Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

red flags

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I can't stand those fcukers who store poo in the freezer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Puking in the kitchen sink and not unblocking it. Storing poo in the freezer. Mashing spiders into a very fine paste. Picking their toes. Pulling dead skin off their feet and flicking it into the unlit fireplace. Scratching their piles. Biting off bit of toenails. Using kitchen knives to cut hardened skin off their feet.
    You need new flatmates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Puking in the kitchen sink and not unblocking it. Storing poo in the freezer. Mashing spiders into a very fine paste. Picking their toes. Pulling dead skin off their feet and flicking it into the unlit fireplace. Scratching their piles. Biting off bit of toenails. Using kitchen knives to cut hardened skin off their feet.

For better or for worse

1.People who expect their views to be treated seriously when they haven't the work ethic to spend the two or three minutes of their life necessary to know the basics of the language they're speaking. Lazy people, in other words.
    2. People who don't know the difference between Your (possessive case - e.g. your house) and You're (You are!!!!!)
    3. People who think "It's" is a possessive case. It's = it is. Always! It's raining, it's pouring, it's snowing.... Your possessive case is a simple "its" - its windows; its properties; its grammatical exigencies. No apostrophe!
    4. They're = They are (always). Their (possessive case) - e.g. their coats. There - e.g. over there.
    5. I/you/they/we saw but I/you/they/we have (we've) seen. I/you/they/we seen ==> wrong!!!
    6. I/you/they/we did but I/you/they/we have done. I/you/they/we done==> wrong!!!
    7. People who get all defensive when crap spelling and syntax is seen for the sign of laziness that it is.

5 and 6 in particular are the biggest red flags in spoken English about a person's education and lack of work ethic. It doesn't look good at all, and most people notice even if they're too polite to say it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Men who must have to powder their legs just to get their jeans on, and love showing off their ankles. Same with suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

r u sum1 i no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

When an art director starts having ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Girls who drink Buckfast for breakfast..
    Ahem Gwen !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Lazy people, in other words.

As a general rule sentences without a verb are incomplete sentences (sentence fragments).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Indeed.
    Those bastards who don't use notebooks or diaries? I hear ya! :mad:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,461 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people who blame the government for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

1.People who expect their views to be treated seriously when they haven't the work ethic to spend the two or three minutes of their life necessary to know the basics of the language they're speaking. Lazy people, in other words.
    2. People who don't know the difference between Your (possessive case - e.g. your house) and You're (You are!!!!!)
    3. People who think "It's" is a possessive case. It's = it is. Always! It's raining, it's pouring, it's snowing.... Your possessive case is a simple "its" - its windows; its properties; its grammatical exigencies. No apostrophe!
    4. They're = They are (always). Their (possessive case) - e.g. their coats. There - e.g. over there.
    5. I/you/they/we saw but I/you/they/we have (we've) seen. I/you/they/we seen ==> wrong!!!
    6. I/you/they/we did but I/you/they/we have done. I/you/they/we done==> wrong!!!
    7. People who get all defensive when crap spelling and syntax is seen for the sign of laziness that it is.

5 and 6 in particular are the biggest red flags in spoken English about a person's education and lack of work ethic. It doesn't look good at all, and most people notice even if they're too polite to say it to you.

There their, it's ok

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Passing casual derogratory remarks on other people - you can be sure they will do the same to you in the company of others.

Intolerant of minorities. Being a know-all. Being a gossip. Poor personal hygiene. Talking about themselves all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,461 ✭✭✭pgj2015

women who go for bad boys.

Let's/let us/lets say for example that you came across a person who didn't have the best grasp when it comes to your/you're etc but they were kind and decent human beings. Would you cast aside what's underneath because their grammar was/is terrible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

TBF, first post thats a bit of a red flag itself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Let's/let us/lets say for example that you came across a person who didn't have the best grasp when it comes to your/you're etc but they were kind and decent human beings. Would you cast aside what's underneath because their grammar was/is terrible?

I'd find it very hard not to judge unless there's a specific learning disability.
    That is a reason to dislike me, but at least I appreciate the irony.

TBF, first post thats a bit of a red flag itself!

See point 7 above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

And bootcut jeans.

Skinny jeans.

See point 7 above.

What if their just tick rather then lazy?

Its a bit like saying people too lazy to do their own differential calculus is a red flag

• Advertisement

I could of being ticked off too.

If they were looking for a job where they'd be representing the company their application form wouldn't even get them to the interview stage. How would you even gently say to somebody 'I have to proofread your letter for the "I seen" and "We done" stuff before you send it out on company-headed paper?' You couldn't, so just ditch the application and get somebody who can do that sort of thing as part of their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'd find it very hard not to judge unless there's a specific learning disability.
    That is a reason to dislike me, but at least I appreciate the irony.

You're not always going to know if there's a specific learning disability, though, are you? Older adults who never had dyslexia diagnosed when at school often have trouble with the grammatical errors you pointed out. Just trying to read and write coherently and keep up were a struggle.

If they were looking for a job where they'd be representing the company their application form wouldn't even get them to the interview stage. How would you even gently say to somebody 'I have to proofread your letter for the "I seen" and "We done" stuff before you send it out on company-headed paper?' You couldn't, so just ditch the application and get somebody who can do that sort of thing as part of their job.

Youre only disliking them, not giving them a job!

You obviously haven't received much correspondence from recruitment agencies! I once returned a rejection email with the (many) grammar mistakes corrected.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Skinny jeans.

Dont mind trying to open a second front to relieve pressure in the other thread where boot cut jeans have been soundly trounced

They may indeed be spectacularly thick if they can't master a few basic sentences, but they're definitely lazy.
    Its a bit like saying people too lazy to do their own differential calculus is a red flag

No; no, it's not.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You're not always going to know if there's a specific learning disability, though, are you? Older adults who never hxad dyslexia diagnosed when at school often have trouble with the grammatical errors you pointed out. Just trying to read and write coherently and keep up were a struggle.

With dyslexia there would be more spelling and grammatical errors to the ones highlighted in that post.

As I've said, I'm pedantic, and it's a negative trait. But hey, I've enough self-awareness to recognise that.

They may indeed be spectacularly thick if they can't master a few basic sentences, but they're definitely lazy.

No; no, it's not.

"Its" all relative.
    You'll always meet people smarter snd more educated; thicker and less educated; and smarter and less educated.
    Poor grammar isn't necessarily laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A fake Kardashian type smile (mouth only eyes dead) for .5 second as they say hello.

• Advertisement

Poor grammar isn't necessarily laziness.

When it's something as common as the above 6 mistakes, in the vast majority of cases it is laziness.
    Youre only disliking them, not giving them a job!

Red flags exist with employees too, you know? Being unable to spell or talk properly is a red flag because you want your clients to be able to trust your company's work rate/product, and somebody who's still saying "He done" and "They seen" isn't somebody who shows signs of a solid work ethic/much professional development. They may be among the nicest people in the world, but if you can find an equally nice person who can represent the company more professionally then they will lose out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Anyone this judgemental would be a red flag for me.
    I dislike bad grammar but would never dream of judging another human being purely on that basis.
    Each to their own I suppose.

When it's something as common as the above 6 mistakes, in the vast majority of cases it is laziness.

Red flags exist with employees too, you know? Being unable to spell or talk properly is a red flag because you want your clients to be able to trust your company's work rate/product, and somebody who's still saying "He done" and "They seen" isn't somebody who shows signs of a solid work ethic/much professional development. They may be among the nicest people in the world, but if you can find an equally nice person who can represent the company more professionally then they will lose out.
    It has nothing to do with work ethic!
    And please don't lecture me on dyslexia. My partner has dyslexia and he can construct a letter with perfect spelling with the aid of a dictionary. He could never grasp grammar at school because he was struggling with reading. I always have to proof read for him to fix the grammatical errors. I can assure you he is neither lazy or stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A limp handshake.
    It's either a sign of two things.

Weak character or treachery.

is convinced the world is hugely worse in their generation than in any previous.

is convinced their generation is going to save it.

lectures adults

joe40 wrote: »
    Anyone this judgemental would be a red flag for me.
    I dislike bad grammar but would never dream of judging another human being purely on that basis.
    Each to their own I suppose.

agreed 100%

anyone who knows enough about language to spot those errors should know enough about communication to take the meaning and not be distracted by idiom/delivery

its an almost textbook example of the difference between knowledge and wisdom imo

It has nothing to do with work ethic!
    And please don't lecture me on dyslexia. My partner has dyslexia and he can construct a letter with perfect spelling with the aid of a dictionary. He could never grasp grammar at school because he was struggling with reading. I always have to proof read for him to fix the grammatical errors. I can assure you he is neither lazy or stupid.

There is a world of a difference between someone with dyslexia and someone who just doesn't bother.

Only an asshole would judge someone with a specific learning disability. I assure you my posts were not judging those with SEN, and apologise if I've offended you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People who roll there eyes at you because your clearly not good enough for them.

People who are very prim and proper.

There is a world of a difference between someone with dyslexia and someone who just doesn't bother.

Only an asshole would judge someone with a specific learning disability. I assure you my posts were not judging those with SEN, and apologise if I've offended you.

My earlier point was that it's not always obvious if someone has an SEN or not simply based on poor grammar. Don't get me wrong, I'm grammar Nazi Supremo and 'official' documents or journalism full of grammatical error boils my p1ss. But here on boards or someplace like it, if people who have dyslexia or who just never really grasped grammar ( some people do just find it really difficult )want to post without breaking a sweat, then that's fine by me. Sure, some people know better and can't be arsed but that's their problem, not mine.

BTW, I was responding to another poster. What made you think that you had said something that offended me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m still trying to figure out how would anyone know anything about a persons spelling and grammar if they’re meeting that person for the first time?

That was the question posed in the opening post.

A red flag for me upon meeting someone for the first time and taking an instant dislike to them would be if they came across a bit shifty, condescending or patronising.

My earlier point was that it's not always obvious if someone has an SEN or not simply based on poor grammar. Don't get me wrong, I'm grammar Nazi Supremo and 'official' documents or journalism full of grammatical error boils my p1ss. But here on boards or someplace like it, if people who have dyslexia or who just never really grasped grammar ( some people do just find it really difficult )want to post without breaking a sweat, then that's fine by me. Sure, some people know better and can't be arsed but that's their problem, not mine.

BTW, I was responding to another poster. What made you think that you had said something that offended me?

You quoted me earlier so I thought I'd clarify.

A red flag for me upon meeting someone for the first time and taking an instant dislike to them would be if they came across a bit shifty, condescending or patronising.

Says the man who can't talk or make eye contact with a woman he doesn't find attractive. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Says the man who can't talk or make eye contact with a woman he doesn't find attractive. :pac:

That’s why I’m conscious of it, because if they’re red flags for me, I’m certain they’re red flags for whoever I’m talking to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Ppl who rite der Facebook komentz lik dis.

People who tell me their children are little angels - always the ones with pure brats.

People who go shopping in pyjamas.

Anti-vaxers.

That’s why I’m conscious of it, because if they’re red flags for me, I’m certain they’re red flags for whoever I’m talking to :D

Just wear a red jumper, Jack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Laughing at their own jokes. Shocking insecurity.

I laugh at my own jokes because I'm bleedin hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

It's = it is. Always! It's raining, it's pouring, it's snowing....

No, "it's" doesn't always mean "it is". It can also mean "it has".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

All ego and no balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If I seen them on the street and they were carrying a large stick.
    And on the end of the stick was a huge triangular or rectangular piece of material.
    And that material was shaded red.

That to me would be a huge red flag.

Panthro wrote: »
    If I seen them on the street and they were carrying a large stick.
    And on the end of the stick was a huge triangular or rectangular piece of material.
    And that material was shaded red.

That to me would be a huge red flag.

Bloody communists!

• Advertisement
Advertisement