Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

What channel is this gonna be on and any suggestion for a pub in Kinsale...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So he has gone from doing nothing to average in a few posts...not a bad return

All of the above can be explained easily, he is coming back from injury.

Also he has played with Ireland who had a team malfunction and Leinster hardly lighting up the place. Not easy from him to carry a team while out of form himself

I know last season it was JGP who everyone was saying is useless etc and I knew he would come good, this year it’s SOB....will let you know Sunday evening if I was right....

Being able to explain it, and it being the case, are not mutually exclusive. It's not necessarily an irreversible decline, I haven't given up on him yet, but you cant argue there hasn't been a decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Being able to explain it, and it being the case, are not mutually exclusive. It's not necessarily an irreversible decline, I haven't given up on him yet, but you cant argue there hasn't been a decline.

For me it's the fact that he's been poor since he came back three months ago and has had plenty of minutes since then. He hasn't shown any sign of improvement. He's just so slow onto the ball and into a tackle. He's lost so much momentum and power.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player. He was always superhumanly powerful and fast, now he's probably more normal. The problem is that he hasn't adjusted his game to match his new reality.

And the trend line since his reappearance against Wasps has been flat, there's been no uptick at all.

I say all of this as someone who wanted him to stay for another few years and who is my favourite Leinster player of all time. It genuinely hurts watching him struggle for form over such a prolonged period. I hope he gets there.

Xoxoxoxoxo

Luff yew bbe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How many minutes has he played?

For a reference how many minutes has Murray played and he is no where near top form

Healy was written off by a lot of people as well

How many minutes has he played?

For a reference how many minutes has Murray played and he is no where near top form

Healy was written off by a lot of people as well

Healy was much younger and didn't have such a long history of injuries.

Murray is probably a better comparison but his entire game doesn't revolve around physicality. I'd also argue that he has shown gradual improvement in every game he's played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

What channel is this gonna be on and any suggestion for a pub in Kinsale...?

It’s on virgin and Channel 4.

troyzer wrote: »
    Healy was much younger and didn't have such a long history of injuries.

Murray is probably a better comparison but his entire game doesn't revolve around physicality. I'd also argue that he has shown gradual improvement in every game he's played.

He played well against Scotland, from my point of view he has improved week on week but like Tomane some people just seem to refuse to see it

Easier to just throw players to the side

If Ireland are to get to a semi in WC we could do with a SOB firing on all cylinders

To win the Heineken cup this year Leinster are going to need him

He played well against Scotland, from my point of view he has improved week on week but like Tomane some people just seem to refuse to see it

Easier to just throw players to the side

If Ireland are to get to a semi in WC we could do with a SOB firing on all cylinders

To win the Heineken cup this year Leinster are going to need him

I'm not throwing him aside. I'm just being realistic that his improvement, if it's there, is very slow and he only has a maximum of five games left in blue. Realistically, probably only three. So that's probably all she wrote on his Leinster career.

Whether or not he kicks on in the next six months in time for the world cup is entirely different and he might get there.

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm not throwing him aside. I'm just being realistic that his improvement, if it's there, is very slow and he only has a maximum of five games left in blue. Realistically, probably only three. So that's probably all she wrote on his Leinster career.

Whether or not he kicks on in the next six months in time for the world cup is entirely different and he might get there.

It will be a full Leinster team and hopefully they are firing on all cylinders, if he doesn’t perform then we can review. At the moment he has played in a out of form Ireland team and a collection of A/B Leinster team

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Why is Ntamack only on the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

stephen_n wrote: »
    Why is Ntamack only on the bench?

Ahki is a good bit heavier despite being a much inferior player. They've also gone for a 6-2 split on the bench. Maybe gives an indication of how they're going to play, or what they expect from us.

Ahki is a good bit heavier despite being a much inferior player. They've also gone for a 6-2 split on the bench. Maybe gives an indication of how they're going to play, or what they expect from us.

I’d have thought Ntamack was a much bigger threat. Yes looks like Toulouse are planning for a war of attrition. Timely return for Henshaw’s defensive capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I’d have thought Ntamack was a much bigger threat. Yes looks like Toulouse are planning for a war of attrition. Timely return for Henshaw’s defensive capabilities.

And Ringrose. Having those two in midfield against a massive Toulouse pack and Ahki/Guitoune is a massive relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is Conor O'Brien injured? He would of been a great option off the bench.

Is Conor O'Brien injured? He would of been a great option off the bench.

Not ready yet, his time will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Not ready yet, his time will come.

Hope so he's a quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I was very skeptical about Leinster's chances of winning today. Our form wasn't good going into the game, and we were coming off a poor Six Nations. But the lads proved me so wrong. That was easily Leinster's best performance of the season. At the crucial moments we shifted the point of contact so much that we never gave the Toulouse defence a chance to reset. On the defensive side I thought we completely suffocated Toulouse. We were up hard in defence and didn't give them enough time to make their customary offloads. And we competed at the breakdown and slowed their ball so much.

Sexton won motm and he was great. But it could have gone to three or four others. Fardy, Lowe, Ringrose and Ryan were magnificent.

Paddy power currently have it as a dead even.

The final that is. It's not a placeholder either, they're taking bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Think James Lowe proved today how valuable he is.

Lot of people here calling for Byrne or Kearney over him for today's game but he was brilliant today and worked very hard. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Hopefully the airlines put on more flights as the prices were astronomical when I booked and that was in March.

I’m flying to and from Belfast. €250 return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ryanair had same day flights from Dublin to Newcastle for 220 earlier today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Clegg wrote: »
    I was very skeptical about Leinster's chances of winning today. Our form wasn't good going into the game, and we were coming off a poor Six Nations. But the lads proved me so wrong. That was easily Leinster's best performance of the season. At the crucial moments we shifted the point of contact so much that we never gave the Toulouse defence a chance to reset. On the defensive side I thought we completely suffocated Toulouse. We were up hard in defence and didn't give them enough time to make their customary offloads. And we competed at the breakdown and slowed their ball so much.

Sexton won motm and he was great. But it could have gone to three or four others. Fardy, Lowe, Ringrose and Ryan were magnificent.

^^ this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ryanair had same day flights from Dublin to Newcastle for 220 earlier today.

€400 now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

€400 now

Joe Walsh tours have decent packages for anyone looking for a good same day package with flights, transfers etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Best way at this stage to get tickets lads? Need 7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Best way at this stage to get tickets lads? Need 7

Round up as many season ticket holders as you can. Ask for their entrance to the lottery.

Such a technical, professional display from Leinster today. Didn't really matter what Toulouse did, Leinster had a platform that Toulouse couldn't consistently live with and Leinster could rely on that platform to continuously build pressure.

It's impressive seeing the team so well drilled, consistency pulling the right decision from the pre determined pool of best options and executing despite plenty of pressure from the French. Saracens won their game in a similar fashion and consequently I thought Toulouse and Munster both lost in different ways but for the same reason. Poor coaching.

Toulouse are loaded with gifted, inventive players and yet they can't create enough cohesion with their huge forward pack to deliver a consistent platform for the backs. You can see the difference in how well teams are drilled by watching the top French teams play any of the top teams from other competitions.

Similarly, but on the opposite end of the spectrum Munster are so ultra constrained by their adherence to defensive shape that their counter attacking game is less existent than Ireland's. There was a real lack of leadership in that backline in the void left by Earls and Haley offered himself up as the target for a good few early territory boosters for Saracens.

It's probably the most comprehensively I've seen that first team Munster squad capitulate since they lost at home to Leinster in Thomond two seasons ago. It's a real worrying sign as this is the best Munster squad in a good while and I didn't expect the game to be so one sided. Even Sexton described Saracens as 'dominant' in his post match interview. That's a strong word in the context.

I'm not sure what all that means for Leinster. I always think Leinster and Munster get the best out of each other, and there hasn't been a lot to separate the teams this season. Munster were closed down entirely by Saracens albeit we did similar with an in form Toulouse.

I think this is about as even as I've seen two teams arrive at a European final. Saracens are in better form, both teams have similar levels of talent and Leinster have a really good track record in Europe. Saracens internationals have been just about better in the six nations, Farrell is showing more form, confidence and variety in his game than Sexton.

I dunno. I think this could be a new statistic for us in a final. But at the same time we're bloody good in finals and despite being well on top at the weekend, Saracens did look a bit rattled in that first half and I think we can get them into that kind of distress earlier and more deliberately.

It's going to be some game. The result will certainly impact differently on the two groups of players heading into the tournament of many of their lives this September. Massive final, Leinster by 3, SOB motm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Hard to omit Lowe after that. If he's left out and Leinster end up losing there'll be regrets that they didn't select a gun player like him. On the other hand, if McGrath got injured and O'Sullivan had to play a large chunk of the match I'd say Leinster could pretty much wave goodbye to their chances of winning. I can't say I was impressed by him in his cameo. His decision making and execution was slow and the receiver was being put under pressure as a result. I'm glad it's Lancaster making the decision and not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Think I'd like to see something like the following versus Ulster:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Jack Dunne
    6. Rhys Ruddock/Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Patrick Patterson
    10. Ciarán Frawley
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. David Kearney
    15. Barry Daly

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    19. Oisín Dowling
    20. Caelan Doris
    21. Hugh O'Sullivan
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Adam Byrne

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I forgot Lancaster picks the team. Cullen is only the PR manager after all.

Jack Dunne won't be playing, he's got exams this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement