Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

Sttttttteady now Tyrant..... deep breaths

Now I think you are being a wee bit harsh...just a wee bit.... the guy MrFitzgerald is a thoroughly well educated and qualified lad ..however...he came on yesterday and took about 12 or 13 ans to get ‘started up’ . Now I was cleaning out the cats litter tray and I had to hold the operation to see if the lad would ever get to V1 and rotation speed.

Anyone new or maybe not used to the gentleman could be forgiven for saying to themselves “who the f**k is this guy and how did he get to where he is now with that opening salvo’

Now he got the rate of climb steady after a while and reached crusing altitude safely enough, but I can see where the poster is coming from, just about.

Just giving my view, no criticism.

Fair commentary, Brendan. Lost my cool a bit there. The man is the Mick Jagger of Irish economics (well, maybe just Charlie Watts); if we must go after any political nepotism, let it be against Oireachtas dynasties or Cecilia Iníon Bertie, most of whom have only added blather to Irish social and political life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fair commentary, Brendan. Lost my cool a bit there. The man is the Mick Jagger of Irish economics (well, maybe just Charlie Watts); if we must go after any political nepotism, let it be against Oireachtas dynasties or Cecilia Iníon Bertie, most of whom have only added blather to Irish social and political life.

Well done Tee, I have heard John numerous times on radio and the first impression is always ‘the nutty professor’.He comes across as what I would imagine a typical academic would, kind of all over the place, flitting from one line of thought to another and struggling to get his mouth in synch with his brain.

Would not doubt for a minute his academic qualifications but transferring his skills and his knowledge to practical sentences that the woman in the street can understand is somewhat below par.... doubt he will change though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Well done Tee, I have heard John numerous times on radio and the first impression is always ‘the nutty professor’.He comes across as what I would imagine a typical academic would, kind of all over the place, flitting from one line of thought to another
    While it's interesting to hear him on Marian's show discussing economics (although for sheer entertainment value, it's hard to beat Colm McCarthy), when discussing certain other topics, being on Marian's panel usually requires a person to be more of an all-rounder.

For instance, yesterday, John F said that all schools should be multi-denominational. Alright, says Marian, so how do we get there? Well, says John, I haven't quite thought that one through ...

And previously, he said that he'd only get an electric car when it would take him from Dublin all the way to deepest darkest Kerry non-stop - skipping over the fact that, from a road safety point of view, nobody should be driving that distance non-stop.

Stick to the economics John, or only proffer opinions on areas you know a least something about ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

serfboard wrote: »
    While it's interesting to hear him on Marian's show discussing economics (although for sheer entertainment value, it's hard to beat Colm McCarthy), when discussing certain other topics, being on Marian's panel usually requires a person to be more of an all-rounder.

For instance, yesterday, John F said that all schools should be multi-denominational. Alright, says Marian, so how do we get there? Well, says John, I haven't quite thought that one through ...

And previously, he said that he'd only get an electric car when it would take him from Dublin all the way to deepest darkest Kerry non-stop - skipping over the fact that, from a road safety point of view, nobody should be driving that distance non-stop.

Stick to the economics John, or only proffer opinions on areas you know a least something about ...

Good thing that stipulation doesn't apply to Boards.ie posters.

Brian Scan wrote: »

Good thing that stipulation doesn't apply to Boards.ie posters.
    Around here, we listen equally to the well-informed as to the downright rude, a chara. Nevertheless, be careful of your tone, please. Patience is a short string, and best not tested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Oh change the bloody record.
    The man has two Masters degrees, is President of the Association d’Instituts Européens de Conjoncture Économique (Association of Economic Affairs Institutes of Europe) and has been published in most of the heavy-hitting economics journals in the world.

Okay, can I have your defence of Jim Power, and Austin Hughes now, and how they are still presented to us as experts? It is irresponsible of RTE to present these guys, who DID not their jobs properly and possibly influenced people into making bad decisions by giving their "advice". They should have fallen on their swords if they had any professional pride.

And you brought Fitzgeralds brother into this, he is not relevant at all to the conversation. If he did well in private industry, then good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Okay, can I have your defence of Jim Power, and Austin Hughes now, and how they are still presented to us as experts? It is irresponsible of RTE to present these guys, who DID not their jobs properly and possibly influenced people into making bad decisions by giving their "advice". They should have fallen on their swords if they had any professional pride.

And you brought Fitzgeralds brother into this, he is not relevant at all to the conversation. If he did well in private industry, then good luck to him.

Don't forget Dan McLaughlin! He was worse. It has to be said the ESRI were found seriously wanting around the bubble and I remember one Dutch economist leaving the ESRI later, saying that it was amateurish.
    Fitzgerald himself said he considered resigning.
    I think Marian's guest list is too cosy and there is a groupthink that really you would think should be avoided after the cosy groupthink that walked the country blindfolded off an economic cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I thought this weeks panel was just more of the same liberal opinions and groupthink - Marian tbf did offersome light pushback on certain topics but would it kill the researchers to put someone on the show who maybe had a differing perspective on Brexit / Lisa Smith et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Around here, we listen equally to the well-informed as to the downright rude, a chara. Nevertheless, be careful of your tone, please. Patience is a short string, and best not tested
    Oh change the bloody record.

:D

Brendan O'Connor (standing in for Marian) and the producers being extremely cautious regarding today's main story in The Sunday Times, regarding the pretty explosive John Delaney expenses revelations:

Not going to discuss the topic as they 'can't verify it'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dunphy on now again saying his buddy JD has done a lot of good

Going on now about an ‘invented term’ of ‘football family’.

Ignoring the fact that the term ‘football people’ is very much associated with him.

These ‘football people’ were very quick to launch into the GAA when the Liam Miller issue arose.

Stephen Kenny and Duff wrote some very sour and bitter stuff during that period and rather than letting the GAA get on with it put their oar in to try and bully another organisation into a corner they had nothing to do with.

One of these people is now in a very important position in the FAI, which if nothing else shows the paucity of talent in that organisation.

Dunphy making a fool of himself here

Surprised that they have him back on after his u-turn the day after his contribution on the last show. Surely this affects his credibility and the credibility of the show.

Paul Sommerville just put his foot in it there. He is very loose tongued at times. In reverse now.

Dunphy making a fool of himself here

Trying to keep a foot on both sides of the fence, it appears to me.

God to see these lads called out. Fair play to Ballsy, not afraid to go in studs up.

Gerry Stembridge doesn't really have much of a clue, outside of making massive sweeping statements informed by what he reads in the red tops.

Gerry Stembridge doesn't really have much of a clue, outside of making massive sweeping statements informed by what he reads in the red tops.

Correct, while all the time bunting his own kind of lefty policy out there.

The only thing that I probably DO agree with John Delaney about was that it was unfair to have members of the committee who had already made their mind about him asking questions. Noel Rock, and anybody else who had aired an opinion before Wednesday, should have absented themselves in the interest of fairness. And in the interest of not giving John Delaney a chance to portray himself as the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The Big Guy doing a good job this weekend sitting in for WheezyWhinyWoman.

That’s her twitter handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Any reason given for Marian being off today? Don't suppose its because she wont discuss the Delaney story as her own tiny charity has been the "Official Charity of the FAI" since 2010. How tomake friends & influence people eh.

www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-announce-friends-in-ireland-as-official-charity

As per the link

"Chief Exec John Delaney said, "it is a pleasure to announce Friends in Ireland as the official charity of the FAI."

Marian Finucane said, "We are honoured and delighted with this partnership with the FAI....the staff and John Delaney have been inordinately helpful to Friends in Ireland in developing this partnership."

purifol0 wrote: »
    Any reason given for Marian being off today? Don't suppose its because she wont discuss the Delaney story as her own tiny charity has been the "Official Charity of the FAI" since 2010. How tomake friends & influence people eh.

www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-announce-friends-in-ireland-as-official-charity

As per the link

"Chief Exec John Delaney said, "it is a pleasure to announce Friends in Ireland as the official charity of the FAI."

Marian Finucane said, "We are honoured and delighted with this partnership with the FAI....the staff and John Delaney have been inordinately helpful to Friends in Ireland in developing this partnership."

What do I keep tellin you guys...... what do I keep saying.

TEACHERS HOURS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Nice if you can get them.

Anyway, t'was nice not to hear her cough and splutter her way through the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Anyway, t'was nice not to hear her cough and splutter her way through the show
    I really can't stand BO'C's voice. It's like nails on a blackboard.

It's an acquired taste but I don't mind him. I find Marian's wheezing, coughing and croaky voice harder to listen to when she's having a bad day.

It's an acquired taste but I don't mind him. I find Marian's wheezing, coughing and croaky voice harder to listen to when she's having a bad day.
    I rather like it!

It's somewhat nostalgic, I first heard it on AM radio and associate it with days-off from school, or going late into school, from the days when she had Tubridy's 9am weekday slot.

I believe she's even kept thee same sting from those days.

Have to agree re Brendan O'Connor. I just cannot take to him. Thought today's slot, joking with Éamon Dunphy about John Delaney's lavish birthday party at Mount Juliet was cringe-inducing, and tone-deaf; it was not the kind of mistake Marian would make , knowing how that kind of nonsense goes down with listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I really can't stand BO'C's voice. It's like nails on a blackboard.

It's the main reason I don't like listening to him. Also he said it was time for the 'noose'. At which point I gave up.
    If cork people want to speak like that let them stay in cork. Embarrassing. Just like that geezer with that cap. Should be a law against the cork accent and wearing of caps indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Listened to a bit of the FAI discussion yesterday, I wouldnt normally listen to Marian Finucane but Brian Kennedy was on with Mario Rosenstock on Today FM.

I had to laugh when they were discussing Delaney's salary. They were talking about the boss man in Dublin City Council was earning less than half of what Delaney earned.

RTE having the gall to complain about somebody on a €370k salary when Duffy and Darcy earn almost €1m a year between them was lost on the panel that Brendan O Connor had on. I though maybe Dunphy would pick up on it but he didnt.

Brendan O'Connor in for Marian Finucane again this weekend.

The taverns of Malaga must be running short of Pinot Grigio at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

What a self serving reprehensible politician

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

That felt like the researchers were told to ring around their mates to fill guest slots today.

• Advertisement

Brendan O'Connor in for Marian Finucane again this weekend.

The taverns of Malaga must be running short of Pinot Grigio at this stage.

Tee..... teachers hours....... I keep saying it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

washiskin wrote: »
    That felt like the researchers were told to ring around their mates to fill guest slots today.

They usually just grab them from the canteen.

Tee..... teachers hours....... I keep saying it.
    Except teachers can't work beyond 70. She surely must be there or thereabouts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She'll be 69 on the 21st of may.

It really annoys me the way that these people are referring to Lyra McKee as Lyra as if they knew her. Well except for Mulvey who refers to her as Lyra Magee !

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Great panel on Marian today , failed businessman Pádraig Ó Céidigh and a suitable gang of left minded people. Another 2 hours of group think , begining with Peter Casey . No balance just give the guy a bit of a kicking and have a laugh at anyone who might vote for him and his views. They havent learnt the lessons of Brexit , Trump etc. Whether you agree with Casey or not, he has some valid points and a chunk of people who agree with him . For once, the European elections are actually going to be intriguing to watch .
    Marian first panel show after the results are out will be a hoot .

Great panel on Marian today , failed businessman Pádraig Ó Céidigh and a suitable gang of left minded people. Another 2 hours of group think , begining with Peter Casey .

Don't forget the 5 minute "immigration is wonderful" slot, and of course the now traditional swipe at the Catholic Church over gay marriage. We have a group of people who are falling over each other to demonstrate how welcoming they are of the diversity of the different nationalities and different religious beliefs, when the truth is that diversity of opinion is not welcomed at all in most TV and radio studios in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Allinall

Great panel on Marian today , failed businessman Pádraig Ó Céidigh and a suitable gang of left minded people. Another 2 hours of group think , begining with Peter Casey . No balance just give the guy a bit of a kicking and have a laugh at anyone who might vote for him and his views. They havent learnt the lessons of Brexit , Trump etc. Whether you agree with Casey or not, he has some valid points and a chunk of people who agree with him . For once, the European elections are actually going to be intriguing to watch .
    Marian first panel show after the results are out will be a hoot .

How is O’Ceidigh a failed business man?

Allinall wrote: »
    How is O’Ceidigh a failed business man?

I guess it's in reference to the fact that Aer Arann was in trouble when he was running it and it was sold off to Stobart's. It certainly can be used as a stick to beat him with, but I'm not sure that it can all be put at his door. I do grimace sometimes when I hear him on talking about how businesses should be run given that the one he was running was sold off, but I'm not sure how fair a response that is. I guess you would normally expect the person giving advice to other businesses to have a stellar history with regard to their running of their own businesses in the past.

Great panel on Marian today , failed businessman Pádraig Ó Céidigh and a suitable gang of left minded people. Another 2 hours of group think , begining with Peter Casey . No balance just give the guy a bit of a kicking and have a laugh at anyone who might vote for him and his views. They havent learnt the lessons of Brexit , Trump etc

I caught a few minutes of it when I was spinning about in the car.

Some amount of pearl clutching about a Trump visit. Jayyyy-sussss lads he's an undiplomatic oaf but he's still the democratically elected president and he'll get all the diplomatic niceties that go with it if he visits.

(Michael D will just have to grin & bear it, that is his job)

• Advertisement

Some amount of pearl clutching about a Trump visit. Jayyyy-sussss lads he's an undiplomatic oaf but he's still the democratically elected president and he'll get all the diplomatic niceties that go with it if he visits.

Little hobbit would rather meet some South American left wing cnunt who ran his country and people into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I thought the Trump piece was surprisingly reasonable. Marian and the last 2 speakers (Padraig? and come other woman) seemed to have a fairly pragmatic view of the whole visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

A daughter advising her father on his love life ... says a lot about how rural Ireland has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Something peculiar in that family relationship or this woman's perception of it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Heard the opening of the show and her going through the headlines in the newspapers and she sounded like she was climbing mt blanc while doing it without oxygen.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but when Reagan was invited to address the Houses of the Oireachtas 35 years ago, MIchael D Higgins was one of the only members who boycotted it. He probably wishes the Constitution gave him the same latitude to boycott Trump's visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but when Reagan was invited to address the Houses of the Oireachtas 35 years ago, MIchael D Higgins was one of the only members who boycotted it. He probably wishes the Constitution gave him the same latitude to boycott Trump's visit.

At lease Michael D will know the requirments & constraints of the Constitution ... unlike some of the others who went for the position! :rolleyes:

That lefty gombeen has been hurling on both sides for too long.

If you don’t like the position you apply for , don’t apply for it.

This hobbit has been fooling the public for as long as I care to remember,holding strong left wing views yet sucking strongly on the teat of the taxpayer whilst living life high on the hogs back, paid for for by our taxes.

Despicable little runt.

Marian’s dinner party in full effect again today

Nora Owen “I must congratulate you on your WONDERFUL interview yesterday”

• Advertisement

Marion pontificating about the intrusive and sensationalist media coverage of the trial - less than 24 hours after having asked Shelly Ryan to reveal the intimate texts between her father and Mary Lowry to the nation. Give me a break Marion, ye are all the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement