Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Digital/paper! Certs, the Megathread - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Seems certs/passports won't be needed for a haircut!

They were never going to be anyway I don't think.

The only outlet that reported it was the examiner and even at that it was such a vague article.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They were never going to be anyway I don't think.

The only outlet that reported it was the examiner and even at that it was such a vague article.
    Most of the speculation about it is impractical to apply, apart from travel and venues that would attract large crowds. Even there it's unclear how widely they might be used.

As Vaccines - based on whats happening in the UK at least exponentially reduce transmission then restriction on distancing would not required.

That way a restaurant could fill to standard capacity - which would make them viable.

Apparently it was lockdowns and not vaccines that were the main reason for the UK drop in transmission...

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-lockdown-is-main-reason-for-drop-in-coronavirus-cases-and-deaths-not-vaccinations-says-boris-johnson-12274266?fbclid=IwAR1aFa3ca7v16vM5JKNuFHkLV79mlJCbgxHuzdf7QDuIDWN9xIVaaibPkmg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

It was never going to happen, it didn't stop people losing their reason on social media though.

ah sure MHQ is falling apart and the courts cannot keep up for letting people out. Solicitors and the court of human rights etc are getting stuck in...the passports will do the same..you cannot write legislation quick enough to keep up with rushed legislation...it's a joke designed by jokers for a circus and we are all spectators at this stage.

The GOVT are looking more inept by the day now with athlete exemptions and adoptive parents being allowed in and out..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MZUeeg2Ug&ab_channel=KannanLawFirm-Documentalista comes to mind..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

rusty cole wrote: »
    ah sure MHQ is falling apart and the courts cannot keep up for letting people out. Solicitors and the court of human rights etc are getting stuck in...the passports will do the same..you cannot write legislation quick enough to keep up with rushed legislation...it's a joke designed by jokers for a circus and we are all spectators at this stage.

The GOVT are looking more inept by the day now with athlete exemptions and adoptive parents being allowed in and out..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MZUeeg2Ug&ab_channel=KannanLawFirm-Documentalista comes to mind..

How many cases have been through the courts to completion and resulted in release.

Hadn't heard that anyone had actually won a court case against it yet. When did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

brenbrady wrote: »

Yes that could be possible, only half the population is vaccinated and lockdowns were implemented before the vaccine roll out gathered pace.

However the fact is the vaccines work and there is no doubt in that or running away from that fact, once the masses are inoculated the cases should stay very low and stable and life for the vaccinated will go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

It was never going to happen, it didn't stop people losing their reason on social media though.

leo did suggest additional freedoms for vaccinated people

admittedly he suggests much vague guff but he is the Tánaiste and Taoiseach in waiting - lets not pretend it was some social media rumour

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yes that could be possible, only half the population is vaccinated and lockdowns were implemented before the vaccine roll out gathered pace.

However the fact is the vaccines work and there is no doubt in that or running away from that fact, once the masses are inoculated the cases should stay very low and stable and life for the vaccinated will go on.

I thought that vaccines only help prevent the person vaccinated from becoming seriously ill but that you can still be infected and transmit the virus, so how does a vaccine prevent transmission?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

The place I go to confirmed they won't discriminate based on vaccine status, same with a physio I contacted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I thought that vaccines only help prevent the person vaccinated from becoming seriously ill but that you can still be infected and transmit the virus, so how does a vaccine prevent transmission?

vaccinated or not, if you get infected, you get infected.

Vaccination is never a complete block on infection...

What it does do is prime your body to make antibodies faster to attack and kill the virus when it enters your body ....

a certain virus load therefore needs to be present before it triggers an immune response..

this is different for everyone

So some people will start to get sick before their body fights back
    Others won't get noticeably sick at all while their body fights off the infection..

how it reduces infection is it reduces the time the virus has to grow an multiply in a host, to a point where large viral loads are discharged in it's usual transmission vectors (sneezing, coughing etc...)...

meaning compared to an unvaccinated person, you won't be infectious as long as they would be (if even), reducing transmission vectors and virus survivability..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

The fact that it was 'floated' at all means it was/is a possibility.

There have plenty of businesses and individuals pushing for it.

The average non-committal boards poster only notices people pushing back ('losing their reason') and says "These people [pushing back] are paranoid".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

paw patrol wrote: »
    leo did suggest additional freedoms for vaccinated people

admittedly he suggests much vague guff but he is the Tánaiste and Taoiseach in waiting - lets not pretend it was some social media rumour

Leo says a lot more than his prayers, lets be honest. For many reasons, vaccinaton passports for the likes of going for a pint or haircut was never going to work. For travel and large sporting/music events it remains a possibility, particularly travel. And even then it's likely to be proof of vaccination, negative test or previous infection. Personally I'd be ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is no doubt that vaccines reduce people's transmission of the virus, although they may not eliminate it completely.

There is no doubt that vaccines reduce people's transmission of the virus, although they may not eliminate it completely.
    That was always their primary aim, the elimination is a bonus. As I am fond of saying - 5000 cases a day and nobody in hospital is a cold!

I don't think that has been fully established. https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/give-me-a-crash-course-in-proof-of-covid-19-vaccination-1.4538261
    Health experts say there is no definitive scientific data yet to show that vaccination prevents transmission, so that risk remains.

it reduces it through people fighting off infection faster, reducing probability of transmission, and reducing viral load if contagious ...

which has a domino effect if passed to someone vaccinated, they fight off faster, reduce transmission probability and reduce viral load if transmitted...

repeat until nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I work for a multinational medical device company and we got a talk recently from the in-house physicians who said the latest data (can't recall source) showed that the vaccines are very effective at preventing transmission.

They're probably not telling us so as to prevent the OAPs from having raves.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I work for a multinational medical device company and we got a talk recently from the in-house physicians who said the latest data (can't recall source) showed that the vaccines are very effective at preventing transmission.

I know what you mean, a bit like this time last year when the public was told that facemasks were ineffective to prevent supply shortages.

But they do prevent serious illness and hospitalisations, their primary aim.

• Advertisement

But they do prevent serious illness and hospitalisations, their primary aim.

I was asking about transmission in the context of a vaccine passport.

I was asking about transmission in the context of a vaccine passport.
    It's just one of the many flaws with such passport, it can only state you've been vaccinated. For managing travel that may be enough in the short term.

It's just one of the many flaws with such passport, it can only state you've been vaccinated. For managing travel that may be enough in the short term.

But why does somebody need a vaccine passport to travel if it hasn't been determined that a vaccine will reduce transmission? What does a vaccine passport achieve in that context?

But why does somebody need a vaccine passport to travel if it hasn't been determined that a vaccine will reduce transmission? What does a vaccine passport achieve in that context?

It has been proven it reduces transmission...lots of data coming from the UK,US, and Israel the last few weeks showing this...

What hasn't been proven is that it stops transmission.... which is a pretty big ask from a vaccine, because you need to be infected to trigger an immune response, which is different in everyone...

meaning some people will get to a point of being contagious even with the vaccine...

But this number is far lower compared to people who haven't had the vaccine, hence reducing the virus

A statement that they have been vaccinated and a way for Mediterranean countries, in particular, to welcome visitors this summer.

A reflection on the complexities of vaccine passports.
    At first glance, this might seems an excellent proposal, a source of reassurance and an important piece of public health protection.
    On the other hand, this argument is certainly weakened when you see the significant levels of flight travel happening in the US, even during its last pandemic surge.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/vaccine-passports-far-more-complicated-than-they-might-appear-1.4543793

bfa1509 wrote: »

ah sure we can trust the medical device industry to give sound advise. Those vaccines were tested on healthy people who were maybe not on medication, or indeed overweight etc. What we see now is real world data, vaccines on people with underlying conditions, with diabetes, hypertension, huge BMI's and people that are on all manner of other medications that have to be and will be deemed safe for inoculation. Also the time between doses once shifted, will run contrary to original trials, whatever the new data is saying. I wouldn't be a bill gates put a chip in my arm brigade man, but I will wait for a good while to see more real world efficacy and adverse reactions, considering these are early days and we have clots albeit rare cases. how long did it take for the narcolepsy to develop post Pandermix?

rusty cole wrote: »
    . how long did it take for the narcolepsy to develop post Pandermix?

It was rolled out for the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic (having been tested in various forms from 2006).

Scientists started looking at the Narcolepsy link early 2010 and had substantial evidence of the link around Autumn 2010.

Around 31 million people were administered in total (some single some double). Which is going to be minute compared to the various Covid vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Seeing an article like this on RTE would give people reassurance that the vaccines are very effective and possibly relief anxiety for some people who are worried about health effects or more lockdowns looming etc

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1385580666629234688

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Seeing an article like this on RTE would give people reassurance that the vaccines are very effective and possibly relief anxiety for some people who are worried about health effects or more lockdowns looming etc

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1385580666629234688

Advertisement