Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid - Youtube TV Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ok saw ep 1 & 2. Can somebody please pm me how to view the rest

Anyone?

Pelvis wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this!!

Ralph really needs to get a few Karate lessons in his spare time though, jesus!

Billy Zabka on the other hand was apparently an absolute natural from the get go. Some of the kicks he done in the first movie were top notch and he wasnt even doing karate that long at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Billy Zabka on the other hand was apparently an absolute natural from the get go. Some of the kicks he done in the first movie were top notch and he wasnt even doing karate that long at the time

I could be wrong but I thought he had no Karate experience before he got the part?
    As far as I know he has since became a black belt.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I thought he had no Karate experience before he got the part?
    As far as I know he has since became a black belt.

No your right. He only took it up specifically for the role but seemingly fell in love with it. Interesting fact, the referee from the first movie was actually the main choreographer on the first movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Ok saw ep 1 & 2. Can somebody please pm me how to view the rest

Anyone?

Google is your friend m8
    Don't ask here the mods don't like that sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

put on the first episode late last night, and ended up watching 5 of them , great show !! I absolutely loved the original Karate Kid. Will no doubt finish off the last 5 this evening. Delighted it's renewed for a second season !!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like it has become a major hit.

‘Cobra Kai’: YouTube Red’s ‘Karate Kid’ Sequel Outperforms Netflix, Hulu Shows
    “Cobra Kai,” a TV offshoot of the “Karate Kid” film franchise, has outperformed all of its streaming competition, according to data provided to Variety by Parrot Analytics for the week of May 6-12, including Netflix’s “13 Reasons Why” and “Arrested Development,” as well as Hulu’s “The Handmaid’s Tale.”

It marks the first time Parrot’s global data has seen a YouTube Red show top the competition, and the highest performing show ever to emerge from the two-year-old streaming service, which hasn’t yet gotten the same buzz for its content that its subscriber VOD rivals have achieved.

At its peak on May 7, “Cobra Kai” attracted greater than 54% more demand than “13 Reasons Why”; more than twice the demand for “The Handmaid’s Tale”; and 121% more demand than another Netflix original series, “Lost in Space.”

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/cobra-kai-youtube-red-karate-kid-1202810780/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Looks like it has become a major hit.

‘Cobra Kai’: YouTube Red’s ‘Karate Kid’ Sequel Outperforms Netflix, Hulu Shows

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/cobra-kai-youtube-red-karate-kid-1202810780/

13 reasons - only teens, early 20s girls show really.

Handmaid's - dunno who'd watch it...same as above.

Space - small audience cuz it has space in title.

They're comparing it to the other channels lesser shows, no?

Kuva wrote: »

Ok if you say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Huh??

Well for one, Handmaid's Tale is one of the biggest hits of the last year, and is certainly not aimed at teens or is a "girl's show".

• Advertisement

13 reasons and handmade's tail are bad though

It's like female first world problems in tv form

You do know half the world is female?

You do know half the world is female?

Wat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ah, come off it, Handmaids Tale is excellent.

13 Reasons why I haven't gone near because, as you say, it looks like it's aimed at angsty teenagers.
    Lost in Space seems very much aimed at the "family viewing" bracket and tbh, in our house, that's what it is: our 12 year old boy loves it and the rest of us can tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Haha Jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They're comparing it to other streaming platform shows that have high viewership. :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Ah sure its the Karate Kid..dunno who’d watch that...probably only a small audience of Karate enthusiasts as it has the word Karate in the title and young people..thats the logic we are working off here right!?

Karate is coming back big time.

Don't know if many of you watch Mixed Martial Arts but famed karate practitioner Lyoto Machida did this the other night:

SourDefiniteFireant-max-14mb.gif

And here's his earlier "Larusso crane kick" on Randy Couture.

Machida-Couture.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Axwell wrote: »
    Ah sure its the Karate Kid..dunno who’d watch that...probably only a small audience of Karate enthusiasts as it has the word Karate in the title and young people..thats the logic we are working off here right!?

You think people aren't off put straight away by setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

While Karate is indeed a niche selling point , the kid part covers children .... And goats....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I am sure some people are but when shows are getting huge ratings and recommendations I am sure people check them out and watch a few episodes and make their own mind up rather than just dismiss them because of the title. You dismissed shows that have huge followings saying not sure who would watch that..clearly loads of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

There definitely are, and it's a sign of insecurity tbh. I watch all the show's you listed and I'm a 40 year old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Well finally finished it over the weekend, what a great show, and worked very well over 10 episodes !! Kept me entertained and interested throughout. Can't wait for season 2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I binge watched this over the past week, GREAT show and should be used as the barometer for how to relaunch/reboot a show, showing the 2 sides of the story was a great move to make, it's hard to see who's the good guy and who's the bad guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I particularly liked how Daniel's son is exactly the sort of spoiled brat he'd always thought Johnny was...

Sleepy wrote: »
    I particularly liked how Daniel's son is exactly the sort of spoiled brat he'd always thought Johnny was...

An interesting thing about Johnny, did you notice when they showed him in his youth they portrayed him as a kid with all the new stuff like probably one of the first walkmans for example? And yet in later years he had a clapped out old car with a tape deck and an old CRT television. By the end of the series though he has a flat screen tv and new car to show that he is finally dealing with the past and letting go.

Im wondering whether the old stepfather Sid will snuff it in season two and by default the mansion will end up with Robby or Johnny?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!! The original was one of my favorites as a kid growing up, knew every song, every line and many an evening doing a stupid crane kick in the sitting room. The video was constantly on.
    Cobra kai was so well done, could have been an absolute cheese fest but they fit it just right, perfect story telling, great mix of adult and teen stories. Haven’t enjoyed a show that much in a long time. Actually jumped up out of the seat at the end!!! Can’t stop smiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I finished this almost two weeks ago I think, but sat down with the girlfriend on Sunday afternoon and wanted something to watch, I semi-insisted this as I knew she'd like it. Ended up binging the whole show, a great way to spend 5 hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It is shocking how many people agree around here about this show, this never happens. My worry now would be a raft of follow up stories to 80s classics.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    It is shocking how many people agree around here about this show, this never happens. My worry now would be a raft of follow up stories to 80s classics.

That's true and not all of them will make a fist of it. In fact, i would be somewhat nervous for the second season of CK.
    This series works because the first Karate Kid film was absolutely brilliant, but the second or third....not so much.

Advertisement