Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi mi a2 lite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I ordered the 4gb/64gb model from eglobal last week for ~165.
    Its gone up by about €5 since I ordered, didn't wait for Black Friday deals, ordered earlier in d week.
    Waiting on delivery this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Got my Mi A2 Lite 4gb 64gb model delivered from HK Goldway for €169 in 7 days.
    No extra fees.

Sorry for similar post to the "chinese phones" thread.

But this is for my review about the A2 Lite phone.

Current impressions, so smooth, nice and fast - compared what I was used to in the S4 Mini.
    The fingerprint scanner works a treat.

Just testing things out, to get used to it at the moment.
    A better review will come in a few days.

Android pie official update has been released for this phone.

not being distributed in Ireland yet (does Ireland always seem to be the last country for this....)

you can install it using a free vpn and by clearing the data on some apps and taking out sim card.

read through here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/beta-upgrade-to-android-9-beta-pie-vpn-t3872694

comes with an fm radio built-in in pie.

I haven't done it yet but will give it a go

With the first charge I got...

I had 3 full days, and 6 hours of screen time.

I mainly used the phone for web surfing with wifi and vpn on all the time (apart from the night, when I turned everything off and battery saver on).
    A few games, and testing other functions out to see if the phone fully worked. Yes it did.

I really like this new smartphone for me.

Glad I switched from an old S4 Mini.

Night and day differences.

And Android One really makes a super change :D.

+1 to Xiaomi for me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

glasso wrote: »
    Android pie official update has been released for this phone.

not being distributed in Ireland yet (does Ireland always seem to be the last country for this....)

you can install it using a free vpn and by clearing the data on some apps and taking out sim card.

read through here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/beta-upgrade-to-android-9-beta-pie-vpn-t3872694

Any Idea when it's being officially released here? Did a quick google but just found reviews by tech journos using Google phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

theShire wrote: »
    I ordered the 4gb/64gb model from eglobal last week for ~165.
    Its gone up by about €5 since I ordered, didn't wait for Black Friday deals, ordered earlier in d week.
    Waiting on delivery this week.

I got the same one, ordered 26th, their shipment tracking says An Post will deliver but the tracking number doesn't work.

Can I ask you did you get yours yet, how long was delivery?

Was it An Post?

Thanks

davidm20 wrote: »
    I got the same one, ordered 26th, their shipment tracking says An Post will deliver but the tracking number doesn't work.

Was it An Post?

Thanks

It might take a day for it t come up. Once An Post have it you should have it the next day.

Aye, An Post tracking only starts, once it is in their system, ie in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I got one for my teenage daughter .. just arrived today ..looks like a lovely phone .. nice blue global version from amazon .. she is going to be thrilled with it, comes with a clear case .. which is nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bought one of these yesterday as a second phone, it's going to replace my aging, and increasingly sluggish note 3 (primary phone s7)

Only copped today that it's dual sim.

Anyway, few questions.

Has this the same usb port as my s7?

Will it quick charge?

Lastly, I'm not entirely familiar with the workings of dual sim phones. I mean, could I in theory just take one phone with me (if say on holiday) with both sims inserted, and people could get me on either number by just calling me? Same thing with texts etc?

Or do I have to manually select in a setting - (eg) sim1/sim 2?

Can't see how it would work otherwise tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Blueandgold88

The Haven wrote:
    Amazon UK have the A2 Lite 3gb 32b at £129.99 today. The 4gb 64b version still at £180.

Ordered 2 weeks ago and still delivery date pending on Amazon. Anyone else having the same issue? Worried it won't be back in stock

Bought one of these yesterday as a second phone, it's going to replace my aging, and increasingly sluggish note 3 (primary phone s7)

Only copped today that it's dual sim.

Anyway, few questions.

Has this the same usb port as my s7?

Will it quick charge?

Lastly, I'm not entirely familiar with the workings of dual sim phones. I mean, could I in theory just take one phone with me (if say on holiday) with both sims inserted, and people could get me on either number by just calling me? Same thing with texts etc?

Or do I have to manually select in a setting - (eg) sim1/sim 2?

Can't see how it would work otherwise tbh.

doesn't have quick charge but charges fully in 2 hours which is ok considering the big battery and the long battery life

has the same micro usb port as s7

both sim card are active and can receive calls and text but when one is busy for voice e.g. on a call you can't use the other one to get a call at the same time

can set data priority on one over the other e.g. could be say in the us and have data working off a local sim card

Ordered 2 weeks ago and still delivery date pending on Amazon. Anyone else having the same issue? Worried it won't be back in stock

yes I ordered one there as a gift and still no word on it being sent out.

balls-up by amazon and I'm seeing delays on other items also.

should have just ordered another one on eglobal instead.

davidm20 wrote: »

Was it An Post?

Thanks

I received it on Monday (3rd Dec) after ordering on 20th Nov.
    AnPost had it Friday, so I got it next working day.
    All-in-all it took close to 10 working days.

I haven't had time to set it up fully yet but I did the update to Android Pie first thing, side loaded Speedify, set region to Poland and update came up right away

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

doesn't have quick charge but charges fully in 2 hours which is ok considering the big battery and the long battery life

has the same micro usb port as s7

both sim card are active and can receive calls and text but when one is busy for voice e.g. on a call you can't use the other one to get a call at the same time

can set data priority on one over the other e.g. could be say in the us and have data working off a local sim card

Deadly.

Sounds like walking around with 2 x phones at the weekend may be a thing of the past.

another thing that I like on this phone is the speaker which is good and loud.

great for listening to podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ordered the 64gb last Thursday night on amazon.se, €168, arrived this morning in my PM. Price is fluctuating all the time, I got it at 1am. Next morning was back up to €190.

read through here

I received it on Monday (3rd Dec) after ordering on 20th Nov.
    AnPost had it Friday, so I got it next working day.
    All-in-all it took close to 10 working days.

I haven't had time to set it up fully yet but I did the update to Android Pie first thing, side loaded Speedify, set region to Poland and update came up right away
    Do I have to do what's bolded in glasso's post as well?

sligojoek wrote: »

if you've been using the phone yes.

if you've being used the phone yes.

Thanks. I've had mine over a month now. I had a look at that forum last night and thought the process is a bit fiddly for me. Afraid if I did anything wrong I'd brick it. I might wait til the official release here. Do you think it will take long?

By the way, Xiaomi should be paying you commission. As you know, my OH and I got two on your recommendation. Since then my brother, my brother in law, and two friends have got them with a bit of pushing from me. The only complaint they all have is that the camera isn't great in bad light. The dual sim was the deal breaker for three of them.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I've had mine over a month now. I had a look at that forum last night and thought the process is a bit fiddly for me. Afraid if I did anything wrong I'd brick it. I might wait til the official release here. Do you think it will take long?

By the way, Xiaomi should be paying you commission. As you know, my OH and I got two on your recommendation. Since then my brother, my brother in law, and two friends have got them with a bit of pushing from me. The only complaint they all have is that the camera isn't great in bad light. The dual sim was the deal breaker for three of them.

that is the official update - it's just a way of getting it now instead of waiting until who knows when for it to become available in Ireland. no danger of bricking the phone.

no haha just think that it's a great phone.

you can get good low-light pics out of it by enabling camera2 api and putting google camera app on it - a version with night sight.

pretty amazing results. see vid below. that's a pixel 3 but amazing on the a2 lite even.

https://youtu.be/lOznY7cU8js?t=61

I hadn't set up any of my google account on the phone prior to that or inserted a SIM

Literally, unbox, device on, connected to WiFi, think I did an update for Android 8 first, after that i copied VPN app using Bluetooth & installed it. Set it to Poland, then check for updates and Android Pie was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anyone who has this phone for a couple of months, how are they finding the battery life. Mine seems to have dis-improved a bit. Could be a rogue app, but can't seem to figure out if it is or not. Like it'll still pretty much last a day on decent usage but previously I didn't even have to check the battery as I knew it would be above 30% no matter what the use.

I hadn't set up any of my google account on the phone prior to that or inserted a SIM

Literally, unbox, device on, connected to WiFi, think I did an update for Android 8 first, after that i copied VPN app using Bluetooth & installed it. Set it to Poland, then check for updates and Android Pie was available.

It didn't work for me with Poland - had to set it to Indonesia.

you might need to try the process a few times to get the update to start.

when it starts downloading you can pause it, uninstall the vpn app (to stop vpn) and resume to finish it.

like the new android pie navigation method (full-screen gesture) but one thing that doesn't seem to be working well / properly is the adaptive brigthness.
    it's been changed to some AI method so maybe it will get better as it learns your usage but not great imo right now

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

that is the official update - it's just a way of getting it now instead of waiting until who knows when for it to become available in Ireland. no danger of bricking the phone.

no haha just think that it's a great phone.

you can get good low-light pics out of it by enabling camera2 api and putting google camera app on it - a version with night sight.

pretty amazing results. see vid below. that's a pixel 3 but amazing on the a2 lite even.

https://youtu.be/lOznY7cU8js?t=61

@Glasso do you know do i have to root phone for that, i know i wasnt able to do it on the redmi 5 plus, i'm guessing this is different due to the stock android?

adaephon wrote: »
    @Glasso do you know do i have to root phone for that, i know i wasnt able to do it on the redmi 5 plus, i'm guessing this is different due to the stock android?

you don't have to root the phone - you need to unlock the bootloader and then you lock it back again. (if your bootloader is unlocked apps like banking apps or work email won't work due to a security check)

I found instructions on xda

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/guide-how-to-enable-camera2-api-t3851414

it should work fine - the only risk is that there is one bit where you need to hold a volume key down and if you don't do it properly it will factory reset the phone i.e. apps and data gone. so you'd have to install your apps again

but no root required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Can anyone recommend a wallet case?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DL9QJMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this one.

Also search Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro. They're the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

you don't have to root the phone - you need to unlock the bootloader and then you lock it back again. (if your bootloader is unlocked apps like banking apps or work email won't work due to a security check)

I found instructions on xda

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/guide-how-to-enable-camera2-api-t3851414

it should work fine - the only risk is that there is one bit where you need to hold a volume key down and if you don't do it properly it will factory reset the phone i.e. apps and data gone. so you'd have to install your apps again

but no root required.

Any idea what to do if you have already moved to pie using the Poland technique??

Thanks
    W

Advertisement