Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the weather like in your area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

5live wrote: »
    Well irishh bob we could take up an entire website on this one alone. You only need a 1 week tank outside the door to collect the slurry against a 5 month tank under them. Different strokes for different folks. I was in tralee tonight and -10 in the car at 8.30. I think the old turkey might have to stay in the butchers if this weather stays with us. Bright clear skies and freezing on top of the melt on the roads. And all the local schools closed up for christmas because the car parks too dangerous

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

No mains water this morning!
    Just looked at the forcast on Met Eireann, looks like freeze here till Christmass day at least. Oh Man!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pakalasa wrote: »
    No mains water this morning!
    Just looked at the forcast on Met Eireann, looks like freeze here till Christmass day at least. Oh Man!:(

yikes bad news there, so far water still coming to house here and have a tap up the yard running thats keeping troughs going, we have had no snow really in n clare but i think the last 2 nights have been the coldest yet, even this morning upto maybe 11 was absolutely bitter, its just nice at the moment but expecting another v cold night, have noticed the cows not eating much yest and today, have plenty of water but maybe the water is too cold for them at this stage?? they dont seem to be taking much of it anyway, you may just have a leak pak? noticed my pressure drop off big time yest evening but found a burst pipe between our entrance and yard/house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

5live wrote: »
    Well irishh bob we could take up an entire website on this one alone. You only need a 1 week tank outside the door to collect the slurry against a 5 month tank under them. Different strokes for different folks. I was in tralee tonight and -10 in the car at 8.30. I think the old turkey might have to stay in the butchers if this weather stays with us. Bright clear skies and freezing on top of the melt on the roads. And all the local schools closed up for christmas because the car parks too dangerous

and what use is one weeks storage , even you were willing to spread once a week , your not allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

dar31 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Parlour washings?, i think!

IrishBob, ya mightnt like scrapers, but they are so handy. every second day 15 mins to push in silage/scrape cubicles, then another few checkin the cows. then at end of year 2/3 hours with a powerwasher can't beat it. Few hours service then over autumn. And sher labour is your biggest cost of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Dupont

-17 this morning at 730. diesel had froze in van and could hardly get door open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Dupont wrote: »
    -17 this morning at 730. diesel had froze in van and could hardly get door open

I remember reading about how well the Germans were doing invading the Soviet Union in WW2 until winter struck. There's tales of them lighting fires under their tanks to unfreeze the fuel, I bet that was a little hairy, who's gonna get us first the Russians or our own vehicles exploding :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yesterday was a lovely mild day, only -2. Freezin fog here all day, -7 felt a lot worse without the sun. Diesel froze in the jeep as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

johngalway wrote: »
    I remember reading about how well the Germans were doing invading the Soviet Union in WW2 until winter struck. There's tales of them lighting fires under their tanks to unfreeze the fuel, I bet that was a little hairy, who's gonna get us first the Russians or our own vehicles exploding :D
    :eek: !! hope they were special German fires:D, sher diesel il go by its self at bout 200 degree, and most fires i would a thaught can get a wee bit hotter

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

In June 1812 Napoleon crossed the Niemen River in Poland on his way to Moscow with more than 400,000 men. By the time the French on retreat had reached the Niemen again, in December 1812, there were 10,000 of them left. You'll never beat the Russians - they just keep pulling back until winter kicks in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

irishh_bob wrote: »
    and what use is one weeks storage , even you were willing to spread once a week , your not allowed
    Ah boys. Overground storage costs half the price per gallon of slurry. It is also extendable and can be covered. Most farmers have agitators and one with an adaptor to allow pumping to overground store is less than 1k onto the cost of a new agitator if i remember correctly. And a small store to hold 1 to 2 weeks storage outside the cubicle house is recommended to prevent having to pump every day. When i build again it will probably be an overground tank. Look this is off topic so if someone wants to discuss it then start a new thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

dropped phone in drinker , full of water and got a puncture on the motorway ... not a good day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

The uncle worked for a fella years ago john. They had a digger and 2 other machines i cant remember. One day the boss (old man, just keeping an eye on things) grabbed a stunned rabbit that ran from cover. They used to light a fire under the machines in the morning to start them. They had rabbit the next morning on the fire under the machine!!!

When i was working on the bypass, we thought the dozer was been syphoned for 2 days until we noticed some diesel on the ground. Komatsu man came, diesel tank was cracked. The diesel froze and expanded cracking the tank. Not sure was it covered as the Komatsu man said it will more than likely be an act of god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Photo I took on the way home from shooting today.

P1020862-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    dropped phone in drinker , full of water and got a puncture on the motorway ... not a good day

:eek:

not a nice day at all

I left water in my kettle for defrosting tap and the kettle is burst, it split right down the side.. -9 at the moment... It really is relentless.

The interesting thing is that the weather front coming in from the SW will probably fall as snow, it'll be interesting to see how much snow before it actually turns to rain... The lads over in the weather forum have doubts if it will beat back the cold at all and in fairness they have been better than Met Eireann so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

-11 at present

was -3 all day but felt colder due to windchill

took the collies for a walk this pm and noticed 2 concrete water troughs split in 2

lost 6 last January :(

where is killygordon -17.2 last night:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

where is killygordon -17.2 last night:eek:

google says donegal

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

-12.4 last night here in Cavan, -6 now.
    Just perfect for the sleigh :D

santa should have no trouble travelling around here anyways:D

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »
    -11 at present

was -3 all day but felt colder due to windchill

took the collies for a walk this pm and noticed 2 concrete water troughs split in 2

lost 6 last January :(

last night was IMO a good bit colder than wednesday night althought not as cold as tuesday night , never seen anything like wednesday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Last night was minus 14. Unreal. Very hard to start tractor today for first time this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

BeeDI wrote: »
    Last night was minus 14. Unreal. Very hard to start tractor today for first time this year
    I know that feeling. 2 litres of kerosene in the tank and 6 silage wraps and 5 bales of hay around the engine and fuel tank yesterday and she started no bother. Think i may have got the last of the summer diesel:o. Never went above -4 today and -9 in the car at 6pm. Rain will be welcome just for the warmth:confused:

tbh this evening felt warm was 0 degrees ... could feel a bit of warmth around for the first day in ages:rolleyes: hope i dont jinx a thaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

tbh this evening felt warm was 0 degrees ... could feel a bit of warmth around for the first day in ages:rolleyes: hope i dont jinx a thaw

I hope you dont jinx it either, Monday hopefully, some amount of silage gone this month.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

brutal today.... -13 this morning , now -10... had a heifer calving , lost calf it was backwards, a cow went down in the cubicle shed and we got her up and walking ... then 10 minutes later a cow that was in heat slipped , theses sheds have been grooved and i haven't had any cows down in ages ,typical xmas day that these things will happen:rolleyes: water hoses froze over as my husband drove over them while lifting out second cow and never told me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

: as my husband

Never knew u were a "Lady" farmer!! - Whats your feelings on the term "Farmerette"??;)

today is not a good day to ask me anything about farming:rolleyes: i dont like the term farmerette i can do everything a "farmer" can do

today is not a good day to ask me anything about farming:rolleyes: i dont like the term farmerette i can do everything a "farmer" can do

am i right in saying your a resident of county louth , dairy farmers in louth all seem to milk all year round , have to say i dont envy year round producers at the moment , those in a spring calving system have it a while lot easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I agree that the term is a bit twee - though AFAIK they still use it at the Ploughing Championships.

PS: In general I've found woman to be better at most types of animal husbandry given that they generally have more patience, understanding, cop on and are less prone to "outbursts" or other types of erratic/dodgy behavior brought on by Testosterone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement