Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - Round 2 – Bahrain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Grosjean gets a three place grid penalty. He qualified 8th before the penalty, but will start in 11th now.
    I'm never seen f1 braking capability so clearly demonstrated as when Lando came up behind the crawling Grosjean. The speed differential was huge and he almost instantly got it down. Grosjean planting the accelerator helped too but its stunning on-board footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Jordan 199 wrote:
    Grosjean gets a three place grid penalty. He qualified 8th before the penalty, but will start in 11th now.

Harsh. There was no real danger of a collision. Magnussen constantly gets away with what appear to be deliberate blocking manouvres.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

chicorytip wrote: »
    Harsh. There was no real danger of a collision. Magnussen constantly gets away with what appear to be deliberate blocking manouvres.

It wasn’t harsh, Grosjean was parked on the racing line on an out lap. Norris was coming at full racing speed on a flying lap. It was dangerous and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kvyat was accidentally sent out on worn tyres for his final Q2 run.

Thats hilariously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

skipper_G wrote:
    It wasn’t harsh, Grosjean was parked on the racing line on an out lap. Norris was coming at full racing speed on a flying lap. It was dangerous and unnecessary.

Norris is blaming Vettel for the whole thing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

mickdw wrote: »
    I'm never seen f1 braking capability so clearly demonstrated as when Lando came up behind the crawling Grosjean. The speed differential was huge and he almost instantly got it down. Grosjean planting the accelerator helped too but its stunning on-board footage.

It was unbelievable. First time I've properly seen speed/braking show up on the TV. His speed catching up was crazy and his ability to come to a stop (without locking up!) was even more phenomenal!

Joeface wrote: »
    Norris is blaming Vettel for the whole thing .

I read that, Vettel passed Grosjean into the final corner which is against driver etiquette. Grosjean felt he had to back off completely to have space for his flying lap, but it's still his responsibility to do so safely. The team didn't tell him Norris was approaching, they are partly accountable as well. The speed differential was 136 km/hr, the potential for a serious incident was there. Sky made the point that Haas are the only team on the grid who don't inform their drivers of such traffic, that means either Haas are doing something wrong or 90% of the teams are.

Someone updated the qualifying picture to include Williams. As brutal as expected

DGLtkxE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

pjohnson wrote: »
    Someone updated the qualifying picture to include Williams. As brutal as expected

That's unreal. With a PU that'll be in title contention, it's a shocking indicator of their chassis/aero failures. Claire was on C4 yesterday evening being interviewed, and while she was happy to hold her hand up and admit fault, she made the point that the current trend of inter-team 'collaboration', ie, unofficial b-teams, isn't helping their case. I felt it was hard to disagree with her, but that diagram shows just how far off they are, regardless of whatever else is going on.

Inviere wrote: »
    That's unreal. With a PU that'll be in title contention, it's a shocking indicator of their chassis/aero failures. Claire was on C4 yesterday evening being interviewed, and while she was happy to hold her hand up and admit fault, she made the point that the current trend of inter-team 'collaboration', ie, unofficial b-teams, isn't helping their case. I felt it was hard to disagree with her, but that diagram shows just how far off they are, regardless of whatever else is going on.

It must surely be one of, if not the worst built cars in the 21st century. Given the fact he has such a strong PU to still be this slow. The likes of Minardi/Virgin/Hispania/Caterham were generally using Cosworth engines which was never gunna have enough power. To drag the Merc engine that far back is almost impressive.

• Advertisement

Conversely, I'm quite impressed with McLaren (never thought I'd be saying that any time soon!). They outperformed their works team PU supplier, meaning the chassis/aero design hasn't gone full Williams.

Also hugely impressed with Le Clerc, not just because of how fast he was, but how he spoke after getting pole. One thing that used to annoy me about Vettel in his Red Bull days, was that he'd celebrate every pole like he'd just won a championship. Here's Charles, his first ever pole in F1, and he was already talking about the race. He seems so cool and collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Thats handy its live on sky one, wont have to wait til tonight on ch4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Inviere wrote:
    Also hugely impressed with Le Clerc, not just because of how fast he was, but how he spoke after getting pole. One thing that used to annoy me about Vettel in his Red Bull days, was that he'd celebrate every pole like he'd just won a championship. Here's Charles, his first ever pole in F1, and he was already talking about the race. He seems so cool and collected.

He's an anodyne young man. Most of these new kids on the block, with the exception of Verstappen, are boring personalities.

chicorytip wrote: »
    He's an anodyne young man. Most of these new kids on the block, with the exception of Verstappen, are boring personalities.

He's only had one race with Ferrari, so he's obviously not going to rock the boat by getting angsty. I'll hold judgement until I see him in the midst of a title battle, that brings out the heat in most anyone. Even at that, while he might lack that predatory persona ala Verstappen, he just comes across as a very decent human being who deserves all the success he might find.

The Sky build up-pre race stuff is horrendous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Thomhic312

The kid interviewing bottas was good.

Vettel's moustache, he has to have lost a bet there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I don't get this fealing often but I reckon there will be a pile up in turn 1 or 2

The wind is noticeably stronger, crosswind at turn 4.

I'm excited for this one, come on Leclerc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Safety car by lap 2 I reckon. Hamilton and Vettel to touch.

I keep thinking the Ferrari is a McLaren on the onboard as it's so orange looking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Go Leclerc or Vettel for the win go Ferrari.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Vettel had the better start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Love the sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Horrible start for LeClerc

And just as I type he takes Bottas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Leclerc creeping back to vettel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Poor Sainz,he was looking well on to overtake Max for 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Looked like Leclerc was too concerned about Hamilton behind him, coupled with a poor start let Vettel and Bottas go by him the far side.

Still young and maybe nerves got to him but he's turning it around now, hope he can win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

This will be interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Piss off Verstappen

Advertisement