Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah mine doesn't like certain CF cards either. Especially if you're trying to do WHDLoad via the PCMCIA slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Furia 020? They seem notoriously finnicky with what cards they work with. I'm waiting on the arrival of an 8GB Sandisk here, if that doesn't work I give up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This is the exact one I ordered for my A600 with Furia that works.

Sandisk SDSDB-008G SDHC Class 4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VUVA62/

Out of stock there, but plenty around on eBay etc.

That looks exactly like the x2 I ordered there on Adverts the other day. Fingers crossed! Cheers Steve

Are you using WinuAE to setup the image/SD card or doing it fresh on the system itself? I always find WinUAE very handy to work directly from the SD/CF card. Just make sure to take a backup of the SD card to an image using Win32DiskImager or similar :)

• Advertisement

Yep, full WinUAE setup....boots perfectly without the Furia attached, and the Furia is happy to boot without the SD card attached...they just won't play nicely together. Here's hoping the 8GB's do the trick

Nope, same result...the sd-card reader light just stays on green/read after a few seconds into the boot process. That's two types of card I've bought that people with Furia 020's have verified to work...yet the cards will happily boot into Workbench with the Furia not connected (Genuine Sandisk cards). It's annoying me now eating into my time, such a frustrating and stupid bug.

Not really sure what else to try? Could it be the SD card reader I got from Sordan? Could it be because the Amiga 600 is a Revision 1 board (Amiga 300)? I've seen a user on Reddit mention their 020 works with a Rev 1 so unlikely? Could it be the 3.1 kicks and workbench combo, maybe I need to look at a 3.1.4 install and see if that fares any better?

The sd card is being properly prepared in hd toolbox:

1) Able to read the card and set new config

2) Able to partition the card (I've tried small partitions, one partition only, two <4GB partitions, same results)

3) pfs3aio set as the filetype, dostype set, and max transfer rate set

4) Partitions format fine in workbench

5) Dopus can read the directories and transfer files to them

I'll come back to it the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Trying booting from a Sysinfo floppy and see if comes up and run a hdd speed test.

If its any use this is my current setup as of last night. I upgraded from the 8GB to a 32GB SD card and it worked fine. The only issues I have now is that this needs a cap kit as the left audio channel is quite low which is a sign the caps need a job done on them(been putting it off for a long time anyway).

SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GYG6T12

SD card adapter: https://sordan.ie/product/481/angle-ide-44-pin-adapter--ide-sd-adapter-for-amiga-600-1200/

A few pics of my SD adapter for the A600 in case yours is different.

I really should have grabbed a GoTek for things like this, I must grab one and try this, cheers for the suggestion.

• Advertisement

Super, appreciate the info and pics there Steve. That's the sd adapter I bought, so I'm going to rule that out for now.

I think I'll go ahead and try the 3.1.4 install, from scratch, and try some different settings, maybe even a different version of winuae. I'll report back at some stage

Ok, we're getting somewhere. I tried a vanilla install of 3.1.4 there on the 600, no frills, basic 250Mb pfs3aio partition for the workbench install....booted first time. I'm happy, I can move forward from here. I'm going to try a ClassicWB install now, as opposed to a vanilla Workbench install and see how that fares.

If you mainly just want a ready to go disk image you could get Zebs latest download. All whdload sorted and organised and can be used in WinUAE or written to an SD/CF card. You will need to provide your own kickstart roms for legal reasons. You can write the image to a 16GB or larger SD/CF, mount that in WinUAE directly and then do whatever customisation you fancy yourself(furiatune etc) before moving over to the A600.

Info from Facebook:

"

WHDLoad Games & Demos

Compiled by Zeb/SLP (03-Jan-2023)

All you need to do is install the Kickstart ROM files into Devs:Kickstarts/ and you're good to go.

I've split this up into separate folders even more: ECS/OCS, AGA, NTSC, CD32, CDTV, Foreign, Demos and Demos/AGA

All are separated into 27 drawers, 0-9 and A-Z for easy access and all the drawers inside those (titled as per game/demo) are also snapshot'd into alphabetical order.

I've installed NewIcons and several pieces of software including: ToolsDaemon, VirusZ, DOpus, DiskSalv, DMS, GoADF, NewZAP, PowerPacker, ReOrg, SnoopDOS, TrackDOS ][, Amiga E, HippoPlayer, OctaMED v4, Protracker v2.3E and plenty more...

There's a Read Me file on the desktop - please take a few mins to read!

This torrent contains a file ending in .img - this can be written to a memory card or used directly within WinUAE. The .hdf can be used inside WinUAE.

Enjoy!

ps. The collection of games & demos is up-to-date as of about 3am on 3rd January 2023.

pps. If you have problems after writing this to a memory card and you get something like DH2:???? then please get in contact with me. Your memory card is slightly smaller than the image and the last partition has the last chunk of data missing!

"

Sounds interesting Steve, though I'm not on Facebook (assuming it's a torrent file shared only there?) I've found an older version of the torrent I think, from 2021

Yes latest release is from January. It's actually an image for the A1200 officially, but works fine on the A600(apart from AGA stuff of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If you are going for the console experience on the Amiga then the MegaAGS collection is brilliant.

Have this up an running in WinUAE for the moment....ugh, not sure I'm a fan (as much as it pains me....I REALLY want to finish this project.) There's a few things I'm not sure I like about it, and I'm at sea on how to remedy them (always the way on pre-made packs.) It throws an error on boot too, but then disappears...likely due to my config (3.1.4). I'll park it for now and come back to it.

@The Last Bandit I'[ll take a look at MegaAGS now, cheers for the nod.

If the above isn't to my liking, I'll likely start with a vanilla 3.1.4 Workbench install and tailor it manually.

Actually going through the HSTWB setup here, slow going, but it may yield exactly what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Second MegaAGS, it's been my goto pack on a MiSTer setup for a long while. Simple and with a nicely categorized menu system.

Ok so HstWB seems to be the job for me.

I was able to create a self installing 3.1.4 image, with WHDLoad support, some test games, and some frontends to choose from. Hits the right balance between the authentic workbench look/feel, along with modern niceties/tools/frontends streamlined in. It ran perfect with the Furia 020 in the Amiga 600 too, which was the big one. I think that boiled down to something with early revision v1 600's, combined with a Furia 020, and Kickstart 3.1. Once I switched to 3.1.4 things got a lot better.

I need to sit down now and just put together the image properly, with all the whdload games etc (this is automated, but takes over two hours to do.) Then I'll be done, finally....finally.

• Advertisement

Finally got the 3D printer up and running again after replacing the warped heat bed and completely rebuilding the extrusion system. First successful print in months!

So naturally I printed out a holster for the Aimtrak so that I can keep it by the Blast City at all times!

In the picture above it's being held in place with command strips but they didn't last long with the weight... so now I have it taped to the side of the unit with two part epoxy curing to try to keep it in place.

Hopefully after 24 hours it'll be strong enough to hold the gun as I really don't want to go drilling holes in the side of this beautiful cab. At least epoxy, whilst being a pain in the bollocks to remove can be removed without damaging the actual unit.

Looks the part anyway!

Nice work. I wonder would it be possible to mount a magnet to the holster, and an opposite magnet then on the inside of the cab? It'd save any physical alterations?

I tried HstWb a while ago when I was trying a 3.1.4 install. I had issues with it not detecting the fonts adf and some kickstart error i cant remember. I must give it another go.

Did you get many errors when running the initial setup after you copies over the files to the amiga os and kickstart folders?

Yep, same error earlier this morning Steve. It turns out the checksums of the Fonts & Install adf's were not a match for what the script was expecting. I was able to grab the appropriate versions, and that sorted that.

3.1.4 then omits certain files from its install on the rom, in order to make space. So when it boots, you can be prompted with an error about a missing library or some such. To remedy, you boot with the install floppy inserted, and I THINK, there's something that grabs the requires files from the floppy...because after doing this, and then ejecting the floppy, the error went away completely and it boots perfectly now.

If you need help finding the right adf's, let me know

Hrmmm. I hadn't thought of that but I'm not sure you'd find a magnet strong enough without it messing with the speakers or the screen.

Will check how the curing is getting on later today when I'm home from the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A couple of neodymium magnets should be strong enough to hold that to the side of your cabinet. There'll be enough of a distance from the monitor though that it won't impact it.

I used a 1 cm neodymium to fix impurity on one of my PVMs - however even with the crazy strength of that magnet, it had to be right beside the monitor to make a difference.

Worth giving a go anyway before breaking out the drills!

And I'm done. Christ almighty what an absolute time sink that was, specifically caused by the Furia. It seems a great card, but on a Rev 1 600, it seriously doesn't like kickstart 3.1. I don't think it was sd card issues all along, it was kickstart related.

I moved to 3.1.4, and was able to move forward. I'll throw up a thread with pics and the steps I followed, in a day or two.

I setup a new base image for my A600 using that HstWB yesterday. It's a very handy way to do it, but I've only done it on WinUAE and not brought it over to the real hardware yet.

HstWB, then grab the WHDLoad stuff you need using WHDLoadTool and you have a nice clean workable OS. My main A600 is running Kickstart 3.1, so hopefully the move to 3.1.4 works better than it did the last time for me :)

For anyone who uses the T48/TL866-3G eprom programmer to write Amiga Kickstarts, Sega roms etc I highly recommend the ADP_D42_EX-A adapter. You don't need to write in multiple passes(bank switching) as with the standard adapters that have been out for years. It makes life a lot easier not having to split roms and write in passes. I was going to upgrade to the T56 later this year, but with this adapter I don't think I need to.

There are a few versions around, I went for this one for around €20: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004842451412.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I picked up an orignial Gameboy with a dodge screen a few weeks ago, I planned to do an IPS RIPS V5 LCD mod so thought that would be grand...but no, someone was in this Gameboy before me, trying to fix the existing screen and made a hames of it. They somehow damaged a trace on the main board leading to the ribbon cable connector and a pin within the connector itself. Fun times! Some repair work later and all is wired up correctly thankfully.

Ordered up the screen (and alignment bracket) and while I was at it, a smoked case - it turned out the screw mounts in the original case had been mangled also :(

Before...

A hour or so later and...bam! So it has the case, new speaker, button membranes, IPS LCD, glass screen lens and replacement power regulator board for the IPS board;

Fancy stand above.

Already had my oldest lad playing it...he has the attendtion span of a goldfish so wandered off shortly after

Flashcart incoming from Mr.Chinalad soon

Advertisement