Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

As long as there is enough rain to allow the river levels to be at where they can be kayaked well - specifically Curragower wave and the Clare Glens; and as long as the nights can be clear and steady enough to allow my stargazing to happen often enough, I really don't mind what the weather holds. I think I'd like some crispy cold spells and go mountain biking on the frosty trails, and a day or two of decent blowy storm. As long as we don't get month after month of light drizzly grey dank rotting weather I really don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Weathering wrote: »
    Snow and storms please. As long as it isn't bland and dreary for weeks and weeks on end which has happened a lot with me over the last few Winters. As long as its interesting and action packed I'm happy.

I can already smell the fear,tantrums,arguments and the good old disappointment of the upcoming Irish Winter not to mention the sleepless nights,waiting on the next model run and the one after etc etc. And how could I forget the infamous lampost. It's a vicious cycle/mentally and physical draining but we wouldn't have it any other way...

The lamppost watching is truly awful stuff. Unless its absolutely guaranteed to snow heavily (unlikely down here in Cork :D), I'm not going to bother with lamppost watching this winter, I'll just wait and see what's there in the morning. I spent hours last winter endlessly refreshing the Met Eireann radar and peeping out the window to see if any stray flakes were falling, total time wasting, often only getting to see the odd snizzle shower (a term which I think was coined last winter!)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

....the odd snizzle shower (a term which I think was coined last winter!)

Snizzle has always been. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Snizzle has always been. :)

Snizzle is the worst, it teases you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Its going to be a cold and snowy winter with no influence from the atlantic this time:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Bejubby wrote: »
    Its going to be a cold and snowy winter with no influence from the atlantic this time:)

we can only hope:)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

UK Weather Forecast Winter Outlook - Kris Surtees
    At this stage, we are only able to offer our very preliminary thoughts on the upcoming winter. We should be able to provide you with our more in depth preliminary winter forecast during the Autumn, before releasing the final forecast some time in November.

At present, our expectations are of a cooler than average winter, carrying on the trend from the last few winters, with snowfall likely to be more frequent than was the case during the milder winters of the 90′s/00′s. December currently looks like it will finish slightly above average temperature wise, though rather unsettled conditions are likely to dominate.

January and February, as things stand, look likely to finish below average temperature wise, with some frequent colder spells particularly during February.

These very early indications are based upon the analogues used in our Summer 2013 forecast, and as such are very open to change. The biggest wildcard for the current forecast has been the recent uptick in solar activity, along with an unpredictable QBO state heading into the winter. Most of our clues for the winter tend to come through the month of October. We will update this page as and when we are able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Winter will probably start off where it stopped in March. Below average temperatures with a lot of snow. November and December will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Greenland is currently very cold by August standards with some stations running -10c below average. Looks like the cold is building early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Danno wrote: »
    Greenland is currently very cold by August standards with some stations running -10c below average. Looks like the cold is building early.

can you share your source please? I checked this myself few days ago, and few stations I checked reported temperatures close to average high for given day. Double checked just now - same story. Can I no longer trust wunderground.com?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Allanjjmurphy

Umm, I loved this year, great weather. Now, let winter be a real snowy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Allanjjmurphy

Bring it on.. That's a perfect weather pattern..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Danno wrote: »

Looking at the ice melt around the north pole and it looks like it won't be as bad at last year.
    Winter will probably start off where it stopped in March. Below average temperatures with a lot of snow. November and December will be interesting.

Hopefully with a bit more snow that will stick. I got a decent snowfall but it didn't stick at all. I hope this year is different.

Yeah, no lying snow really was a disappointment, onward and upward lads !

Snow beers WILL be had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Yeah, no lying snow really was a disappointment, onward and upward lads !

Snow beers WILL be had

o8ii4.jpg

https://twitter.com/MattHugo81/statuses/369796589289619457
    Recent CFSv2 keeping some consistency as well over a possible Greenland high/northern blocking pattern for the winter http://pic.twitter.com/biZRkYh3tO

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Nice to look at these things if they are showing you something you want to see but in reality they are likely less successful than climatology.

Yeah I know that it will definitely change, but it's good to dream of that white winter :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

I don't think I've ever seen a "prediction" for a mild winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

shootie wrote: »

True, I've seen about 3 'forecasts' already, and every single one of them is talking about 'colder than average' again...it's click bait I'm sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yup, even MTC biases his reports towards 'colder than average', mainly because if he says it's going to be a mild winter he'll be lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm calling a wet and windy winter. 2 reasons. Firstly we haven't had one for many years - the last decent windstorm was back in 2009 and even that was a very brief one, so like this good summer, it is long overdue. Secondly I've noticed the ESB has let the level of the resevoir here drop to very low levels which suggests they expect alot of rain over the next few months. In contrast prior to the hot dry June/July it was filled to the top.

As long as winter is not mild, and dry I don't care. Give me anything people will hate and I'll love it. Extreme cold, gales, storms, snow. Just not a ****ing mild one that's for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I'm calling a wet and windy winter. 2 reasons. Firstly we haven't had one for many years - the last decent windstorm was back in 2009 and even that was a very brief one, so like this good summer, it is long overdue. Secondly I've noticed the ESB has let the level of the resevoir here drop to very low levels which suggests they expect alot of rain over the next few months. In contrast prior to the hot dry June/July it was filled to the top.

Just wondering what secret info you think the ESB are privvy to?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Hint to what is happening is in the last line " hot dry June/July" no rain to keep it topped up while water is still being released to keep the generators turning.
    Think the levels are more indication of what has been, rather than what is to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

shootie wrote: »

Because we are all rational folk and know that a mild Winter is impossible in Ireland..Silly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

odyboody wrote: »
    Hint to what is happening is in the last line " hot dry June/July" no rain to keep it topped up while water is still being released to keep the generators turning.
    Think the levels are more indication of what has been, rather than what is to come

The drop in water levels was very sudden at the start of August, just as the dry/hotspell came to an end. That was obviously done via the sluice gates at Poulaphuca. I'm pretty sure that the ESB has access to long range forecasts like many other weather dependent major utilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's hard not to get a little hyped looking at Christmas 2013 on the CFS from 12Z yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Best bet to look at the mean of the last 30 CFS outputs, if that gives us a negative signal then at least something tangible to grab hold of.

• Advertisement

It's hard not to get a little hyped looking at Christmas 2013 on the CFS from 12Z yesterday.

Ha, you glued to the CFS too ? :D

Jaysus I just want the winter now at this stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement