Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharon Ni Bheolain on RTE 1 News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think it’s sort of good that she doesn’t wear the same old black dress/suit all the time!

I think it’s sort of good that she doesn’t wear the same old black dress/suit all the time!

I agree, I've noticed that they're wearing black a lot recently and its awful on them imo.Sharon is very good looking and I like that style but it does seem to swamp her,l love the pastel colours anyway rather head to toe in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

She only got that position because of her looks.

She could hide when Dobbo was next to her but now she is on her own, her lack of presenting and questioning skills are painfully obvious. She stammers over her words, repeats herself a lot and asks really pedestrian, by the numbers questions when anyone of note like a politician or civil servant is on the programme. Add to this she often looks at the wrong camera and laughs very inappropriately too at times, recent example when she was told Donald Trump gave himself a 10 for his handling of the virus situation- she burst out laughing and could barely hold it in for a minute or two afterwards.

Nothing but eye candy but enough people in Ireland obviously don't mind that. But if you want a talented and capable presenter/interviewer. Dobbo was your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Reading this thread is like being at a ladies' tea party.

1950s-tea-hats-350x443.jpg

Harsh.
    Imagine having to come up with a new outfit to wear almost every day, knowing that so many people will judge you on that outfit. Too risqué, too conservative, too boring, too black, too high, too low, too long, too white, inappropriate.

It must be ****ing exhausting. I reckon the only way to manage this is to not give a flying fcuk what you or anyone alse thinks.

The men, on the other hand can just change their tie or the shade of their shirt to evoke perceived change. It's much easier but I guess some men would enjoy more freedom from the uniform that 90% of men on TV wear.

I always find it a bit odd that in conservative society, men are expected to dress more or less exactly the same as every other man of his standing but each woman is expected to dress uniquely.

nonsense

if you think its men that give two dry ****es if sharon had three work suits that she kept drycleaned you're absolutely deluding yourself

for what its worth shes a fine bit a gear, good at her job and can wear what she likes for all i care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

kravmaga wrote: »
    Her dress sense is terrible, always has been, someone should call the fashion Police on her.

Do RTE gave the news broadcasters a budget to buy clothes or does she buy clothes in charity shops in D4. ?:D

My mum's become quite obsessed by the female news presenter's fashion since they stepped out from behind their desks a year or two ago. She maintains that Sharon Ní Bheoláin must not have a good pair of legs as she always keeps them well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Gynoid wrote: »
    Yep. I like it too. I think modern interpretations of the pajama kurta theme often look good. It is a graceful useful type of clothing. Comfortable, flowing, classic, graceful. Overall pretty damn groovy. And Sharon is gorgeous looking.

Speaking of pyjamas didn't she go out like this once got papped and then had to take legal action over published pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Edgware wrote: »
    Do we need old Doyler with her finger on the button?

Don't you be dissing Anne Doyle ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Edgware wrote: »
    Do we need old Doyler with her finger on the button?

Is that a euphemism?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The South American female news presenters dress well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Seamai wrote: »
    My mum's become quite obsessed by the female news presenter's fashion since they stepped out from behind their desks a year or two ago. She maintains that Sharon Ní Bheoláin must not have a good pair of legs as she always keeps them well covered.

I'd say it's more to keep viewers focused on what she's saying rather then on how her legs are looking. They used to say that guys with beards shouldn't do presentations, because people look at the beard and get distracted. That's obviously gone out the window these days, though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Harsh.
    Imagine having to come up with a new outfit to wear almost every day, knowing that so many people will judge you on that outfit. Too risqué, too conservative, too boring, too black, too high, too low, too long, too white, inappropriate.

It must be ****ing exhausting. I reckon the only way to manage this is to not give a flying fcuk what you or anyone alse thinks.

The men, on the other hand can just change their tie or the shade of their shirt to evoke perceived change. It's much easier but I guess some men would enjoy more freedom from the uniform that 90% of men on TV wear.

I always find it a bit odd that in conservative society, men are expected to dress more or less exactly the same as every other man of his standing but each woman is expected to dress uniquely.

What?

Harsh.

You do realise it's a lot of made up nonsense. If she just wore the same outfit every time, no one would pass any remarks.

Fancies herself as a bit of a model, is my guess. Which is fine, but don't act like the women have no choice but to dress differently. Definitely a case of them wanting to.

YFlyer wrote: »
    The South American female news presenters dress well.

Pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

What ever happened to the me 2 stuff?

I'd suggest that a significant quantity of the comments are from women.

If that is the case will they stop carping when there is any criticism of women on any subject under the sun.

If men can make a contribution by changing their shirt, women should do the same.

nonsense

if you think its men that give two dry ****es if sharon had three work suits that she kept drycleaned you're absolutely deluding yourself

for what its worth shes a fine bit a gear, good at her job and can wear what she likes for all i care

Haha funny. She's wooden with an affectation complex. Oliver Callan correctly satirises her as a robot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

nonsense

Where did I say I thought that?

Gynoid wrote: »
    Yep. I like it too. I think modern interpretations of the pajama kurta theme often look good. It is a graceful useful type of clothing. Comfortable, flowing, classic, graceful. Overall pretty damn groovy. And Sharon is gorgeous looking.

Yes a highly versatile choice - can also be worn in bed and to the mosque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

GMSA wrote: »
    Speaking of pyjamas didn't she go out like this once got papped and then had to take legal action over published pics.

Haha, looks like what I wear at home :D ...the state of the dog, though. I don't know why people like those weird sinewy lurchers.
    Pass the milk, Biko.

She could hide when Dobbo was next to her but now she is on her own, her lack of presenting and questioning skills are painfully obvious. She stammers over her words, repeats herself a lot and asks really pedestrian, by the numbers questions when anyone of note like a politician or civil servant is on the programme. Add to this she often looks at the wrong camera and laughs very inappropriately too at times, recent example when she was told Donald Trump gave himself a 10 for his handling of the virus situation- she burst out laughing and could barely hold it in for a minute or two afterwards.

That applies to most RTE presenters especially Mr MOC

• Advertisement

It looks like she has just one outfit (shapeless trouser suit) in various colours or dyed overnight for the next evening's news

she was told Donald Trump gave himself a 10 for his handling of the virus situation- she burst out laughing and could barely hold it in for a minute or two afterwards.

The RTE Radio 1 News At One anchor is similar - laughing too loudly and inappropriately and generally unprofessional.

Who gives these people those jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

ATC110 wrote: »
    Haha funny. She's wooden with an affectation complex. Oliver Callan correctly satirises her as a robot

Correct, Oliver knocks the sh1te out of them all, Dobbo, Miriam, Sharon, Tubridy, the guards, Veradkar..... all brilliant. He is a master mimic, better than all of them.

His micktake on the 4 points on the Corvid ads on the Friday show was brilliant.

Maybe the gov will start using people with proper voices in the ads, instead of the voices of doom....

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

She auditioned for Abbaesque but they wouldnt take a chance.

But if they change their mind she's the first in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

ATC110 wrote: »
    That applies to most RTE presenters especially Mr MOC

Not really. Yes, Caitriona Perry is good looking but not as much as Sharon, and at least she is a competent and skilled presenter, just like Kate Egan and Olivia O Donnell. Sharon has cruised by on her looks for years, flicking her hair every 10 seconds as if she is some 25 year old model whom the world loves. When I see her presenting, I know the politicians are going to get away scot free. Dobbo and Ray can ask some really difficult questions and demand answers for the viewing public, as well as Eileen Dunne who is a very good presenter too.

But Sharon just breezes along on her model good looks, that's all she has to bring to the job. Who is MOC?

BarryM wrote: »
    Correct, Oliver knocks the sh1te out of them all, Dobbo, Miriam, Sharon, Tubridy, the guards, Veradkar..... all brilliant. He is a master mimic, better than all of them.

His micktake on the 4 points on the Corvid ads on the Friday show was brilliant.

Maybe the gov will start using people with proper voices in the ads, instead of the voices of doom....

Yes but he also captures the zeitgeist and I use the programme to keep up to speed on current affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do like when she gets out the leather jacket!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

kravmaga wrote: »
    Her dress sense is terrible, always has been, someone should call the fashion Police on her.

Do RTE gave the news broadcasters a budget to buy clothes or does she buy clothes in charity shops in D4. ?:D

They should take in Merriam O'Callaghan while their at it.

🙈🙉🙊

Ray

Surely you don't mean Ray Darcy? His true talent lies in spinning discs on hospital radio
    Who is MOC?

Miriam, genuinely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We should never forget the easy ride Dobson gave to Bertie on the infamous dig out interview.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement