Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharon Ni Bheolain on RTE 1 News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭ATC110

It looks like she has just one outfit (shapeless trouser suit) in various colours or dyed overnight for the next evening's news

she was told Donald Trump gave himself a 10 for his handling of the virus situation- she burst out laughing and could barely hold it in for a minute or two afterwards.

The RTE Radio 1 News At One anchor is similar - laughing too loudly and inappropriately and generally unprofessional.

Who gives these people those jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

ATC110 wrote: »
    Haha funny. She's wooden with an affectation complex. Oliver Callan correctly satirises her as a robot

Correct, Oliver knocks the sh1te out of them all, Dobbo, Miriam, Sharon, Tubridy, the guards, Veradkar..... all brilliant. He is a master mimic, better than all of them.

His micktake on the 4 points on the Corvid ads on the Friday show was brilliant.

Maybe the gov will start using people with proper voices in the ads, instead of the voices of doom....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

She auditioned for Abbaesque but they wouldnt take a chance.

But if they change their mind she's the first in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

That applies to most RTE presenters especially Mr MOC

Not really. Yes, Caitriona Perry is good looking but not as much as Sharon, and at least she is a competent and skilled presenter, just like Kate Egan and Olivia O Donnell. Sharon has cruised by on her looks for years, flicking her hair every 10 seconds as if she is some 25 year old model whom the world loves. When I see her presenting, I know the politicians are going to get away scot free. Dobbo and Ray can ask some really difficult questions and demand answers for the viewing public, as well as Eileen Dunne who is a very good presenter too.

But Sharon just breezes along on her model good looks, that's all she has to bring to the job. Who is MOC?

BarryM wrote: »
    Correct, Oliver knocks the sh1te out of them all, Dobbo, Miriam, Sharon, Tubridy, the guards, Veradkar..... all brilliant. He is a master mimic, better than all of them.

His micktake on the 4 points on the Corvid ads on the Friday show was brilliant.

Maybe the gov will start using people with proper voices in the ads, instead of the voices of doom....

Yes but he also captures the zeitgeist and I use the programme to keep up to speed on current affairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do like when she gets out the leather jacket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

kravmaga wrote: »
    Her dress sense is terrible, always has been, someone should call the fashion Police on her.

Do RTE gave the news broadcasters a budget to buy clothes or does she buy clothes in charity shops in D4. ?:D

They should take in Merriam O'Callaghan while their at it.

🙈🙉🙊

Ray

Surely you don't mean Ray Darcy? His true talent lies in spinning discs on hospital radio
    Who is MOC?

Miriam, genuinely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We should never forget the easy ride Dobson gave to Bertie on the infamous dig out interview.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Not really. Yes, Caitriona Perry is good looking but not as much as Sharon, and at least she is a competent and skilled presenter, just like Kate Egan and Olivia O Donnell. Sharon has cruised by on her looks for years, flicking her hair every 10 seconds as if she is some 25 year old model whom the world loves. When I see her presenting, I know the politicians are going to get away scot free. Dobbo and Ray can ask some really difficult questions and demand answers for the viewing public, as well as Eileen Dunne who is a very good presenter too.

But Sharon just breezes along on her model good looks, that's all she has to bring to the job. Who is MOC?

The sister of AOC!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

You’re all clinging on to past glories there’s a new Sharon in the hotseat

- who looks like she might ‘dominate’ for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Bobblehats wrote: »
    You’re all clinging on to past glories there’s a new Sharon in the hotseat

- who looks like she might ‘dominate’ for the foreseeable future.

If you mean Sharon Tobin shes top class

Didn't Sharon have a few run ins with her boss as well in the last year, she wanted more of an influence in the show and he wouldn't give it to her. She refused to present the news one evening because of it. Any other job you would be fired for gross misconduct. If she doesn't like it she can always get another job..

Which of course she wont do as she has a dead handy number in RTE, mega salary and tonnes of holidays for just turning up a few days a week and reading from an autocue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Didn't Sharon have a few run ins with her boss as well in the last year, she wanted more of an influence in the show and he wouldn't give it to her. She refused to present the news one evening because of it. Any other job you would be fired for gross misconduct. If she doesn't like it she can always get another job..

Which of course she wont do as she has a dead handy number in RTE, mega salary and tonnes of holidays for just turning up a few days a week and reading from an autocue.

No bitterness there at all :D

• Advertisement

No bitterness there at all :D

Ha ha, it may have come across like that but my point is she can have as many run ins as she like, she wont leave the job, its too handy for her. She doesn't really have any experience of a proper tough 9 - 5 job, shes there so long now. I can kind of understand why she didn't really get the mainstay theme to the 9 o clock news, there are far better presenters than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Ha ha, it may have come across like that but my point is she can have as many run ins as she like, she wont leave the job, its too handy for her. She doesn't really have any experience of a proper tough 9 - 5 job, shes there so long now. I can kind of understand why she didn't really get the mainstay theme to the 9 o clock news, there are far better presenters than her.

Sharon is there for her looks. As you say, she isn't a great presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This thread reminds me of a show a few years ago on foxtel (Aussies version of sky) called the naked news. They would gradually take their clothes off while reading the news. It might livin things up with all the depressing news around at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Her clothes do be awful like she's in some form of protest. Always the highlight of the news.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Does anyone know if Sharon is a member of an Abba tribute band?
    :D

If we're referring to the same thing, I saw that all white ensemble a few days ago, she was as wide at her feet as at her shoulders. Just needed a carrot for her nose. Looked ludicrous.

(Oh yeah - Mamma Mia!)
    kravmaga wrote: »
    Her dress sense is terrible, always has been, someone should call the fashion Police on her.

Do RTE gave the news broadcasters a budget to buy clothes or does she buy clothes in charity shops in D4. ?:D
    There should be a certain standard or dress code required. She's presenting the news not some arts programme.
    She looks ridiculous at times.
    Does she have an OnlyFans account?
    Shes sounds like a shouty robot sometimes when shes talking to the other correspondents on the big screen.
    Shes still beautiful though!
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    she is objectively good looking but ive never found her attractive

shes no ann doyle
    She only got that position because of her looks.

She could hide when Dobbo was next to her but now she is on her own, her lack of presenting and questioning skills are painfully obvious. She stammers over her words, repeats herself a lot and asks really pedestrian, by the numbers questions when anyone of note like a politician or civil servant is on the programme. Add to this she often looks at the wrong camera and laughs very inappropriately too at times, recent example when she was told Donald Trump gave himself a 10 for his handling of the virus situation- she burst out laughing and could barely hold it in for a minute or two afterwards.

Nothing but eye candy but enough people in Ireland obviously don't mind that. But if you want a talented and capable presenter/interviewer. Dobbo was your man.
    It looks like she has just one outfit (shapeless trouser suit) in various colours or dyed overnight for the next evening's news

I do like when she gets out the leather jacket!

Sharon is there for her looks. As you say, she isn't a great presenter.

While at the same time, on other threads on boards, posters are saying women are making it up that they feel they are judged on their physical appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Just checked her Wiki, can't believe shes 49yrs old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Harsh.
    Imagine having to come up with a new outfit to wear almost every day, knowing that so many people will judge you on that outfit. Too risqué, too conservative, too boring, too black, too high, too low, too long, too white, inappropriate.

It must be ****ing exhausting. I reckon the only way to manage this is to not give a flying fcuk what you or anyone alse thinks.

The men, on the other hand can just change their tie or the shade of their shirt to evoke perceived change. It's much easier but I guess some men would enjoy more freedom from the uniform that 90% of men on TV wear.

I always find it a bit odd that in conservative society, men are expected to dress more or less exactly the same as every other man of his standing but each woman is expected to dress uniquely.

Jesus dude, chillax, you a bit OTT......its just a bit of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Edgware wrote: »
    Do we need old Doyler with her finger on the button?

What button?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nevermind Sharon Ni Bheolain...did anyone see Jean Byrne's sexy black outfit last night ooo Mama!,

does she not know there's swades of sexually frustrated men watching, bit cruel i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

fryup wrote: »
    nevermind Sharon Ni Bheolain...did anyone see Jean Byrne's sexy black outfit last night ooo Mama!,

does she not know there's swades of sexually frustrated men watching, bit cruel i think

Have a look at the beautiful Rachel Riley on Countdown in latter stages of pregnancy. Ooooh Matron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm no fashion expert but I think Sharon's outfits are grand. She obviously has taste and a bit of cop on in recognizing her age. Gone are the skin tight leather pants and black jackets, in are the more loose fitting ensembles more befitting the mature lady. Though to be fair even at nearly 50, she's still a knockout and would easily manage the rock chick look.

Contrast to Catriona Perry who looked like she was making her first holy communion the other day.

On the other hand Catriona Perry is a fire cracker!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

On the other hand Catriona Perry is a fire cracker!

Nah, no chin.
    She looks like a wet fish.

At the end of the day, they read the bleedin’ news! None of them are the news!

Well, not since Anna Ford.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

She should drop this Ní Bheoláin carry on and go back to Shaz Boland

• Advertisement

She should drop this Ní Bheoláin carry on and go back to Shaz Boland

:eek:

Surely not! You’re kidding me. Shaz Boland? No, I don’t believe you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

:eek:

Surely not! You’re kidding me. Shaz Boland? No, I don’t believe you

Yep

Hoopey earrings Liverpool tracksuit can of Stonehouse cider in hand

That's the Shaz I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Does anyone know if Sharon is a member of an Abba tribute band?

Her dress sense leaves a lot to be desired, as does her amateurish news presenting skills.

She seems to love the 1970s bell-bottom type trousers, possibly to distract from her rather hefty (once svelte) set of chunky pins. Her crazy hair, panda eyes, ott affectation and rather stilted speech all add up to rather fascinating "performance" rather than a serious news delivery!

Either she shops in charity shops with a penchant for the 1970s, or she knows somebody in the wardrobe department of an ABBA tribute band :)

Agnetha she is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’d say she’s a bit of a bibe but Jesus id eat the box off her

Nah, no chin.

I'd still have her ahead of Sharon

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

fryup wrote: »

irelands sexiest woman

shes everything that makes irish women terrific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    irelands sexiest woman

shes everything that makes irish women terrific

I'd have her in the back on the fryers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭furiousox

She's an angle xx! :D

sharonNiBheolain2017_large.jpg

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Nah, no chin.

And she would wreck your head. She was still on about her encounter with Trump, years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

furiousox wrote: »
    She's an angle xx! :D

sharonNiBheolain2017_large.jpg
    Don't be so obtuse! She is a cute one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

While at the same time, on other threads on boards, posters are saying women are making it up that they feel they are judged on their physical appearance.

and what I actually said
    If we're referring to the same thing, I saw that all white ensemble a few days ago, she was as wide at her feet as at her shoulders. Just needed a carrot for her nose. Looked ludicrous.

It's her dress sense we are passing catty judgement on (and if I were a woman my appraisal would be much harsher!) not her physical appearance which is perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

No comparison in looks between Shaz and Catriona, Shaz by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I'd still have her ahead of Sharon
    You're obviously blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In fairness that above pic of her , isn't that recent! There is some brunette presenter on tg4 " ah very nice " as Borat would say ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

storker wrote: »
    I'd say it's more to keep viewers focused on what she's saying rather then on how her legs are looking. They used to say that guys with beards shouldn't do presentations, because people look at the beard and get distracted. That's obviously gone out the window these days, though. :rolleyes:

No one told Michael Murphy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

She could wear a sack as far as I'm concerned and still look..............so totally edible.

She did tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm no fashion expert but I think Sharon's outfits are grand. She obviously has taste and a bit of cop on in recognizing her age. Gone are the skin tight leather pants and black jackets, in are the more loose fitting ensembles more befitting the mature lady. Though to be fair even at nearly 50, she's still a knockout and would easily manage the rock chick look.

Contrast to Catriona Perry who looked like she was making her first holy communion the other day.
    Now I don't see anything wrong with her wearing leather pants. They are in style and can be a sophisticated change from the suit combo

She had a nice fitted leather jacket on tonight.
    Sadly she also had massive troosers on like David Byrne in stop making sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement