Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

2010.50 i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eirlink wrote: »
    2010.50 i believe

Thought it was 2010.30c myself!

you could be right, just vague notion i seen or read about .50 somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Need a bit of help installing the update.

I ran the update first with no SD card. Got told that there was not enough space, please select which map to update, UK/Ireland, Northwestern EU etc.

So, I put in an 8GB SDHC card. I made sure to get a card that another boardsie with the same nuvi 760 used and verified as working.

But the update is still saying I don't have enough space and to choose an individual map to update, rather than them all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I know it may be obvious, but is there enough free space on the card?
    Are you selecting the card as the location to save to?

• Advertisement

koolkid wrote: »
    I know it may be obvious, but is there enough free space on the card?
    Are you selecting the card as the location to save to?

Yeah, the card is empty. The update process doesn't offer a location, as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

shayser wrote: »
    Yeah, the card is empty. The update process doesn't offer a location, as far as I can see.
    Try Select UK & IRL & see if it saves to the card or the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

IIRC the upgrade itself doesn't offer the option to install all or part of the update to the SD card, only to install a subset, i.e. whatever will fit. Assuming you've installed the maps to your PC already, you can use MapInstall to install the parts you need to the SD card. When you fire it up it'll search for devices and find your nuvi, but if you click on the button that shows the name of the device it'll pop up and show other drives, including the drive assigned to the SD card. Select this as the destination. Select what areas you want to install to the SD card and away you go. Personally I've just put UK and Ireland on the nuvi itself, and everything else on the SD card.

I continued and selected Uk & Ireland. Then Advanced > Select Location. Selected G: drive which was the letter assinged to the card by Windows. I had to manually create a Garmin folder and a Maps subfolder on the card. It's installing UK & Ireland now, 9% complete after about 10 mins. Hopefully, I can go back and do the other regions when this is finished. Will see how I get on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

shayser wrote: »
    I continued and selected Uk & Ireland. Then Advanced > Select Location. Selected G: drive which was the letter assinged to the card by Windows. I had to manually create a Garmin folder and a Maps subfolder on the card. It's installing UK & Ireland now, 9% complete after about 10 mins. Hopefully, I can go back and do the other regions when this is finished. Will see how I get on. Thanks.

If your pc has a card reader it transfers the maps very quickly that way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could someone tell me whats the latest version number for the garmin maps?
    City Navigator Europe NT 2010.30

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eirlink wrote: »
    fyi
    2010. 50 is the the latest....according to steff in garmin.....yesterday
    its a .dot release

City Navigator Europe NT 2010.30 only came out at the end of January, so highly unlikely. MyGarmin.com also still says 2010.30 is the latest for my nuvi 760.

'Steff' is probably confusing it with City Navigator North America which is currently at 2010.50.

tks alun...thats must be it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

i got a garmin sat last oct only registrated it in jan and offed out there was an update but the internet was too slow. Brother said he would do it when collage. but when he remembered it the time had lapest. we didn't even know that there was time too down load it.

is there any way too get it without paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Alun wrote: »
    City Navigator Europe NT 2010.30 only came out at the end of January, so highly unlikely. MyGarmin.com also still says 2010.30 is the latest for my nuvi 760.

'Steff' is probably confusing it with City Navigator North America which is currently at 2010.50.

city navigator North America is only at 2010.40
    and europe 2010.30

2010.50 has not been released yet for North america

just checked my account no updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mr Titleist

Honda08 wrote: »
    the new map is available to download now , city navigator europe 2010.30
    downloaded it at the weekend, it was about 3.5 gb if i remember..

I downloaded this update last night and when it finished after 2 hours the file woulndt open for me....Any ideas?

It needs to be extracted. Did you follow the instructions on your MyGarmin page?

I think so...? ......It told me to download to Pc then when finished find file and double click it to open......but I got the message " windows needs to know what created this file" or something to that effect...

????

You probably got a Windows Security warning.
    It's a self-extracting executable which is 3,720,376KB in size.
    When asked if you still want to run the file answer Yes as you know it's from a trusted source.

I may have another look later when I get home.

• Advertisement

Actually just looking through the download instructions now etc and noticed that after the download was complete I never got the extraction screen etc after I clicked "Launch"

I can't remember the exact sequence as I updated in January, but the 3+GB file you downloaded should self-extract when you double-click on it.
    Alternatively, if you single-right-click on it, it may give you further options.
    HTH

Well I tried it again when I got home on Windows XP and yep it worked grand......Updated to CN Europe NT 2010.30

Am not sure what updates were really as I didnt notice much difference....Suppose its possible that updates were not even for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jc77

I bought the nuvi 200W over a year ago, and decided to register today. The maps already installed are UK & Ireland. I am currently downloading "nüMaps Onetime™ City Navigator® Europe NT 2010.3" from the garmin site. It's a 3.54GB file.

Will I now be able to load all european maps to my device?

It depends on the memory of your device. You may need a memory card.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jc77

koolkid wrote: »
    It depends on the memory of your device. You may need a memory card.

on-device memory of ~500MB.

With the download (3.5GB), is it install all or nothing?
    I dont really want to buy a memory card (at the moment) & would be happy with UK & Irl maps updated.

I would like to buy a sizeable sd card (eventually) if I'll be able to install all european maps on my device.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kilkennykitten

Whats the latest verison of the UK & Ireland maps? I got mine back in the summer and was wondering has there been any updates since. Was hoping they might have the new motorway bypassing Carlow on it.

There have been a number of posts recently from users having difficulty in selecting parts of the map. It should be possible though.

jc77 wrote: »

Will I now be able to load all european maps to my device?
    Not without paying extra. As the unit was purchased with only UK & Ireland you are confined to UK&Irl on the one-time update.
    HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

jc77 wrote: »
    on-device memory of ~500MB.

With the download (3.5GB), is it install all or nothing?
    I dont really want to buy a memory card (at the moment) & would be happy with UK & Irl maps updated.

I would like to buy a sizeable sd card (eventually) if I'll be able to install all european maps on my device.

You have bought maps for all of Europe and you are entitled to use any of them.

The 200W does not have enough memory to hold them all at the same time. However, they should all be loaded onto the computer where the file is extracted, along with Garmin Mapsource software which you can use to manage the maps.

During the install you can choose to install just the UK and Ireland maps. You can connect to Mapsource again at any time to add additional maps as and when you need them.

If you are a long distance lorry driver, or James Bond, and likely to end up in any far flung corner of Europe at a moment's notice, you can install additional maps on SD cards.

Advertisement