Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand - CBS All Access - (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the 1994 one wasnt too bad though I lost interest in it towards the end, not really into supernatural movies, odd style to have it tied into a virus movie.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

silverharp wrote: »
    the 1994 one wasnt too bad though I lost interest in it towards the end, not really into supernatural movies, odd style to have it tied into a virus movie.

But the book is supernatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Really enjoying this, nice pacing and sticks reasonably close to the book (although many years since I read it).
    Good production values and good acting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Necro wrote: »
    You mean James Marsden, right :p

I'm loving it tbh, I do agree with some about the Lincoln Tunnel scene being changed to the sewers - didn't like that move.

But overall so far the acting is way ahead of the 94 adaptation, and I loved that one.

I did hear the timeline stops jumping about around episode 4 or 5 too when all the main players are in the right places (Boulder and Vegas).

Gonna watch episode 3 to ring in the New Year I think.

I watched half of the first episode and had to turn it off. The acting from Frannie's actress was just so bad and I didn't like the depiction of Harold at all. It's one of my favorite books so I am hoping I can drag myself back to watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

silverharp wrote: »

It's Stephen King...

It's like saying that John Grisham adaptation ended up in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Does the Kid appear in this?
    The psychopath who loves Bruce Springsteen and Coors.
    He only appeared in a special edition of the book, but i think he was the most interesting character in it. You better believe that happy crappy :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Does the Kid appear in this?
    The psychopath who loves Bruce Springsteen and Coors.
    He only appeared in a special edition of the book, but i think he was the most interesting character in it. You better believe that happy crappy :D

We haven't seen Trashy yet so there's still hope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd guess they will change him ala arseface and Nirvana in Preacher if/when he shows up he will have a Springsteen t-shirt or badge rather than sing or listen to the songs

I liked episode 3. I am however close to done with the non-linear timeline. One more episode of it to introduce the final few players, then be done with it please.

I really like
    the portrayal of Tom Cullen and 'Greg' Bateman.

I really don't like
    Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah I get the impression Whoopi is there for the paycheck alright.

Thankfully,
    she isn't massively needed for much longer
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just started. Trying to recreate a tv show to match Kings book is always going to be a very hard task. The book is such an epic IMO. I’ll defo stick with it for the moment.

Kunkka wrote: »
    I watched half of the first episode and had to turn it off. The acting from Frannie's actress was just so bad and I didn't like the depiction of Harold at all. It's one of my favorite books so I am hoping I can drag myself back to watching this.

Well finished the first episode and take what I said back. Loved the second half of the episode, the Starkey casting was perfect . I’ll catch up on the rest shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Kunkka wrote: »
    the Starkey casting was perfect

That was such a great scene, and J.K. Simmons was such a surprise when he came on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya I think its worth sticking out, I've finished the 3rd episode and I'm really enjoying it.

Sure, the characters seem a little bit hollow but seeing as how there are only 9 episodes and King has so many amazing characters in it, its not unexpected. I think once the flashbacks (apparently episode 4) and all the characters have been introduced, I think it will go from strength to strength.

That was such a great scene, and J.K. Simmons was such a surprise when he came on!

Yep.
    That was my favourite poem in school too :D, loved when it came up in the book

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Watched all 3 since yesterday and this is great. The first mini-series was very PG compared to this.

Casting is good too. I'll queue up the book on my kindle again after the series is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nice King cameo in this weeks episode.

Love how he always does that, can't wait.

Here is his small cameo in the 1994 version for anyone that is interested

https://youtu.be/cC2XtwMN88g?t=255

• Registered Users Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Episode 4 was good in my opinion.
    The strongest episode overall I thought.
    Helped that it was jumping all over the place in the timeline as much.
    I think some more Randall Flagg next week...which should help l, Skarsgard really needs some more screen time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Its almost like Amber Heard was born to play that role, but yeah season is ticking along nicely. Unfortunately from my reading of the book and watching the previous miniseries I know its not very long until the storyline gets somewhat silly. Still enjoyable though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

4: This was done well. The scene I thought was best placed
    was when Frannie nomincated Dayna. After the earlier road attack scene it just worked so well.

Feels like things are starting to come back to me about the 1994 series and how they match with this one. Still though, it's still enough to keep me interested.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

He also managed to pronounced Yeats's name correctly. I remember Ed Harris mangled it in the 1994 adaptation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

King's cameo below.

I'm actually enjoying it. Found myself watching the original mini-series over the weekend. Grand and all but as said above, very 90s pre-The Sopranos PG stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I read the book a long time ago and enjoyed it.I didn't think much of the mini series from 94 but i really like this series.It very good!....M.O.O.N that spells good:)

Wow, just watched episode 5, absolutely incredible, best of the series by a mile, loved every minute of it.

M-o-o-n spells, don't fear the reaper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Harold is creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5: Good episode I thought. Was
    rough watching Dayna do that at the end. Thought Nadines reachout scene to Larry was really well done by Amber Heard. Then at the end the reveal that Harold knew everything.
    That was like .. woah!
    Slydice wrote: »
    Had to go back and rewatch the 1994 intro scene just for the music alone. Was holding out for the song here. They did decent enough music but not this.

Alright, I'll give it to em... this time the timing was pretty good too.
    The face on Harold!
    :)

Most importantly though.. The Music from the intro of episodes of Dark!!! That was a nice addition in the middle of the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

^^ Wasnt it Vikings theme music ?

Harold is creepy

I have to say, Owen Teague has been absolutely amazing as Harold Lauder. Reading the book all those years ago, he is exactly how I imagined the character to be.

Creppy to a fault.

Brad William Henke as Tom Cullen is also a very impressive portrayal.

I was slightly puzzled by the character of Lloyd Henry in that episode, he certainly didn't come across to me as someone who is Flaggs right hand man.

For those of you that may be interested, the showrunner (producer?) Ben Cavell talks abut some of the topics we have mentioned in this thread,
    such as the shortening of the pandemic aspect of the book which is a personal gripe of mine as its my favourite part.
    as well as how he decided to change up some of the characters.
    https://collider.com/the-stand-tv-series-2020-showrunner-ben-cavell-interview/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm enjoying the series so far but it does feel a bit rushed and great actors like Alexander Skarsgård, Greg Kinnear, Whoopi Goldberg feel underused. I don't often say this but I wish they had planned it out over 2/3 seasons so as to flesh out the characters a bit more while still staying mostly true to the book. I'm guessing they didn't want to do this after the sh*t show that was Under the Dome season 2&3.

Advertisement