Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is how teams do it wrong. Buikd through the draft and you never have cap issues.
    Chiefs must be skating very close to the cap limit right now with the deal they gave Clark, which is $105.5m over five years with $63m guaranteed.

Overthecap has them with 22m to spare before Clark signs and presumably they will need 5-6m for their rookies. They’ll have to make some cuts.

They have to choose between Watkins and Hill next year by the looks of it and Mahomes is going to be looking for one of the biggest NFL contracts ever a year after that if he continues to play like 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Watkins was never meant to play the final year of the contract, he can be cut for 7 mil dead and free up 14m. He was a 2 year bridge option that we paid a premium for but that was understood.
    Re the cap situation, that does not include the 9.5 million that is saved as of June 1st for cutting Eric berry so tath covers off some of that. The structure on the clark deal will be interesting, id expect he will be cuttable in yr 4 for peanuts (5mil or so) and you can balance the annual cost by spread the signing bonus to keep it manageable.

conor222 wrote: »
    Watkins was never meant to play the final year of the contract, he can be cut for 7 mil dead and free up 14m. He was a 2 year bridge option that we paid a premium for but that was understood.
    Re the cap situation, that does not include the 9.5 million that is saved as of June 1st for cutting Eric berry so tath covers off some of that. The structure on the clark deal will be interesting, id expect he will be cuttable in yr 4 for peanuts (5mil or so) and you can balance the annual cost by spread the signing bonus to keep it manageable.

Fair enough, not as bad as it seems then. I see reports today linking the Chiefs to P Peterson as well who is very unsettled in Arizona. They could just about afford him in that case and it would really strengthen the secondary but I’ve no idea what they could trade for him now so it’s probably just speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Justin Tucker becomes the highest paid kicker in the league and deservedly so

4 years, 23.05 million, 12 million guaranteed

Worth every cent and more

• Registered Users Posts: 37,624 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mikemac2 wrote:
    4 years, 23.05 million, 12 million guaranteed
    Justin Tucker becomes the highest paid kicker in the league and deservedly so
    Worth every cent and more
    He is a great kicker but I don't think any kicker is worth that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

DA decides not to press charges on Hill. They apparently think there was a crime but don't have enough evidence to bring it to court. Echos of Zeke in that, it'll be interesting if the NFL take the same sort of line.

Not a good look for the Chiefs again, especially after giving up so much and paying Clark yesterday.

Knex. wrote: »

He was very good last season but if the Steelers cut him he wouldn’t get that kind of money from anybody else. I’m stunned by the figure tbh. If he plays out just the guaranteed part of that deal he will have earned over $240m during his career!!!

Leaving that aside if his production drops off (as it may well do given his age) they are going to look mightily foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Has ben been a HOF QB ? Yes is he still a very good QB ? Yes having said that he is 37 years old and despite what Brady is showing at his age he’s more the exception and not the rule. Big Ben’s production will start to fall off at some point(Father Time is undefeated as they say) and unless they’ve front loaded the guaranteed money then they could end up paying guaranteed money for not much return.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Has ben been a HOF QB ? Yes is he still a very good QB ? Yes having said that he is 37 years old and despite what Brady is showing at his age he’s more the exception and not the rule. Big Ben’s production will start to fall off at some point(Father Time is undefeated as they say) and unless they’ve front loaded the guaranteed money then they could end up paying guaranteed money for not much return.

As long as his O Line keeps giving him time to throw he should be fine. The O-Line coach credited with their excellent front is gone to Denver so if holes start appearing and Ben starts getting hit more it might get ugly very fast. No Brown any more to make miracle catches either.

It’s too much money for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,624 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote:
    DA decides not to press charges on Hill. They apparently think there was a crime but don't have enough evidence to bring it to court. Echos of Zeke in that, it'll be interesting if the NFL take the same sort of line.
    Not a good look for the Chiefs again, especially after giving up so much and paying Clark yesterday.
    Unless they are hypocrites the Chiefs have to cut him like they did Kareem Hunt. Of course there is no video just damning comments by the DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats an insane contract given Roethlisberger’s age. They should have let him play out his 1 remaining year on the cheap contact, then done some negotiations this time next year if his form hadn't dropped off.

He'll be a 38 year old QB next March like - I doubt there would have been queues of other teams falling over themselves to offer him multi-year, $30mn a year contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Foxtrol wrote: »

Admittedly I haven't been following to closely but I think that the uncertainty in this case is more who done it rather than was it done?

In contrast the uncertainty with Zeke was whether it occured or not.

Guffy wrote: »
    Admittedly I haven't been following to closely but I think that the uncertainty in this case is more who done it rather than was it done?

In contrast the uncertainty with Zeke was whether it occured or not.

If they believe a crime was committed that involved the abuse of a child and both parties wont blame the other then I think that's plenty for the NFL to issue a ban these days, either doing it or covering it up is detrimental to the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If they believe a crime was committed that involved the abuse of a child and both parties wont blame the other then I think that's plenty for the NFL to issue a ban these days, either doing it or covering it up is detrimental to the league.

Sheriff Goddell loves handing out bans alright.

I think they've said theyre waiting for the outcome of the CPC stuff but yeah, if he was involved kick him out of the league permanently. If he is aware of something (e.g. the wifes involvement and not telling the authorities) long term ban (8+ games, ffs its a child thats involved) and if neither then I would say let him be.
    That being said, regardless of outcome I'd expect a 4 game ban minimum for "tarnishing the reputation of the NFL" or whatever the language that is used around that.
    Main issue will be if they wait for the end of the process, that would likely mean late season/start of postseason, if there's an appeal it could be next season that the game bans would be in place.
    (I'm a chiefs fan as well but if he was involved, he needs to get gone)

Completely agree and hope he gets suspended for doing it or helping cover it up.

I was just pointing out that there was a difference between the two. Even if they are treated the same suspension wise as opposed to what AP got for using the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Guffy wrote: »

End of Hill if true imo.

You'd think so, but then you remember names like Hardy and Peterson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I think this pic covers the weird the wacky and the awsome:D

D5CGDsjX4AUJxjw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The kid is fine

He was on Twitch last night playing video games, nowt wrong with his arms. This ones on the mum I think

This aged well.

Even with the benefit of knowing Hill is the type of character to beat a pregnant woman, fan allegiances still had people giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, hes gone and good riddance. Id say they're only putting him on suspension until the draft part is finished, then they can deal with getting him removed from the team. Its a pity because it looked so much like he had turned his life around (charity work etc) but he hadn't. I'll still support giving players a second chance but he had his and pissed it away.
    Scum and shouldn't be in the league any more.
    Also, the mother according to the tapes was covering it up for him and lying to cops etc? Also references to her beating the kid too?????
    I wouldn't want the kid back with her either! Hopefully theres some extended family etc that can look after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Trouble here for the Chiefs is the precedent they set with Hunt. Hill just has to go. There's no way he can play again for them. I'd love to see the scumbag kicked from the league indefinitely but I'm not hopeful. I just hope the fan backlash is strong enough for him never to step on the field again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

This aged well.

Even with the benefit of knowing Hill is the type of character to beat a pregnant woman, fan allegiances still had people giving him the benefit of the doubt.
    Doubt there's any remorse about that comment.
    Suits me fine :D Might be a scumbag but he's OUR scumbag

Trouble here for the Chiefs is the precedent they set with Hunt. Hill just has to go. There's no way he can play again for them. I'd love to see the scumbag kicked from the league indefinitely but I'm not hopeful. I just hope the fan backlash is strong enough for him never to step on the field again.

If he isn't kicked out for life Dorsey will pick him up for the Browns. The guy has no conscience with this stuff and bringing in Hill would have me actively rooting against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

If he isn't kicked out for life Dorsey will pick him up for the Browns. The guy has no conscience with this stuff and bringing in Hill would have me actively rooting against them.
    It seems to be an issue with a lot of teams unfortunately.

Christy42 wrote: »
    It seems to be an issue with a lot of teams unfortunately.

Pretty much all GMs/teams will take the odd player with questionable history when there is value, but there are certain ones who don't appear to care at all and would fill their team full of the biggest scumbags out there if it would help them win.

No team has clean hands, but some teams hands are absolutely filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Josh Rosen being traded to the Dolphins for the 48th pick. Best value the Cards could get in the circumstances, and a great deal for the Dolphins imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats a great deal for the Dolphins. He mightn't be 10th pick quality, but hes definitely not as low as a 48th pick.

Advertisement