Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well I won’t be taking any bill for an engineer that’s for sure. Granted I’ve never needed an engineer, **** that. I’d consider it part of their support agreement to me as a customer and even if he doesn’t find something it rules out issues.

Some of those "engineers" couldn't find the nose on their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Some of those "engineers" couldn't find the nose on their face.

Being an Engineer myself, I can confirm this is true for "some" of us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Do I need to cancel direct debit myself when terminating Virgin Media broadband contract? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So a very helpful engineer was out today.

Identified the frequency on the Downstream channel was too low, meaning the upstream was too high (or something along those lines) so he fitted something to the cable that goes into the router. Said it will balance the frequencies.

Then refit the box on the wall, which was hanging since I first moved into the house.

Also then said there does appear to be an issue with upload speeds, but looks to be coming from outside the house. So said another set of engineers will be out to the road hopefully tomorrow maybe Friday, and they'll sort that part out.

Looking at that thinkbroadband graph, not a spike since he left. So fingers crossed, I'm all sorted

*EDIT* Think I spoke to soon

*EDIT 2* Contacted technical support as the line has even shot up into the thousands for ms latency, but maybe I heard the engineer wrong or he didn't explain it to me, but according to his note he booked another team to come out tomorrow who are actually going to deal with my line specifically. could have sworn he said on the road, but fair enough, atleast things are organised and hopefully get sorted.

Absolutely spoke too son.

Two days off work for engineer visited. Four scheduled time slots. Six phone calls to support, 8 WhatsApp messages.

Second engineer no show over two days.

Formal complaint raised today. To say I’m fuming is an understatement

• Advertisement

WEll after 5 promised scheduled visits that didnt materialise had someone out yesterday. Line technician. Nice guy, not entirely sure if he did anything, but he said there is something on the road behind he needs to get to and a neighbour keeps blocking it with their van.

Said he'll hopefully get to it in the coming days. But I'm now into god knows how long with my line just being rubbish. Constant ping and lag spikes. New CoD out and so frustrating playing it just having this freeze and lag all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What are the routers like that Virgin are supplying these days for their non 1Gb products? With Sky Q I've never needed to set their router to modem mode and use my Archer, will I need to find it, and my powerlink plugs, again if I were to rejoin?

TheDoc wrote: »
    WEll after 5 promised scheduled visits that didnt materialise had someone out yesterday. Line technician. Nice guy, not entirely sure if he did anything, but he said there is something on the road behind he needs to get to and a neighbour keeps blocking it with their van.

Said he'll hopefully get to it in the coming days. But I'm now into god knows how long with my line just being rubbish. Constant ping and lag spikes. New CoD out and so frustrating playing it just having this freeze and lag all the time

So latest update in my saga.

Was advised Friday to disconnect my own router and use theirs for the weekend so they can collect a period of stats and information. Promised a phonecall back Monday.

c2b134dfc3f83e9d5d26e7365953ffbc.png

The latency I'm feeling in games is ridiculous. And then on top I've lost near 200+mbps using theirs as opposed to mine on the main gaming PC.

To add insult to injury, was advised their complaints department closed my case without any contact? Agent on phone raised another and said I should be contacted shortly.

This is all turning into a bit of a nightmare to be frank. New WoW expansion next week, literally couldn't have a worse time for my internet to **** the bed

Hurrache wrote: »
    What are the routers like that Virgin are supplying these days for their non 1Gb products? With Sky Q I've never needed to set their router to modem mode and use my Archer, will I need to find it, and my powerlink plugs, again if I were to rejoin?

I'm back using theirs after years on my Archer.

Lost about 200+mbps on WiFi. And suffering this crazy packet loss but I'm sure that is just an issue with my line.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭raxy

We had the virgin 240MB broadband before & cancelled it a few months ago. We've been using a three sim in a TP Link MR600 router for the last few months but its pretty crap so going back to virgin, offers are better now anyway.
    One of the reasons we cancelled is because of crap wifi, zoom calls constantly having problems, which didn't happen as much with the three sim. If I get the 250MB broadband it will come with the old router so I was wondering if I can use the TP link router I have for wifi instead of the virgin router? If not I'm thinking of getting the 500MB deal to get the better router.

The only other option we would have for internet where we are is Eir/vodafone but that will only give me about 10 mbs. Would we be crazy to get that instead (wouldn't go back to eir again but 1 of the other suppliers)? We would only be using it for netflix etc, no gaming or anything too demanding.

• Advertisement

raxy wrote: »
    We had the virgin 240MB broadband before & cancelled it a few months ago. We've been using a three sim in a TP Link MR600 router for the last few months but its pretty crap so going back to virgin, offers are better now anyway.
    One of the reasons we cancelled is because of crap wifi, zoom calls constantly having problems, which didn't happen as much with the three sim. If I get the 250MB broadband it will come with the old router so I was wondering if I can use the TP link router I have for wifi instead of the virgin router? If not I'm thinking of getting the 500MB deal to get the better router.

The only other option we would have for internet where we are is Eir/vodafone but that will only give me about 10 mbs. Would we be crazy to get that instead (wouldn't go back to eir again but 1 of the other suppliers)? We would only be using it for netflix etc, no gaming or anything too demanding.

You won't get the new router with the 500 meg package I don't think the new 1 gig service is up to a lot tbh. I googled your SIM router but unfortunately it doesn't have a wan port to connect to the VM hub. I used a Tplink archer C8 for 3 years with the hub in modem mode until it went belly up. I'm using an Asus RT 86 now and it blows the archer out of the water. It's definitely worth the money and the service is rock solid, I'm on 360 BB and phone just starting a half price for 6 months deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭raxy

You won't get the new router with the 500 meg package I don't think the new 1 gig service is up to a lot tbh. I googled your SIM router but unfortunately it doesn't have a wan port to connect to the VM hub. I used a Tplink archer C8 for 3 years with the hub in modem mode until it went belly up. I'm using an Asus RT 86 now and it blows the archer out of the water. It's definitely worth the money and the service is rock solid, I'm on 360 BB and phone just starting a half price for 6 months deal.

Their website shows the new router with the 500MB package, maybe a mistake.
    The MR600 does have a WAN port, its 1 of the reasons I picked it thinking I would be able to use it with fixed broadband as well as mobile.
    I might give the 250MB deal a go & if my router doesn't work I'll get the 1 you mentioned.
    Thanks.

raxy wrote: »
    Their website shows the new router with the 500MB package, maybe a mistake.
    The MR600 does have a WAN port, its 1 of the reasons I picked it thinking I would be able to use it with fixed broadband as well as mobile.
    I might give the 250MB deal a go & if my router doesn't work I'll get the 1 you mentioned.
    Thanks.

That would be perfect. The one that turned up in my search didn't have a dedicated wan port, can you change one of the ethernet ports? I'm on the phone atm I'll post a link to the Asus just in case you need to buy it.

Hello can someone help me there I have 500mb virgin media internet and my speed lees dropping.

When I am downloading rarely I get 50mb a second the full speed but mostly nor I only get between 20mb - 25mb on my internet 5ghz would I be best to try an Ethernet connection instead?

Techole USB 3.0 Hub Aluminum USB Ethernet Adapter Splitter with RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Network LAN Port - 3 Ports USB 3.0 HUB -Type C Adapter for Windows 7/8/10, Linux,Mac,ChromeBook,PC etc https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0792S3SMB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_dlC_wzpXFb9CNWCNA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Would this work for Amazon and now I’m just confused about cat cables which one I need I have 50b internet but I’d like something that supports up to 1 gigabit if I upgrade in the future.

How far away are you from your router? It may be well down to distance or the device you're using.

How far away are you from your router? It may be well down to distance or the device you're using.

I’m in the sitting room right next to the box

And what do you get via ethernet?

And what do you get visa ethernet?

get 50mb a second the full speed but mostly nor I only get between 20mb - 25mb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

If you have a 500Mbps connection 50 isn’t the full speed.

garo wrote: »
    If you have a 500Mbps connection 50 isn’t the full speed.

OP means actual download speed of the data which is always 1/10 of the connection speed, so, they are getting around 500 as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

S.E.A.L.s wrote: »
    OP means actual download speed of the data which is always 1/10 of the connection speed, so, they are getting around 500 as expected.

This does not sound right. Are you (and OP) confusing Mbps and MBps?

garo wrote: »
    This does not sound right. Are you (and OP) confusing Mbps and MBps?

If I had a penny... :rolleyes:

- 500 Mbps (connection)
    - 50 MBps (download rate)

At least, that's what I'm reading from the OP's message :)

If I had a penny... :rolleyes:

- 500 Mbps (connection)
    - 50 MBps (download rate)

At least, that's what I'm reading from the OP's message :)

50 MB/s = 400 Mb/s so he's close enough.

50 MB/s = 400 Mb/s so he's close enough.

No, this is awful, just terrible and if anything we should all be getting 5,000 MB/s minimum at all times, even wireless with 15 walls/ceilings between our favourite seat and the router!!! :p

No, this is awful, just terrible and if anything we should all be getting 5,000 MB/s minimum at all times, even wireless with 15 walls/ceilings between our favourite seat and the router!!! :p

Easily sorted with a thousand euros worth of nests...:D Hey Alexa do a speed test...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

I am using the Archer C7 using the steps in the first few posts of this thread.

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to the Archer AX10 (currently €100 in powercity) and if it is a better option as the C7 randomly loses wifi signal daily and needs to be turned off/on?

Thanks.

Plascebo wrote: »
    I am using the Archer C7 using the steps in the first few posts of this thread.

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to the Archer AX10 (currently €100 in powercity) and if it is a better option as the C7 randomly loses wifi signal daily and needs to be turned off/on?

Thanks.

Just seen that the AX20 is not that much dearer again. Anyone switch?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Just seen that the AX20 is not that much dearer again. Anyone switch?"

Sorry Plascebo, just saw this, but I actually happened to buy the AX20 for my sister recently. Was a bargain at £69 on amazon. Only have it a short time, but seems like a very nice router and has been worked fine for now. I like that it has the ability to work as part of a mesh network if needed in future.

My sister is only limited to 80mb/s VDSL, however on internal speed tests from a modern Wifi 6 supporting iPad Air, I'm seeing speeds of up to 865mb/s!

It is probably way overkill for her needs, but it has nicely fixed the terrible performance she was getting out of her ISP supplied router, about 5mb/s in some rooms!

Thanks for the reply bk, went for this in the end:

Was reduced to €125 on amazon.de yesterday. Just wondering if there is any configuration I need to do to the router before using it, like I had to do with the C7?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ah yes those ASUS routers are great too. If I was getting a new one myself I’d probably go with an Asus one myself.

Setup should be straight forward, just unplug your C7 and put the Asus in its place. Most likely everything else should just work, but ask here if you run into any issues.

Advertisement