Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi mi a2 lite

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/help/bad-screen-casting-android-auto-t3829207/amp/
    Word of warning about this phone re: android auto. Issues well highlighted regarding incompatibility. I was on the verge of buying but stopped when I learned of this as I use my Moto G3 with Android auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Just got the 3/32 version of the A2 lite on Amazon for £118 (lRL Vat). They have blue in stock, black on order.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Got around to playing with this today, jesus for a €160 phone it's a great little thing!

The main drawback is the camera but, to be expected at the price point. Still decent under good lighting.

One little thing that annoyed me is the lack of NFC, I didn't fully read the specs but assumed it would be on it.

if you're not afraid to do a bit of messing put the google camera night sight version on it - amazing even on this phone - can take pictures in the dark pretty much.

you need to enable camera2 api - search xda mi a2 lite camera2 api to find out how to do it

then install a google camera app with night sight

Mr.S wrote: »
    Nice! Will give it a go.

Still amazed by the feel / screen on this phone, bar the camera it really feels like a phone thats double the price.

yes it's really well built, looks modern, runs really smooth on clean android without bloat apps you don't want and the screen is very good. the blue version works really well imo - much better than the black one and the camera is not awful by any means - especially if you upgrade the capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Been looking at this and the Nokia 6.1 similar price and spec baring battery. Bought the 6.1 for the mother a few months back and it's a nice phone very decent camera. Battery is lacking compared to mi a2 lite though.

How bad is the camera on the a2 life? It's going to be a work phone and I'd need a good battery and decent enough camera for video etc.

video has decent software stabilisation at 1080p

camera is not awful - it's decent except at night/ poor light.

here's a camera gallery of pictures taken with the phone - click to expand. judge for yourself

https://www.kimovil.com/en/xiaomi-mi-a2-lite/camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

ordered the 4gb version from eglobal on friday for €154 but got an email this morning saying they are refunding me .

anyone know where else it can be got for similar money i see them on amazon but they are 200 sterling around €225.

check amazon es and amazon it for cheaper alternatives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The Haven wrote: »
    check amazon es and amazon it for cheaper alternatives

4gb went from €160 last week to €199 on Black Friday. Hasn't moved since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I ordered the 4gb/64gb model from eglobal last week for ~165.
    Its gone up by about €5 since I ordered, didn't wait for Black Friday deals, ordered earlier in d week.
    Waiting on delivery this week.

Got my Mi A2 Lite 4gb 64gb model delivered from HK Goldway for €169 in 7 days.
    No extra fees.

Sorry for similar post to the "chinese phones" thread.

But this is for my review about the A2 Lite phone.

Current impressions, so smooth, nice and fast - compared what I was used to in the S4 Mini.
    The fingerprint scanner works a treat.

Just testing things out, to get used to it at the moment.
    A better review will come in a few days.

Android pie official update has been released for this phone.

not being distributed in Ireland yet (does Ireland always seem to be the last country for this....)

you can install it using a free vpn and by clearing the data on some apps and taking out sim card.

read through here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/beta-upgrade-to-android-9-beta-pie-vpn-t3872694

comes with an fm radio built-in in pie.

I haven't done it yet but will give it a go

With the first charge I got...

I had 3 full days, and 6 hours of screen time.

I mainly used the phone for web surfing with wifi and vpn on all the time (apart from the night, when I turned everything off and battery saver on).
    A few games, and testing other functions out to see if the phone fully worked. Yes it did.

I really like this new smartphone for me.

Glad I switched from an old S4 Mini.

Night and day differences.

And Android One really makes a super change :D.

+1 to Xiaomi for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

glasso wrote: »
    Android pie official update has been released for this phone.

not being distributed in Ireland yet (does Ireland always seem to be the last country for this....)

you can install it using a free vpn and by clearing the data on some apps and taking out sim card.

read through here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/beta-upgrade-to-android-9-beta-pie-vpn-t3872694

Any Idea when it's being officially released here? Did a quick google but just found reviews by tech journos using Google phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

theShire wrote: »
    I ordered the 4gb/64gb model from eglobal last week for ~165.
    Its gone up by about €5 since I ordered, didn't wait for Black Friday deals, ordered earlier in d week.
    Waiting on delivery this week.

I got the same one, ordered 26th, their shipment tracking says An Post will deliver but the tracking number doesn't work.

Can I ask you did you get yours yet, how long was delivery?

Was it An Post?

Thanks

davidm20 wrote: »
    I got the same one, ordered 26th, their shipment tracking says An Post will deliver but the tracking number doesn't work.

Was it An Post?

Thanks

It might take a day for it t come up. Once An Post have it you should have it the next day.

Aye, An Post tracking only starts, once it is in their system, ie in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

I got one for my teenage daughter .. just arrived today ..looks like a lovely phone .. nice blue global version from amazon .. she is going to be thrilled with it, comes with a clear case .. which is nice touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bought one of these yesterday as a second phone, it's going to replace my aging, and increasingly sluggish note 3 (primary phone s7)

Only copped today that it's dual sim.

Anyway, few questions.

Has this the same usb port as my s7?

Will it quick charge?

Lastly, I'm not entirely familiar with the workings of dual sim phones. I mean, could I in theory just take one phone with me (if say on holiday) with both sims inserted, and people could get me on either number by just calling me? Same thing with texts etc?

Or do I have to manually select in a setting - (eg) sim1/sim 2?

Can't see how it would work otherwise tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Blueandgold88

The Haven wrote:
    Amazon UK have the A2 Lite 3gb 32b at £129.99 today. The 4gb 64b version still at £180.

Ordered 2 weeks ago and still delivery date pending on Amazon. Anyone else having the same issue? Worried it won't be back in stock

Bought one of these yesterday as a second phone, it's going to replace my aging, and increasingly sluggish note 3 (primary phone s7)

Only copped today that it's dual sim.

Anyway, few questions.

Has this the same usb port as my s7?

Will it quick charge?

Lastly, I'm not entirely familiar with the workings of dual sim phones. I mean, could I in theory just take one phone with me (if say on holiday) with both sims inserted, and people could get me on either number by just calling me? Same thing with texts etc?

Or do I have to manually select in a setting - (eg) sim1/sim 2?

Can't see how it would work otherwise tbh.

doesn't have quick charge but charges fully in 2 hours which is ok considering the big battery and the long battery life

has the same micro usb port as s7

both sim card are active and can receive calls and text but when one is busy for voice e.g. on a call you can't use the other one to get a call at the same time

can set data priority on one over the other e.g. could be say in the us and have data working off a local sim card

Ordered 2 weeks ago and still delivery date pending on Amazon. Anyone else having the same issue? Worried it won't be back in stock

yes I ordered one there as a gift and still no word on it being sent out.

balls-up by amazon and I'm seeing delays on other items also.

should have just ordered another one on eglobal instead.

davidm20 wrote: »

Was it An Post?

Thanks

I received it on Monday (3rd Dec) after ordering on 20th Nov.
    AnPost had it Friday, so I got it next working day.
    All-in-all it took close to 10 working days.

I haven't had time to set it up fully yet but I did the update to Android Pie first thing, side loaded Speedify, set region to Poland and update came up right away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

doesn't have quick charge but charges fully in 2 hours which is ok considering the big battery and the long battery life

has the same micro usb port as s7

both sim card are active and can receive calls and text but when one is busy for voice e.g. on a call you can't use the other one to get a call at the same time

can set data priority on one over the other e.g. could be say in the us and have data working off a local sim card

Deadly.

Sounds like walking around with 2 x phones at the weekend may be a thing of the past.

another thing that I like on this phone is the speaker which is good and loud.

great for listening to podcasts.

Ordered the 64gb last Thursday night on amazon.se, €168, arrived this morning in my PM. Price is fluctuating all the time, I got it at 1am. Next morning was back up to €190.

read through here

I received it on Monday (3rd Dec) after ordering on 20th Nov.
    AnPost had it Friday, so I got it next working day.
    All-in-all it took close to 10 working days.

I haven't had time to set it up fully yet but I did the update to Android Pie first thing, side loaded Speedify, set region to Poland and update came up right away
    Do I have to do what's bolded in glasso's post as well?

sligojoek wrote: »

if you've been using the phone yes.

if you've being used the phone yes.

Thanks. I've had mine over a month now. I had a look at that forum last night and thought the process is a bit fiddly for me. Afraid if I did anything wrong I'd brick it. I might wait til the official release here. Do you think it will take long?

By the way, Xiaomi should be paying you commission. As you know, my OH and I got two on your recommendation. Since then my brother, my brother in law, and two friends have got them with a bit of pushing from me. The only complaint they all have is that the camera isn't great in bad light. The dual sim was the deal breaker for three of them.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I've had mine over a month now. I had a look at that forum last night and thought the process is a bit fiddly for me. Afraid if I did anything wrong I'd brick it. I might wait til the official release here. Do you think it will take long?

By the way, Xiaomi should be paying you commission. As you know, my OH and I got two on your recommendation. Since then my brother, my brother in law, and two friends have got them with a bit of pushing from me. The only complaint they all have is that the camera isn't great in bad light. The dual sim was the deal breaker for three of them.

that is the official update - it's just a way of getting it now instead of waiting until who knows when for it to become available in Ireland. no danger of bricking the phone.

no haha just think that it's a great phone.

you can get good low-light pics out of it by enabling camera2 api and putting google camera app on it - a version with night sight.

pretty amazing results. see vid below. that's a pixel 3 but amazing on the a2 lite even.

https://youtu.be/lOznY7cU8js?t=61

I hadn't set up any of my google account on the phone prior to that or inserted a SIM

Literally, unbox, device on, connected to WiFi, think I did an update for Android 8 first, after that i copied VPN app using Bluetooth & installed it. Set it to Poland, then check for updates and Android Pie was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anyone who has this phone for a couple of months, how are they finding the battery life. Mine seems to have dis-improved a bit. Could be a rogue app, but can't seem to figure out if it is or not. Like it'll still pretty much last a day on decent usage but previously I didn't even have to check the battery as I knew it would be above 30% no matter what the use.

I hadn't set up any of my google account on the phone prior to that or inserted a SIM

Literally, unbox, device on, connected to WiFi, think I did an update for Android 8 first, after that i copied VPN app using Bluetooth & installed it. Set it to Poland, then check for updates and Android Pie was available.

It didn't work for me with Poland - had to set it to Indonesia.

you might need to try the process a few times to get the update to start.

when it starts downloading you can pause it, uninstall the vpn app (to stop vpn) and resume to finish it.

like the new android pie navigation method (full-screen gesture) but one thing that doesn't seem to be working well / properly is the adaptive brigthness.
    it's been changed to some AI method so maybe it will get better as it learns your usage but not great imo right now

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

that is the official update - it's just a way of getting it now instead of waiting until who knows when for it to become available in Ireland. no danger of bricking the phone.

no haha just think that it's a great phone.

you can get good low-light pics out of it by enabling camera2 api and putting google camera app on it - a version with night sight.

pretty amazing results. see vid below. that's a pixel 3 but amazing on the a2 lite even.

https://youtu.be/lOznY7cU8js?t=61

@Glasso do you know do i have to root phone for that, i know i wasnt able to do it on the redmi 5 plus, i'm guessing this is different due to the stock android?

adaephon wrote: »
    @Glasso do you know do i have to root phone for that, i know i wasnt able to do it on the redmi 5 plus, i'm guessing this is different due to the stock android?

you don't have to root the phone - you need to unlock the bootloader and then you lock it back again. (if your bootloader is unlocked apps like banking apps or work email won't work due to a security check)

I found instructions on xda

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/guide-how-to-enable-camera2-api-t3851414

it should work fine - the only risk is that there is one bit where you need to hold a volume key down and if you don't do it properly it will factory reset the phone i.e. apps and data gone. so you'd have to install your apps again

but no root required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Can anyone recommend a wallet case?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DL9QJMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this one.

Also search Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro. They're the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

you don't have to root the phone - you need to unlock the bootloader and then you lock it back again. (if your bootloader is unlocked apps like banking apps or work email won't work due to a security check)

I found instructions on xda

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/how-to/guide-how-to-enable-camera2-api-t3851414

it should work fine - the only risk is that there is one bit where you need to hold a volume key down and if you don't do it properly it will factory reset the phone i.e. apps and data gone. so you'd have to install your apps again

but no root required.

Any idea what to do if you have already moved to pie using the Poland technique??

Thanks
    W

Hi. Ordered the 3/32 gb version of this phone on Amazon as a Christmas present on the Black Friday deal. Got an email to say there was a delivery delay, then Tonight one to say it was being returned to Amazon and I would get a refund. I don't believe any delivery attempt was made. Before I contact Amazon, anyone know how these things usually go and what are my options now?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi. Ordered the 3/32 gb version of this phone on Amazon as a Christmas present on the Black Friday deal. Got an email to say there was a delivery delay, then Tonight one to say it was being returned to Amazon and I would get a refund. I don't believe any delivery attempt was made. Before I contact Amazon, anyone know how these things usually go and what are my options now?

don't know - they might just give you something like a free month of amazon prime - that's about it I would say.

you "should" get it for the same price if you ordered right now from eglobal (usually max 10 days but the way christmas falls could be risky)

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-3gb-32gb-dual-sim-black.html

else honorbuy for a more expensive price but 2/3 day delivery

I was also buying one as a gift on that day and used amazon as thought that it would be quicker but only got it yesterday. I'm guessing that they got too many orders and have run out of stock

donegal. wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a wallet case?

Picked up this one, actually going to buy a spare. Very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DUX-DUCIS-Premium-Kickstand-Shockproof/dp/B07FNG2WCV

don't know - they might just give you something like a free month of amazon prime - that's about it I would say.

you "should" get it for the same price if you ordered right now from eglobal (usually max 10 days but the way christmas falls could be risky)

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-3gb-32gb-dual-sim-black.html

else honorbuy for a more expensive price but 2/3 day delivery

I was also buying one as a gift on that day and used amazon as thought that it would be quicker but only got it yesterday. I'm guessing that they got too many orders and have run out of stock

It's for my wife for Christmas, but she would get over not getting it ASAP. I will try Amazon. Thing is I bought a cover and screen protector from them too and got them. Bit like a garage giving me the mud flaps and feck you when it comes to the car I bought.

Now what your saying sounds right to me. I also reckon they had no stock, but gave a tracking number and are now blaming the courier. When it seems it never made it past label print. I'd say they have stock but not willing to part with it at the lower price.

I guess I will be all nicey nicey with them to see if I can hit on their Christmas spirit.

gooner99 wrote: »
    It's for my wife for Christmas, but she would get over not getting it ASAP. I will try Amazon. Thing is I bought a cover and screen protector from them too and got them. Bit like a garage giving me the mud flaps and feck you when it comes to the car I bought.

Now what your saying sounds right to me. I also reckon they had no stock, but gave a tracking number and are now blaming the courier. When it seems it never made it past label print. I'd say they have stock but not willing to part with it at the lower price.

I guess I will be all nicey nicey with them to see if I can hit on their Christmas spirit.

let us know how you get on and if they give you anything.

for whatever reason Amazon deliveries have been a balls up this year - most things that I ordered were delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Blueandgold88

let us know how you get on and if they give you anything.

for whatever reason Amazon deliveries have been a balls up this year - most things that I ordered were delayed.

Same thing happened me this morning and i contacted chat through the app. I have spent the last hour going through the issue. They would not offer a replacement for ages and eventually when they realised i wasn't going anywhere they offered 55 pound off the reorder to bring it down to where it was when initially ordered on Nov. 23rd. Scheduled to be delivered by the 20th now but i wont hold my breath. Still hanging on to try and get quicker delivery but dont think that is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

I reordered a second one of these when the price dropped to £115 on Black Friday. They have both now arrived and was intending on sending the one bought originally for £135 back to amazon for a refund. Before i do that i am happy to pass it on here to anyone that might need one, at cost which worked out at c.€160. Based in Dublin. PM me if interested.

Any idea what to do if you have already moved to pie using the Poland technique??

Thanks
    W

you do the same procedure to enable camera2 api. doesn't matter what version you're on.

follow the xda instructions linked - just be careful of the bit about not holding the volume button or your apps and data will be reset

you'd still remain on pie even if that happened

Battery life on this is amazing so far - 4/64 version bought from eglobal.
    Off charge since 7am Monday(Dec 10th) and now hitting 15%, battery saver kicking in.
    That's 60+ hours since charge with 9 hours screen-on!
    And it's estimating another 10hours remaining.
    Obviously I'll be charging overnite but 2+ days battery life makes this a fantastic phone for my needs anyways.

Everyone else happy with theirs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

theShire can you tell me how long that shipping was from eglobal? They don't seem to have any option for express shipping yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement