Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva HD Combo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭victory10

Recently I got a Conax CI module and card installed into the Ferguson Ariva HD Combo.
    The TV channels hang a lot and upon inspection both the card and the module feel quite hot.
    When I put a small fan nearby blowing air over the receiver top, the hanging of the channels stops.
    I am considering to open the receiver and install a small ventillator fan inside the receiver near the CI space, and power it from an external source so that it would not load the receiver power supply.
    Would this be a good idea and has anybody opened the receiver and has done something similar?
    At the moment there is just one CI module. I dread to think what would happen if I install another CI and put a card in the smartcard reader slot.
    Thanks for any comments, suggestions or tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi Guys,
    I'm also interested in getting Al jazeera sports.
    I have the Ferguson Ariva combo, it has Common interface and a smart card reader.
    Q. Would I have to just buy a card, or would I need to buy a CA module also ?

I posted the above in a previous thread and would be thankful for any help.

Will the combo support Viaccess or Irdeto ?

Thanks

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I'm also interested in getting Al jazeera sports.
    I have the Ferguson Ariva combo, it has Common interface and a smart card reader.
    Q. Would I have to just buy a card, or would I need to buy a CA module also ?

I posted the above in a previous thread and would be thankful for any help.

Will the combo support Viaccess or Irdeto ?

Thanks

The card comes in either Viaccess or Irdeto.
    I think I would buy only the Viaccess card and stick it in the card reader. If it doesn't work, then I would invest in a Viaccess CAM.
    The Ariva HD Combo card reader is optimized for Seca to open Cyfra+ cards from Poland, but I think it should open other encryption system (except NDS)
    I recently bought a Cyfra+ card and it has excellent sports channels, plus other interesting movie channels, so you might like to consider this option, instead of Al Jazeera.
    PM me if you need more details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Did an updated channel editor ever get released for the HDCombo box? I see that the 'ArivaEditor' was released for the 120 HD Combo box but doesn't look like its backward compatible :( complete pain to edit/change channels with this box

My Cyfra+ START card is not updating in the Ferguson Ariva HD Combo smartcard reader slot since yesterday 6/11/2011.
    The entitelment page has this relevant line:
    Cyfra (0000) 6/11/2011 which would explain why it stopped.
    I am wondering if I need to leave it on a certain channel, and would appreciate to know the name of the channel and for how long.
    Also if there is another way, for example the supplier would do something about it as he knows the card number.
    Thanks.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Did an updated channel editor ever get released for the HDCombo box? I see that the 'ArivaEditor' was released for the 120 HD Combo box but doesn't look like its backward compatible :( complete pain to edit/change channels with this box

I don't think so.
    I also thought it was painfull to use it, but it solved a big problem for me with replacing audio language to English instead of Polish, which the box wasn't showing as selectable.
    Now I think it is brilliant and would suggest to try to give it another chance.

Just wondering do I have the most update SW, I presently have system information.

Product information: Ferguson Ariva HDcombo

SW version: 021

HW version: 003

Thanks for any help

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Just wondering do I have the most update SW, I presently have system information.

Product information: Ferguson Ariva HDcombo

SW version: 021

HW version: 003

Thanks for any help

If your question is rgarding Fergusen Ariva HD Combo, then the answer is no.
    The latest firmware is
    SW 025
    HW 003
    update October 20, 2010

You can DL it from the Fergusen eu wbsite.
    THe 025 version is good for the latest Cyfra+ smartcards.
    Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Niteadds

hi tony. could you help me out. im in need of second ariva 100e box to breath live back into my own. i attempted to update it via the web and got ashed. i was told by the shop that i bought my kit from that the only way to fix it is with a firmware copy over. i would take it back to him for this only my wife and i both work past their opening hours and he doesn't open on sat. so i was wondering if you could help me with this and how much do you charge for something like this.

thanks
    mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'm sorry I cannot answer all your questions as commercial interaction is forbidden on this forum. I can say though thet you do not need another box necessarily as you can do this with a laptop , null modem lead and bootloader file from ferguson. It might be an idea to start another thread as this one is for the ferguson combo, the 100E although similar is not a combo.

Niteadds wrote: »
    hi tony. could you help me out. im in need of second ariva 100e box to breath live back into my own. i attempted to update it via the web and got ashed. i was told by the shop that i bought my kit from that the only way to fix it is with a firmware copy over. i would take it back to him for this only my wife and i both work past their opening hours and he doesn't open on sat. so i was wondering if you could help me with this and how much do you charge for something like this.

thanks
    mike

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Galsat

Hi, does any one know why when box is turned on 3 out of 5 times the picture/remote freezes and the power has to be turned off and on again to box to get box working again. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Galsat wrote: »
    Hi, does any one know why when box is turned on 3 out of 5 times the picture/remote freezes and the power has to be turned off and on again to box to get box working again. thanks

I can't say I've ever had that problem with the box, what firmware are you running on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Galsat

Hi, im not to sure as i installed it for a friend of a friend and that is the only complaint he has. thanks:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jay5296

You'll find your firmware version in the menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Galsat wrote: »

Just came across your post, I'm having a similar problem. It happens when you switch quickly between satellites, only a reboot solves it.

• Advertisement

Just came across your post, I'm having a similar problem. It happens when you switch quickly between satellites, only a reboot solves it.

What SW do you have. I think the most update is SW 025.
    I had a problem with loosing Irish digital channels - I would plug out box every night and on powering box next morning Irish channels may be gone.

I got SW 025 from Ferguson web site and loaded onto box, this problem is now sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

Hi Guys,

just wondering anyone having problems with the HD channels causing a reboot, when i go to channel4 hd it always reboots.
    driving me nuts.

kind regards
    fergald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Lads, what format does the recording come out as? Is it .dvr by any chance? I've an openbox and I sometimes see tools for a ferguson been used on a openbox

No, the format for the Ferguson is ".ts",
    so it will play in VLC .

I have the Edison Combo, and it records in ".dvr"
    but it only seems to play in the free software program AVS Media Player

To make matters more confusing, any videos that i have recorded in ".avi" on my external hard drive will not play on the Ferguson, keep getting some error about codecs missing,
    but any film recorded on my external hard drive in ".vob" plays perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 girt4s

Hi, I have one question about video files from USB. I would like to know is it possible to run a XviD encoded video on this device. When I try to do that, it says that "Video codec is not supported". Is there any software updates that could help? And if there is, could someone post a link how to install it to this device? Thanks.

girt4s wrote: »
    Hi, I have one question about video files from USB. I would like to know is it possible to run a XviD encoded video on this device. When I try to do that, it says that "Video codec is not supported". Is there any software updates that could help? And if there is, could someone post a link how to install it to this device? Thanks.

I don't think there is a solution for this problem.
    Perhaps the new Ariva models do support the xvid format.

• Advertisement

There are several channels on this transponder on Hot Bird 13E, but for some odd reason scanning doesn't pull in any channels.
    http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/orangepolska.html

transponder Details:
    12,476 H DVB-S2 8PSK 27500 FEC 3/4 but with no luck.
    Also tried to setup the channels using the editor, but no results.
    I would appreciate it if someone who has this model can check if the receiver has these channels already in the channels list.
    Thanks for any help on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

i can't record on a external hard drive. ariva 120 combo using WD Elements usb 2.0 NTFS file system with external power. plug the USB into my desktop it works perfect. plug it into the usb slot in the ariva, nothing happens. in the REC menu the only option is time setting. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It can only record in FAT. You will have to reformat.

According to the Ariva 120 manual

15.1 Storage info
    This menu displays basic information about the connected USB memory device. An additional
    option allows you to format the memory device. Press the yellow button in order to select the
    file system in which the device is to be formatted. Two options are available: FAT and NTFS.
    Both file systems are supported correctly, however due to the lack of limitations regarding the size of written files and greater reliability, we recommend using the NTFS system.

Therefore NTFS should be OK.
    What is the size of the HDD? In the Ariva HD Combo there was a size limit of 750GB (but only FAT 32 is supported for this model).

I think your problem could be due to something else.
    Try to disable the CD Drive, if you see something like this when you look at the HDD using your PC and Windows Explorer or My Computer.
    I had this problem with my WD Essential 3.5" External.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Does this come with a cable to connect to the dish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

Does this come with a cable to connect to the dish?

There's no such wire with the box, you'll have to buy your own with f-connectors at the right length to suit.

Another quick question, have been searching around to see if anybody has gotten this box to work with a universal remote control along with trying a couple myself and have come up with nothing. Is there any such remote out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

actua11 wrote: »
    Another quick question, have been searching around to see if anybody has gotten this box to work with a universal remote control along with trying a couple myself and have come up with nothing. Is there any such remote out there?

RCU 500 codes and key button schematic
    http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/faq/rcus/153-rcu-500-codes.html

How do I get saorview on this box?

How do I get saorview on this box?

Can you be more specific? Its a satellite and digital terrestrial receiver that receives Uk freesat channels using a dish and saorview channels using an aerial

Tony wrote: »
    Can you be more specific? Its a satellite and digital terrestrial receiver that receives Uk freesat channels using a dish and saorview channels using an aerial

I have rabbit ears connected to the box but when i do a terrestrial scan it wont pick up saorview. Is this because the tv doesn't have mpeg5?

• Advertisement

I have rabbit ears connected to the box but when i do a terrestrial scan it wont pick up saorview. Is this because the tv doesn't have mpeg5?

No its most likely the rabbits ears is not picking up the saorview signal.

Tony wrote: »
    No its most likely the rabbits ears is not picking up the saorview signal.

It works in the living room with the rabbit ears connected to a tv with mpeg5. A case of moving the rabbit ears around id say.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's MHEG5 that's lacking on the Ariva, which is middleware for digital Aertel, redbutton services if they even happen, etc. For general viewing, Saorview uses MPEG4 for video, which the Ariva has of course.

I think an indoor UHF aerial would suit better than "rabbit ears" which are more suited to VHF signals.

See here and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vindiesel

Firmware

Hi,any advantage in upgrading from V2.15B8 to latest version?
    regards vindiesel

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

vindiesel wrote: »
    Firmware

Hi,any advantage in upgrading from V2.15B8 to latest version?
    regards vindiesel

I have done this upgrade and the only difference I can tell is that when you press the exit key on the remote, the recent play list comes up which is annoying considering that a button already exists on the remote for this.

I was hoping the new upgrade would sort out when after a recording all the DTT radio channels disappear. Highly annoying it is for me anyways.

Also my other one of these boxes will freeze constantly if left on a HD Channel for a period of time. But I have not upgraded that box yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

+1 highly annoying that recent playlist now appears on exit button.

Looking forward to resolution to the loss of information when recording as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rpm1966

Hi, I have an Ariva 200 Combo. I use it as a PVR and for piping an analogue signal to another room via a Triax device and it does so quite well.

However, I seem to have some quirky problems with the PVR function.

Usually when I record something it is saved on the USB drive with the wrong name - ie it is saved with the name of the previous program rather then the one that I want to record (presumably the EPG lags a bit).

I have resorted to changing the time of each recording to start a minute later (eg 17:01 instead of 17:00). But that is a pain to have to do.

Is there another solution?

I tried changing the time on the box by a minute but it reverts to the correct time periodically - particularly on power-up.

I have Ariva HD Combo and I usually change the name of the recorded program. Just use rename (yellow button), delete the name that is given with Clear (red button) and input a new name (limited to 14 characters).
    I think there is a possibility to give a scheduled program your desired name from the schedule menu. I never tried this, but in your case it might be worth trying, especially for EPG scheduled recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Hi lads just a question in regards to epg/pvr function on ariva 120. info for saorview channels - is there any? ie ability to see current/future programme schedule and set to record a-la upc box. Secondly, will a usb pen drive work for recording, or is it just hard-drives? Lastly, while recording can you still watch all channels on your box (ie both saorview and satellite channels)?And if the answer to any of these questions is no does anyone know a combo box that will perform all these functions??? Maybe i'm just being wishful! Many thanks in advance

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    Hi lads just a question in regards to epg/pvr function on ariva 120. info for saorview channels - is there any? ie ability to see current/future programme schedule and set to record a-la upc box. Secondly, will a usb pen drive work for recording, or is it just hard-drives? Lastly, while recording can you still watch all channels on your box (ie both saorview and satellite channels)?And if the answer to any of these questions is no does anyone know a combo box that will perform all these functions??? Maybe i'm just being wishful! Many thanks in advance

I have Ariva Combo HD, but I can share my PVR experience.
    1 - The EPG (where available by the broadcaster) does show the programming for several days ahead and I can record a specific program by selecting it and then click the OPT button (Options button).
    2 - A USB flash can record, but I will not be able to use it for time shift as I need a larger size. Perhaps with a 16GB it should be OK, but I hate to see the LED flashing all the time as the USB connector is in the front also the flash can get an unintentional bashing.
    With external HDD, the USB flexible cable makes more user friendly.
    You have to be very carefull with external HDD. You must always uninstall before disconnecting it from the system.
    3 - You can record and watch another TV channel, provided they are both in the same transponder. No problem with SD channels, but this didn't work for HD. Perhaps the Ariva 120 is better than my older model.
    I was told that this works well for all DTT channels, but I had problems going back to the recorded TV channel so I use this only for the Sat SD channels.
    Hope this helps.

My Ariva HD Combo has stopped recording a scheduled list.
    It records the first one on the list fine, but then it stops recording till I wake up and get disappointed.
    I noticed this only for night schedules and I am wondering if anybody has had such an experience and what is the solution.
    Perhaps rebooting might do the trick and I will try this today, but it would help to hear from users who had this before.
    Thanks.

victory10 wrote: »
    My Ariva HD Combo has stopped recording a scheduled list.
    It records the first one on the list fine, but then it stops recording till I wake up and get disappointed.
    I noticed this only for night schedules and I am wondering if anybody has had such an experience and what is the solution.
    Perhaps rebooting might do the trick and I will try this today, but it would help to hear from users who had this before.
    Thanks.

Here is an update about the probem.
    Rebooting the receiver helped for a day or two, but then it stopped recording.
    Then I noticed that the HDD free size is about 30GB, so I started to delete recording that I do not need anymore until the free size was about 100GB.
    This seems to have helped to resolve the problem.
    I don't understand why does it need more than 30GB when timeshift is switched off.

I am interested in buying the Ariva 210, but I don't want to be disappointed again by having small text for menus and subtitles like the Ariva HD Combo has.
    I would appreciate it if someone who has this exact model or a similar like Ariva 220 to let me know if this model has a decent font size.
    Another request is to know if this model can record ALL the subtitles from TV channels (SD, NOT HD) that have multi-languages such as TV5 Europe on Hot Bird, which sends about 6-8 subtitles (on occasions, especially movies, including English).
    A simple test is to wait until this channel has a program that sends several languages at the same time, then record few minutes, stop and play the recording while changing the subtitle.
    This might not be possible as the white button (on Ariva HD Combo)doesn't function to switch subtitles during play, but perhaps on the newer models it does.
    If not, then try to extract everything from the recording (video, audio, teletext, subtitle pages) using ProjectX, if you are familiar with how to use it
    Thanks for your assistance.

All of a sudden, the Ariva HD Combo stopped recording encrypted channels, only FTA.
    Has anybody experienced this before and what is the solution?
    Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

All of a sudden, the Ariva HD Combo stopped recording encrypted channels, only FTA.
    Has anybody experienced this before and what is the solution?
    Thanks for any help.

Maybe the card needs an update and the Ariva can't do it?

• Advertisement

gtg60 wrote: »
    Maybe the card needs an update and the Ariva can't do it?

Nothing to do with card. It is the receiver.
    Will try reverting to factory defaults over the weekend, unless someone can suggest a better solution over the next 48 hours.

Using factory defaults sorted out the recording problem of encrypted channels.
    It was a bit of a headache, but well woth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

I have Ariva Combo HD, but I can share my PVR experience.
    1 - The EPG (where available by the broadcaster) does show the programming for several days ahead and I can record a specific program by selecting it and then click the OPT button (Options button).
    2 - A USB flash can record, but I will not be able to use it for time shift as I need a larger size. Perhaps with a 16GB it should be OK, but I hate to see the LED flashing all the time as the USB connector is in the front also the flash can get an unintentional bashing.
    With external HDD, the USB flexible cable makes more user friendly.
    You have to be very carefull with external HDD. You must always uninstall before disconnecting it from the system.
    3 - You can record and watch another TV channel, provided they are both in the same transponder. No problem with SD channels, but this didn't work for HD. Perhaps the Ariva 120 is better than my older model.
    I was told that this works well for all DTT channels, but I had problems going back to the recorded TV channel so I use this only for the Sat SD channels.
    Hope this helps.

Hi guys,
    I have a ariva 120 and when I record say bbc1, I can only watch one other sat channel say itv1, and then the rest are the rte's channels.
    I watch mostly the uk channels so recording only happens when i'm out or in bed.
    Is this the norm for the ariva 120 or has it something to do with my hard drive or am I doing something wrong please advise. I have a imogen 500 hdd plugged in but not mains operated but records no problem from timer/pause etc.
    Many thanks for any advice given

pat1981 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have a ariva 120 and when I record say bbc1, I can only watch one other sat channel say itv1, and then the rest are the rte's channels.
    I watch mostly the uk channels so recording only happens when i'm out or in bed.
    Is this the norm for the ariva 120 or has it something to do with my hard drive or am I doing something wrong please advise. I have a imogen 500 hdd plugged in but not mains operated but records no problem from timer/pause etc.
    Many thanks for any advice given

Hi,

You can record a SAT channel and view another one, provided they are both on the same SATELLITE transponder

Looking at the link below
    http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html

and assuming that you meant the BBC1 HD and ITV1 HD (Meridian South East), this makes sense, because they are both on transponder 10,847

If the RTE channels are the DTT channels, then I think this is possible with the Ariva to view terrestrial channels.

If I missed something (I can't receive Astra 2D), then please clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PAULMC73

I am interested in buying the Ariva 210. Can I watch iplayer on it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement