Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Is there a Ray Darcy show tomorrow?

He said he'd be in. You couldn't be taking holy days off .

I'd be on his side on the religious thing. I'll be having rashers and sausages etc for breakfast and a steak washed down with loads of alcohol later. As much as I love fish, I refuse to eat it on Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

sligojoek wrote: »

I'd be on his side on the religious thing. I'll be having rashers and sausages etc for breakfast and a steak washed down with loads of alcohol later. As much as I love fish, I refuse to eat it on Good Friday.

Did he make some comment about this?
    I couldn't care less what people eat, they can chomp away it won't make a difference to my Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is there a Ray Darcy show tomorrow?

Stop teasing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Stop teasing ;)

Did you hear him. "Oh the N11 was empty today, empty. But spare a thought for people like us here in work today and it 21 degrees outside". You spend 364 days a year lecturing us about how all ties with the Catholic Church should be cut, and now you are complaining that you are not getting the day off to celebrate a Catholic holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Did you hear him. "Oh the N11 was empty today, empty. But spare a thought for people like us here in work today and it 21 degrees outside". You spend 364 days a year lecturing us about how all ties with the Catholic Church should be cut, and now you are complaining that you are not getting the day off to celebrate a Catholic holiday.

He signed off saying something like see you sometime in the future so no doubt is off all next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Told us yesterday he doesn’t even take an hour for lunch. A true martyr to the cause.

He signed off saying something like see you sometime in the future so no doubt is off all next week

Noticed that when I tuned in for Drivetime.

I was half-daring to wonder whether his contract is currently under negotiation, and whether there might be another shock departure from Montrose, not unlike Pat Kenny's.

I doubt it, but the prospect is an exciting one.

I was half-daring to wonder whether his contract is currently under negotiation, and whether there might be another shock departure from Montrose, not unlike Pat Kenny's.

When was the last time a front line presenter at RTE did not have their contract renewed? I think that D'Arcy went to RTE specifically for this reason. RTE is a job for life, whereas he could have got dropped from Today FM.

I agree that it would be great if he left so as to give somebody else a chance. Somebody without all of his baggage and bias.

When was the last time a front line presenter at RTE did not have their contract renewed? I think that D'Arcy went to RTE specifically for this reason. RTE is a job for life, whereas he could have got dropped from Today FM.

I agree that it would be great if he left so as to give somebody else a chance. Somebody without all of his baggage and bias.
    It tends not to happen with RTE's highest earners, but from the top of my head, Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh, Lillian Smith, Marty Whelan are three fairly high-profile presenters on RTÉ Radio/TV who have been very unceremoniously cancelled by the station in terms of previous, high-profile positions.

Derek Mooney is said to have retired by choice from broadcasting his daily show, but I wonder how much of that decision was really his.

Ray Darcy's TV show has just recently been axed, so nothing is guaranteed, even at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

It tends not to happen with RTE's highest earners, but from the top of my head, Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh, Lillian Smith, Marty Whelan are three fairly high-profile presenters on RTÉ Radio/TV who have been very unceremoniously cancelled by the station in terms of previous, high-profile positions.

Derek Mooney is said to have retired by choice from broadcasting his daily show, but I wonder how much of that decision was really his.

Ray Darcy's TV show has just recently been axed, so nothing is guaranteed, even at RTE.

That would be the same Blathnaid Ni chofaigh, who appears to be trying to set the record, as the RTE employee who has appeared on the biggest variety of RTE TV and radio shows?
    Last thursday morning, she was on the Sean O Rourke show, apparently shes the new RTE easter Egg correspondent, seriously, she actually did

• Advertisement

That would be the same Blathnaid Ni chofaigh, who appears to be trying to set the record, as the RTE employee who has appeared on the biggest variety of RTE TV and radio shows?
    Last thursday morning, she was on the Sean O Rourke show, apparently shes the new RTE easter Egg correspondent, seriously, she actually did
    Maybe there will be a complaint, i didnt use any fadas in her name #irishlanguagerebel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Word is Spirit FM have made him a big offer.......they’ve offered to go against all their beliefs and morals and pay to have him euthanised by Dignitas in Switzerland, they’ve even offered to pay for a first class ticket there even though they know it will be a complete waste of free booze.

I’m surmising but when D’arcy went back to RTE you can be guaranteed he has something in his contract which will either keep him on their/our payroll or will cost them/is the same to get rid of him. Personally speaking, I’d pay an extra ‘D’arcy Sub’ on my license to have him disappear off the airwaves for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It tends not to happen with RTE's highest earners, but from the top of my head, Blnaid Nhofaigh, Lillian Smith, Marty Whelan are three fairly high-profile presenters on RTRadio/TV who have been very unceremoniously cancelled by the station in terms of previous, high-profile positions.

But they still work for RTE, don't they?
    First was main presenter on St PAtricks Day parade, 2nd I listen to on RTE Radio 1 the odd time, and Marty is Winning Streak and Lyric FM.

I'd hardly say they were dumped.

no offence to you, but I can barely comprehend this post.

Are you saying that she was a correspondent on the subject of Easter eggs? Very well, that may be so, but surely that demonstrates how far she has fallen -- since she once co-hosted a fairly predominant magazine show on RTE television.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Are you saying that she was a correspondent on the subject of Easter eggs? Very well, that may be so, but surely that demonstrates how far she has fallen -- since she once co-hosted a fairly predominant magazine show on RTE television.

She's staff-job for life in other words.

See also: Derek Mooney, Evelyn O' Rourke, John Murray etc etc

These guys with the possible exception of Mooney have no professional pride left whatsoever.
    Happy just to pick up their wages at the end of the week while doing the bare minimum to stay relevant and maybe pick up a reality TV gig.

Murray in particular is nothing short of a disgrace trying to sound interested in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

padd b1975 wrote: »
    She's staff-job for life in other words.

See also: Derek Mooney, Evelyn O' Rourke, John Murray etc etc

These guys with the possible exception of Mooney have no professional pride left whatsoever.
    Happy just to pick up their wages at the end of the week while doing the bare minimum to stay relevant and maybe pick up a reality TV gig.

Murray in particular is nothing short of a disgrace trying to sound interested in sport.

Would you blame them?

I'd say a lot of the ones mentioned are lifting close to €100k a year, thats nearly €2k at the end of every week.

I'd ar$e around RTE studios doing as little as possible for that;)

Maybe its the likes of these folks that Dee Forbes needs to be getting rid of, as well as cutting the wages of D'arcy, Tubs, Miriam etc by 75% to save money, instead of looking for us to pay more.

I thought i was clear, it seems to me that she has ben a guest on almost any rte show i can think off. The previous poster had suggested she had been dumped, im pretty sure she is still on the RTE payroll. I think a huge amount of money is wasted in RTE, because almost no one seems to actually get dumped. Its like moving the deckchairs around on the TITANIC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

She took some time off after she was the accused of bullying her co-presenter IIRC. After that she was never as prominent as she was before. She stated soon after that she wishes to front her own shows and has no need for co-presenters. To work around this, maybe RTE give her whatever Irish language gigs they have, and a few extra bits and bobs like being Easter egg correspondent?

All things considered, she is not doing too badly at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

mzungu wrote: »
    She took some time off after she was the accused of bullying her co-presenter IIRC. After that she was never as prominent as she was before. She stated soon after that she wishes to front her own shows and has no need for co-presenters. To work around this, maybe RTE give her whatever Irish language gigs they have, and a few extra bits and bobs like being Easter egg correspondent?

All things considered, she is not doing too badly at all.

I have had some personal interaction with Blathnaid in a professional capacity, unpleasant and delusional is an understatement. Unliked by absolutely everyone that comes in contact with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

padd b1975 wrote:

He has an extraordinary boring delivery. No animation at all. Send you asleep he would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

This thread seems to have turned into a discussion about the pay grades and talents of anyone, and everyone that may or may not be on the RTE payroll. Rather than a discussion of Ray D'arcys radio show !

TomasMacR wrote: »
    I have had some personal interaction with Blathnaid in a professional capacity, unpleasant and delusional is an understatement. Unliked by absolutely everyone that comes in contact with her.
    Well if we must do anecdotes, I am friends with two guys who worked with her on The Today Show, and they never stop talking about her, in a positive way.

So like all humans, opinions will vary.

Well if we must do anecdotes, I am friends with two guys who worked with her on The Today Show, and they never stop talking about her, in a positive way. So like all humans, opinions will vary.

Can you offer any insights on the bullying story? I'm too impatient to wait for Sheana Keane's autobiography "As Keane As Mustard".

Can you offer any insights on the bullying story? I'm too impatient to wait for Sheana Keane's autobiography "As Keane As Mustard".
    All I've heard is tittle-tattle, none of it serious. Keane and Ni Chofaigh obviously didn't get along but nothing I was told involved bullying.

That's obviously hearsay, based on people who were colleagues of Ni Chofaigh and liked her; I'm sure there's another side to the story, some of which has mentioned in the media.

TBH I suspect the media may have exaggerated any problem that existed, because Keane has publicly said she'd like bygones to be bygones. And it's probably more a topic for the TV forum, if it's even of public interest anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Never knew Katherine was a Mom,
    Hopefully she is covering for Ray again tomorrow, would love to hear more anecdotes about her daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Hopefully she is covering for Ray again tomorrow, would love to hear more anecdotes about her daughter.

how's "himself" finding fatherhood?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

She certainly kept being pregnant very quiet!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

any close calls recently?

She has very bad luck after
    1) here mother being in Tunisia 6 months before the shootings
    2) her brother being on J1 in California the same time as the Berkeley balcony (though in a different part of the state)

have seen her dining out in Kells a couple of times, I guess she may have used the BOI/AIB ATMs at some stage before they were nicked last Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Next big revelation will be that farcy is a father.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

any close calls recently?

She has very bad luck after
    1) here mother being in Tunisia 6 months before the shootings
    2) her brother being on J1 in California the same time as the Berkeley balcony (though in a different part of the state)

have seen her dining out in Kells a couple of times, I guess she may have used the BOI/AIB ATMs at some stage before they were nicked last Thursday

Two close calls.
    Thank god her family are safe.

Advertisement