Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2019, 09:24   #391
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Sodalis View Post
It hit the south quite badly. I was working in Limerick at the time. Massive ancient trees were torn up, roofs tore up... there was widespread damage. A tree fell through the house I was staying in and it tore apart a lot of the outside structures.
The thing was that Storm Darwin became a nowcast with met Eireann only highlighting it as an orange event in some areas as sheds were being torn apart and trees were coming down completely blocking roads around here for miles.

Livestock were electrocuted and died from fallen electricity lines in fields. Some animals were caught in sheds as roofs were blown off.

All this sounds crazy but at the height of the storm here at around 1.00 PM in the day the postman turned up. I tried to get him to stay and shelter but he decided to go on and only narrowly avoided being flattened by an avenue where many trees were felled by the strength of the wind in minutes.

The other thing I remember was I had moved a high sided trailer to the side of the house with twelve bags of cement in it. At the peak of the storm - this was rocking up off its wheels. It was very fortunate that more lives weren't lost imo.

Last edited by gozunda; 15-03-2019 at 09:31.
Advertisement
22-04-2019, 17:18   #392
sryanbruen

This is becoming a tradition at this stage. Here's my storm comparison table for Irish stations now updated with the maximum 10-minute mean wind speeds for Storm Gareth included.

Data from Met Éireann.
22-04-2019, 20:45   #393
corsav6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
This is becoming a tradition at this stage. Here's my storm comparison table for Irish stations now updated with the maximum 10-minute mean wind speeds for Storm Gareth included.

Data from Met Éireann.
Hey sryanbruen, just wondering why Newport station is missing from your lists?
22-04-2019, 22:01   #394
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsav6 View Post
Hey sryanbruen, just wondering why Newport station is missing from your lists?
Been a while since I created the first one of the storm comparison tables so I cannot remember the reason why I chose those stations specifically but if you'd like me to include Newport, I can.

Last edited by sryanbruen; 22-04-2019 at 22:04.
Thanks from:
23-04-2019, 07:50   #395
corsav6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
Been a while since I created the first one of the storm comparison tables so I cannot remember the reason why I chose those stations specifically but if you'd like me to include Newport, I can.
To be honest I was more curious as I've seen a few comparison charts around the web and most omitted Newport too. I assumed it was a sub station or something.
Thanks for sharing these here, it's very handy to have a chart for comparing locations.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion