Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hole in the Wall Gang ??

• 10-04-2019 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Who's carrying out all those atm smash n'grabs in the north?? or is that a silly question..as its obvious?
    Since December, thieves have stolen 11 cash machines from businesses in Northern Ireland and in counties Monaghan and Cavan.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0409/1041520-atm-robberies/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

fryup wrote: »
    Who's carrying out all those atm smash n'grabs in the north?? or is that a silly question..as its obvious?

"They haven't gone away you know".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,479 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps the builders leaving the plant machinery unsecured near the location of each ATM should be the first suspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Some neck in fairness. Steal a digger,and a low loader,and probably a Jeep and trailer for each job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

It has been going in for years in border counties. Why can't the banks increase security or fit dye packs that destroy the cash. The cost of doing that must exceed what is stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

e7kznPU.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

zapitastas wrote: »
    It has been going in for years in border counties. Why can't the banks increase security or fit dye packs that destroy the cash. The cost of doing that must exceed what is stolen

Doesn't cost much. The cash is insured so they don't bother. When they are installed they come with standard cassettes with no locks or dye packs and they never get changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Jet Black wrote: »
    Doesn't cost much. The cash is insured so they don't bother. When they are installed they come with standard cassettes with no locks or dye packs and they never get changed.

There's something illogical about insuring money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Already fitted, but the boobytrap system on them is far from fool proof, and can be easily, very easily bypassed - and don't ask me how I know that, I just do, right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Tiocfaidh ár digger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Can't tell, they were wearing balaclavas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I'll go to another one so.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Why not just withdraw use of the A.T.M.s for a few months. Let the innocent suffer as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It has been going on for years in border counties. Why can't the banks increase security or fit dye packs that destroy the cash. The cost of doing that must exceed what is stolen

the price of peace?

turn a blind eye let them do what they want...don't rock the boat??

is that the way it is on the border ?

Edgware wrote: »
    Why not just withdraw use of the A.T.M.s for a few months. Let the innocent suffer as usual

Ala M.U.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Fair play to them, if we had any heart we'd all be out stealing for a living, everyone else does it .

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

^^^^^

I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I believe the term is "Good Republicans"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

as long as they don't kill people?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Why on earth is there not simple tracking devices embedded in all these ATMs? Even cheap smartphones can be tracked.

It would at least make the raiders think twice if they thought they could be tracked.

We are talking keystone cops at this stage, the fact the PSNI hasn't managed to recover any of the ATMs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

well we are talking about the same country that let the provos stroll away with 10 million..remember the northern bank years back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I dunno why ATMs are not installed with a few "feck you" sized bollards planted in concrete in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Why on earth is there not simple tracking devices embedded in all these ATMs? Even cheap smartphones can be tracked. .

Wrap your smartphone in a few layers of aluminium foil and see how well you can track it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,836 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If we were in the early 2010's now they'd work this into a story for Love/Hate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,192 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My hats off to them true artists...

Hate being stuck in a queue for the ATM. :mad:

Diggers.jpg

Anyone else suspect a link between all these bits of plant machinery being left within easy distance of an ATM machine and those who are robbing same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Possibly but if you were to look around any town you would likely find a digger within 5 mins drive of any atm.
    Older diggers were not too fussy re keys either.
    You would imagine police would have to have some intelligence on this at this stage though so tha that is where my questions would be focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

These boyos will have the old school banks with the actual human being bank tellers behind the desks back in no time at all at all

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Why can't the banks increase security or fit dye packs that destroy the cash.

Someone mentioned that they freeze the whole unit to render the dye packs useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Probably some loyalist gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

mickdw wrote: »

They're easy to hot wire anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

touts wrote:
    "They haven't gone away you know".

PSNI have said dissident IRA not involved-but sure don't concern yourself with the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mickdw wrote: »

They're easy to hot wire anyway.

Yes. Some of the newer stuff not so easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think given the level of sophistication and the specific manpower requirements for carrying out these crimes.... it is obvious to me that the perpetrators are always either one step ahead or one step behind the efforts of both the Gardaí and the PSNI.

With this in mind, it is highly likely that the gang are in fact a team of Time Travellers... from in this instance I feel the past. It would easily explain how they have managed to vanish without a trace in each instance. Time travellers are well renowned for their distinct ability to leave the actual time-zone they are in, to enable them to avoid detection.

Given the current rates of inflation it is highly unlikely that they would get the correct spending power out of the stolen money in the future. However by bringing the stolen cash back 10 or 15 years they could be getting a lot more bang for their buck.

• Advertisement

So they've struck again...they're brazen whoever they are....so that what..nine atm's so far..and whats the average an atm would hold..10k? so thats 90k?

surely its only a matter of before they slip up

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I reckon ATMs may become extinct in the near future, because the same card that you use to withdraw cash can be used for cashless transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

I reckon ATMs may become extinct in the near future, because the same card that you use to withdraw cash can be used for cashless transactions.

Get in on the action before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

can they not attach an alarm system to these ATM's so when their attacked a signal will go to a security centre? signalling where it is located and then call the nearest police station??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

frosty123 wrote: »
    can they not attach an alarm system to these ATM's so when their attacked a signal will go to a security centre? signalling where it is located and then call the nearest police station??
    They probably do, but sure the thing is out of the wall and on the back of the flatbed in 60 seconds, then gone. Lads in the back throw a big tarp over it, doesn't look like an ATM.

They could park it up in a yard literally around the corner without suspicion and wait for the cops to leave. Not sure about tracking devices, they probably don't have them installed. But they're easily jammed anyway.

I wasn't really getting why the media in the Republic were getting so obsessed about ATM robberies up north, but I guess if it's paramilitary stuff then that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

They wont. There is still huge investment from banks and from private companies in them.

Internet banking (not mobile app banking) will become extinct next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    They wont. There is still huge investment from banks and from private companies in them.
    We'll start seeing ATM charges being brought in, which will kill their usage stone dead.

We actually have a very high uptake of payment terminals in Ireland. Very rare to encounter even a tiny business that doesn't have one. Petrol stations and shops like having ATMs so people can take out cash to pay, but since it's basically impossible to get a bank card that doesn't have a chip, these are becoming more and more irrelevant.
    Internet banking (not mobile app banking) will become extinct next.

-_-

....but....they're the same thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Any sign of the gang getting caught yet? They have done a lot of these robberies on both sides of the border by now. Probably the police are too afraid to go near them. You would think in this day and age technology could solve it.

janfebmar wrote: »
    You would think in this day and age technology could solve it.

i would have thought so too in this age of CCTV, tracking devices etc

Would it be that difficult to put a motion sensor that activates the die into the machines? You open the door to fill machine putting in code to deactivate sensor. Fill machine up and then code in to activate again.

When a digger drags the atm it would activate the die.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

they have it built in those cash cases those delivery transit drivers use, so why not atm's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Two machines ripped from different banks in Kells last night. Happy Easter indeed !.

Edit : two th the north also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭septictank

Two machines ripped from different banks in Kells last night. Happy Easter indeed !.

2, and I'll raise you another 2.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0419/1043533-atm-kells/

You'd nearly think the "Lads" were putting together a fighting fund for events further down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

septictank wrote: »
    2, and I'll raise you another 2.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0419/1043533-atm-kells/

You'd nearly think the "Lads" were putting together a fighting fund for events further down the road.

That is why it is important to catch them. Thete was poor woman shot in Derry last night too you know.

I think it's the banks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement