Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop falls foul of the Traveller lobby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

There has been a huge number of covid cases in the traveller community , not surprisingly with all the big communion parties etc attended by large extended families. Nothing about that on RTÉ ??
    It won’t change either as they won’t be stopped at garda checkpoints particularly by female gardai who are afraid of their lives of them .
    The garda checkpoints will be for hounding the law abiding .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It sounds like you spend a fair bit of time listening to a podcast you hate

I gave it a chance as I like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

There is absolutely nothing irrational about hating travellers. I've only ever had dealings with them twice and both times they deserved all the hate directed at them including killing my dog when they broke into my parents house many years ago.

It's amazing the way 90% of Irish people can form on opinion about travellers many through personal experience and yet seemingly it's these people in the wrong and the travellers in the right according to the media circle jerk.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    It won’t change either as they won’t be stopped at garda checkpoints particularly by female gardai who are afraid of their lives of them .

Oh really?
    All the female gardai told you that did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

LuasSimon wrote: »
    There has been a huge number of covid cases in the traveller community , not surprisingly with all the big communion parties etc attended by large extended families .

Haha ya cause the settled community definitely weren't doing that. Very strict on the numbers at funerals settled people are too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

There is absolutely nothing irrational about hating travellers. I've only ever had dealings with them twice and both times they deserved all the hate directed at them including killing my dog when they broke into my parents house many years ago.

If you made that comment about any other minority group, you'd be banned. Or at least you would have been, back in the days when racism wasn't allowed on Boards.

There absolutely is something irrational about hating all Travellers because some Travellers killed your dog.

As for Des Bishop - if he had said "A disproportionately high amount of Travellers are violent or involved in crime" the likes of Pavee Point may well have been annoyed with him - probably even more annoyed - because it's demonstrably true.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Everlong1

bubblypop wrote: »
    Oh really?
    All the female gardai told you that did they?

There's a serious issue with a lot of Gardai refusing to tackle anti-social behaviour by the sound of it.

You'd wonder is it fears of being accused of racism or just plain old reluctance to tackle thuggery that's behind it. I'd normally be very reluctant to criticise the Guards as they have the worst job imaginable, but at this stage I've heard so many tales on Boards about Gardai refusing to tackle thuggery that you have to wonder.

Police in England were reluctant to tackle child sex exploitation among the Muslim community in England for fear of racism accusations, which actually led to the abuse going on long after it was known about by the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

.anon. wrote: »
    If you made that comment about any other minority group, you'd be banned. Or at least you would have been, back in the days when racism wasn't allowed on Boards.

True, but reality plays a role. Most minorities don't manage such a high rate of stereotypical behavior as our ethnic minorities.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just saw it's that fool Beanz Ward that brought this up.

Terrible comedian who mocks "buffers" yet doesn't like when travellers are mocked. Hypocrite.

martin BEANZ ward isnt especially funny but he seems like a sound enough bloke

would be a shame if he decided to jump on the grievance train which so many well known travellers ( DR sindy joyce etc ) have made of living from

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    that twitter scrap about bishop and the tinkers is a month old

Ya but the people who are constantly outraged at the "constantly outraged" are outraged so they need a thread to show outrage about the fact that people they don't like are outraged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's amazing the way 90% of Irish people can form on opinion about travellers many through personal experience and yet seemingly it's these people in the wrong and the travellers in the right according to the media circle jerk.

the media tribe despise middle ireland , eulogizing travellers is just another way of showing us their contempt

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Everlong1

the media tribe despise middle ireland , eulogizing travellers is just another way of showing us their contempt

Just as well you have a charismatic celebrity championing your cause....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cE99HzgxVw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

martin BEANZ ward isnt especially funny but he seems like a sound enough bloke

would be a shame if he decided to jump on the grievance train which so many well known travellers ( DR sindy joyce etc ) have made of living from

+1 Any time I have seen him comment he seemed like a decent fella, and making fair enough comments.

Hd shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as that Connors fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

They should call him out good and proper like all his family. They are a bucket o' Sugar. They were always that way and before them they were. Now Bishop better assemble his crew and come and meet them, tooled up and all. The first man who hits the floor is a big girls blouse and he wont marry and sister o' mine let me tell you that.

Seriously, Travellers are sacred cows. You can say anything to them, they can be disciplined in the courts or though education and people wondering why they act feral. The carrot approach has failed, what options are left?

Hahaha they should make a YouTube video on de cumputers, and christen him sh1te-in-the-mic :pac::pac::pac:

Everlong1 wrote: »
    There's a serious issue with a lot of Gardai refusing to tackle anti-social behaviour by the sound of it.

You'd wonder is it fears of being accused of racism or just plain old reluctance to tackle thuggery that's behind it. I'd normally be very reluctant to criticise the Guards as they have the worst job imaginable, but at this stage I've heard so many tales on Boards about Gardai refusing to tackle thuggery that you have to wonder.

Police in England were reluctant to tackle child sex exploitation among the Muslim community in England for fear of racism accusations, which actually led to the abuse going on long after it was known about by the authorities.

None of that is true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I fail to see where anything he said was untrue or unfair to be honest. The social problems he speaks about are backed up by crime and literacy statistics, and on the flipside while I would hesitate to call what they are subjected to "racist" (because I think it's dubious to acknowledge the dodgy claim that their historical profession and current lifestyle choices represent a different ethnicity to the rest of us) they are definately discriminated against as he points out.

Their own behaviour reinforces the discrimination and the discrimination seems to increase their alienation to the rest of us and reinforces the bad behaviour that section of society is rife with. Hard to see a way around it for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For a crowd with a disproportionate number of their kind in the prison population (10% Male, 22% female but only making up 0.6% of general population all told) the Guards are picking them up and shoving them behind bars somehow.

Can't say I envy what they have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Hard to see a way around it for anyone.

A good start would be to acknowledge that not all Travellers are the same. By referring to "their own behaviour" you fail to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I've no connection whatsoever to the Traveller community but have a face and physiology that deems me to be one within seconds in loads of pubs and public places I've been to. Of course, the person saying it 'knows' that they are spot on and have flawless deity like judgement that doesn't require investigation or the actual spade work of talking to the person that's piqued their curiosity and pre conceived notions.

Actual Travellers wherever they are have actually done me less harm than these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

bubblypop wrote: »
    None of that is true

You couldn't be more wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

"The failure [by police] to address the abuse was attributed to a combination of factors revolving around race, class and gender [and] fear that the perpetrators ethnicity would trigger allegations of racism"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He should apologise for his act and go back to 'merica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Slideways wrote: »
    Tell them to fûck off.

If they feel so slighted by it, sue him. See how that pans out in court for them. It’s not slander if it’s true
    It will be funny though on the day of the court hearing, when 875,000 people show up as defense witnesses for Des :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Reminds me of the time in 2005 when Justice Minister Michael McDowell (not well liked) suffered a shotgun attack on his partly-built holiday home - Gardai had narrowed the number of suspects down to two million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Bishop has been taking the piss out of this country for years. I find him patronising. I could forgive him if he was funny, but he patently isn't. He has been tweedely didedly on Ireland all along. He thinks the I - rishness of everything is comical, he really should just phuck off, the joke is over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet.

Des Bishop has apparently fallen foul of the Traveller lobby for comments he made TWO YEARS AGO in an American radio interview. Seemingly the Traveller community has only discovered now how outraged they should be.

Reading through his comments in the article below, it appears to me that he's being condemned for, as usual, simply stating facts about Traveller life that the dogs in the street can tell you.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/travellers-call-on-comedian-des-bishop-to-apologise-for-absolutely-appalling-comments-1.4386964

Pavy point obviously just catching up on old news FFS. I've never liked Des Bishop, actually he's the worst comedian we've ever inherited, I've no doubt his comments were meant to create drama, publicity, attention (not so successful given we're only learning about them 2 years after the fact) but that aside, is he wrong????????????????????????????????, I'll hold by tongue

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why in all that's a rats tail would he apologise for, I liked him, now not so much.

You need to stand up for what you believe in and see and travellers in many instances are absolutely ripping the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

.anon. wrote: »
    A good start would be to acknowledge that not all Travellers are the same. By referring to "their own behaviour" you fail to do that.

Every single person posting here knows not every traveler is the same.

We all know there are some decent travellers, some lovely folks we would enjoy being around.

But there are also a lot of terrible scumbags who ruin everything around them.

Requesting we point out they're not all the same is a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

NIMAN wrote: »
    I read the article.

He didn't say anything that wasn't true.

Exactly.

Can pavee point or any member of traveling community show where any part of his commentary is unrepresentative of real life in the their community.

They do tend to drink excessively, they do tend to be feudal, they are violent in many ways and they are prone to be very criminal in their dealings with decent people especially elderly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm just confused as to how this nobody got on US radio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm just confused as to how this nobody got on US radio?

I'm equally confused how he ended up over here, just awful to listen too and even worse to look at on TV, I was kinda enjoying any mention of him for months now.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement