Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I’m using one of those PSU, based on Steve’s recommendation, and it’s pretty nice.

I just swap a 9V power supply between my DC and Saturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Inviere

Gent @Steve X2, looks to be just the job 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It actually cleaned up my video signal a bit. I had some minor noise/interference before installing the ReSaturn PSU, but it was gone once I did(and used a good power brick as mentioned in my original post).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I do exactly the same thing, just swap the DC power barrel between the DC and Saturn when needed.

My Saturn started to act weird... pressing buttons that weren't being pressed... noise on the screen etc. All went away when I swapped out the PSU.

I suspect the caps on my original PSU are dying.

Aye noise on the screen is a dead giveaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Any folk remedies for getting scratches out of 3DS XL top-screen or is it a definite replacement job?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I got something like this one https://www.ebay.ie/itm/114582136855?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=5282-175127-2357-0&ssspo=1SdZ25lgTbi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=eG9Itd1TSZW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

just watch out for the small cover where the cable enters the saturn, they have different shapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Been 12 days since I've sent my Blast City's CRT Chassis over to Grant in the UK and... nothing. No update on the tracking since it was handed over from An Post to Parcelforce. :-/

I really hope that they haven't lost the damned thing considering that I put it as €1 value so that he wouldn't get stung for customs.

Would be just my luck too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Awh no, I saw you post on this thread and was hoping to see a photo posted of a lovely bright CRT in your Blast.

I also sent something over to the UK around the same time and there's been no update since Anpost handed it over to whomever on the 8th of November.

Am hoping it's just being held up by UK Customs.

Parcelforce seem to have an issue at the moment with their tracking info/site. I have stuff that was sent over recently that was delivered(confirmed by receiver) and had delivery details on the site that now all show as "In Progress" or just "...".

Have you confirmed with Grant that he didn't get it?

I haven't actually, no. I'll reach out to him now on UKVac and ask. Cheers.

Ohh brilliant! He just got back to me and said that it actually did turn up last week and that it's on his list of stuff to repair this week.

Crisis (and anxiety) averted.

Stupid Parcelforce...

Not sure why I didn't think to just do that in the first place but thanks for the suggestion Steve!

Incidentally the two screws for the monitor cavity in the back of the blast have seemingly gone walk about (I did manage to put all the screws for the chassis in a little baggie).

I don't suppose that anybody knows what type of screws they are? I remember them being machine type screws but no idea of the size or whatever. I'd like to just replace them when the chassis arrives again and I have to put everything back together.

I've been looking for a Mega Drive single rom cart for a while to use with hacks and translations and tried a few different versions of what people have. In the end I decided to make my own based on some older schematics available online so I could use any size EPROM I needed. I cleaned up the design quite a bit in Eagle and decided to go with a different PCB colour scheme than what most seem to use for these sorts of things. I really like having the option to use SMD or through-hole caps(and some small flexibility on where to position those caps is a bonus).

After 2 small batches from PCBWay to make sure all works and looks ok, I'm happy with the result. I have a few that support saves / battery sourced from etsy, but for 99.9% of what I want a standard cart like this is all I need. I might have gone a bit overboard by getting 100+ made, but the price was right so I said feck it, maybe I'll stick them on my site at some stage or give a few away.

I have Everdrives so I don't even need these. But I like the 1 game 1 cart idea and there's some cool and/or silly hacks out there I definitely want to make up a cart and box with artwork for (Fat Sonic for one 😀)

Edit:

I thought they might look cool in a white case. Nope, better in original black.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nicely done :)

If you are planning on making more of these I'd recommend making a few minor changes.

Add a 30 or 45 degree bevel to card edge, a build instruction for the fab house is all that should be needed.

The 29Fxxx can't be programmed on board (I think) so I'd add another smaller pitch card edge connector on the top side or pin header with all the necessary pins to flash those chips on board and a few 0 Ohm jumpers for any pins needing to tied high/low for normal operation.

Forgive the state of my workbench / coffee table but successfully modded my PAL N64 last night for full RGB Scart output using Tim Worthington's N64RGB 3.0 mod board.

Had a few issues with it and once thinking that I had accidentally killed the DENC-NUS on board but I managed to get it going again as I had just accidentally lifted a few pins.

Bit difficult to do as you need to solder directly to the legs on the DENC-NUS chip (and it's *so easy* to bridge those legs in such a small area) but all in all worth it and the picture quality towards the end is amazing.

Didn't want to faff with the controller shortcuts for enabling / disabling deblur so I installed a physical switch for that instead and only mutilated the case for it a little bit.

Appears to work well though!

The edge connector is actually bevelled, 30 degrees. It's really just to be used with EPROMS rather than the NOR flash(the NOR flash is a leftover of the old schematic I used and more a bonus as it only supports 8Mbit 🙂). But good idea on the small edge connector to program them, I'll look into that if I decide I want more(or a different colour 🙂).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ah cool, hard to see the bevel in the pics.

The flash is handy to have available as EEPROM are getting tougher to find - at least good ones anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I made a point over the last 6 months of finding decent sellers on ebay and aliexpress of eproms of various types. Took a few tries to find a reliable supply of non fakes. I even found genuine new old stock for a few types.

I don't mind when they repaint, re-etch pulls etc as long as they advertise it as such. It's the guys who do all that and try to sell them as new when in fact its just a paint job, re-etch and usually to cover up a slower or more common eprom.

I went way overboard as is my usual way and have enough stock for a shop now, when all i need is enough for my own personal use. At least I'm ok for the next couple decades anyway 🙂

Edit:

Slow moving the EPROMs from the tubes they come in to something a bit more manageable. I used conductive plastic for the 3D printed holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nicely done! Really coming along with your modding skills.

The guy who installed that on my N64 put the deblur switch on the bottom of the case.

I didn't actually realise it was there until I tried installing my N64DD and they wouldn't fit together properly. Ended up breaking the switch off! 😂

Has anyone switched over to USB C on their retro consoles? Any increase/decrease in audio or video interference?

After the chassis making 2 trips over to Grant in the UK I now have a working Egret 3 as of tonight. When I got the chassis back the first time all I was getting was a clicking sound and no picture at all. Lots of testing and trying suggestions from Grant, but no joy. Sent it back to him and all that was wrong was the horizontal output transistor was shorted for some reason. An easy fix, but expensive with shipping again to the UK. Anyway, all is well now and the picture is better than ever.

Of course all they want to play is Spyro on the PS1 emulator :0/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

I use USB C PD to power my Akai Force groovebox, it's 19v and I have a baseus 65W PD power bank so I can take it on the go. Also bought a usb c pd cable for my hp laptop which doesn't have power over usb c.

I never thought of using it for retro consoles. Tbh I haven't touched my retro gaming setup in a few years, kind of went past that phase but who knows I met get suckered back into it.

Myvolts Ripcord is another product that will use a normal USB A to DC barrell, that steps up the voltage but it's output is limited to a certain wattage. I presume it's not as efficient but will work with non USB PD chargers.

Has anyone here made custom video cables? Looking for good shielded cables with multiple internal wired for assorted video lines.

Got delivery from Grant last Tuesday but had been too busy to sort it out until now.

After an hour or so of reattaching cables and anode cap... Double triple checking my work AND breaking my damn back getting the tube back into the main body of the machine.... She lives! I'm so bloody happy!

Between postage, customs charges and repair fee it cost about €220 all in all. Definitely worth it.

Turns out the horizontal IC was shorted but he replaced vertical and horizontal ICs and did a full capacitor replacement too.

I'm very happy with the results and the image seems a lot better now too. No more random reds showing up on black screens like before.

Now all I need is a kill switch bypass cable as I've noticed that there's an issue with my kill switch. It didn't always happen but seems bad now.

The PSU will reset itself when I close / open the player control panel (where the secondary on / off switch and test buttons are) because the kill switch is being jolted by the vibration. I've verified it by tapping the wires going into the switch with a screwdriver.

So... Kill switch bypass cable ordered from Arcaniac in France.

Thank you so much everyone in here for the advice!

Post edited by MrVestek on

Got a question for folks.

Got any tips for calibrating the CRT? The picture looks great but the blacks seem to be much more... grey than they used to be. Like the screen is too bright.

I've adjusted the "screen" pot as much as I can along with the brightness pot on the remote board but I just can't seem to get the blacks to look... black. Does anyone know what I mean by this or am I being silly?

There’s a guide on Arcade Otaku’s wiki to methodically set the cutoff and gain for each colour channel to get things looking nice.

I had good success with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dug out my Famicom which might have had a wrong PSU plugged into it once, casing was in good condition but mainboard was kaput.

Many weeks later, another Famicom arrived with its case in not great condition but at least its working! I ordered up a replacement power/AV board from a lad in Ukraine. I think it was less than 10euro shipped. It does require a small mod to the case but ho-hum, composite'ness and it can now take a center pin positive power adapter from 7V~17V :D should be super safe from now on.

Tbh, I didn't think it would arrive - it took a good but of backwards/forwards via Telegram, bit of an effort to send the lad funds (card2card transfers are popular there, but I think only being considered here)...and yea know, the war.

I got a later version of the board from the lad, it has an option of a second set of composite outputs rather than an option for a smaller ballel jack power connector or micro-USB power input. Maybe useful for someone who'd want to stream the horror of composite?

Advertisement