Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi mi a2 lite

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NickyK

glasso wrote: »
    what frequency is your router running on?

there can be issues with 5ghz channels.

if it's on 5ghz, change it to 2.4ghz and see if that works.

Thanks for the reply. How do I check/change the frequency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

When you search for wifi, there should be a TP link xxxx 2.4g and TP link xxxx_ 5g option. Just going by my router's name but you should see something similar.

Maybe go into the router and change the password and retry everything with the new password.

sligojoek wrote: »
    When you search for wifi, there should be a TP link xxxx 2.4g and TP link xxxx_ 5g option. Just going by my router's name but you should see something similar.

Maybe go into the router and change the password and retry everything with the new password.

I've been on a chat session with eir broadband. They tried a few different things but nothing seems to have worked. Frustrating because the phone was perfect until the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

NickyK wrote: »
    I've been on a chat session with eir broadband. They tried a few different things but nothing seems to have worked. Frustrating because the phone was perfect until the update.

Reset the phone to factory default?

NickyK wrote: »

there seems to be some issues with wifi after the pie update

1. issues with bluetooth and wifi being on at same time - I found this myself. had to turn off bluetooth unless needed to get full speed wifi, otherwise it was slow

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/help/bluetooth-wifi-conflict-pie-update-t3883829

2. lesser issue where person couldn't connect to some networks (one solution was to create separate open network with mac address access)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/help/android-pie-wifi-issue-t3884616

• Advertisement

hopefully these issues will be fixed with the next security update for android.

the other option is to go back to Oreo

I imagine that that would mean rooting phone and getting the old oreo image online and flashing it

hopefully these issues will be fixed with the next security update for android.

the other option is to go back to Oreo

I imagine that that would mean rooting phone and getting the old oreo image online and flashing it
    Thanks for your help. I'm pretty useless when it comes to phones. I had the IT guy from work check my modem using teamviewer. He just said the modem is old and there's no option to switch from 2.4 to 5. I got onto Eircom again for over an hour and they basically said they're 100% certain the problem is not on their end. My wife has a redmi note 6 pro which I believe works off 5Ghz and it works perfectly. I bought the phone from Amazon Spain and they say I can return it and get a refund. Not sure what to do.

Have you tried logging onto someone else's wifi?

sligojoek wrote: »
    Have you tried logging onto someone else's wifi?

Yes I've done that and the phone works ok. I've also done side by side at home with my wife's Xiaomi redmi note 6 pro and hers is fine while mine is not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

there seems to be some issues with wifi after the pie update

1. issues with bluetooth and wifi being on at same time - I found this myself. had to turn off bluetooth unless needed to get full speed wifi, otherwise it was slow

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/help/bluetooth-wifi-conflict-pie-update-t3883829

2. lesser issue where person couldn't connect to some networks (one solution was to create separate open network with mac address access)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/help/android-pie-wifi-issue-t3884616

Ive ordered one of these phones and looking forward to it. Getting worried about this now. So I assume its 8.1 out of the box?. So I think its probably best to just not to upgrade to PIE?.
    Is this happening to most/all people who go to PIE or just some?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I got mine on Friday - 4/32 version. It's actually done a few updates already since I started using it. Not a fan of where the google search bar has placed itself, must set aside some time to have a fiddle around with a different launcher. I'm enjoying the phone even if it does slow down quite a bit when launching some apps - mainly facebook but I'm teetering on the edge of dumping it anyway.

No connection issues here. I hardly ever use bluetooth, it's not on by default, so I can't comment on that one.

Thanks, I rarely if ever use Bluetooth so if that alongside wifi being on I think it wont be a problem. I should be receiving mine in the next couple of days judging on the tracking link I was given. Stage 6 in delivery.

theteal wrote: »
    I got mine on Friday - 4/32 version. It's actually done a few updates already since I started using it. Not a fan of where the google search bar has placed itself, must set aside some time to have a fiddle around with a different launcher. I'm enjoying the phone even if it does slow down quite a bit when launching some apps - mainly facebook but I'm teetering on the edge of dumping it anyway.

No connection issues here. I hardly ever use bluetooth, it's not on by default, so I can't comment on that one.

something like one of those lite facebook apps like simple or simple pro are much better than facebook and don't try and take over your whole phone.

the only thing that I have noticed is that there is some interference between wifi and bluetooth but it's not a huge issue unless you're constantly using a bluetooth device with wifi on at the same time. wifi still works but just can be slower.

one person here had an issue with his home wifi router not connecting after the pie update.

I'd still recommend the phone and I imagine that the bluetooth issue will be fixed in one of the security updates.

edit - with the january update the bluetooth wifi thing seems to be sorted on initial quick test.

I've been on pie for over a month now and no issues at all.

NickyK. Any luck since?

there's now a battery percentage display option with the january update - turn it on in battery settings

will appear at the top right of the notch

The low battery percentage pushes my WiFi symbol out of the available space. Coverage is patchy in my sh!tty new office so I need the WiFi symbol more than the battery - I have no fear of the battery, it's a solid 2 day-er which is a welcome change after the last few phone that have been thrust upon me.

The low battery percentage pushes my WiFi symbol out of the available space. Coverage is patchy in my sh!tty new office so I need the WiFi symbol more than the battery - I have no fear of the battery, it's a solid 2 day-er which is a welcome change after the last few phone that have been thrust upon me.

not for me I see - (from left to right) - wifi , phone voice reception, battery bar indicator, battery % indicator.

not for me I see - (from left to right) - wifi , phone voice reception, battery bar indicator, battery % indicator.

I've got two sims so two reception indicators and what I assume is an alarm clock symbol

I've got two sims so two reception indicators and what I assume is an alarm clock symbol

seems if you have an upcoming alarm it puts it in there also yep

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Phone updated to Pie without asking me!

One issue, when adjusting the volume with the physical rocker on the phone, it's only adjusting the media volume setting, not the ring volume.

Am I missing something obvious here? I can toggle the button that displays the ring settings of mute, vibrate and ring, but can't adjust the actual volume of ring without going fully into the settings menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Phone updated there during the week and had nothing but problems since. Whilst 4G data shows for calls can't get any WhatsApp or internet connection so had to use wi-fi. Also problem when try to connect to radio apps along with Bluetooth headphones. Starting to turn into an absolute pain and would love to revert back to previous version.

What's best thing to do to resolve this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

flugel wrote: »

One issue, when adjusting the volume with the physical rocker on the phone, it's only adjusting the media volume setting, not the ring volume.

Am I missing something obvious here? I can toggle the button that displays the ring settings of mute, vibrate and ring, but can't adjust the actual volume of ring without going fully into the settings menu

That's a feature of Pie that was requested by many. Im still 50/50 on whether it's good or bad. Have it on Nokia 7 plus since Oct/Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

mjp wrote: »
    Phone updated there during the week and had nothing but problems since. Whilst 4G data shows for calls can't get any WhatsApp or internet connection so had to use wi-fi. Also problem when try to connect to radio apps along with Bluetooth headphones. Starting to turn into an absolute pain and would love to revert back to previous version.

What's best thing to do to resolve this?

Might not be the same issue but my mam had a similar issue on hers.

To resolve I went into the area where the Access Points were set up. Put in the Eir settings again. Then toggled the new Access Points on and off and that worked. Phone started dinging with missed whatsapps

Hopefully that might work for you too

flugel wrote: »

personallly I LOVE this change. when you hit volume - bell icon at top will toggle silent / vibrate on ring

cog on bottom will bring you quickly to settings to change ring volume if needed.

I hated the default to ring volume in the past as 99% of the time I wanted to change media volume.

The phone arrived yesterday and am delighted with it. About 8 days from Hong Kong to the door(3 of them in Ireland).
    Just needed to change APN settings with 3 network i assume this is standard for phones from the east nowadays, I never had to do that before.

The one thing I cant get is a choice of notification and ringtone sounds for Whatsapp and phone. Im stuck on the default 'pixie dust' with nothing else to choose from other than custom .mp3 notifications.
    Tried to get some from playstore but cant intergrate them to choose from.

Would be nice to get a number on the message app other than a dot which is what we got used to, I suspect you can customise this but dont know how. Not an issue anyway like the lack of notification/ringtone is.

califano wrote: »
    The phone arrived yesterday and am delighted with it. About 8 days from Hong Kong to the door(3 of them in Ireland).
    Just needed to change APN settings with 3 network i assume this is standard for phones from the east nowadays, I never had to do that before.

The one thing I cant get is a choice of notification and ringtone sounds for Whatsapp and phone. Im stuck on the default 'pixie dust' with nothing else to choose from other than custom .mp3 notifications.

Would be nice to get a figure on the message app other than a number which is what we got used to, I suspect you can customise this but dont know how. Not an issue anyway like the lack of notification/ringtone is.

You could install Nova launcher which would allow for this.

GBX wrote: »
    You could install Nova launcher which would allow for this.

Thanks I will look at this. Meant to sat 'Other than a dot' (edited since in OP)but you get what I mean. Thanks.

Would be nice to get a number on the message app other than a dot which is what we got used to, I suspect you can customise this but dont know how. Not an issue anyway like the lack of notification/ringtone is.

You can definitely change this as I have a kind of "click" sound for my Whatsapp notifications. That pixie dust is a head wrecker and MrsTeal insists on keeping it on hers

You can definitely change this as I have a kind of "click" sound for my Whatsapp notifications. That pixie dust is a head wrecker and MrsTeal insists on keeping it on hers

I hope, but id like to find out how!. Tried googling but no luck.

You say you have a click sound.But is this also the only option you have?.

• Advertisement

I hope, but id like to find out how!. Tried googling but no luck.

You say you have a click sound.But is this also the only option you have?.

Nah, there's a list of options. In Whatsapp > 3dots (top righ) > Settings > notifications > Notification tone

Nah, there's a list of options. In Whatsapp > 3dots (top righ) > Settings > notifications > Notification tone

Yeah been there too often. This just brings me into 'audio files' where there is nothing. And no option to choose anything else.

Have you given Whatsapp permissions to storage so it can see the file sound you need?

Have you given Whatsapp permissions to storage so it can see the file sound you need?

Yeah in the app permission settings I have gives this permissions to storage. Its so strange.

GBX thanks very much. I had that permissions granted in the Whatsapp app but not in the sounds I installed from Playstore(or i didnt save properly). Im sorted nowbecause of your help. Thanks very much!.

My feelings on the phone are a bit mixed just now. It’s lagging in apps a lot. Also I’m not getting alerts from my Mi Home app which is quite serious as I rely on that for alarm alerts. The wife is still loving her one, no lagging apparently. I may just do a factory reset and hope for the best but for now I’ve had to suck it up and go back to an iPhone 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

My feelings on the phone are a bit mixed just now. It’s lagging in apps a lot. Also I’m not getting alerts from my Mi Home app which is quite serious as I rely on that for alarm alerts. The wife is still loving her one, no lagging apparently. I may just do a factory reset and hope for the best but for now I’ve had to suck it up and go back to an iPhone 7.

I think this could be down to the pie update, since the update my mi a1 is all over the place. When someone rings I answer and can speak to them but it's still ringing also my alarm carries on and can't turn it off without turning phone off, lots of lagging and freezing. All since I updated to pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I was going to buy one of these but is it gone a bit dodgy? if I buy now will it have update that seems to cause all the issues>

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pints?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I was going to buy one of these but is it gone a bit dodgy? if I buy now will it have update that seems to cause all the issues>

I haven't had any problems since the update that I've noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

I haven't had any issues since update. A factory reset sorts most issues on Android. Bit of a pain to back everything up but worth it if you are having issues.

I haven't had any issues either.

running smooth for me

• Advertisement

No issues here. However being a new virgin media customer with new virgin SIM I needed to configure the APN settings for the SIM to be able to communicate with Three,ie network(google virgin media APN settings). On this list Virgin have a list of things you need to follow but once you follow the instructions it's plain sailing . Not sure if this applies to other service providers but I've never had to do this before with any SIM so maybe it's just a thing you need to do with Virgin media because they are an affiliate of three.

No issues here. However being a new virgin media customer with new virgin SIM I needed to configure the APN settings for the SIM to be able to communicate with Three,ie network(google virgin media APN settings). On this list Virgin have a list of things you need to follow but once you follow the instructions it's plain sailing . Not sure if this applies to other service providers but I've never had to do this before with any SIM so maybe it's just a thing you need to do with Virgin media because they are an affiliate of three.

with a mobile virtual network operator (mvno) as opposed to an MNO (where the network is owned by the distributor) you have to put in the APN's I find.

Yeah, it's definitely not smooth, the likes of Fotmob football scores app takes a while to load but like I said, its the notifications for the house alarm issue that has currently relegated it to backup phone territory - I'm hating carrying two phones. I will do a factory reset at the weekend when I have some time.

Yeah, it's definitely not smooth, the likes of Fotmob football scores app takes a while to load but like I said, its the notifications for the house alarm issue that has currently relegated it to backup phone territory - I'm hating carrying two phones. I will do a factory reset at the weekend when I have some time.

runs fast for me with lots of apps on it.

do your reset asap I would say

One small inconvenience I found come to think of it was that my previous Anker mobile power supply didn't work right charging the phone. It charges but the screen keeps flickering on and off constantly. Also accompanied with a sound for each flicker. This is an older Anker however and a more recent Anker purchase powers it up without issue.

Overall though I'm finding it teriffic value for money.

runs fast for me with lots of apps on it.

do your reset asap I would say

I may have made a discovery. . . .

So I did the reset. Upon resetting up, it phone asked how I wanted to use the memory card (never asked that before), I chose the top option and it began formatting. Then after a minute I get an alert to tell me that my memory card is slow and may cause apps to have issues - news to me, it's a class 10 32gb card. Anyway, I tried that setting again and got same result the second time so opted for the bottom option instead (removable media iirc). Now I've not put all my apps back on it but I have to say the phone is unquestionably quicker than it was pre-reset/SD card change. I must test the alarm now but if that works and the speed stays as is, I would be very content with it's performance.

all cards seem to say class 10 but speeds are not equal and class 10 is actually pretty slow these days.

also the sd card is going to be a lot slower than the internal storage.

you can get an app to test the speeds on the play store - there should be lots of free ones to do so.

best to use the sd card for music, podcasts etc and not apps if possible

did you cheap out and buy the 32gb version of the phone :pac: ?

if there is not much in the price difference always worth going for at least 64gb as internal storage is going to be better than sd cards (especially cheap ones - class 10 is not that fast really).

also internal storage has other advantages over sd cards besides speed.

class 10 card definition is 10mb/s

i just did a test on the a2 lite internal storage there - 272 mb/s read and 203 mb/s write (sequential read and write)

if you're going to get a decent memory card something above class 10 like a sandisk ultra is a better option.

Yup I got the 4/32 version, more than enough for my needs, equals any previous phones I've had. Just had the card spare so I threw her in. Anyway, it's all for naught. The notifications/alerts for the Mi Home app just do not work on this phone, that's the deal breaker. Must test the wife's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

Got this phone for my parents (32gb) and have not given it to them yet, birthdays incoming soon.

I got it with the 2 pin plug and looking to get a 3 pin charger that will work with this. They both currently have Samsung’s so would these work or would anyone recommend any online?

Also how is the camera on this ? I was going to unlock the bootloader and put the goggle camera but is it worth it for parents whose phone is just full of pictures of their grandchildren:)Parents will just use it for Calls, texting, WhatsApp, Gmail, Internet Instagram and taking pictures, nothing out of the ordinary. I can set it up so apps update automatically and should the phone require updates i.e. to PIE etc. I can sort that out . I want all of the pictures apps to go onto the memory card so to save space easily done?

All phones I have are rooted so I can get the bloat ware off etc. and to put add blocker on it. However I believe little bloatware on this so no need to root and can add Blokada and also put it into developer mode should I wish to add apps not on the play store.

Hi

Got this phone for my parents (32gb) and have not given it to them yet, birthdays incoming soon.

I got it with the 2 pin plug and looking to get a 3 pin charger that will work with this. They both currently have Samsung’s so would these work or would anyone recommend any online?

Also how is the camera on this ? I was going to unlock the bootloader and put the goggle camera but is it worth it for parents whose phone is just full of pictures of their grandchildren:)Parents will just use it for Calls, texting, WhatsApp, Gmail, Internet Instagram and taking pictures, nothing out of the ordinary. I can set it up so apps update automatically and should the phone require updates i.e. to PIE etc. I can sort that out . I want all of the pictures apps to go onto the memory card so to save space easily done?

All phones I have are rooted so I can get the bloat ware off etc. and to put add blocker on it. However I believe little bloatware on this so no need to root and can add Blokada and also put it into developer mode should I wish to add apps not on the play store.

Their current chargers will work fine.

Daytime camera is perfectly fine. When the light starts fading, it's close to useless tbh. I don't know about the pics going to the card, I'd guess it's easily done, it's a fairly standard option I would think. I use the Google Photos app these days, unlimited storage and accessible online/anywhere.

This is the first phone I've had that I've not rooted (yet). There's little to no bloat, maybe a few google/xiaomi apps that I'll never use e.g. Duo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement