Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks a million. :)
    cyborg wrote: »
    If stacked carefully it should be OK, I wouldn't be throwing the blocks into it as you will damage the sides

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I had one of those and the sides went after a while and the lid blew off with a storm, be very careful with it they aren’t as strong as they look

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is there a shortage on kindling or something this year? I notice tesco don't seem to have any this year. Used to pick up a back every week. Maybe it's just my local?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Try your local Aldi, mine has had a load of it in the middle isle for a few weeks now

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

5500 wrote: »
    Try your local Aldi, mine has had a load of it in the middle isle for a few weeks now

Cheers, yeah maybe my local tesco just aren't stocking it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is there a shortage on kindling or something this year? I notice tesco don't seem to have any this year. Used to pick up a back every week. Maybe it's just my local?

Lidl middle aisle have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Have many on here switched completely from coal to wood in their stove? If so how did you find that transition? Do you still use a mix of coal and wood?

We have a Stanley Erin with back boiler. I know the heat output won't be the same with the wood, but coal is such a mess and we'd usually be up and down at the damper controls when the fire gets too hot. Hoping the wood will give us a good steady heat tow the boiler and the room.

Only burn wood here. Find there's much less ashes than with coal.

Even though wood probably technically doesn't give off as much heat, I can't say I've noticed a difference and it feels like the wood has the advantage of getting the stove up to heat quicker, so if you're like us where it's mostly lit in the evening you will have a hot stove and rads quicker than with coal (in my experience at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭mjp

I know it depends on how well they packed but on average what cubic metre would be in 1 tonne bags of wood. Quoted €60 for tonne bag of softwood. Dried but not kiln dried. Could I leave it in shed to dry out further and would that dry to kiln dried level of moisture in year or so? Paying €130 for crate of 1.2 cubic metres of kiln dried ash. Seller also has crate of kiln dried teak wood for about €80. Anyone know what it's like to burn in wood burning stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

mjp wrote: »
    I know it depends on how well they packed but on average what cubic metre would be in 1 tonne bags of wood. Quoted €60 for tonne bag of softwood. Dried but not kiln dried. Could I leave it in shed to dry out further and would that dry to kiln dried level of moisture in year or so? Paying €130 for crate of 1.2 cubic metres of kiln dried ash. Seller also has crate of kiln dried teak wood for about €80. Anyone know what it's like to burn in wood burning stove.
    Where are u getting 1.2 cubic metres of kiln dried ash for 130. It should be double the price!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

could be bargain of the year here

tell us more

The internet isn’t for everyone

Got the samples of Rocket Blaze today. Might give them a shot tomorrow (havent ordered wood yet...) Any tips on using the rocket blaze in a stove with a boiler? Break one up and light? Do you usually put a few in? I'll probably start small and take it from there.

Also if using Rocket Blaze exclusively, how many logs would you go through in an all day fire roughly, for those that do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭mjp

OmegaGene wrote: »
    could be bargain of the year here

tell us more

http://www.connollysawmills.com/contact-us.html

Based in turloughmore Galway. That's price collected from their factory but they do deliveries around Galway but minimum 2 crates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

chris_ie wrote: »
    Got the samples of Rocket Blaze today. Might give them a shot tomorrow (havent ordered wood yet...) Any tips on using the rocket blaze in a stove with a boiler? Break one up and light? Do you usually put a few in? I'll probably start small and take it from there.

Also if using Rocket Blaze exclusively, how many logs would you go through in an all day fire roughly, for those that do this?
    No need to break them up, they catch easily from a firelighter. As per ecologs advice, make a H from 4 logs with lighter in middle. Have the bottom two touching the lighter. In my smaller stove I use two with oak log on top.

You will see when you try them how quickly they burn. I don't think they are feasible as the sole source of heat. I have been using them now for a week with oak and it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

http://www.connollysawmills.com/contact-us.html

Based in turloughmore Galway. That's price collected from their factory but they do deliveries around Galway but minimum 2 crates.

Before anyone gets too excited that lose packed, akin to a half tonne bag job

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A tonne bag (or bulk bag) is typically 80x80x80cm so has just over 0.5m3 of volume but when wood is loosely stacked inside it also has about 30% of fresh air. So the bag would be the same as about 0.35m3 that is hand stacked well in a crate.

Drying in a shed with good airflow for a year will reduce moisture for sure. It also dries out well if you use an indoor log store and have it sitting there for 2 or 3 weeks before burning, you can get it down to about 8-12%. Get yourself a 20 quid moisture metre from Amazon or ebay so you can monitor it.

Have never heard of anyone burning teak before, I thought that was a much desired wood for furniture making so surprised to see a saw mill selling it as firewood though maybe it is off cuts. If you google calorific values of hardwoods you can find charts that compare the heat output of various hardwoods which will give you an idea of how it compares to oak or ash.

Heighway61 wrote: »
    No need to break them up, they catch easily from a firelighter. As per ecologs advice, make a H from 4 logs with lighter in middle. Have the bottom two touching the lighter. In my smaller stove I use two with oak log on top.

You will see when you try them how quickly they burn. I don't think they are feasible as the sole source of heat. I have been using them now for a week with oak and it works well.

Had a coal fire on earlier and was down to the embers. Threw on a rocket blaze log. Burnt through very quickly! Bout half hour. Threw on 2 more logs there 20mins ago and made sure vents were near closed off once fired up, which was fairly quick. Not much of a glow now and temperature dropping. So not sure what I’m doing wrong. If this is the way they’re supposed to be I don’t think I’d be getting a big batch! But going by others on here I must be doing something wrong.

Edit: Those 2 logs lasted bout an hour. Once the vent closed down temperature just dropped. Will need to see when I get other wood ordered. Don’t think the rocket blazes alone will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Got an ad on Facebook for Duhallow Sawmills near Mallow in Cork. Haven't had their stuff but prices on kiln dried oak seems good:
    2.3 cubic meter crate - €350 (FREE 2 bags of kindling)
    1.15 cubic meter crate - €185 (FREE bag of kindling)
    Delivery included within 20 miles, with "minimal" charges applying outside that. Not sure how far they'll go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Friend gave me the name of the guy who she gets it from and she's happy enough

Rang him and said that it was €5.50 a bag(not sure what size etc)

Asked him what wood and he said Ash hardwood and I'd have to order min 15 bags.

We only got stove installed recently and not lit it yet. Don't want to blow money if no good.

Any opinion or what should we try first?

Friend gave me the name of the guy who she gets it from and she's happy enough

Rang him and said that it was €5.50 a bag(not sure what size etc)

Find out the size or at least the weight as otherwise you are buying blindly. Also check if it is kiln dried to under 20%. 15 bags would be unlikely to last you the entire winter, you would go through one of the net bags the supermarkets/petrol stations sell in one fire.
    Got an ad on Facebook for Duhallow Sawmills near Mallow in Cork. Haven't had their stuff but prices on kiln dried oak seems good:
    2.3 cubic meter crate - €350 (FREE 2 bags of kindling)
    1.15 cubic meter crate - €185 (FREE bag of kindling)
    Delivery included within 20 miles, with "minimal" charges applying outside that. Not sure how far they'll go though.

Thats an excellent price and the cheapest here on yet. Lots of places in Leinster are selling 1.2m3 of oak for 240-270 so 185 is a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

I’m sure this has been asked on here before, so apologies in advance, but could someone recommend a decent moisture meter. Had a look on Amazon, and there’s loads of options, so some hands on advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

deadduck wrote: »
    I’m sure this has been asked on here before, so apologies in advance, but could someone recommend a decent moisture meter. Had a look on Amazon, and there’s loads of options, so some hands on advice would be appreciated

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003CSNV2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Newbie to this whole kiln dried firewood thing, been using BNM Briquettes forever. Wow, why didn't I do this sooner!

Burns incredibly well, instant heat, low ash, no mess. The wood is stored in the living room and gives off a great Scandinavian Sauna vibe aroma, it also looks great stacked up. I also feel good that I am no longer butchering a finite bog resource.

If there are any downsides I'm not seeing them yet.

Newbie to this whole kiln dried firewood thing, been using BNM Briquettes forever. Wow, why didn't I do this sooner!

Burns incredibly well, instant heat, low ash, no mess. The wood is stored in the living room and gives off a great Scandinavian Sauna vibe aroma, it also looks great stacked up. I also feel good that I am no longer butchering a finite bog resource.

If there are any downsides I'm not seeing them yet.

What wood are you using? Open fire or Stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Just ordered the Jumbo Bag from Surefire. Fingers crossed I can finally give coal the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Any info on these https://wood2go.ie/
    Not too far from me but don't know anything about them, fairly new to the market I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

What's the difference between firewood vs hardwood?

What's the difference between firewood vs hardwood?

Any species of hardwood can be used as firewood for burning. But you wouldnt find something like walnut or cherrywood on sale as firewood, they are valuable hardwoods that are used for furniture making. Hardwoods for use as firewood in Ireland are typically oak, ash, beech, etc.

If a fuel merchant refers to firewood but doesnt say if it is hardwood then you can assume what they are selling is the cheaper softwood like pine, spruce or Douglas fir. Softwoods are not as dense as hardwoods so they dont burn as hot or for as long. Depending on species you might need up to twice the amount of softwood to get the same heat as hardwood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

My ton of rocket blaze ecologs arrived today .Fired up the stove in 13 x 13 ft room with three logs , left them burn for abt 30 mins and then I put a ash log in .

The heat is unreal , but you would want to use the ash logs as well to keep the costs down . Very pleased with my first test firing without coal .

Advertisement