Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2018

Options
  • 24-08-2018 1:49am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Women's draw

Men's draw

As always, here's hoping to a good tournament.

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's probably the least excited I've ever been for a grand slam. How the hell do we ever watch this thing with it being hauled online? No fun watching tennis on a laptop, I'll have to try getting a HDMI cable to connect my Samsung to the tv. I just hope the quality is watchable, but there'll be no recording to finish watching a late match in the morning. Terrible they've followed the money with zero consideration for the fans.

Anyway, lots to digest in the draws, as always. Fed-Kyrgios in the 3rd round could be great, it might serve as motivation for Nick to actually try in the first two rounds to get there. Saw on Twitter that Nadal has actually never beaten Ferrer at a hard court slam. I'm sure this record will definitely continue next week :cool: Stosur-Wozniacki is an intriguing match, any chance Sam could roll back the years a bit? :cool::cool: Kinda crazy it's been seven years since she won the US Open!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Forgot this was going online. Such a shame. Same as PGA golf recently which I mostly missed and turned out to be a really good tournament. Seems more and more the way of the future sadly.

Weird stat about Nadal never beating Ferrer on hard, wonder how many matches that comprises? It ends here anyway. Surely.

It’s invariably windy here isn’t it which I guess suits Stosur and her topspin and signature kick serve. Could be troublesome for Woz if on a going day.

Can’t believe Konta has regressed so much this season, not even seeded and tough draw. I’m forever putting up Ka Pliskova and have to do so again with a favorable looking draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I almost certainly won't be watching much of this because of the nonsense of it being on the internet only.

The PGA championship golf seems to have got dreadful ratings based on some bits where they show how many are watching on facebook at a time but of course they haven't officially released the full viewership figures so nobody really knows.

The fact that there will be no ATP tour tennis on TV in the UK in Ireland for the next few years is a terrible move for the game as the big 3 are probably going to be fading away in that period so although in the past it might have been worth the extra effort to watch the ATP tour it definitely won't be after the big 3 go.

It's unbelievable that a sport would go down this road of deliberately reducing your potential audience rather than trying to expand it.Makes absolutely no sense that they can't have both and on-line and television broadcaster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

You could just do a free 30 day prime trial and watch it for free.

I'll probably watch it on ESPN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ther's really no such thing as a shock in the women's game anymore, so Halep going out is par for the course.

• Advertisement

Ther's really no such thing as a shock in the women's game anymore, so Halep going out is par for the course.

Know what you’re sayin, but first ever top seed to be beaten in first round of US so it’s a shock by any stretch of the word, in my dictionary anyway. Isn’t Serena in that section of the draw too?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Has anyone else subscribed to Prime for the US Open? I'm finding it impossible to navigate and make sense of. The UK one offers a months free trial but the Irish one seems to be only for 7 days. I'm trying to see where I can cancel the free trial but there seems to be no record of me registering for one, it's telling me I'm not a prime member. I can't find any information on how much it's all costing either. I've seen it said somewhere that it can be cancelled "anytime" but I've also read that if you get sucked into membership it's for a year. Can anyone clarify? I can't find anything. The biggest problem right now though is I can't cancel the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

Absolute joke, a couple of years ago this was on sky AND Eurosport and you had red button option for outside courts.
    In addition the option of recording games and fast forwarding through them (useful in early rounds) is gone.
    So this will be case for masters 1000 tourneys next year? Will that virtually finishes 80% of my tennis viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hollowlands

Has anyone else subscribed to Prime for the US Open? I'm finding it impossible to navigate and make sense of. The UK one offers a months free trial but the Irish one seems to be only for 7 days. I'm trying to see where I can cancel the free trial but there seems to be no record of me registering for one, it's telling me I'm not a prime member. I can't find any information on how much it's all costing either. I've seen it said somewhere that it can be cancelled "anytime" but I've also read that if you get sucked into membership it's for a year. Can anyone clarify? I can't find anything. The biggest problem right now though is I can't cancel the trial.

I just signed up to Amazon Prime today and it's working fine, although I do have a northern address. I Just went on to the Amazon homepage, logged in, clicked on Prime and "start free trial".

I was pretty sure the trial is 30 days no matter what country you're in. There may be a difference between "Amazon Prime" and "Prime Video" because I came across something else that only had a 7 day trial.

I'm watching it on the Amazon app on a smart TV. The picture quality is really good. I think it's better than SKY HD, but it is annoying not being able to record and not being able to flick to other channels during changeovers. I miss the Eurosport commentary too. There were two american guys doing the Wawrinka Dimitrov match and they weren't great.

The plans to reduce the slams to just 16 seeds from next year onwards have apparently been abandoned. I'd have liked to have seen it with the ATP but it would've been ridiculous for the WTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Gutted this isn’t on Eurosport anymore! I really enjoyed their coverage. The sickener is they still cover it just not for UK & Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Gutted this isn’t on Eurosport anymore! I really enjoyed their coverage. The sickener is they still cover it just not for UK & Ireland.

It is on Eurosport and ESPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It is on Eurosport and ESPN?

No it isn't, as I discovered when I tried to watch tonight. I am perfectly capable of watching stuff online, and have decent broadband, but don't like it at all. I watched NONE of the USPGA this year because it was streamed. Surely this means fewer people watching these sports events that are only available through streaming - I just don't get why sports are going this way. And what about the poor sods who don't have access to decent broadband speeds? :mad:

vienne86 wrote: »
    No it isn't, as I discovered when I tried to watch tonight. I am perfectly capable of watching stuff online, and have decent broadband, but don't like it at all. I watched NONE of the USPGA this year because it was streamed. Surely this means fewer people watching these sports events that are only available through streaming - I just don't get why sports are going this way. And what about the poor sods who don't have access to decent broadband speeds? :mad:

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/us-open-men/2018/us-open_sto6274481/story.shtml

I must be watching elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

I was the same. I'm a technophobe. It was saying 7 days for me too and all sorts of movie choices but no tennis. By chance I discovered on www.primevideo.com that it had my location as USA. Once I changed it to Ireland I had all options available

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I have the Eurosport player and there’s no tennis on this week. Maybe they still have the rights for the rest of Europe

vienne86 wrote: »
    I feel your pain along with thousands of others. Sadly I fear this is the way of the future. I would guess the biggest factor for the various sports is to have the big conglomerates like Amazon, Twitter etc on board which drives competition and opens up huge new revenue streams for them. They are gambling that a new generation will emerge for whom viewing sports on multi media platforms is second nature and old models become obsolete. Time will tell whether that gamble pays off.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    I have the Eurosport player and there’s no tennis on this week. Maybe they still have the rights for the rest of Europe

It is on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

It is on it.
    Not in Ireland (and presumably the UK). Even when I use a VPN to pretend I'm in Germany, I get the list of channels showing it, but when I click on them it simply says content not available. If you are getting to actually see the matches on Eurosport Player, I'd love to know what you are doing (assuming you don't have a European Eurosport Player subscription).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I feel your pain along with thousands of others. Sadly I fear this is the way of the future. I would guess the biggest factor for the various sports is to have the big conglomerates like Amazon, Twitter etc on board which drives competition and opens up huge new revenue streams for them. They are gambling that a new generation will emerge for whom viewing sports on multi media platforms is second nature and old models become obsolete. Time will tell whether that gamble pays off.

I think it's an idotic plan though.

They'll lose out on so many fans in the short to medium term that they might never get back.

It would have been very easy to have both a streaming and television service.

The more split sports coverage is the non core sports like Tennis will get cut off, it's fine to put the top 2 or 3 sports in any country on this sort of service as the plan might work as people are more likely to go through extra hassle to access but with something like Tennis it doesn't have near enough hard core fans in any market to really work.

If anything sports like Tennis and Golf should be going the other way with their major tournaments an having them on free to air tv and maximizing access and interest in the sport.No amount of money in the world is worth the publicity 2 weeks of non stop tennis on BBC gives the sport.Wimbledon has become an institution in the UK because of this.

• Advertisement

Johnmb wrote: »
    Not in Ireland (and presumably the UK). Even when I use a VPN to pretend I'm in Germany, I get the list of channels showing it, but when I click on them it simply says content not available. If you are getting to actually see the matches on Eurosport Player, I'd love to know what you are doing (assuming you don't have a European Eurosport Player subscription).

Im on player subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Interesting that after 2 days of play the only comments here are about how to access the coverage no comments about the actual tennis!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Interesting that after 2 days of play the only comments here are about how to access the coverage no comments about the actual tennis!

I know, but normally I’d have watched more of the tennis. I actually don’t mind watching tennis online with Eurosport as the player is well designed and there’s so many courts that there’s always a match I’m interested in.

With Amazon the player is poorly designed as you can’t switch easily between matches. And the big thing there’s only 4 channels so lots of the matches I’m interested in aren’t being shown and there’s no proper catch up facility. At least with Eurosport I could ignore the overnight scores and rewatch the night matches which generally have the big names playing.

Also for a first round we haven’t lost as many seeds as has happened in the other slams so there’s less to talk about.

I know, but normally I’d have watched more of the tennis. I actually don’t mind watching tennis online with Eurosport as the player is well designed and there’s so many courts that there’s always a match I’m interested in.

With Amazon the player is poorly designed as you can’t switch easily between matches. And the big thing there’s only 4 channels so lots of the matches I’m interested in aren’t being shown and there’s no proper catch up facility. At least with Eurosport I could ignore the overnight scores and rewatch the night matches which generally have the big names playing.

Also for a first round we haven’t lost as many seeds as has happened in the other slams so there’s less to talk about.

I haven't seen any of it yet and am not liking what I hear about Amazon. Really missing the usual Grand Slam excitement!

Tennis has been good so far. Sad to see Ferrer all but retire.

Tennis has been good so far. Sad to see Ferrer all but retire.

Yes, pity he came up against Nadal in the first round. Would have been nice to see him win a couple of matches at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I watched the last set of the Federer match last night. Was a little odd, went 4-0 up and then started missing a load of easy shots. Got over the line comfortably enough however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I watched the last set of the Federer match last night. Was a little odd, went 4-0 up and then started missing a load of easy shots. Got over the line comfortably enough however.

I think he just knew he had it, the wee Japanese kid breaking was a bit iffy tho!

I think he just knew he had it, the wee Japanese kid breaking was a bit iffy tho!

Nishioka is only a challenger standard in my opinion. Early stages of opens always messy with LL and WC

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Nishioka is only a challenger standard in my opinion. Early stages of opens always messy with LL and WC

He seemed so thrilled to get a bog standard passing winner in, was kind of sweet in a way.

Advertisement