Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ajax rolling back the years, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Wasn't even a lucky performance, they were all over Juve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I see paddy Cosgrave continues to expose himself as being an absolute clown and hypocrit of the highest order.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/paddy-cosgrave-no-saint-over-us-fund-tax-arrangements-1.3863349?mode=amp

Yea he's a self-important twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I see paddy Cosgrave continues to expose himself as being an absolute clown and hypocrit of the highest order.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/paddy-cosgrave-no-saint-over-us-fund-tax-arrangements-1.3863349?mode=amp

I really really dislike Paddy Cosgrave and I'm not sure I agree with his position on tax reform either. BUT. He's never hid the internal hypocrisy here. I've always felt people should be able to be critical of mechanisms they benefit from. It shouldn't be up to an individual to self deprive of something everyone else has, just because they feel no one should have it.

(for example, I'm morally opposed to the idea of private schools, but I went to one, and if they still exist I'll send my kids to one).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Why are you morally opposed to private schools

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

ClanofLams wrote: »

The fact that he even says that 20k for an ad campaign is a very small amount, tells you all you need to know about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Synode wrote: »
    Why are you morally opposed to private schools

Just to clarify I'd distinguish my moral issue from a practical issue. I think the fact that in parts of the country middle class kids can avoid state schools lessens the burden on government to improve the standard of those state schools. I also think that private schools are clearly academically superior, which is fine, the problem is that access to further education is a supply limited system where academics are all that matter (accepting that the DARE scheme exists), because of that its impossible to give one cohort an advantage without disadvantaging another cohort. (ie, the quality of education in public schools is comparatively worse than if private schools didn't exist at all). Finally I think it'd be genuinely mutually beneficial if social classes mixed a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,982 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't disagree with comments about Cosgrave, but it's wholly disingenuous of the IT to draw a moral equivalence between U.S. companies incorporating in Delaware (where they are still subject to U.S. tax laws) and Ireland's sleight of hand with offshore funds and the U.S. tax treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Absolutely awful what happened last night to that young woman in Derry. On Good Friday none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The fact that he even says that 20k for an ad campaign is a very small amount, tells you all you need to know about him.

To be honest 20k is pittence in the grand scheme of online advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Absolutely awful what happened last night to that young woman in Derry. On Good Friday none the less.

With this and the atm raids, I really hope this isn’t a return to the bad old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

stephen_n wrote: »
    With this and the atm raids, I really hope this isn’t a return to the bad old days.

It is a really small minority with only small localised support. Unless something the authorities do something really stupid these criminals will never get general support.

bilston wrote: »
    It is a really small minority with only small localised support. Unless something the authorities do something really stupid these criminals will never get general support.

No I don’t believe they will, though even a handful can do a lot of damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

General support is irrelevant when people are dying...Lyra was a shining light, an accomplished journalist, novelist and a brilliant advocate for LGBT issues... horrific that someone so young and talented had to die because of a bunch of warped little bastards..

Erik Shun wrote: »
    General support is irrelevant when people are dying...Lyra was a shining light, an accomplished journalist, novelist and a brilliant advocate for LGBT issues... horrific that someone so young and talented had to die because of a bunch of warped little bastards..

Well very true. It only takes one man with one gun to cause carnage.

She really did seem quite a young woman. It is such a waste of life and potential.

I am so angry, which is not like me at all really. but genuinely I am so angry. The murder of Lyra McKee is a complete and utter disgrace. This stuff isn't supposed to happen any more. We've all had our fill of it. We'eve had enough.

I didn't know the girl, but she was 29 years of age, younger than me, just doing her job, and she's gunned down in the street. What a senseless waste of life. I hope the waste of space that pulled the trigger never has a peaceful night for the rest of their miserable existence on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It’s a good thing the UK isn’t on course to do anything really stupid any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

awec wrote: »
    I am so angry, which is not like me at all really. but genuinely I am so angry. The murder of Lyra McKee is a complete and utter disgrace. This stuff isn't supposed to happen any more. We've all had our fill of it. We'eve had enough.

I didn't know the girl, but she was 29 years of age, younger than me, just doing her job, and she's gunned down in the street. What a senseless waste of life. I hope the waste of space that pulled the trigger never has a peaceful night for the rest of their miserable existence on this planet.
    It's important that they don't just arrest the 15 year old or whomever did it, they need to find the source of guns and seriously punish the organisation or the adult responsible for the weapon, in my mind a higher punishment than the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's important that they don't just arrest the 15 year old or whomever did it, they need to find the source of guns and seriously punish the organisation or the adult responsible for the weapon, in my mind a higher punishment than the kid.

The only thing I'd say on this, is the PSNI going in heavy in terms of raids and stepping up patrols and searches, is also going to heighten the tensions in stronghold areas that these groups operate in.

As a friend pointed out, given the current economic climate with Brexit, this is probably the clearest pathway that republicans could see for a United Ireland, yet you still have absolute lowlife scumbags burning out cars and rioting against other communities under the name of the IRA, and pushing things back. Something needs to be done to stomp them out of society.

• Advertisement

It’s a good thing the UK isn’t on course to do anything really stupid any time soon!

Well quite

The only thing I'd say on this, is the PSNI going in heavy in terms of raids and stepping up patrols and searches, is also going to heighten the tensions in stronghold areas that these groups operate in.

As a friend pointed out, given the current economic climate with Brexit, this is probably the clearest pathway that republicans could see for a United Ireland, yet you still have absolute lowlife scumbags burning out cars and rioting against other communities under the name of the IRA, and pushing things back. Something needs to be done to stomp them out of society.

I think stomping them out would be exactly what they need. Any sort of heavy handed reaction will only further their cause. This has to be a community response, from within their own communities. Hopefully this death will be a catalyst to shrink their support and put pressure on them to stop.

Really disappointed in the new season of thrones. Second episode is so bad I had I had to double check I hadn't downloaded some parody version of the episode.

Really disappointed in the new season of thrones. Second episode is so bad I had I had to double check I hadn't downloaded some parody version of the episode.

It was actually pretty good I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Maybe the first two episodes could have been condensed into one but I've enjoyed them.

It's one of the best non-spectacle episodes they've ever done. The first had some dodgy moments, but they got that one spot on.

There was one pretty subtle hint for book readers as regards the ending anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's one of the best non-spectacle episodes they've ever done. The first had some dodgy moments, but they got that one spot on.

Agree with this. I loved that episode. The underlying tension, the relationships just as you know some of these characters are going to die in the episodes to come, they just got it all right IMO. Its episodes like this one that make the spectacle episodes so much more than just action scenes. When a character dies you'll feel it more. Pumped for next weeks episode now too.

I have one question for people to give their opinions on
    Who are the 3 most likely to die next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I have one question for people to give their opinions on
    Who are the 3 most likely to die next week?
    Brienne, Grey Worm & Gendry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement