it's quite obvious. Secondly, I'm actually implying that there more ignorant, as opposed to un-intelligent.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'd rather have a normal soft drink with all the diabetes inducing levels of sugar than a horrible diet drink with those awful artificial sweeteners.

I'd have a sparkling water instead ideally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Sugar bad, no sugar less bad. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Too much sugar in regular coke. A lot of the time I feel terrible after a full coke, so I prefer Coke Zero

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Hang on Now

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Sugar bad, no sugar less bad. Simples.
    Well I guess that's all there is to it. I never liked Ivan Yates anyway. He's too PC, and seems to be kind of a feminist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I was thinking this might be worth discussing but the "working class" being portrayed as the antithesis of "intelligent people" told me what I was dealing with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

"It'd be one thing if it were just working class who drank diet cokes, but I often see intelligent people going for them"

Are you implying that there are no intelligent working class people?

I was thinking this might be worth discussing but the "working class" being portrayed as the antithesis of "intelligent people" told me what I was dealing with.
    a new word for me there!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,320 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think anybody really believes that diet coke is good for them/healthy. They might see it as slightly better than than the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

go on take the bait did you come down in the last shower

I don't really know what we're talking about, but I knew it was the feminists fault all along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

a new word for me there!

Oh, I'm convinced the English language is resplendent with words that would be new to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You can never have enough coke to drink. If 'diet' or zero is all that's available then it does fine.

Candie wrote: »
    I don't really know what we're talking about, but I knew it was the feminists fault all along.
    Well this effects both genders.

They might see it as slightly better than than the alternatives.
    But the thing is, that it's 'slightly' worse!

I want them to put more sugar in normal coke..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Coke Zero is where its at, never mind that frothy stuff.

sugarman wrote: »
    Its a funny one, in that most of time and most of the people that find issue with soft drinks have no bother putting away several pints on any weekend.
    And probably vis versa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its much healther then an alcholic drink.

No its not water but much better then a normal coke. Artifical sweetner is largly unproven as a poison that the urban myths promote.

Where do you get the idea that working class people are not intelligent. Stupid post

• Registered Users Posts: 21,164 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump has tested it and having 12 cans of diet coke a day is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

No its not water but much better then a normal coke. Artifical sweetner is largly unproven as a poison that the urban myths promote.

Where do you get the idea that working class people are not intelligent. Stupid post

Artificial sweeteners taste awful.
    If you really want a healthy drink, have water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

But the thing is, that it's 'slightly' worse!

There is some conjecture that they may be "no better" than full sugared variations. They are definitely not worse and being just as bad is itself debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BeerFarts

Is diet coke the new sitting down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I sure as hell don't drink diet Coke to be healthy. I never drink fizzy drinks and on rare occasion will have a diet Coke with my meal if we're out. I just prefer the taste. I'm not keen on full Coke. But I'm under no illusion to it being the healthy option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The artificial sweetener, Aspertane, is in all those diet drinks and it's linked to diseases like MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't want you to be no slave..
    I don't want you to work all day..

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I stopped drinking Diet Coke when they reduced the bottle size to 1.75 Litres and switched to Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max as they sell it in two litre bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If working class people were intelligent they wouldn't be working class.

QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

I sure as hell don't drink diet Coke to be healthy. I never drink fizzy drinks and on rare occasion will have a diet Coke with my meal if we're out. I just prefer the taste. I'm not keen on full Coke. But I'm under no illusion to it being the healthy option.

Exactly this😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

sugarman wrote: »
    Its a funny one, in that most of time and most of the people that find issue with soft drinks have no bother putting away several pints on any weekend.

Moderation with everything is key.

Hmm no Bias in that username :P

Ah I'm one of those recently stopped drinking minerals, unless on a night out with beers and spirits and all those goodies. Not that I think beer is better than coke but rather I was finding myself drinking minerals everyday where as now its on a treat night. But I'm a barman so not the weekend :D

Advertisement