Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand - CBS All Access - (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's a good while since I've read the book but the Harold character seems quite a bit different from what I remember - IIRC he was a socially awkward unlikeable character - this show is portraying him very differently

Also the show seems to be getting review bombed because of Amber Heard

Yes, Harold was heavy set with pimples from eating chocolate bars. A bit different in the new version.

Very good start to the series, all the family enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Solid Intro.

How mad is it that J. K. Simmons was in a show (Counterpart) that saw a virus just being unleashed on our world right before Coronavirus and now he's in this show about the aftermath of a virus!
    A short but solid performance out of him!

I've forgotten most of the roles each character plays from the 1994 series but was full sure
    Harold was gonna say Vegas instead of Atlanta. He part at the end though seemed to sort that out.

Alexander Skarsgård looks like he'll do his part just fine.

James Marsden standing out just .. like .. I dunno maybe it's because he's so much experience under his belt at this stage.

Had to go back and rewatch the 1994 intro scene just for the music alone. Was holding out for the song here. They did decent enough music but not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was waiting for Blue Oyster Cult myself..

.. didn't think much of this if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm a big fan of the book, my favourite SK book, (currently on the 3rd book in the Dark Tower series).

I finally got around to watching episode 1 last night, overall I quite liked it. The minor changes to the book worked quite well.
    Removing Dr Denninger worked out quite well for example. I really enjoyed Hamish Linklater playing Dr. Jim Ellis

I did feel it was a small bit rushed for example, I'm aware that there is only going to be 9 episodes and we still have a lot of back story to see but...
    I felt the plague happened a bit too quick for Fran & Stu, one second her father had a cough, the next she was burying him, I think a few more scenes between the two would of made us care more about this as an audience. Similarly with Harold listening to the radio and the host shooting themselves, I hope that wasn't supposed to be a fill in for Rae Flowers having the soliders come in to silence him (or Kathy Bates in the 94 series)

All in all though, really looking forward to episode 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

Where is it available to watch?

• Advertisement

CBS All Access are the only tv service providing it at the moment (US & Canada only), Starzplay will start showing it in the UK (and possibly Ireland??) from the 3rd of January.

On another note, I'm really looking forward to seeing Larry Underwood, my favourite character from the books, can't wait to see how they show New York during the outbreak.

2: Things moving along well.
    • Biggest shock:
      Sneeze *bang*
    • Biggest funny: Yer mans plan
      to run around yankee stadium
    • Biggest scary: Lloyd
      looking at the leg and the audience being left to put 2 and 2 together
    • Biggest sad: Yer wan
      walking out into the rain with the booze and pills.
      That scene was really well done with the rain and and lighting and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

1huge1 wrote: »
    CBS All Access are the only tv service providing it at the moment (US & Canada only), Starzplay will start showing it in the UK (and possibly Ireland??) from the 3rd of January.

On another note, I'm really looking forward to seeing Larry Underwood, my favourite character from the books, can't wait to see how they show New York during the outbreak.

Yup. Larry Underwood is one my favourite King characters. I think he inspired Eddie Dean. I guess you could call them twinners.

I just hope the guy who plays him has some charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Some good cameo stars so far, the music definitely could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭G1032

I'm a big fan of the book, my favourite SK book, (currently on the 3rd book in the Dark Tower series).

You're in for some treat. Epic isn't the word for that series and the ending will blow your mind!!

• Advertisement

*Contains Spoilers For Episodes 1 and 2*

I watched the first two episodes of this last night. Now, the fact that I watched an incoherent, pretentious mess in the form of Tenet just before The Stand might elevate my opinion of the show above what it deserves. Don't care though, I really enjoyed the viewing experience.

The first episode was the stronger of the two. I wasn't expecting J.K. Simmons to show up and what a powerful scene that was. I remember when Stu first entered that room the General was in and we could only see the back of the army man and hear his voice, I excitedly thought "No way, they got Tobin Bell for this?". No, they didn't, but they went a level above and it really paid off.

I love that the doctor who was taking care of Stu at the CDC facility had his own personality and wasn't just a vanilla NPC or plot device. In the book, of course such characters are fleshed out, but in a 9 episode mini-series I wasn't expecting it. Plus, the actor was great in The Newsroom and I was happy to see him get some decent material here.

The second episode - Poor Rita Blakemoor. On two separate occasions Larry just leaves her to fate when she really needed an ally...

1. Minutes after escaping a violent group of men who wanted to gang-rape and likely murder Rita, Larry leaves her to exit the sewers herself and return to the deadly cat and mouse arena they had just escaped.

2. Larry...when a person is on the sauce and wistfully starts talking about how stupid they think it is to remain alive...you don't just go "Right, well I'm going to bed" and leave her there in the dark and rain.

Larry isn't perfect, none of the characters are, it's part of the reason I love the book. Still though, that didn't make it any easier watching the final days of Rita Blakemoor.

So far, what I'm seeing of Skarsgard's Flagg I'm liking. The final shot of the first episode with him in the backseat of Campion's car was actually quite creepy. Obviously it's episode 2 before we spend decent time with Flagg, and I'm delighted that as of yet neither Skarsgard nor the writers are hamming the fúck out of a potentially very-hammable role.

It's a few years since I last read the book, and decades since I saw the original mini-series. So I'm not judging this on how faithfully it recreates each page or comparing it to the original TV show. With that in mind, I'm loving this new adaptation so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Episode 2 was decent but I still think if they just showed the story in a linear fashion a lot of scenes would have much more impact and meaning. This flashback way of telling peoples story is a lazy trope that only rarely works imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

G1032 wrote: »
    You're in for some treat. Epic isn't the word for that series and the ending will blow your mind!!

The ending of the The Dark Tower series of books was a big cop out/let down by King IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched episode 2 and I think it's a pretty solid episode, poor Rita (good performance from Heather Graham) also I just keep expecting to see Matthew McConaughey to turn up as Randall Flagg (one good thing from the dark tower was him as The man in black).
    The way the story is told in flashbacks is fine by me. I didn't recognise Johnny Depp's ex Amber Heard in it. Glad they haven't cut the bad language or the gore in this.
    So far so good with this series

G1032 wrote: »
    Thank you, I'm quite enjoying it now, the first book was painful but I was told to expect that, loved the second book and really enjoying the 3rd book at the moment.

My favourite SK book is still The Stand following by the Shining but the Dark Tower series is definitely on the rise.
    Watched episode 2 and I think it's a pretty solid episode, poor Rita (good performance from Heather Graham) also I just keep expecting to see Matthew McConaughey to turn up as Randall Flagg (one good thing from the dark tower was him as The man in black).
    The way the story is told in flashbacks is fine by me. I didn't recognise Johnny Depp's ex Amber Heard in it. Glad they haven't cut the bad language or the gore in this.
    So far so good with this series

Watched episode 2 last night, enjoyed it a lot, one of the big things I felt the first episode had left out was how society started to crumble as Captain Trips took hold, whereas episode 2 tackled this more directly as we seen NYC decending into chaos.
    Book readers will notice that they switched the Lincoln tunnel scene to NYC sewers, a bit of a shame but still was enjoyable.
    I'd also like to see more of the army trying to shut down the population as the virus spread, the taking over of the TV station etc.
    I guess I just enjoy seeing the chaos :D

I imagine episode 3 will show the back story of Nick Andros & Glen Bateman. Not forgetting Trashcan Man & Tom Cullen.

Its interesting to compare this to the 1994 Mini series, while the 2020 series has a longer total running time, it still seems slightly more rushed than the 1994 series (in terms of the backstory of Larry Unerwood or Fran for example).

For anyone thats interested, the 94 version can be watched in all its glory at the link below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtS72J9qEs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

never heard of this or the original, the original is up on Youtube

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

So far the 1994 version beats this one hands down for me.

I think the character development was noticeably better in the 1994 version, but I'll reserve judgement as we have only seen 2 of 9 episodes so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Book readers will notice that they switched the Lincoln tunnel scene to NYC sewers, a bit of a shame but still was enjoyable.

Yeah I was disappointed about this as well, it's such a terrifying and powerful scene in the book. To be fair it wasn't really done well in the original series either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,251 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JimmyVik wrote: »
    So far the 1994 version beats this one hands down for me.
    I don't agree.
    I watched the 1994 one recently enough...it has aged pretty horribly, some of the acting is unwatchable.
    Personally i'd prefer if the new version didn't jump about in the timeline, but the budget and acting elevates this way above the 1994 take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

gmisk wrote: »
    I don't agree.
    I watched the 1994 one recently enough...it has aged pretty horribly, some of the acting is unwatchable.
    Personally i'd prefer if the new version didn't jump about in the timeline, but the budget and acting elevates this way above the 1994 take.

I think I read a reviewer somewhere who saw screeners of the first 6 and it apparently stops jumping around episode 4. It doesn't bother me too much, but I'm guessing it was the best way they could get al the broad character introductions and setup for everything out of the way in the most expedient and engaging manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,416 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I've been disappointed we haven't heard Larry sing Baby, Can You Dig Your Man and Eve of Destruction yet.

Larry singing Eve of Destruction was one of my favorite scenes from the mini series.

I'm disappointed. There's something missing for me. One of the reasons why I love King's books is his ability to give so much life to his characters. Reading about them feels like you're walking in their shoes. The Stand is in my top 5 favourite all time books so any other adaptation has a lot to live up to.

Alexander Skarsgaard is well cast but I'm not sure about James Franco. I think he is too attractive. In my mind Stu is far more of a regular 'everyman' looking character. As for Amber Heard :( I don't like her so find it difficult to watch any part she plays.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm disappointed. There's something missing for me. One of the reasons why I love King's books is his ability to give so much life to his characters. Reading about them feels like you're walking in their shoes. The Stand is in my top 5 favourite all time books so any other adaptation has a lot to live up to.

Alexander Skarsgaard is well cast but I'm not sure about James Franco. I think he is too attractive. In my mind Stu is far more of a regular 'everyman' looking character. As for Amber Heard :( I don't like her so find it difficult to watch any part she plays.

You mean James Marsden, right :p

I'm loving it tbh, I do agree with some about the Lincoln Tunnel scene being changed to the sewers - didn't like that move.

But overall so far the acting is way ahead of the 94 adaptation, and I loved that one.

I did hear the timeline stops jumping about around episode 4 or 5 too when all the main players are in the right places (Boulder and Vegas).

Gonna watch episode 3 to ring in the New Year I think.

Necro wrote: »
    You mean James Marsden, right :p

I'm loving it tbh, I do agree with some about the Lincoln Tunnel scene being changed to the sewers - didn't like that move.

But overall so far the acting is way ahead of the 94 adaptation, and I loved that one.

I did hear the timeline stops jumping about around episode 4 or 5 too when all the main players are in the right places (Boulder and Vegas).

Gonna watch episode 3 to ring in the New Year I think.

Yes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,251 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

James Marsden? Yeah I agree a bit too good looking and clean cut.
    Gary Sinise was great casting in the old version.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Greg Kinnear was great love him in everything.

3: Ah things are starting to feel a lot more familiar now. I think I was thrown off just by how they are structuring using flashbacks. The biggest weakness compared to the 1994 version is the infected people. The ones here kinda take me out of the immersion of the show. I don't remember that happening with the 1994 version.

Greg Kinnear was great love him in everything.
    He did well. I even googled to make sure he wasn't in the 1994 series somehow. He was acting at the time but I didn't see him list in the cast of it.

Will be shown on tv here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,416 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Will be shown on tv here?

Starzplay have the rights to it here it was advertised to start on Sunday there.

Advertisement