Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the stupidest thing you've ever done to yourself?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Archeron

Stuck two lollipops to my head so I would look like a Minotaur, lollipop in and stick pointing out. They got well and truly stuck in my big curly mop and had to be cut out, so I ended up with two oddly placed bald patches for weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭To Need a Woman

Invested in Falkland Oil & Gas...... lost circa €1400 in November of 2012. Never told anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

As a 3 year old kid I was riding my tricycle around the concrete path at the back of my house. I tripped forward and smacked my whole upper set of teeth straight into the concrete and they took my weight. They were completely pushed up into my gums and there was blood everywhere. The doctors either said my adult teeth would be seriously messed up or possibly never develop.

20 years later my teeth are perfect to the extent dentists ask if I have had braces. But I still have a serious issue anything teeth related mentally. Like people grinding their teeth on E.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GoWhest

Bought a bucket load of AIB shares after I was told they couldn't go any lower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I got a new Fixie on the advice of a friend. Had it about a week when on a Summers day we decided to cycle to Pheonix Park after a half day of college. I could barely cycle the thing as I was only getting used to it. Anyway ended up at the top of the grassy hill (beside magazine hill - where incidentally I skinned the arse off myself when I got rollerblades as a child)

So he says let's go down come on! I say ok, we make it down ok!

Stupidly went a second time went over the handlebars bike landed on me and I broke my collar bone!

I haven't been to that part of the park since as I'm sure the third time it will get me!

Not one of my finest moments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I joined a gym when I was about 21. Had never been inside one before & hadn't a clue how to use any machines or how to use the weights area. The first day I was there was a Saturday morning & the place was packed. I was on the threadmill & everything was going grand until in the mirror I noticed a gorgeous girl behind me. I lost concentration for a split second & missed a step on the threadmill which was moving at a fair speed. I lost all balance & fell but managed to regain composure fairly quickly & balance myself but made a massive noise when I fell so when I got back up & running half the gym was laughing at me.

Anyway, feeling a bit hot under the collar I decided to release some tension by using the weight bench. I was wrecked tired from the threadmill, add in the shock & embarrassment of falling & the heat in the gym it was a poor move out of me. I sat down on the bench to compose myself & spotted the lovely girl again. Determined to make up for the embarrassment of the threadmill incident I decided to throw caution to the wind & bench press 50kg. I may not sound a lot but bear in mind I had never touched a weight before & this mixed in with the other factors in hindsight it was a miracle I wasn't killed. Having heard about a "spotter" I didn't know what it was...I wish I had.

With the lovely girl peddling away on her bike I was right in her eyeline. I lay back on the bench & lifted the barbell. Not even halfway up on the first rep my arms buckled & the barbell came straight down on my chest. Broke my breastplate & did huge damage to my ribs. I spent 4 weeks in hospital & another 3 months in rehab being given the confidence to move around. It affected me very badly psychologically as i came very close to dropping the barbell right down on my throat which would have probably chopped my head off.

Hands down the stupidest thing I've ever done to myself & hopefully it will never be topped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Motivator wrote: »
    I joined a gym when I was about 21. Had never been inside one before & hadn't a clue how to use any machines or how to use the weights area. The first day I was there was a Saturday morning & the place was packed. I was on the threadmill & everything was going grand until in the mirror I noticed a gorgeous girl behind me. I lost concentration for a split second & missed a step on the threadmill which was moving at a fair speed. I lost all balance & fell but managed to regain composure fairly quickly & balance myself but made a massive noise when I fell so when I got back up & running half the gym was laughing at me.

Anyway, feeling a bit hot under the collar I decided to release some tension by using the weight bench. I was wrecked tired from the threadmill, add in the shock & embarrassment of falling & the heat in the gym it was a poor move out of me. I sat down on the bench to compose myself & spotted the lovely girl again. Determined to make up for the embarrassment of the threadmill incident I decided to throw caution to the wind & bench press 50kg. I may not sound a lot but bear in mind I had never touched a weight before & this mixed in with the other factors in hindsight it was a miracle I wasn't killed. Having heard about a "spotter" I didn't know what it was...I wish I had.

With the lovely girl peddling away on her bike I was right in her eyeline. I lay back on the bench & lifted the barbell. Not even halfway up on the first rep my arms buckled & the barbell came straight down on my chest. Broke my breastplate & did huge damage to my ribs. I spent 4 weeks in hospital & another 3 months in rehab being given the confidence to move around. It affected me very badly psychologically as i came very close to dropping the barbell right down on my throat which would have probably chopped my head off.

Hands down the stupidest thing I've ever done to myself & hopefully it will never be topped.

And we have a winner! of sorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

locked myself and my girlfriend out on the balcony..... f*cking retarded ...

we had to rouse the neighbours who called a locksmith.

The really stupid thing was, the night before I almost did it to me and a mate who was having a smoke on the balcony - then I was "demoing" my almost idiotic act from the night before to her .. and closed the door a little too hard ... I never felt so f*cking retarded in my life ... took me weeks to get over it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I've just finished an Easter Egg.

I have eaters remorse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Mr Motivator?

Jesus I could have done with him. Would have saved me years of mental & physical anguish.

Possibly the worst part of the whole ordeal is people still recognise me around town. For 13 years I have had to listen to people jeer me over it. There must have been about 600 people in the gym that day going by how many claim to have been the one to a) call the ambulance b) lift the barbell off my chest c) said a prayer over my dying body.

13 years....13 bloody years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

I thought I had a bad time of it, when the pretty boy instructor with fake tan and blonde highlights in his hair had to lift the barbell off me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭To Need a Woman

What we do for women! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi1ltzaxno4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

And then you lived happily every after with the lovely girl?!?!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I was once playing with a big slab of a rock out in our garden as a kid and managed to drop the slab onto my big toe, all went black and blue and the nail came off. 4 months later when the toe had healed and my nail had regrown I was out playing in the garden again; I managed to drop the exact same rock onto the exact same toe again. All went black and blue again and the toe nail came off. that sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I fell off the top of my fence onto my neighbour while she was sunbathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Should hold up well in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was once playing with a big slab of a rock out in our garden as a kid and managed to drop the slab onto my big toe, all went black and blue and the nail came off. 4 months later when the toe had healed and my nail had regrown I was out playing in the garden again; I managed to drop the exact same rock onto the exact same toe again. All went black and blue again and the toe nail came off. that sucked.

Jesus where were all your toys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Should hold up well in court.

Why would it go to court? All I was doing was painting the top of my fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

When I was about 12, I was making a pot of tea as was the custom at that time. Normally I'd put the teapot on a ring of the cooker, throw in the teabags and then pour the boiling water in once the kettle had boiled. For some reason this time, I decided I would hold the teapot in one hand while I poured the water in with my other hand. But not only that, I thought it would be a good idea to hold the teapot by the spout rather than the purpose-built-for-holding handle. Did I mention it was a metal teapot? Needless to say, as I started to pour, the spout became very hot very quickly and I moved my hand to put it back on the cooker. Unfortunately, I was still pouring just-boiled water out of the kettle when I did this and I managed to severely burn the whole back of my left hand. It was the following day before I got to a doctor, by then my hand was bright purple, twice its normal size and the skin had the consistency of wet tissue paper. I was sent straight to hospital where the doctor reckoned I would need skin grafts and I may have damaged nerves. Spent a week in hospital for my troubles with my hand in the air covered in a sterile bag, but there was no nerve damage and I never needed the skin grafts, luckily. I just have a triangular scar to remind myself of that happy time.

Then there was the time I learned I couldn't, in fact, swallow a marble, and that breathing was impossible while it was lodged in your throat.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

jaysus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

razorblunt wrote: »
    Jesus where were all your toys?

Brilliant haha! xD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

GenieOz wrote: »
    Ripped my banjo string.
    Thought she was just tight, then thought she was really wet..

I was really tore, that was really blood..a lot of blood.

outch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I agreed to undergo spinal surgery in 1998 in an attempt to arrest a debilitating condition. It wasn't much of a success and the medication I took at the time turned me in to a right a$$hole and it still causes me to be a right a$$hole on occasion to this day. Not proud of myself for that decision

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Posted it before, but sure I'll post it again.

When I was 8 or 9 I attempted to make a rocket skateboard by sellotaping four fireworks to the back of said skateboard. 'I'll propel myself down the driveway' I thought to myself. It was shortly after the grazed elbows, arse and shoulder, burned ankles and burst eardrum I discovered I'd never work for NASA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Duff wrote: »
    Posted it before, but sure I'll post it again.

When I was 8 or 9 I attempted to make a rocket skateboard by sellotaping four fireworks to the back of said skateboard. 'I'll propel myself down the driveway' I thought to myself. It was shortly after the grazed elbows, arse and shoulder, burned ankles and burst eardrum I discovered I'd never work for NASA.

was really hoping that was gonna work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

outch :(

It wasn't actually that sore, there was a lot of blood though..so much so she had to get a new mattress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Daveysil15 wrote: »

did you get a feel off her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

When I was about 12 decided to see how far I could cycle with my eyes closed, not very far was the answer about 2 seconds after closing my eyes I smacked straight into my neighbours concrete mixer truck, when I got up he was standing at his door and there was a few people on the street, in complete silence not even laughing at me just looking. What a spanner it still makes me laugh now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

Rode a beached whale in a pub's jax, nearly broke me back.

Advertisement